Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic > SC Hearth and Home/Home Improvements

Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #121
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

How can Oly be brewed in Irwindale, California? Good gracious, that sounds like water from Fresh Kills.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #122
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
How can Oly be brewed in Irwindale, California? Good gracious, that sounds like water from Fresh Kills.
That's how it tastes, too.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #123
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

I know this is about Washington and all, but this seems pertinent:

Recreational Pot Qualifies for Oregon Ballot
Quote:
Voters rejected a legalization measure two years ago, but little money was spent promoting it. The group backing this year's effort has received contributions from some of the same donors who backed successful marijuana initiatives in Washington and Colorado.
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #124
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

A small update...

Our current plans are to come out to Washington in February, just for a short vacation of a few days.
Just enough to get a small taste of the state... and visit a few houses I've bookmarked.
Which reminds me... that little number counting thread has lead me to all the houses I have bookmarked!

But we're now looking more in the Tacoma area... I think that's good, as long as it's not too "down town".
Plus, it's more affordable than the Redmond area, from what I've seen overall.
(I dream of joining up with a video game company, so Redmond was pretty tempting.)

-

Part 2

We're also getting closer to feasibility.
Currently we have more debt than we'd be comfortable increasing enough to buy a house.
But, we've been working on fixing that... and we're suddenly (though not surprisingly) very close to accomplishing that goal.

As of right now, we're hoping to make the move sometime next year.

You fuckers better have awesome movie theaters out there.
(Hmm... stoner-friendly, awesome movie/ theater/playhouse... I wonder if that exists out there.)

Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #125
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

You'd better stay in touch! February in Washington is pretty rough. Not exactly our best month. But there's lots to see, and we'd love to meet up and show you around! People make fun of Tacoma because of it's blue collar roots (compared to Seattle), but it's a hell of a great city, and the location is fantastic. Right on the Sound, just a hop away from the peninsula, close to Rainier. It's a little drive to St. helens, but not bad. Great fishing; close to skiing, big city amenities. The downtown used to be scary, in terms of you being a homicide victim, but it's totally changed, and they have a free electric train that takes you from the Tacoma Dome to the theater district. The museum area is awesome. The Chihuly museum of glass is crazy. The Tacoma Museum of Art is right there. the Washington History Museum is next door, and a little known treasure (known VERY well to me) is the US District Court. They've filled it with art. It's gorgeous! Way better than the craphole courts I usually practice in. We can have beers at the Harmon Brewery, then hit Point Defiance.

You'll love Tacoma. I know an insane soul food restaurant, too. You walk in, and you're family (regardless of how pasty white you are), and their food will make you cry tears of joy. God, I love that place.
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':
The following user says thanks:
The following user offers hugs:

Old 09-21-2014, 02:37 AM   #126
Tout

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy View Post
A small update...

Our current plans are to come out to Washington in February, just for a short vacation of a few days.
Just enough to get a small taste of the state... and visit a few houses I've bookmarked.
Which reminds me... that little number counting thread has lead me to all the houses I have bookmarked!

But we're now looking more in the Tacoma area... I think that's good, as long as it's not too "down town".
Plus, it's more affordable than the Redmond area, from what I've seen overall.
(I dream of joining up with a video game company, so Redmond was pretty tempting.)

-

Part 2

We're also getting closer to feasibility.
Currently we have more debt than we'd be comfortable increasing enough to buy a house.
But, we've been working on fixing that... and we're suddenly (though not surprisingly) very close to accomplishing that goal.

As of right now, we're hoping to make the move sometime next year.

You fuckers better have awesome movie theaters out there.
(Hmm... stoner-friendly, awesome movie/ theater/playhouse... I wonder if that exists out there.)
Part 3

Why a house and not a large flat ? You will have to do some gardening it could be boring sometimes and it is hard work, no more movie/ theater/ playhouse...
Tout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #127
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Woods. Wrong thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #128
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout View Post
Part 3

Why a house and not a large flat ? You will have to do some gardening it could be boring sometimes and it is hard work, no more movie/ theater/ playhouse...
We have our 2 year old (Lil Kick) currently, plus we plan on having at least one more.
Besides that we have 2 cats and 1 dog (he's not small).
Put all that together and not only do we need a place with at least 3 bedrooms, but we need a yard as well.

All that being said, we are trying to stay with as small a budget as we're comfortable with.
For instance, a single-level house with a modest yard would be great.

Plus, we don't want to move again and hope to make this our "forever home".

Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #129
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
You'd better stay in touch! February in Washington is pretty rough. Not exactly our best month. But there's lots to see, and we'd love to meet up and show you around!
No worries, I'll definitely keep in touch... I think we may know a couple other people there, maybe... but, you guys are pretty much my touchstone at this point.

And i'm fine with visiting during a crappy time of year... I prefer it actually.
I'd like to get to know the depths of "rough" so I'm not caught off guard a couple months after moving out there or something.
(And from what I've seen from looking at houses for sale, I may want to get a wood chopping axe... not that I currently have an axe at all.)
I expect it to suck, but no worse than out here.
I'm also betting it's less humid out there, overall.

Quote:
People make fun of Tacoma because of it's blue collar roots (compared to Seattle), but it's a hell of a great city, and the location is fantastic. Right on the Sound, just a hop away from the peninsula, close to Rainier. It's a little drive to St. helens, but not bad. Great fishing; close to skiing, big city amenities. The downtown used to be scary, in terms of you being a homicide victim, but it's totally changed, and they have a free electric train that takes you from the Tacoma Dome to the theater district. The museum area is awesome. The Chihuly museum of glass is crazy. The Tacoma Museum of Art is right there. the Washington History Museum is next door, and a little known treasure (known VERY well to me) is the US District Court. They've filled it with art. It's gorgeous! Way better than the craphole courts I usually practice in.
That sounds awesome!
Obviously there's no way I'll be taking all that in when we visit for a few days, but in the long run... yay!

Quote:
We can have beers at the Harmon Brewery,
I took a look at the menu there and BOY HOWDY... there are some wonderful sounding drinks on the menu.
Not to mention the home brews...
A lot of the food looked tempting too!

Quote:
then hit Point Defiance.
The zoo?
The park?
Not sure what you mean on this one...

Quote:
You'll love Tacoma. I know an insane soul food restaurant, too. You walk in, and you're family (regardless of how pasty white you are), and their food will make you cry tears of joy. God, I love that place.
Check.
Must include insane soul food restaurant during vacation.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #130
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I meant Point Defiance overall. The park is really awesome, and there are fantastic views and a couple great beaches. The drive there takes you along Ruston Way, which is right on the water - Commencement Bay. With limited time, you don't need to bother with the zoo. It's a great zoo, but there's a lot of other stuff to see. If it's only a couple days, I'd stay close to Tacoma. In February, heading up into the mountains is going to be a little sketchy, depending on the weather.

Eat here: http://www.southernkitchen-tacoma.com/index.html. Just eat there. You will cry actual tears of joy. You'll also waddle away having consumed your entire calorie quota for the week, but who cares?

You're probably going to have to concentrate on the neighborhoods you're looking at, but if you have a little time, I'd check out the Chihuly Museum of Glass, or if you're a car guy (and Ms. Kick is car-tolerant), the LeMay Auto Museum is incredible. Let me know what you guys are into and I can make some suggestions, but it's probably going to be inside stuff.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #131
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Gotcha... it looked like it had some interesting stuff there.
Good to know it's a great zoo, even if we don't get to visit this time out... we can always go back if/when we make the move.
(Great for the kid(s)! )
(And we'll avoid the mountains.)

Southern Kitchen... ...yes, please. Thanks for the tip!

I'm not much of a car guy, but the museum of glass sounds like it could be pretty sweet.
(That one the kids may have to wait a few years to tag along... )
We're be more into the artsy stuff... and unique shopping... and other stuff i'm sure I'll think of later, but am drawing a blank on currently.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #132
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Awesome - if you go to the Museum of Glass, you can hop on the free downtown electric train thingy and ride it down to the theater district (about 5 minutes). There's sort of an antique district there. That's not exactly what it's called, but it's a couple blocks where a bunch of antique and old stuff dealers all rent warehouse space. You can easily spend a LOT of time there just browsing around. I'll get you better directions when the time comes. I'm just drawing a blank on the street names.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #133
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Nice... that sounds like an area I could spend a good amount of time.
Thanks for helping out so much already!

Also, I just saw this yesterday:

Portland Will Still Be Cool, but Anchorage May Be the Place to Be
On a Warmer Planet, Which Cities Will Be Safest?

Quote:
“The answer is the Pacific Northwest, and probably especially west of the Cascades,” said Ben Strauss, vice president for climate impacts and director of the program on sea level rise at Climate Central, a research collaboration of scientists and journalists. “Actually, the strip of coastal land running from Canada down to the Bay Area is probably the best,” he added. “You see a lot less extreme heat; it’s the one place in the West where there’s no real expectation of major water stress, and while sea level will rise there as everywhere, the land rises steeply out of the ocean, so it’s a relatively small factor.”
So... YAY!
We're ahead of the curve!

Old 07-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #134
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

I know there's been nothing going on with this, but I wanted to update this with more current info.

As of right now, we're not going to end up moving to Washington.
Try not to be devastated.

We're still looking to move out of NJ, but have decided we want to be within a decent driving distance of our family and friends.
The most probable looks like Vermont.

Ice cream! Maple syrup!
Not sure if I need much else than that... lol

Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #135
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

One of these?

Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?
The following user offers hugs:

Old 07-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #136
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

OH! YES!
That's wonderful, Govi!
Thank you!!!

It also makes me re-consider trying to start up my own small microbrewery.
Mainly because we're looking at the Rutland area and according to that map, there's room for one right around there!

Thanks again... that map is a thing of beauty.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #137
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy View Post
I know there's been nothing going on with this, but I wanted to update this with more current info.

As of right now, we're not going to end up moving to Washington.
Try not to be devastated.

We're still looking to move out of NJ, but have decided we want to be within a decent driving distance of our family and friends.
The most probable looks like Vermont.

Ice cream! Maple syrup!
Not sure if I need much else than that... lol
Good. I think that's the wisest thing.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #138
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
Good. I think that's the wisest thing.
Ice cream and maple syrup?
You bet!

But seriously... after hearing the recent statement about the Cascadia subduction zone and how terrifying it sounds, I think I'm good with not moving to the west coast.
Not that the east coast is supposed to fair all that well, but I'm hoping Vermont will be far enough inland and at a high enough elevation that it won't be as much of an issue.

Plus Ben & Jerry's is there.
(Did I mention I like ice cream?)

Old 07-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #139
Redhead
Pure Acetylene Virgin

My Mood:

Vermont?? Winters in Vermont are gonna be hard...
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 07-24-2015, 11:42 PM   #140
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

They'll be harder, but not by much... at least not temperature wise.
At least, in the area we're looking, which has a slight warming benefit from the (kinda) nearby Lake Champlain.

I know extremes can be both higher and lower, but generally speaking...

This is for an area that's about 15 - 20 minutes south of us and one for the area we're concentrating on (Rutland):

Old 07-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #141
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Part of the attraction is that the summers don't get as hot and the cold isn't too big of a deal.
But that's because Lil Kick gets really flushed, really quick in the heat.
He also isn't bothered much by the cold... in the winter, he liked to stand in the open door, in just a diaper, watching the snow fall.
(Not that we let him do that for long at all, but still...)

So, part of our search criteria has been for a place that doesn't get as hot.

I know it's different and it'll take getting used to, but I'm ok with that.