Banner by Troy Vogel

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic > SC Hearth and Home/Home Improvements

My home is now an NWF Certified Wildlife Habitat
Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2
Default My home is now an NWF Certified Wildlife Habitat

We are National Wildlife Federation habitat number 167746. We exceeded every category except one -- the water source. We only have the one birdbath as a water source. In every other category we exceeded the number of sources we needed to have. In some (like natural food sources) we maxxed out.

We are so excited about this we are now researching what it would take to have a small moving water pond in the back.

For those of you that live on farms, this might not seem like a big deal. But I'm in a pretty urban area that is getting more urban all the time so this is really nifty keen to me.
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users have offered hugs:

Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Oh cool! The only thing we're missing is a water supply, and I was just looking at bird baths the other day. I think once I get one I'll go ahead and do this also. My property is very small also, and we live in what I'd consider a small city. So it's been important to me also when putting in all the new landscaping to make sure it's wildlife friendly (birds, especially).

Thanks for this

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Elora its so easy to do. Its completely online. You gotta give them 20 bucks. 50 if you want a small aluminum sign.

They don't come out to inspect so I guess anyone could lie about it but the amount of pride I have in that we have done this is so wonderful.

BTW we got our bird bath last year from freecycle completely free. We are meticulous about replacing the water at least once a day and sometimes 2x because mosquitoes. But the birds just love it. We have several cardinal families nesting in our trees and I see them in it all the time. Occasionally I see the red breasted robins but the robins and the cardinals do not hang together. I think they are like gangs and have fights when we are not looking.

Landlord spotted an owl last night

Couple of other things:

We have the fig tree, strawberry plants, a cranberry tree, and some gooseberries? i guess. They look like blackberries only they are kind of green. Anyway between the berries and the acorns and the pine seeds I was able to qualify in every category for food source: nuts, berries, fruits, grasses, vegetables, and seeds. We also have ample ground covering because the entire back yard is ivy and twigs and stuff. Also there's a bunny habitat they built for themselves that looks kind of like this:

The form wanted to know if we had places for wildlife to raise their young. So that bunny habitat, the trees, the ground covering, and a huge pile of wood that has been there for like 10 years -- I figured it was either a cave or a burrow but I know there's a couple of garter snakes and a chimpmunk family that lives in the wood.

Things they didn't ask about that we've also done -- we have a bee balm patch and a butterfly wildflower patch.
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Awesome!

We have a lot of trees, pines and dogwood and flowering cherry (which have berries). Thick hedges of yews and some neglected bushes on one side of the house which I know is a great hiding area for all kinds of well, whatever. I also have lots of roses and other flowers and herbs(pollen), good ground cover (ivy), a tree borrow (my old hydrangea tree has a nice hole in the trunk). We always put out seed and suet for the birds. This year, we had a bunny nesting late winter outside on the side of the house, under one of the bushes. She had pushed her way into the thick layer of mulch.

I had my front walkway finally half landscaped the other week, and we'll be adding more shortly. The more, is probably going to be lavender, and other perennials that I know will attract birds and have leftover seeds/coverage for winter. Bee balm, is one of those which I'm thinking of, and I have room for a Butterfly bush also. That's something I've wanted for a long time now - those two alone should attract a wide range of butterflies to the yard.

We also have 2 enormous Mountain Laurels, they are as tall as half of the house. Birds love to sit in those. It's driving our new cat insane lol. There's some other things I'm probably forgetting off hand.

Anyway, so yea, the water is the one thing missing. We have an underground sprinkler system which goes off a few times a week, but that doesn't quite count :P
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Do sheep count?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
Do sheep count?
No, YOU count THEM when you are trying to sleep.