Banner by GradyE

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic > SC Hearth and Home/Home Improvements

Old 01-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #41
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Our room's heading towards being a pale purple w/ blue highlights and I'll be painting the furniture a slate gray. The bedspread and curtains are pale yellowy green {spring green?}. The rug will be a deep viridian green/blue.

The whole thing's going to look like a Monet when it's done. Later. A while from now... : /

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #42
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Some of my best paintjobs were on a blue theme.

Just a thought: you might want to consider a pale turquoise-to phthalo tone of blue [rather than the family around ultramarine]- when you lay it over that orange, it will positively shimmer [impressionist color theory]. You can buy a quart and try it out on one wall to see if you like it, and if not, just prime over all.

examples:

\

Great examples you picked
All, wonderful!

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #43
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

love love that first painting Jen!
I have an open floor plan kinda type home the dining room/now a den is this blue.
I can find the name of the color if you were that interested and it may be hard too see w/cell phone snaps. the next room is the kitchen and that is called milk chocolate some funny name of brown.

that first picture was taken by Noma Falta and she gave it to me as a gift <3
Such a real lady.

pssst
to add even my new kitty is named Stella Blue

“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” ― Coco Chanel
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." ― Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Morgaine Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #44
kita_dawg
The sand in Mulch's vag

Awards Showcase
No Fear 
Total Awards: 1

That is a lovely shade of blue, Morgaine.

I like blue too. Maybe just *one* room... or wall... I can paint blue...
kita_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #45
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Our bedroom is "Thumper" which is a taupe, I'd guess you'd call it. It's a big bedroom, so can handle the deepness of the color.

You can see it here, down on the right side:

It's very warm and comforting on our endless gray rainy days.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #46
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I love those shades.

Those shades are what I was talking about when I talked about still having the one wall a different color, darker than the rest, but not blue.

My husband has finally copped to the destruction of that room that is being wrought.

"That one wall [where all the crafts shelves are] is going to look awfully heavy once the furniture is gone," he said, "and we don't have anything to balance it."

"Now maybe you understand why I was in there taking all those pictures of my masterpiece," I replied.

"Well, what are you going to do now?"

"I don't know, and I'm not going to worry about it."

-----

As it is, it's going to take me the better part of the year to go through the entire house, getting rid of stuff. The younger daughter just isn't taking enough of the furniture that was saved for her. (The couch, etc.) She prefers getting crap cast-offs from friends.

What she DOES want, though, she really wants. Like that bedside table that I'm using and really don't want to part with yet (but will).

This would be the same daughter who, when I cleaned out her drawers, didn't want to take her Scotch tape. SCOTCH TAPE! Who doesn't want Scotch tape? So I added it to my own, and I guess she will just end up having to buy more. Ditto other useful desk items, which I had arranged neatly for her on the dining room table.

It's the damnedest thing. I think she's trying to throw off almost her entire former life.

Sewing Boxes

I offered my mother's sewing box to my older daughter, who wanted it. Both daughters have small, Mary Englebreit sewing boxes I'd given them years before - nice little boxes, too. But older daughter has more sewing stuff now, so she wanted Grandma's bigger box, for sentimentality as well as use.

So I spent a few hours combining and going through ALL the sewing stuff from my mother and my own - a task I'd put off - and making kits for the girls.

I divided the threads so that each girl would have a small spool of a various assortment of colors (while I still have some of the same general color left). Divided scissors, so they each have scissors in their box, etc. Put in little plastic boxes of pins and needles - so you could mend practically anything in the house.

HOURS at that I spent. Put the younger daughter's in her Mary Englebreit box, and the older daughters', in grandmas. Presented hers to younger daughter last night. She didn't want it.

"What if you have a button come off, or a tear or something?" I asked.

"I just let it be off," she said.

Where, oh where, have I gone wrong? First the Scotch tape, and now this. It pains me a lot. The insane lack of thrift. Plus, my efforts rejected, and so cavalierly.

I hope whatever it is, she will grow out of it.

P.S. I know practically any one of you would have loved to get that little stocked Mary Engelbreight sewing box. It was lovely.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users have offered hugs:

Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #47
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Hey, Coco, don't be sad. She sounds like she's just in the throes of Normal Rebellion. You know, a uniquely wild child, just like everybody else.

We used to be able to peg the first semester freshmen in New Paltz just by seeing if they had green hair and crazy clothes and too many wild weekends. The second semester freshmen all looked like they'd been home for the holidays and had the shyte kicked out of them [report cards]. And usually the sophomores were all calmed down and working their butts off.

But it was never an exact science. I rebelled at 17, and left home. My sisters didn't until their 20s. My brother was almost 25 before he finally got weird. Geoff did a sort of "controlled burn"- no overt rebellion, but at 27 he finally did something completely for himself- his motorcycle trip. And Earwig left home at 19 after several years of hair of every shade of the rainbow and various piercings, only to become a rather quiet Canadian housefrau and internet artist.

So Younger Daughter doesn't want sewing kits or furniture right now... this too shall pass.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #48
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

We just cannot make the children someone they are not and hope they get to be the best of who they really are.
Morgaine Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #49
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Yeah, y'all are right. Thanks for your concern and advice.

Agree wholeheartedly with the "not an exact science" part.

We have a coupla heavy factors added on, though, besides the youth thing, causing the rejection.

Nonetheless, this too shall pass. I have faith.

Also, my older daughter (who is two years older than the younger one) is both pretty irritated about the behavior she's also been experiencing from her sister, and getting pretty determined that we don't all lose our relationship with the younger daughter, who is much loved by the four of us.

I feel more comforted, and much more confident that things will work out, because of that.
3 users have offered hugs:

Old 01-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #50
Cherish

My Mood:

She may change and may not change Coco. It doesn't matter how hard we try, they are still going to be themselves and not us or how we thought we raised them. Younger daughter will probably come to the house and let you sew on that button rather then figuring out how to purchase a thread and needle and do it herself.

I have always been as neet as a pin around the house. I thought it would eventually rub off on to my daughter. Never happened.
Cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #51
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

PICKING UP WHERE I LEFT OFF - two years ago. Two whole frickin years ago!!

The husband got around to painting that blue wall (as noted in the post I quote in this thread), but never did get around to the others. Well, I finally decided that I didn't really need those other walls painted - you can't really tell that they are white and that one is a sort of a cream (well, I'm telling myself that anyway) and I did want to finish the room and take pictures of it . . . for this thread!

So here, two years later, I have taken the "after" pictures, and will post some of them here after I go through them. Meanwhile, though, there is a piece of this conversation that got stuck in a different thread - it was regarding a shelf of items much like the items that were in a bookcase of Jen's (which picture is not showing up on my computer now).

So here's the post:

-----

That is so much stuff I love.

I have that same middle basket.

I HAD that same bottom basket, but I don't know what happened to it.

I love chickens and have several.

I have a little bird almost exactly like that on my living room mantel. There is another bird like it on the mantel. The little pot to the left of that middle basket, I have several like that.

I have made a similar arrangement to your whole bookshelf thing in what used to be the girls' room, on the shelves that used to hold stuffed animals.

You know, the room for which I bought the new bedspread.

Which you may recall I agonized over because I have several wonderful quilts made by my grandmother, but finally decided I didn't want to risk them in the room, or worry about them, or have to continually "do them up," as my grandmother and mother referred to when referring to washing, starching, ironing, all kinds of stuff you have to do to "do up" the quilts and shams and so forth.

I have not posted pictures of the finished room, as I promised, because hubby has still not finished painting it. Until he does that, I can't hang up the pictures.

He has finished the wall that was dark blue with water ripples (for the dolphin theme), but hasn't done the other walls yet to match. He painted that one wall the same off-white cream color the rest of the house is. The other walls are still white.

I thought about bugging him to do it over Christmas break, but Christmas became so hectic I didn't. I might just tell him to paint that cream wall white and be done with it.

SHOULD this room ever get finished, I GUESS I will dig up that post with the "before" pictures of how it looked when my girl(s) lived in it, and PROBABLY take pictures of it for the "after." IF I feel like it.

The whole thing is terribly old-fashioned looking, being as how I have put in it my grandmother's corner knick-knack table that my mother loved so (with my grandmother's teacups on it), and - as I believe I mentioned originally in that thread when I was so excited over the whole thing - the school desk from my playhouse when I was a kid that is older than I am, which my husband refinished, and which now contains my own collection of childhood teacups and !spoons! And of course it has the old furniture from my great-aunt.

Old-fashioned or not, it does the job of actually using/displaying some of these items, as well as being a wonderful overflow room for all my scrapbooking and crafting items.

Anyway, my shelves in there now look a lot like your collection in your bookshelf here.

I suppose I could go take a pic of just that.

-----

Now that you have ALL the details (which I know you were dying to have!), I will prepare and post some of the after pics.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #52
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

P.S. The daughter thing mentioned in this thread - that is past, done, over, resolved, the whole nine yards of it and I couldn't be happier.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #53
Elle Crescendo
Kiwi Girl

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
This is the first time I have ever had a designated "art room". In my life. And it veers between organization [when I work on it] and total chaos. And it will doubtlessly be the last room finished in the Little Heap. Priority one is the kitchen/communal areas, which we're going to make into a Japanese cottage over time [hence the crazy table]. Art room = where the messes are made.

When my kids were small and I was doing all the design work, we lived in a duplex and only used the back door. So there was the front foyer and coat closet open, and I put my drafting table in the foyer and all my gear in the closet- and on shelves hanging over my desk. It was tiny but I made it work.

Later, when I was living with the Lord of Chaos, the guy who filled entire barns with crap, I tried setting up a space in the loft of the barn- just a little corner. He immediately filled it with crap to the point where I couldn't move. Same thing with the glassed-in front porch, when I set up there. And the basement. Ultimately it didn't matter because I mostly just resorted to my old standby, painting en pleine aire. Which worked out- can't tell you how many times I've sold to people because they saw what I was doing, or got into the papers because the photogs came by. [hint hint, fellow artistes!]

As for room decor: I've done several dozens of houses, many of them whole-house renovations. I've seen over-the-top and understated. I know more about shades of white and subtleties of color than anybody ever would care to know.

There's an old cartoon I saw once where the woman is talking to the paint salesman and asks, "Don't you have a color in between "off white" and "ecru"?? That's been far too much of my experience with some paint clients. One woman wanted to paint a baby's nursery yellow. But she wanted one of those watery, dead, "thin" yellows, the kind of yellow that looks like somebody urinated on the walls five minutes after it dries. I talked her into using a strong, vibrant yellow, instead, telling her what I'll tell anybody else: if you're going to use a color, USE A COLOR. She was ecstatic with the results [as were all of my clients, always].

I'm very good at making wild colors lay down peacefully together, and creating harmony with them. It's not the degree of color, it's the balancing that matters.

One of my favorite colors to recommend for a soft, quiet faux finish is "Windham Cream"- it's kind of a very slightly buttercream yellow off-white. It's warm and inviting while still falling into the category of "white", and when you layer a whiter white over it in a faux finish [sponging, or plastic-bagging, or whatever], the results are incredible- subtle and warm without being too yellowish.

An orangey peach is another favorite, especially for bedrooms.

Here's a faux I did with that. The woman was into beige [one of my anathemas], and her husband was totally NOT. So we created harmony:

[another room in the same house, to give an idea of what I started with]

The following was a very strong faux I did on the stairway in the wreck we refinished in NY. The plaster was totalled, and while I did a great deal to make it right, it would have taken a whole-house tearout to make it perfect. There was also the matter of the plastered-over chimney, which I exposed and then made the rest of the walls play nicely with. Which is where the three-layer [starting with a dark rusty orange underpainting] came in:

So I have no problem with strong colors [or soft ones] in a room, I think it's a matter of creating harmony. If you're going to have a BANG! POW! finish on one wall, you need the rest of the room to be able to stand up to it, or it will wind up badly. And if you're going with softness, you can't really have that AND a strong element [unless you want that element to dominate the room].
I adore the exposed brick
Elle Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote