Total Awards: 2

Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #1324
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi

France 0 - 1 Germany
Brazil 2 - 1 Colombia

Well, the good news is that Germany and Brazil will face each other in the semifinal, so only one of them will make it to the final. At this point, I'm rooting for any team that is not Germany or Brazil.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #1325
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

At Wimbledon, it will be a ladies' final between Bouchard and Kvitova; and on the men's side it's going to be a hopefully epic Djokovic/Federer match.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #1326
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
France 0 - 1 Germany
Brazil 2 - 1 Colombia

Well, the good news is that Germany and Brazil will face each other in the semifinal, so only one of them will make it to the final. At this point, I'm rooting for any team that is not Germany or Brazil.
When was the last time that France beat Germany?
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #1327
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

See what I mean? They're due.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #1328
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Security cameras captured rioting in Switzerland following their team's round-of-16 loss to Argentina:

3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #1329
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Some of our cats riot like that. I wonder if they're Swiss.
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #1330
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Petra Kvitova wins Wimbledon!

ETA: As does Novak Djokovic - nice 5-set fight!

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 07-06-2014 at 04:49 PM.
The following user says thanks:

Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #1331
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

So the first three stages of the Tour de France are done. As is often the case, the first three aren't in France proper. This year, they were in Britain (Leeds-Harrogate, York-Sheffield, Cambridge-London). A nice tour of the countryside and a couple of decent cityscapes.

Only two really important developments over the three days. The first was on Day 1, when Brit star rider Mark Cavendish recklessly crashed into Aussie Simon Gerrans mere meters from the finish:

Gerrans wasn't hurt too badly; however, Cavendish dislocated his shoulder and was ruled out of the Tour de France. A bit of a blow for UK fans, as Cavendish was a green-jersey favorite this year; but the collision was his fault really. Cavendish is apologetic, saying that he really wanted to win; but Gerrans had a very real shot at the yellow jersey that stage and Cavendish robbed both himself and Gerrans of that opportunity.

Moving along:

Crowds. They've been growing steadily more annoying over the last several years and this year it seems to be coming to a head. Several riders have collided with fans' body parts and camera phones this tour. Worst is the propensity of large numbers of individuals who, after having spent hours waiting to see the riders, immediately proceed to turn their backs on them once they arrive (need to get a selfie, don'tcha know), leaving those spectators completely oblivious to the movements of the bikes approaching and zipping around them inches away. Although today in London the crowd left the road a lot more open than on previous days, one guy with a camera managed to get himself directly hit by a cyclist, because the intelligent thing to do when a shoulder-to-shoulder battalion of hard racing bicycles is rapidly approaching your position is step out into the road and expect them to create a way to get around you. Luckily the word is that neither the spectator nor the cyclist were severely hurt; but if this behavior persists into France when the tour moves there (starting tomorrow), it's only a matter of time before a serious crash results. And because of this very real risk, several riders have been seen on Twitter gently imploring their fans to please stay back from the road and leave the riders room to actually race.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #1332
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

At a minor league baseball game yesterday between West Michigan and Ft. Wayne:

Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #1333
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Sad one-in-a-million accident.
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #1334
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 07-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #1335
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Jesus. It's only 30 minutes into the Brazil-Germany semifinal and Germany is up 0 - 5. I...I don't know...

The last team to even score 5 goals in a World Cup semifinal...was Brazil, in 1958 (against France, 5 - 2)

Half-time, 0 - 5.

For crying out loud, it's been 1998 since Brazil has had 5 goals scored against them over the course of an entire World Cup tournament. And this is just the first half's score.

69' 0 -6.

90' Brazil scores a freaking goal. Too bad the score is still 1 - 7.

FINAL: Brazil 1 - 7 Germany. Utter humiliation.

Over the PA, German fans are being told to remain in the stadium until police are arranged to see them safely out.

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 07-08-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #1336
Kaimi Kyomoon
Kah-EE-mee

My Mood:

Quote:
So the first three stages of the Tour de France are done. As is often the case, the first three aren't in France proper. This year, they were in Britain (Leeds-Harrogate, York-Sheffield, Cambridge-London). A nice tour of the countryside and a couple of decent cityscapes.

Only two really important developments over the three days. The first was on Day 1, when Brit star rider Mark Cavendish recklessly crashed into Aussie Simon Gerrans mere meters from the finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B96ldgjS_kw

Gerrans wasn't hurt too badly; however, Cavendish dislocated his shoulder and was ruled out of the Tour de France. A bit of a blow for UK fans, as Cavendish was a green-jersey favorite this year; but the collision was his fault really. Cavendish is apologetic, saying that he really wanted to win; but Gerrans had a very real shot at the yellow jersey that stage and Cavendish robbed both himself and Gerrans of that opportunity.

Moving along:

Crowds. They've been growing steadily more annoying over the last several years and this year it seems to be coming to a head. Several riders have collided with fans' body parts and camera phones this tour. Worst is the propensity of large numbers of individuals who, after having spent hours waiting to see the riders, immediately proceed to turn their backs on them once they arrive (need to get a selfie, don'tcha know), leaving those spectators completely oblivious to the movements of the bikes approaching and zipping around them inches away. Although today in London the crowd left the road a lot more open than on previous days, one guy with a camera managed to get himself directly hit by a cyclist, because the intelligent thing to do when a shoulder-to-shoulder battalion of hard racing bicycles is rapidly approaching your position is step out into the road and expect them to create a way to get around you. Luckily the word is that neither the spectator nor the cyclist were severely hurt; but if this behavior persists into France when the tour moves there (starting tomorrow), it's only a matter of time before a serious crash results. And because of this very real risk, several riders have been seen on Twitter gently imploring their fans to please stay back from the road and leave the riders room to actually race.
Thanks. I'll just add a bit. Marcel Kittle won today and two of the days in the U.K.

Everyone, including me, agrees that the roadside crowds in England were like nothing they've seen before The riders were kind of thrilled by all the extra attention but among the crowds were lots of people who had never seen a bike race before and didn't understand what a mass of two hundred speeding cyclists is like. Quite a few of them with their cameras failed to get out of the way fast enough. My favorite replay is a shot of one of the riders knocking a camera out of the hands of one of the spectators. It was a relief to get back to France today and the normal craziness.

Chris Froome, the defending Tour champion was involved in a pretty serious crash when two wheels touched and a collision ensued. He had pretty bad road rash, but got back on his bike quickly. I just read that he has been given the all clear for tomorrow in spite of an injury to his left wrist which put it in some doubt.

Tomorrow the peletan rides on eleven sections of cobble stones. It's the day most of them have been fearing the most. Rain is forecast which would make it even more dangerous.
Kaimi Kyomoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #1337
Kaimi Kyomoon
Kah-EE-mee

My Mood:

Quote:
At a minor league baseball game yesterday between West Michigan and Ft. Wayne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXbtJvhtCZo
Wow.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #1338
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimi Kyomoon View Post
Chris Froome, the defending Tour champion was involved in a pretty serious crash when two wheels touched and a collision ensued. He had pretty bad road rash, but got back on his bike quickly. I just read that he has been given the all clear for tomorrow in spite of an injury to his left wrist which put it in some doubt.
That'll be good for Sky fans. When I saw how quickly Froome seemed to recover I thought it wasn't so bad; but only after he was back on his bike did a camera get around to his left side. Nasty scrape, yeah - but yeah word is it's mostly superficial and he's still in. And it's always interesting to watch the nurses in convertibles giving medical care to a rider's leg while he's pedaling at speed down the road. He was lucky though; I mean it was right at the beginning of the day and he never had to work hard to get back in the peloton.

I'm not quite ready to say yet that the madness of the crowds was left behind in Britain. Today was certainly better, but we'll see what happens over the next few days.

Always worried about the cobbles. I didn't know until now that rain was forecast for tomorrow - uh oh. I hope they can stay safe. They had a little bit of cobbles today up there by the Belgium border but it was dry and I don't think there were any falls.

A couple of years ago I was able to post things like stage maps, elevation profiles, results and all this from my ipod; but I can't this year. NBC (the American network that has the broadcast rights for the Tour here) has a dedicated app with all the goodies on it, but they want freaking $25 dollars for it! I used to get around it by getting SKODA's free Tour app, or whichever company does the job for the Australian market (also free); but ever since last year, NBC has made Apple keep the foreign apps from being available to US customers. So while I can watch the Tour on TV with no problems but if I want data I gotta go to the official TdF website, where it doesn't come in easy printscreen-and-repost-friendly form.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #1339
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

What a nightmare stage for Chris Froome, in the pouring rain. Once again he crashed early - into a small traffic barricade that he seems to have not seen, giving himself a matching bruise on his right hip. Took him a while to get a new bike and restart, and managed to catch up to the peloton...only to crash yet again a few minutes later. It was too much for last year's champion; he's now withdrawn from the Tour.

And that was before the race even got to the cobblestones. Once they did there was much slipping, sliding, falling, and crashing as expected; sometimes into spectators. Everyone crossed the line today a wet, muddy mess. Kinda looked like I used to when I'd come home from a bike ride as a RL kid.

Was a very good day for Lars Boom, though. There was no catching him!

And Nibali increased his lead and holds onto the yellow. I was hoping Contador would beat him out today! But nope. And Contador's really got some ground to make up in this tour if he's gonna win like I want him to.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #1340
Kaimi Kyomoon
Kah-EE-mee

My Mood:

I bet Team Sky is wishing now that they brought Bradley Wiggens to le Tour. Honestly, I've been watching cycling for a few years now and I don't think I've ever seen so much carnage in one day. Nibali looked great.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #1341
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Argentina advances to the World Cup final over Netherlands in penalties, 0 - 0(2-4)

Argentina will face Germany in the final. Brazil will be scheduled to play Netherlands in the third-place match.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #1342
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Man, Matteo Trentin beat out Sagan on stage 7 today by an inch...an inch! Less than a tire-thickness! What a photo finish!

Tomorrow the Tour begins to wind its way into the mountains. The sprinters have had it good the first week; now it's time for the climbers to start shining.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #1343
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Brazil vs. Netherlands now, the "third place match" so to speak.

2' Brazil has wasted no time setting the tone, as one of their defenders (who had been red-carded earlier in the tournament) immediately fouls a Netherlands striker, drawing a yellow card and a penalty kick which is converted, 0 -1.

Score at the half is 0 - 2; Netherlands second goal was clearly from an offside position but the line ref didn't catch it.

91' Netherlands scoots one in during stoppage time, 0 - 3. Nicely set up, too.

That's it - FINAL Brazil 0 - 3 Netherlands. Far from the dignifying saving-throw that Brazil's fans were hoping for, the hosts go quietly into the night. For Netherlands, that third goal was important because both of the first two goals weren't really legitimate: while the penalty kick was arguably deserved and the Brazilian player who committed to foul really should've been red carded for it, it in fact took place about two feet before box. And the second goal was offside as mentioned already. This third goal was legit and shuts down speculation that the refereeing decided this match...and it was some bizarre refereeing too. The head ref finally gave Brazil a yellow card for diving, which they've been begging for all tournament - but even it was unsatisfying, because it was given to a player who for once really had been fouled.

Unlike with probably any other team, Brazil's spectacular failure at the end of this Cup might well have real life political implications. Everybody knows that the country was severely divided over the tremendous cost of hosting the tournament, and Brazil winning or at least making it into the final might've gone a long way toward smoothing things over. Now, there's a very real possibility that President Rousseff, who championed bringing the Cup and 2016's summer Olympics to Brazil, will not still be president after the next election.

