Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic

Old 04-05-2018, 01:25 AM   #921
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 
Total Awards: 2

Damn it... I finished the second beer awhile back.
But I got distracted by Twitter.
Then a dog walk.

But now... let's move on to the last beer of the night, shall we?

Yes, we shall.
(Kick said to himself.)

Beer #3:

(Alc. 12%)
(Jughandle - 4 Way Stop)

Smellin: Even handed white wine grape sweetness on the top. Slightly wet, smoky wood. Somewhere in the distance, a bready base hints at it's own existence.

Tastin: Wet, smoky wood tempered with a white wine inspired soul. A touch of raisin is inevitable. All resting on a bready biscuit.

Overallin, this is a somewhat boozy brew... obviously in the wine category instead of whiskey. A bit taught, but also pleasant in it's own right. Another one that lends itself to sipping instead of crushing.

And the pic?
I don't know... I don't want to spend time trying to figure this one out.
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #922
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Oh hey, I just noticed we're on a new page!
Yay!

So, I know it's only been a few days, but it's National Beer Day and I can't very well just ignore that now, can I?!?
Plus, Untappd has a badge for checking in a beer today and y'all know I'm a badge whore.
(Well, maybe you don't, but I am. So there. :P)

Anyway, I'm only drinking one beer tonight, just to celebrate the day.
With that in mind...

Beer #1 (of 1):

(Alc. 6%)
(The Wild Beer Co. - Bliss)

Smell: Dark spices and damp hay served up on a cracker. Hints of apricot playing in the background.

Taste: Subtle damp hay strides through with wafts of dark spice behind it, trailing off into the distance before warming the tail end. Whispers of apricot play in the background.

Overall, I'm thinking this may be old or something. It seems flat, but it's possible it's supposed to be like that. The taste is more congenial than expected for something with that funky brett yeast. A good summer/early autumn afternoon beer.

And hey (hay), I found a pic, too!

Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #923
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

So, I was totally sick last week.
Which means it's been about 2 1/2 weeks since I had a serious drinking night.
But, obviously... I'm about to fix that!

Not much to intro here, just some fun lookin beer to taste!

Beer #1:

(Alc. 6.5%)
(Dogfish Head - Dragons & YumYums)

Smell: Fruit on a cracker. Sweet and tart. All the fruity flavors on the label (dragonberry, yum yum berry, passionfruit, and pear juice) do a subtle dance, with a faint hint of black carrot juice informing the edges of the profile.

Taste: Tangy and bright, sweet and sour fruit. Slightly bitter back end provides a dry balance. Hidden black carrot and cracker notes round out the profile.

Overall, this is a fairly tasty brew. A bit confusing, as it has sweet, tart, and dry notes. I could easily see drinking it at a Flaming Lips concert though!

And a related pic that makes me wish I'd been there...

Old 04-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #924
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

And for my second act...

Beer #2:

(Alc. 6.8%)
(Cypress Brewing - ZABE)

Smell: Pineapple and citrus pith shine forward. Faint biscuit backbone. Dry hay in the distance.

Taste: Slightly creamy mouthfeel bears out pineapple and citrus pith (and coconut?). Earthy, hay forward hops. Faint biscuit backbone.

Overall, this is really nice. I mean, just slow and easy to drink. It's thicker and deeper than most IPAs and while the name is inspired by zero bitterness (0 IBU - Zero Aye Bee Ewe), there's still a hint of it trying to break through. Good for about 1/3 of the way into a summer night party.

(No idea what to do for a pic on this... so I'm not. )

Old 04-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #925
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

And here we are.
I've had my first two and they're making their presence known.
About to hit up number three and that's when I'll be gone.

Ready?
I am.
(maybe)

Beer #3:
(Couldn't find a pic with beer glass in it.)

(Alc. 11.4%)
(Ship Bottom - Pleasure Island)

Smell: Stone fruit and faint raisin. Biscuit spine. Distant citrus notes. Hints of melon offer a Gaussian blur.

Taste: Melon and stone fruit, tempered with bitter raisins. Grounded in a biscuit spine. Sustained citrus notes in the mid-ground.

Overall, an interesting brew for sure. There's a complexity that starts with melon, flows through dry and somewhat bitter middleground, then dips back into melon for moment, before fading into pithy bitter notes.

And, of course, this one gets a pic...

Old 04-28-2018, 10:04 PM   #926
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Yay, it's only been a week this time!

Another set of IPAs tonight.
(I'm a bit full from dinner and I figured these'd be easier to drink than full on stouts or whatever.)
So, let's have a good night, yeah?
Yeah!

Beer #1:

(Alc. 7.5%)
(Bolero Snort - One Hoof in Front of the Other)

Smell: Sweet citrus, melon and a hint of pith. An easy going biscuit body, with a hint of black pepper. Slight bitter streak throughout.

Taste: Softly bitter pith leads the way for hints of melon, pineapple, and orange. An easy biscuit and faint hay body ends with a touch of peppery heat.

Overall, I think this is more bitter than it should be, as I didn't let this chill for very long. That being said, it's not a bad IPA. It has a creamy, thick body with a distant twang on the back end. Fairly high in juiciness. Could drink again.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #927
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Moving right along, it's time for...

Beer #2:

(Alc.7.8%)
(Evil Twin - The Soup Superior IPA)

Smells: Pomegranate steps forward, with citrus notes following. Creamy, milk IPA body on a cracker. Vanilla underpinning with distant pith lining.

Tastes: Lactose and hay open the door for pithy citrus and slight pomegranate notes. A thin vein of vanilla flows under the cracker body.

Overall, this is a weird concoction. Made with "oat and lactose with vanilla and pomegranate"... it feels like this IPA doesn't even know what it wants to be. Seems like it would be good in the second winds of the sunrise hours... after being up all night.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #928
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

And then there was...

Beer #3:

(Alc. 8%)
(Foolproof - The Depths)

Smellin: Very faint. Resiny hops on cracker/biscuit body. And a hint of pepper?

Tastin: Softly resinous hops presented on a faint cracker/biscuit body. Citrus pith bite, lightly spiced with black pepper, defines the edges.

Overall, this is a pleasant brew with a strong, yet soft, profile. A somewhat thick body presents this darker tasting IPA, rounding out the somewhat bitter edges.

And finally, a pic!
At least, as fitting as I could think of...

Old 05-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #929
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!!
(And a continuing congrats to Mexico for the Battle of Puebla win!!)

For me, obviously, it's time to drink.
I wanted to stick with all Mexican derived or inspired drinks tonight, but apparently craft beer doesn't tend to have much to do with Mexican origins.
So, just the first bottle is a direct relation, the others are vaguely related... maybe...

Cerveza #1:

(Alc. 8%)
(Flying Fish - Pescado Dorado)

Smell: Saffron boldly steps forward with a funky attitude. Traces of apricot wind through the oaky body, presented on a slight cracker background. A memory of pear mentions itself in the outro.

Taste: Funky saffron tempered with apricot, presented on an oaky body. Soft agave notes harmonize with the cracker backbone before signing out on memories of pear.

Overall, a bit of an odd duck... or fish, if you will. The tequila notes are more subtle than I expected, although the oak comes through clearly (but nowhere near overwhelming). If I made a TL;DR version of it's taste, I'd go with funky/oaky. Easily enjoyable brew!

(No pic, cuz apparently there isn't a plethora of naked women riding flying fish. oh well.)

Old 05-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #930
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Finally finished with that big ol bottle of cerveza!

Time to move on to the less holiday-centric brews.

Beer #2:

(Alc. 6%)
(Stillwater - Nu-Tropic)

Smells: Apricot and sweet grapefruit (also known as mango) presented on a bready/biscuity body, holding hands with a kinda snarky passionfruit. Just a touch of pepper notes in the undercurrent.

Tastes: Mango, with passionfruit in tow, leads the way. A soft bitter hop edge sneaks along, borne by distant pepper heat and an almost forgettable biscuit backbeat.

Overall, this is a really enjoyable brew. Closer to carbonated (slightly pithy) juice than beer. Closer to carbonated Five Alive than beer, actually!

And, it certainly deserves a pic!

Old 05-06-2018, 01:44 AM   #931
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

And then there was the last beer.

Beer #3:

(Alc. 7%)
(Flying Fish - Red Fish)

Smellin: Bready pine and pithy citrus. A bit of sweet malt in the undercurrent.

Tastin: Smokey on a bready body. Edges of pithy grapefruit hangin with sweet malts. A bit of spice.

Overallin, meh. It's good for what it is, but it's not standing out much to me. (This may be due to my insobriety.)

Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #932
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Obviously it was Mother's Day weekend, which is most of the reason I didn't have an entry last week.
Also obviously, I'm getting back to it tonight!

A bit of a hodge podge for this evening.
How is that?
Well, let's get started and find out!

Beer #1:

(Alc. 10%)
(De Dolle Brouwers - Boskeun)

Smell: Smoky and boozy off the bat. A bready/biscuity body seems to come forward with dark spices.

Taste: Charred oak presented by a biscuity body. Dark spices follow with a funky, boozy nibble of warmth.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'm tasting the right thing. It's supposed to be an Easter seasonal beer, but apparently it was bottled in March... of 2014. That being said, it's a fairly pleasant brew. The only aged taste is a funky bite in the underbelly and far back end. Probably was significantly better 4 years ago!

I probably could've found a better pic, but it was taking too long.
So, you get this... which ain't bad.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #933
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Bah.
Time wasted doing stuff other than drinking.
Hurrying on to...

Beer #2:

(Alc. 7.5%)
(Cigar City - Jai Alai aged on White Oak)

Smells: Grapefruit, citrus pith and stone fruit step boldly forward. A slight cracker body holds hands with white oak whispers.

Tastes: Memories of juicy fruit fade into bitter grapefruit pith and a hint of pine. A cracker and white oak body follow close behind, joining bitter pith on the outro.

Overall, a bit more bitter than I prefer, but nicely crafted. The white oak aging definitely brings a different edge to the Jai Alai brew. There's a soft undulation of flavor that's catchy enough to keep bringing you back for another sip.

(And no, it's not easy to find a sexy Jai Alai pic. The sport is kinda rough for that kinda clothing... or lack thereof.)
(Feel free to post one though, if you can find one.)

Old Yesterday, 01:09 AM   #934
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Ok, on to the last beer of tonight's new experiences.

Beer #3:

(Alc. 6%)
(Evil Twin - Wet Dream)

Smellin: Black coffee and tobacco notes. Not sweet or bitter, just smooth. The bready body bears forth hints of malt and hops, with no discernibly sharp edges.

Tastin: Espresso steps up first, a bit of tobacco on the edges. A bready/biscuity body fills out the rest with a touch of bitter citrus.

Overallin, this is another wonderful outing by Evil Twin. Honestly, the only improvement I'd make is to make an Imperial version that adds some vanilla bean to the process. Just a lovely experience for anyone who enjoys espresso.

So, I wanted to include a pic, but "wet dream" is harder to find a good pic than I thought.
Instead, have another coffee centered pic...