Commercials You Hate
Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2
Default Commercials You Hate

I hate the Vonage commercials. With an irrational passion.

I hate Laura Pruden, and I hate that I now have her name in my consciousness. I don't care who she is, and I hate that she has now wormed her way into my brain's filing cabinet.

I hate the Vonage commercial where the woman gargles the spit in her throat, saying "yuck." Though the other Vonage commercials aren't as bad, I hate them all, too. Not only on principle, but because I just individually hate them.

I'm not sure why - aside from the two things mentioned above - I hate these seemingly innocuous commercials so much, but I do. I hate them so viscerally that I will never, EVER, have Vonage phone service, even if they were the only phone company left in the entire world.

What commercials do you irrationally hate?

Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user offers hugs:

Old 12-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Asher Bertrand
Exercising demons

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I can't stand that Progressive Insurance lady. Too. Fucking. Chipper.
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Shagazm
Radon Detector

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Shagazm is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bertrand View Post
I can't stand that Progressive Insurance lady. Too. Fucking. Chipper.
And what's wup with her hair? Is she wearing one of those things that you stick in to poof it up? Only wearing it about as horribly as possible?

Nonetheless, I don't hate those commercials, though I should. Which is why I said the whole thing of what I hate and don't hate is irrational.

Shaggy, that Piggy commercial is one of my favorites!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Vudu

My Mood:

I don't see many commercials except on Hulu, and the worst commercials on Hulu are any of the 5-hour Energy ones. There's just something so half-assed manipulative about them that makes me want to vomit on my fists and then punch things.
Vudu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Oh yeah, here's another one I hate, but not so irrationally: The Tide commercial where the mother wears her daughter's blouse, gets a stain on it, and then LIES about it.

This is NOT okay for mothers to do. About anything. Much less something so trivial as taking a shirt without asking.

I'm serious. What kind of mother is that? And why do the Tide people treat this behavior so casually? Is this the sort of thing that is considered okay these days? Are people just supposed to EXPECT their mothers to lie to them?
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Shagazm
Radon Detector

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
Shaggy, that Piggy commercial is one of my favorites!
Why? Is your hearing starting to go? The pig gives me migraines.
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagazm View Post
Why? Is your hearing starting to go? The pig gives me migraines.
Cause he's so CUTE in all his little piggyness! And because I have put in my years ferrying around little kids that are not so different from him! And because of the play on the old nursery rhyme. Etc. Did I say any of this was rational? No!!

ALSO my favorite is that one with the woodchucks chucking wood. (I mentioned both of these in a former thread about commercials you love.)

P.S. Geico had one in this series that was so horrible I've noticed they removed it right fast. It had some guy yelling. Just this one, awful, monotone, loud and long yell. As if we turn on our TV's to hear that!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Cause he's so CUTE in all his little piggyness! And because I have put in my years ferrying around little kids that are not so different from him! And because of the play on the old nursery rhyme. Etc. Did I say any of this was rational? No!!

ALSO my favorite is that one with the woodchucks chucking wood. (I mentioned both of these in a former thread about commercials you love.)

P.S. Geico had one in this series that was so horrible I've noticed they removed it right fast. It had some guy yelling. Just this one, awful yell. As if we turn on our TV's to hear that!
Love the woodchuck one, and the one with R. Lee Ermey as the therapist.

I hate the Burger King commercials. All of them. I especially hate the new ones with the guy playing the flute. The ones with the Burger King are just creepy. I mean seriously. How would you react if you were in your house eating breakfast and you looked up and some guy in a creepy Halloween mask and a cape and tights was staring in your window with a breakfast sandwich in one hand. Would anyone NOT scream like a little girl then call the cops and/or dig out whatever weapon you had handy and start shooting, stabbing, clubbing or otherwise fighting for your life?

Those commercials make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
5 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Shagazm
Radon Detector

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I don't know, you guys, the woodchuck one is pretty terrible, as well.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
Vudu

My Mood:

I think I'd successfully suppressed those BK commercials--those are truly awful. The woodchucks crack me up, too. The pig... just kind of annoying, no big deal.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
Shagazm
Radon Detector

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Maybe y'all can just go form a Geico fan club.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagazm View Post
Maybe y'all can just go form a Geico fan club.
Not me - that whole Geico can save you money thing? It would have been about $400 more than Progressive or USAA if I had gone with them.

USAA rocks, and I don't think they advertise at all.

The odd thing is that Oryx and I get a lot of mail about veteran's benefits because of her service in Iraq and they all assume that I'm the vet. It's a little insulting of them to assume that the man must have been the one in the service, but, frankly, we both have a lot of other things that are more of an issue in our lives than that, so it isn't a big deal.

Now that I think of it, the other funny thing is that the local grocery store calls me by her last name. She kept her name when we got married. So when I buy food there, they all say "Thank you for shopping here Mr. Tempel" (not her real last name, but you get the point). I haven't got the energy to correct them, and it's a source of some comedy between the two of us, so I just ignore it.

For anyone out there who hates commercials and doesn't have a DVR - get a DVR. Set the shows you want to watch to record and just start watching them 15 minutes or so late. You can skip right through the commercials. It's wonderful.
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

There's a Crest commercial that Comcast plays between video clips on its website. Some Crest mouthwash. The commercial in itself is not bad: its informative, there's no blaring announcer at 10 decibels more than the program content and some might find the product offered satisfying. However, if as I do, you watch--oh, say 10 videos in a row at 2 minutes each--then you get walloped with Crest's 30 second commercial every 4 minutes (before every even number in your sequence of 10).

I once could tell you what the product's name is, but after muting the thing 30 or more times, I haven't a clue about anything except that it's purple, in a bottle, and Crest makes it. Oh, and I HATE it. So there, Crest. Your marketing mavens have muffed it, again!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Old 12-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

Rez Date: Nov 03, 2007
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Awards Showcase
Cuter Than Thou 5k trainwreck 

Every single "Buy your partner a $60k car for christmas" Lexus ad... (=_=)
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #17
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi

Wait...are you guys talking about those Geico commercials that all start like "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% on car insurance? Does (insert pun here)", followed by a visual joke illustrating the pun? Those were funny like the first 30 times; but anymore when the commercials start and I see the suited dweeb playing pocket pool and walking at the camera I'm just like [TONE OUT].

Builder
Virtual Urchin
Proud Owner of Post #5000
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
Weston Graves
Werebeagle

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I haven't seen a commercial in ages except intentionally on YouTube. But then I don't have a TV hooked up anywhere. So they're still as bad as they used to be? I had heard some were getting better than the shows -- not much of a stretch in some cases.
Weston Graves is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
Vudu

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
For anyone out there who hates commercials and doesn't have a DVR - get a DVR. Set the shows you want to watch to record and just start watching them 15 minutes or so late. You can skip right through the commercials. It's wonderful.
Or get an internet, and set the internet to download shows commercial free in the first place. YMMV.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #20
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotgoing Sideways View Post
Every single "Buy your partner a $60k car for christmas" Lexus ad... (=_=)
Not to mention they always have the car parked in the living room. How did they get the car in the house? Cars don't belong in houses! The floors aren't engineered to hold that kind of weight, they destroy just about any sort of flooring you have in there, drip stuff on the floor, they don't fit, and when you start them up to drive them out, they fill your home up with carbon monoxide! I have CHILDREN! WHY DOES LEXUS WANT TO KILL MY CHILDREN WITH CO2 POISONING!!??

Besides, It's going to cost more than the stupid car to replace the wall they had to tear out to get the car inside. It was probably load bearing, being an exterior wall. This is a catastrophe. WORST. CHRISTMAS. EVAR!!!
7 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #22
Richard Waveington
Blast it with piss

My Mood:

I hate them all with very rare exceptions.
Sporting Dresden
Richard Waveington is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #23
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Sometimes it pays to complain. I wrote the Tide people telling them how unhappy I was that they portrayed that mother lying as if it were a perfectly acceptable thing.

In return, they sent me a coupon for a free box of Tide!
This user groaned at this post:
5 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
3 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
The following user offers hugs:

Old 12-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #24
Ayu Sura

Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 5k trainwreck 

I hate the Capital One opera commercials. They make ZERO sense and are annoying!
You are coated with an Encrusted Foul-Smelling, Sparkly Substance.

- excerpt from You Awaken in Razor Hill
Ayu Sura is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #25
Phoenix Psaltery
He of the Eight Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

However, let me point out the PURPOSE of a commercial.

It is to make you remember their product, and these companies seem to have succeeded with you all.

P2
I can figure the number of millimeters in a light year, but don't ask me to do algebra.
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #26
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
However, let me point out the PURPOSE of a commercial.

It is to make you remember their product, and these companies seem to have succeeded with you all.

P2
Yeah, but I remember the product (Vonage) in order to make a mental note never to buy it!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #27
Phoenix Psaltery
He of the Eight Toes

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Yeah, but I remember the product (Vonage) in order to make a mental note never to buy it!
I know. But on the other hand, should you ever realize you are paying way too much to your local phone company for your present service, you'll have a chance to overcome that irrational dislike of the commercials and actually get a great deal. (I don't have Vonage any more because they don't offer local numbers where we live but I loved it when I did have it.)

P2

Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #28
Lecktor Hannibal
Give A Damn Offline

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Lecktor Hannibal Send a message via Skype™ to Lecktor Hannibal
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post

I don't hate that one though, damn, wrong thread.

Leck®

The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell.

Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love.

There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.

