Banner by Lucifer

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Paste Eaters Anonymous

How to Label Your Scrapbook (Or any photo album) on Its Spine
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2
Default How to Label Your Scrapbook (Or any photo album) on Its Spine

. . . so you can tell what the book is by looking at the bookshelf, without having to pull each one out and look inside.

I'm so excited! I finally found a wonderful way to solve this problem!

OK, so you have these photo albums (or you don't, but for the purposes of this thread, I'm assuming you do) - either photo albums or scrapbook albums.

Photo albums are albums that have slots you simply slide the photos into (don't use the magnetic, sticky ones). Scrapbook albums are ones that have blank pages you design and decorate yourself, with photos, papers, and embellishments.

My mother used to label her (magnetic) albums by writing directly on the spine with magic marker. I hated the look of that. I tried those dialing labelers, but those looked cruddy and could start to peel off. I've used stickers, but those tend to peel as well, and none of it works well on a post-bound album.

For the photo albums, I had finallyfound some metal clip-on label holders from Oriental Trading Company.

These are great for the slip-in photo albums, such as this one (I have several of this exact one):

But post-bound scrapbook albums don't have a big-enough, solid spine, but a curved piece in between the two book-ends, like so:

Many other album types also lack a solid spine.

In trying to solve this issue yesterday, I found some sites where scrapbookers were discussing this very problem, and one person had a terrific solution:

You take a tag (like the tags you get from the office supply store (only mine are acid-free, etc., from a scrapbook store):

Cover it with paper to coordinate with the book itself (or just cover the bottom square part of the tag). Trim it narrower, if you like, if it is a very narrow album. Label the tag with the name of the album, such as, "Josie's Eighth Birthday Party."

Run a coordinating ribbon through the tag, attach it inside to the top screw of the album (under a flap), and let it hang down the side.

Here's a picture of how this girl did it, showing all her albums in a bookcase:

I started doing this for my completed scrapbooks last night, and it looks great! For instance, I have a navy blue album of our trip to DC, and I made a tag for it using one of the red polka-dotted papers that I used in the album, hung by a colonial blue ribbon. Adorable, and very neat (as in tidy) looking!

Sometimes I'm amazed by my inability to think outside of my own boxes. In hindsight, this solution seems like it should have been obvious to me ages ago. Oh well. That's what the internet is for, I guess.

Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Kavik Brock
n00bing it up in a game

My Mood:

You may want to think about relocating the scrapbooks from that top shelf down to the bottom shelf. That shelf is really getting bowed.

That stuff gets heavy!

P.S. I'll have to pass along the advice to the wife; if she ever gets around to working on her scrapbooking, again.
Kavik Brock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Not my shelf! That picture was from the lady whose idea it was about putting the tags on, and her room.

(My tags are much cuter.)
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote