Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic

Winter time! What temperature do you keep your home?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Briana Dawson
Support Removed

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1
Default Winter time! What temperature do you keep your home?

We keep ours at 68F. In the morning just before the kids are awake i turn the temp up to 72-73, and then back down after they are dressed. After that point it stays at 68F and comes on as needed.

Is 68F to luxurious? I have heard of people living in 60-65.

Our average Gas/Electric bill is $237.00

What about you?

Reply Posted by Merovigan,
Lots of people commit suicide. Lots of gangmebers kill each other. I care not for those people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoL mubble View Post
I'll take a class so you can choke on my gooder gonads more better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoL mubble View Post
I need someone to climb my really long pole :P
---------------------------------------------
Briana Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Vengence Opus
It's all in a day.

My Mood:

Last night it hit 16F. Tonight it's supposed to be eleven. We have one medium-sized space heater that runs like a scalded dog, since our crappy old wall heaters don't modulate. (They picked an awesome time to go shitty. )

I'm wearing two pairs of socks, insulated slippers, long johns, flannel pajama pants, Carhartt double-thick work pants, two long john shirts, and a polar fleece...inside the house.
Vengence Opus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

At night, while sleeping I believe we have it set to 65. Daytime, it fluctuates between 68-70 depending on how cold it is and what our tolerance level is on that day. Normally, I'd say 70 is more the average because we have an enormous window at the front of our apartment which is rather drafty. Ghosty put plastic sheeting on it last winter, seemed to help somewhat, but not completely. We also have a large staircase leading from the outside front vestibule up to our place - and our downstairs neighbor (a business) always leaves it open - again, not great for us.

We have NO windows on the sides - it's a railroad apartment so barely any sunlight comes in to warm it up. Plus, high ceilings to boot with skylight (that do no use at all).

My gas/electric bill is astronomical. The highest was around $275. For a 1 bedroom apartment. Could you faint? You can see we're being rather conservative so it has to be all the cold air/warm air leaking and it isn't easy to heat up/cool down all the dead space in the ceilings.

I have a house on the market, which is taking forever to sell although just got an offer a couple of days ago and counter offer is in the works, so hopefull there is an end to living in *this* apartment. I paid this much in my 2500 square foot house for the same bills!

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

well its about 40 outside and i haven't turned on the heat yet. its about 65 inside. this weekend its supposed to go down to 30 though and I think I won't be able to hold out anymore on turning on the heat. nonetheless i like it cold when I sleep and doubt i will heat above 65
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elora Lunasea View Post
At night, while sleeping I believe we have it set to 65. Daytime, it fluctuates between 68-70 depending on how cold it is and what our tolerance level is on that day. Normally, I'd say 70 is more the average because we have an enormous window at the front of our apartment which is rather drafty. Ghosty put plastic sheeting on it last winter, seemed to help somewhat, but not completely. We also have a large staircase leading from the outside front vestibule up to our place - and our downstairs neighbor (a business) always leaves it open - again, not great for us.

We have NO windows on the sides - it's a railroad apartment so barely any sunlight comes in to warm it up. Plus, high ceilings to boot with skylight (that do no use at all).

My gas/electric bill is astronomical. The highest was around $275. For a 1 bedroom apartment. Could you faint? You can see we're being rather conservative so it has to be all the cold air/warm air leaking and it isn't easy to heat up/cool down all the dead space in the ceilings.

I have a house on the market, which is taking forever to sell although just got an offer a couple of days ago and counter offer is in the works, so hopefull there is an end to living in *this* apartment. I paid this much in my 2500 square foot house for the same bills!

i have a one bedroom as well and my electric can get to over 200 but only in the summer because I am a freak for ac. everything i have is electric and there is no gas so electric is the only bill (besides vonage, cable, water, etc)
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Kristian

Rez Date: Feb 26, 2005
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

We've set it to 60. I wear a sweater.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

Rez Date: Nov 03, 2007
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Awards Showcase
Cuter Than Thou 5k trainwreck 

I use a wood burning stove. $200 U.S. per year gets me the annual supply of firewood I need for an 80 degree home. I use a gas heated forced air system for short bursts of heat in the morning. My gas and electric never crosses $120 a month. Usually about $80 to $90 in the summer. 1200SqFt home. (^_^)y
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Jen Kawaguichi
Suspected person

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I set it for 63 at night and when I'm going at work. In the morning for getting ready for work it goes up to 68 and for about three hours in the evening it goes to 70. I'm lucky to have relatively inexpensive electricity here and probably average around $175/mo during the winter. Oh, and it was 6 degrees F outside when I checked the thermometer a couple of hours ago. It's up to about 16, now.
Jen Kawaguichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Jen Kawaguichi
Suspected person

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotgoing Sideways View Post
I use a wood burning stove.
I'd love to have a big masonry fireplace/oven; oven on one side and fire place on the other.

Jen Kawaguichi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
The following user says thanks:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Sansarya
Just Sans

Rez Date:
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Today: Snow. High near 8. Wind chill values between -8 and -16. Northeast wind between 13 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: A 50 percent chance of snow before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -13. Wind chill values between -24 and -33. North wind between 13 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
Since the wind is from the northeast today, we're keeping it at 70 degrees. If it turns south we'll raise it to 72-75, if it turns north, we'll keep it at 72. West is 70. The house is old, and we've tried to fix all the gaps we can find, but drafts happen and there's an age range of 4 yrs to 62 years in the house.
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Monna
soulless cunt

Rez Date: Mar 03, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Monna
Awards Showcase
Bimbo 5k trainwreck 

OhhhSans

I set my therm to 59 at night and 68 when I m at home..

Wed to be in the teens

Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Textured Surface

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Textured Surface is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Don Mill

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I live in South FL most of the time I have my AC on... too hot outside.

Don Mill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Richard Waveington
Blast it with piss

My Mood:

I'm afraid to look at the gas bill..
Sporting Dresden
Richard Waveington is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
Phoenix Psaltery
He of the Eight Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mill View Post
I live in South FL most of the time I have my AC on... too hot outside.

P2
I can figure the number of millimeters in a light year, but don't ask me to do algebra.
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is online now   Reply With Quote
8 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

+/- 68. We have a little electric heater we can plug in under the computer table if it gets really frosty out, because the old house has some drafts. But mostly we have sweaters, shawls, blankets, and etc to make the difference.

Have a 'budget plan" with a local gas company- kimlin propane- I know the guy who owns it and he's wonderful. Pay $200/ month year round, that covers heat, hot water, and cooking, not to mention the fact that he'll come out in an emergency.

Would love to install a woodstove in the new passive-solar radiant heat addition, but the budget isn't looking so good right now.

Here's the company I find interesting:

http://www.contura.eu/ir/modeller/

and one of the models I'd love to get:

http://www.contura.eu/ir/modeller/c6...ntro&meny=c650

[note the oven potential, Jen]

And Florida people are ALWAYS obnoxious about the weather in wintertime- when I was working at Partsearch every single Floridian had to brag about their warm day or their garden. It got to the point where I just said, "yeah, but I'm going skiing tomorrow, and in July, I won't have to run my AC."

:P
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
Don Mill

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
And Florida people are ALWAYS obnoxious about the weather in wintertime- when I was working at Partsearch every single Floridian had to brag about their warm day or their garden. It got to the point where I just said, "yeah, but I'm going skiing tomorrow, and in July, I won't have to run my AC."

:P
To be honest, I hate the fact that here there seems to be two seasons: Hell and Summer; I love experiencing all seasons during the year (specially winter)

Don Mill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #18
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Often 63 at night, sometimes 65 in the day for an hour or so if it seems particularly chilly.

coco
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
GradyE
Hybrid Angel

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck The GradyE 

My Mom's basement is F****NG FREEZING!

I think she's trying to tell me something.
GradyE is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #20
Bunnie
making Unregistered a sammich!

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

68-70. Record cold here this year

Its 1 in the afternoon and its 26 outside. I love fall, but we barely got one this year. Summer started early last year, so I think fall and spring are becoming obsolete here. Sad really

Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #21
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
i have a one bedroom as well and my electric can get to over 200 but only in the summer because I am a freak for ac. everything i have is electric and there is no gas so electric is the only bill (besides vonage, cable, water, etc)
A/C is way more important than heat! When I lived in Florida (a mere 3 years) In the summers, I used to run from the air conditioned car, to the air conditioned office, to the air conditioned car, to the air conditioned house. Rinse and repeat.
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #22
Vengence Opus
It's all in a day.

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunns View Post
68-70. Record cold here this year

Its 1 in the afternoon and its 26 outside. I love fall, but we barely got one this year. Summer started early last year, so I think fall and spring are becoming obsolete here. Sad really
Totally.

It went from shitty hot to freezing ass cold it seems. We're topped out at 27 degrees. (-2.7C for yous metrics. )

Everyone else gets global warming, we get Alaska cold.
Vengence Opus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Fatz
Shitter's Full

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Fatz
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I use a 3 zone electronic thermostat.

6:00AM to 8:00 AM 70 degrees
8:00AM to 4:00 PM 62 degrees
4:00PM to 9:00 PM 70 degrees.
9:00PM to 6:00 AM 62 degrees.

That's central gas heat, around 1500 sq ft house. Gas bill runs about 120 a month during the winter.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -KFM

Plurk, AvatarsUnited, TeamFortress2.
Fatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
Briana Dawson
Support Removed

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Our home is a 3 bedroom, 2000 square feet, gas/electric. We are on a budget pay program which has us at $237.00/mo payment for gas and electric.

I find that high a bill extremely distressing. I cannot imagine keeping the house any colder with kids. I hate being bundled up the house.

The home is a tri-level with a family room where the T.V., computers, etc. are located, so i run a space heater in the family room and it keeps it really snug in there while the rest of the house drops to 68. It is 34F outside right now and we are expecting a snow storm.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #25
Madame Maracas
Professional Smartmouth

Rez Date: Jun 07, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I'm in a radiator heated building, and the bill is embedded in the rent, which is great!

They turn it down during the day, which can get quite cold for lil at home all day me, but w/enough blankies and sweaters and such I'm ok most of the time.

My living room wall, the long one is on a lil diagonal, so the winter wind from the NorthWest hits it square on, which can be brutal at times. I'd bet they're aiming for 60 in the day or a little above and maybe 5 degrees warmer in the wake up and get home from work times.

Founder & DJ - RadioRadio
6 - 9 pm SLT Fridays
6 - 9 pm SLT Saturdays

Professional Smartmouth
Lover of puns (bad & worse)

Madame Maracas on Plurk

Please help me raise funds to fight Cancer!

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/MadameMaracasRadioRadio
Madame Maracas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #26
Myth
Fuck you. I'm not a n00b.

My Mood:

If you have electric heat and turn your thermostat down more than 3 degrees at a time then you aren't saving any money unless your home has superb insulation. It will take more electricity to heat the home the home back up from a low setting like 62 to 70 as opposed to maintaining it at 67 and then popping it to 70 in the evening.

For the record I have a heat pump, 1200 sft of a poorly insulated house from 1955 and my electricity bills run me $125 - 140 in the winter. (I always forget to turn my thermostat down so that's with maintaining that temp throughout the day. )
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #27
Briana Dawson
Support Removed

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

What is a heat pump?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #28
Myth

My Mood:

Basically an electric heating and air conditioning unit. It has a unit outside that draws air in, pulls it over electric coils in the attic to heat it up and disperses it throughout the house, in the summer time does the same thing but opposite. (It's a really ideal thing in mild climates like where I live, if it gets below a certain freezing temperature it forces electric heat strips to come on and that can be expensive but it rarely gets that cold here)

Old 12-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #29
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Bri, had one of these:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...407&sa=image#p

[but it was a 3-plaque unit]

hooked up to the barbecue tanks in the winter [small hole for the hose to go through an exterior wall in the basement and an interior wall in the livingroom] when the kids were small- heated the entire downstairs of the house for quite a while on one tank, which we'd take to the Agway to be recharged as needed [had two tanks, actually, so when we swapped them out, I'd make the run].

Lovely cozy heat without raising the bills through the roof- kept the heat low in the upstairs and made up their beds with big thick quilts and blankets.

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi

Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #30
Shagazm
Radon Detector

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

72 and I'm still cold
Shagazm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #31
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I've got a 50 gallon drum full of oily rags in the basement. I light it on fire in the Fall and let it burn out in the spring. The only problem is keeping the homeless guys out of my basement.

Actually, I'm stuck with wall units in my crappy duplex. They don't have a temperature setting, but I keep the heat at "barely tolerable" and just wear wool socks and slippers and sweatshirts. I wish I could keep it warmer, but the electric bills would eat me alive. The insulation in this place is terrible.

It was 11 degrees this morning according to my thermometer. 11 and windy, so who knows what the wind chill added to that.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #32
Monna
soulless cunt

Rez Date: Mar 03, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Monna
Awards Showcase
Bimbo 5k trainwreck 

Here comes the snow

Monna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #33
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

yeah, we got ours a few days ago. About four inches... of course it's all slush now what with the backhoe and the boots tromping through the yard and the burn pile.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #34
Myth

My Mood:

It never snows here, one hour west and I can make all the snow angels I want. At best we will get one or two icy road days and the whole city shuts down because panic over it.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #35
Bunnie
making Unregistered a sammich!

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Same here, we rarely get snow. After living in Tahoe for 4 yrs, I laugh at the teensy bit we do sometimes get. The whole city shuts down here too. Its silly
Bunnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #36
Ursula Cinquetti
Re-member

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

70 when we are home. 62 when we are not. 60 when sleeping.

Snow storm now, but not enough for a snow day.
Ursula Cinquetti is offline   Reply With Quote