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 07-12-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #1344
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Germany beats Argentina 1 - 0 in extra time to win the World Cup.

I has a sad and need a hug.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #1345
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Today, Day 9! Tony Gallopin won the yellow jersey away from Vincenzo Nipali, who's had it up until now. Gallopin takes it a decent minute and a half ahead; and although Nipali has been great up until now, we're coming to the big climbs and there's no guarantee he won't fall further back. Far from any guarantee that Gallopin will be able to hang onto it for a while, either. Still, the French win the day before Bastille Day was nice to see - be even nicer to see a Frenchman win tomorrow.

The actual stage winner though was German Tony Martin, who crossed by himself more than two and a half minutes ahead of the peloton; in fact he was ahead pretty much all day and took the polka-dot jersey for his effort. When the rest of the riders finally arrived, Cancellara took second.

Sagan still wears the green jersey because he's still Peter Sagan and quite honestly, I wouldn't recognize him in any other color shirt.

Tomorrow is Stage 10! It should be quite the grind:

Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #1346
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

What a Tour-gone-wrong this race has been. Mark Cavendish - out in Stage 2. Chris Froome, out in Stage 5. And today, Stage 10 claims Alberto Contador. He had an awful crash only around 60km in, and took a long time to get back on his bike. He tried hard, but I guess he was just hurt too badly, and after about half an hour he called the team car to pick him up and retired from the Tour de France. Word is he had a broken leg, which makes his half-hour post-crash ride both impressive and horrific to think about.

So now that almost all the mega-faves are out, lots of people are reaching in the dark wondering who among the field now has the best chance of winning. The new favorite is Vincenzo Nibali, who took back his yellow jersey today from Gallopin (see yesterday's summary). Joaquim Rodriguez fought off Voeckler for the mountains jersey; and the green shirt...well, duh. Although the way this Tour has been going I think Sagan should be afraid - not of his fellow competitors, but the road. It's just eating up the biggest stars this year, and he's one of the biggest stars that's left.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #1347
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Today was a rest day - no riding.

But, now Fabian Cancellara has abandoned the Tour de France, saying that he wants time to rest, recuperate, and train up for the World Championships later this year.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #1348
Kaimi Kyomoon
Kah-EE-mee

My Mood:

Frenchman Tony Gallopin, of Lotto-Belisol, won stage 11 of the Tour de France from Besancon to Oyonnax. Another pre-race favorite, American Andrew Talansky was in trouble today, suffering from a hurt back incured during a crash on Monday. Yesterday was a rest day. Talansky just fell back and then stopped by the side of the road. His team manager, former competitor Robbie Hunter crouched down and talked to him for about 4 minutes. Then Andrew got back on his bike and methodically pedaled alone to the finish line, just ahead of the broom wagon. He made it under the day's time limit. We'll have to wait and see if he continues tomorrow.
I think Nibali looks good for this year's Tour; the mountains so far haven't seemed to phase him.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #1349
Kaimi Kyomoon
Kah-EE-mee

My Mood:

And speaking of front runners who have crashed out of the race, Andy Schleck, one time tour winner from Luxembourg, failed to start last Tuesday due to injuries sustained the day before.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #1350
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

So far the shirts remain the same. Nibali is pretty much uncontested - I had wondered if he would start to fade in the mountains after doing so well on the flats but he's been on it - yesterday's attack at the end was absolutely brilliant and Nibali was unstoppable. After all the favorites crashed out of the Tour it seemed like the race would be wide open, but Nibali has dominated and unless something astounding happens he'll be wearing the yellow in Paris I think.

Today, Rafal Majka won his first stage ever, so good on him.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #1351
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

They're doing the Tour as Shirts vs. Skins? When next will it be on?
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 07-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #1352
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

It's on every day, Govi!

Well no, all the riders do wear shirts. But now that they are in the mountain stages and the weather is hot, every once in a while, and especially near the end, they'll open their shirts, if you really need to see some skin...

Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #1353
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Rory McIlroy wins the Open Championship at Hoylake! He becomes only the third golfer in history to win three majors before the age of 25 (the other two being Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods). He won the US Open Championship in 2011 and the PGA Championship in 2012.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #1354
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

What an exciting and heartbreaking stage today in the Tour. Swiss cyclist Martin Elmiger jumped literally right off the line to take a breakaway lead, along with New Zealander Jack Bauer (who is doubtless on some secret mission to protect the US president). They stayed commandingly ahead of the peloton for the entire 222 kilometers of the stage - only to be caught up to and passed with less than 50 meters to the finish line1 My god, I would be crying my eyes out. How terrible an end to such a brilliant effort.

Norwegian Alex Kristoff took the victory, his second stage win this year.

Elmiger was chosen for the stage's "combative riding" award for his effort, but this is certainly little consolation.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #1355
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Are women not allowed to race in the Tour?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #1356
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

No. There have been petitions and they are throwing them a bone this year, just a one day race.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cy...tour-de-france

Quote:
This is not the first time a women’s race has taken place during the Tour de France. Between 1984 and 1989, a women’s stage race took place during the men’s event. The first Tour Cycliste Feminine included eighteen stages and was won by American Marianne Martin. The women endured long transfers, but they finished on the Champs-Elysées on the same day as the men’s Tour.

The 1989 edition was the last time the women raced at the same time as the men. The race was not held again until 1992, when it was moved to August. Over the next decade, the event struggled due to financial shortfalls and organizational difficulties. In 1998, after Tour de France organizers contended that the race’s name was a breach of trademark, the women’s event was renamed the Grande Boucle Feminine. Controversy over unpaid prize money dogged the race in 2003 and longtime title sponsor Monoprix withdrew.

After a year off, a new organizer stepped in and revived the Grande Boucle, but it was a national-level, as opposed to UCI-level, race. The final edition ran in 2009, when Emma Pooley won the overall. By then, the event had been reduced to four stages.

To some degree, the women’s race calendar has paralleled the story of the women’s Tour de France. In recent seasons, races have steadily dropped off the calendar due to the difficulties of finding sponsorship. The ten-day Tour de l’Aude was discontinued after the 2010 edition, and the women’s Tour of Italy—the Giro Donne, renamed the Giro Rosa by its new organizer—dropped from ten days to eight.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:

Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #1357
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

That's a good question so I looked it up.

Apparently, it is not; it's one the point races for the men's Road World Cup - basically all the (many) different races that cyclists race in give them points depending on how well they do; and at the end of the year, the most points wins the big award. There is a Women's too, but they have their own races. Unfortunately, all their races seem to currently be one-day events. The men's Cup has plenty of one-day events too, but there aren't any large tours for women today.

It sounds like, starting in the 50's, there was a multi-stage women's tour race in France, but it always struggled to get funding and never had the same publicity as the historic Tour de France, and seems to have shrunk little by little until the last year it was held, 2009.

ETA Oops! I guess I shoulda reloaded the page before I replied. Didn't realize that Io already had it covered.
The following user offers hugs:

Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #1358
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I had to look it up too because I do remember women in that race and thought I was imagining it, heh.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #1359
Kaimi Kyomoon
Kah-EE-mee

My Mood:

In the final few kilometers Bauer was able to shake Elmiger and see a chance for a stage win. Unfortunately for him that chance turned out to be a mirage. At the last possible moment the peloton over took him and he ended up in 10th place. Sprinter Alexander Kristoff, a Norwegian on the Russian Katusha team took a closely contested first place. No jerseys changed hands today.

That's Bauer in the blue kit.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 AM   #1360
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I think it's another case where the boys are afraid they might be beaten by girls. I couldn't find whether the courses were different for men and women in the London Olympics, but look at this: http://www.olympic.org/olympic-resul.../mountain-bike... almost identical times.