The Portable Atheist ~ Christopher Hitchens
Lecktor Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
Bard Jameson
Made my hair into a hat!

My Mood:

I'd say pharmaceutical ads, without exception. Erectile dysfunction ads particularly. "Ask your doctor if you are healthy enough for sexual activity" - bullshit. Am I going to ask him that? What if he says "no"? Am I going to listen to him? Nope. I will be chasing Atia around the house with my pants down around my ankles until I code out and drop dead on the kitchen floor.

Baratia Island - Come Enjoy Your Second Life with Us!

Home to Atia Creations Skins, Makeup and More - Come see what The New Girl is making

Check our Event Calendar and come join the fun!
Bard Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
8 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 01-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #30
Cherish

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard Jameson View Post
I'd say pharmaceutical ads, without exception. Erectile dysfunction ads particularly. "Ask your doctor if you are healthy enough for sexual activity" - bullshit. Am I going to ask him that? What if he says "no"? Am I going to listen to him? Nope. I will be chasing Atia around the house with my pants down around my ankles until I code out and drop dead on the kitchen floor.
Only way to go.
Cherish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #31
Phoenix Psaltery
He of the Eight Toes

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

"You don't have to reuse catheters any more!"

P2

Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #32
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
"You don't have to reuse catheters any more!"

P2
This, combined with this:

Quote:
Bard Jameson
made me laugh.
4 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #33
Brigid

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Old Navy commercials make me want to shoot the tv. HATE!!!
Brigid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #34
Phoenix Psaltery
He of the Eight Toes

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

On the other hand, this thread is about irrational hatred of commercials. I don't think hating the catheter commercials is a bit irrational.

I hate when they show a Wendy's commercial when the nearest Wendy's to us is three hours away. That should be a capital offense.

P2

Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #35
lonejacobs
Gothist

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
When they start off like this....."Have you or one of your loved one used this product(insert pic of said product here)...... then call 1-800-OHH-SHIT thats 1-800_OHH SHIT... you could be eligible for monetary compensation...call now!

[ 2010.12.26 10:18:38 ] Schmetterflug > U mad bro?
lonejacobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #36
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonejacobs View Post
When they start off like this....."Have you or one of your loved one used this product(insert pic of said product here)...... then call 1-800-OHH-SHIT thats 1-800_OHH SHIT... you could be eligible for monetary compensation...call now!
I HATE those.

There are a handful of attorneys who really deserve to be punched square in the face for making my life so much more complicated. The reason people flinch when they find out what I do for a living? Those assholes.

Been injured in a car accident, even if you were totally at fault? I'LL MAKE YOU RICH BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS!!! Ever hear the word asbestos? RICH!!! Hip dysplasia? ZOMG CASH!!!! Hate the IRS? SO DO WE! GO GET 'EM!!

Se habla espanol. Not really attorneys - just paid actors. No promises made, implied, imagined or pixelated. Be sure to consult an attorney before calling us. Quick - what's your PIN number?

Bastards.
The following user says thanks:

Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #37
Cherish

My Mood:

Trout, are you old enough to remember when it was illegal for both doctors and attornies to advertise. I felt much safer back then about making a choice because we actually had to do our homework. I think it was yellow pages only.

What... no steamers?
Cherish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #38
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish View Post
Trout, are you old enough to remember when it was illegal for both doctors and attornies to advertise. I felt much safer back then about making a choice because we actually had to do our homework. I think it was yellow pages only.

What... no steamers?
I am. Also, I'm third generation. My dad and grandpa were both attorneys (along with three uncles), so i definitely remember the no advertising days.

There are still limits on what we are allowed to do. I certainly favor allowing some advertising, but I think it should be limited and professional. All of the stuff I was complaining about above I find to be very unprofessional, and I believe it violates existing ethics rules on promising outcomes. I am strictly forbidden from promising a client that I will get them a favorable outcome, regardless of how strong a case I think they have. Those commercials walk a very, very thin line.

In my practice, the majority of business I get comes from referrals from other professionals and past clients. if I keep my clients happy and continue to build professional relationships, my business grows. Voila. It's like magic. I have a small newspaper ad in the Senior News that promotes my estate planning business and I do some social networking and business networking types of things. I've sent flyers out to local Realtors because i do a lot of work with distressed properties.

No billboards, no blaring television ads, I'm not taking up room on bus stop benches or shopping carts or the sides of buses. That's all BS. The used car salesmen and carpet warehouses and the like can have at it.

I don't even hve a Yellow Pages ad. Nobody uses the yellow Pages and the cost is ridiculous. Like CRAZY ridiculous. Thousands of dollars. I'll take my website, thank you.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #39
Phoenix Psaltery
He of the Eight Toes

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I caught this fish last week:

P2
5 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #40
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

What can I say? They work cheap! I pay them in worms, under the table.
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?: