Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 
Total Awards: 2
Default SimCity (2013)

I've been invited into the closed beta for this and just finished playing the tutorial and my first shot at gameplay.
(For the Beta, they only allow one hour of play time.)

Not sure if I'll get the full game or not... seems dangerous!
I could've kept playing for hours, easily.

I didn't read the TOS or agreements or anything, but I'm sure I'm under an NDA of some sort, so I won't post any screenshots or anything too specific.
But, if you're a SimCity fan, I have no doubt you'd enjoy this new updated version.

I haven't been able to check out the multi-player mode, but from what I could gather it could turn out to be a lot fun... either because of helping each other or because of screwing shit up.

Anyone else in on this?
Or planning on looking into it?
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

I played the original SimCity endlessly but never got into the sequels

Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I got the Freeplay Sims3 for my iPad. Bleh. too simplistic. If there was a full version of Sims3 for the iPad, I'd buy it. I wonder if the new SimCity will come out for iPad.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Redhead
Pure Acetylene Virgin

My Mood:

I don't play these kinds of games anymore. I bought Civ 3 and found that I would start playing and then look at the clock to see that I'd lost 12 hours to the game. "Just one more turn, then I'll stop..."
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)
The following user offers hugs:

Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Augustus Bainbridge
Clammy Mammals

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
The Novelist 

I will be there with bells on and free time sacrificed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
I played the original SimCity endlessly but never got into the sequels
This is basically a reboot of the franchise, from what I can tell.
For instance, instead of laying pipes for water and lines for electricity, they're considered already laid out along with roads... but you have to have a supply source, like a water tower or solar plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
If there was a full version of Sims3 for the iPad, I'd buy it. I wonder if the new SimCity will come out for iPad.
I doubt it.
It does list PC and Mac, but no tablet stuff.
DESKTOPS FTW!!!

Quote:
I don't play these kinds of games anymore. I bought Civ 3 and found that I would start playing and then look at the clock to see that I'd lost 12 hours to the game. "Just one more turn, then I'll stop..."
That bold part? That's why I told my wife I may not buy the game.
I have to try playing it some more tonight, but from what I can tell I would end up doing the whole "What time is it? WHAT?!? It's a different day now?!?"

Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Redhead
Pure Acetylene Virgin

My Mood:

The deep level of play of these kind of games just sucks me in. It's not like WoW where it's just a few simple spells used in the right way and you're done.

In these kinds of games the strategies form intricate spider webs that branch out and interact with each other. In Civ 3 the actions you take on turn 5 can have dire consequences on turn 29. Politics, military strategy, economic strategy, even what you do environmentally has an affect.

My brain loves this kind of thing. I get lost in the webs as I try to plan out my moves turns in advance and then having to re-plan on the fly in response to how the other factions respond. It's fun, but in the end I'm putting huge amounts of mental effort to what, in the end, is just a meaningless game. =P

So I finally just uninstalled it and swore it off. Which is a bummer, because I found the mental challenges really fun.
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

I hear ya.
Now SimCity is adding multi-player capabilities, it'll be that much MORE intricate!
Do you provide goods to the global market?
Do you provide your own water or buy it from the global market?
Do you help a neighbor or try to sabotage them?
Do you create and control all the cities in a region yourself or do you share it with others?

As meaningless as it all may be, it also gives you a social thing to do with people from all over the place.
Plus, I also like to think these types of games help keep the mind sharp, so it's good for you mentally as well. (Well, until you realize you've missed the events of three days in a row because MY SIMS NEED A BETTER SCHOOL AND A SEWAGE PROCESSING PLANT!!!11!!)

I just got done playing through the one hour slice of game they give you, again.
And I can really sense the addictive dangers since I've gotten a better hang of it already... and I've only gotten to play with a small amount of what you can do.

I'm still deciding whether to get it or not, but have to decide soon since the Origin Limited Edition is only available as a pre-order. o.O
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':
The following user says thanks:

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
"I could quit anytime I wanted to... I just don't WANT to."

You describe my entire life in the early Apple ][ days.
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Aimee Weber
Queen of the Metaverse

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

It's going to take a LOT of positive peer reviews (from folks I know here at SC, over at SLU, and RL friends) before I buy this or any other EA game. My rule is, if I don't know you I don't trust your game review (with the possible exception of Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation).

I'm expecting scores of 9.998 out of 10 from most pro-game review sites (or maybe 11 out of 10 since 9 out of 10 is the new "average" score, and there has to be some way a reviewer can breathlessly express their euphoria after cranking their reviews for Spore and Sim Societies to maximum hype levels).

Also:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...troubles.shtml

The first amendment was never intended to protect speech that *I* don't like.

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

(Warning, cool results may vary. Consult a physician if symptoms persist.)
Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi

Well, from what I've heard, the new SimCity requires that you be connected to the internet constantly while playing, like a lot of iPhone games. While people who buy games through Steam are prolly already used to that insane and pointless (for a one-player game) requirement, SimCity also suffers from the additional problem that the game servers you're supposed to be constantly connected to don't work at all, so you can't play anyway.

Builder
Virtual Urchin
Proud Owner of Post #5000
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Yikes, evidently that's not even the half of it.

Quote:
The first stage of the SimCity fiasco stemmed from how EA’s servers spectacularly failed to cope with the entirely predictable launch week traffic. But the next stage is potentially even more damaging. On EA’s Answer HQ website, one of the most heated discussion threads is now about whether the entire pathfinding and traffic management systems of the game are badly broken.

Several players have noted that the characters in the game don’t actually have any permanent jobs or homes. They simply walk to the nearest available open job or a suitable home at certain times, a simplification that creates major headaches in city planning. Sims that start walking don’t switch to mass transit if they don’t find a job nearby; kids don’t get to schools easily; all cops go to a single crime scene even if police stations are carefully spread in different parts of the city.

School buses, fire trucks and tourist hordes all seem to have trouble finding obvious routes to their goals. As a result, designing a functional city may mean planning a street grid and placement of different facilities in a deeply counterintuitive way. Players have to design their cities to suit bad algorithms, not realistic goals.

One popular emerging strategy is to construct a city with one long, single street winding back and forth like a snake. This enables players to reduce the problems of having school buses that cannot find students and fire trucks that refuse to go where they are supposed to. One way to avoid suffocating traffic jams is to fill the city with wide avenues, resulting in weird maps where normal streets are used as sparsely as possible.

The lame pathfinding algorithms may explain one of the biggest mysteries surrounding this new SimCity iteration; why is the city size limited so drastically? Many early reviews cited claustrophobia as the number one complaint even before the server problems surfaced, including the exhaustive Ars Technica piece. It now seems likely that the strict size limitation may have been necessary to avoid complete gridlock.

The ambitious goal of having SimCity populated by “real people” may thus be backfiring quite spectacularly — partly because the Sims don’t act rationally, but also because of the complications of trying to find the shortest route to nearest job, home or school in the most rudimentary way. This can translate to inability to deal with a traffic jam by opting for a parallel street. It’s also backfiring because populating the cities with foolish agents with no memory or permanent roles has capped the city size to a level that deeply annoys most franchise fans.

The SimCity saga is evolving into a mesmerizing example of mismanaging a highly ambitious project in several ways. Forcing consumers to opt for an always-on Internet connection; underestimating server loads; insisting on the unnecessary and destructive goal of having “real people” populating the simulation; capping the size of the cities at a level that obviously alienates long-time fans; and deciding to go ahead with the game launch even with clearly inadequate pathfinding algorithms.
I'm not happy with what EA has done with my SimCity, and I was really excited when I first learned of this project too. Luckily, I still have an ancient copy of SC 3000 that works just fine. Looks like I'll have to stick with it.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I have SC4, my copy of 3000 got broked by my kids.

The feral rabbit horde edged forward.

Pooh stepped over the decapitated corpse of Eeyore. There would be time for mourning afterwards.

Flanked by Tigger and Roo, they met the ravening rabbits in pitched battle.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Wow.
I haven't bought the game, partially because of the server issues and figured I'd wait it out.
I don't care about "always on" since it's got MMO properties to many functions, but server issues and the game not working right are deal killers.
(Not to mention, I also figured this was more of an addictive time waster than I need.)

Maybe they could've had a better idea on what would be happening after launch if they'd given more than one hour of playtime per session.
That really doesn't allow for testing out a game extensively enough.

Looks like we'll all be passing on this one.

I'm happier to spend time on GW2 or Defiance anyway.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

It really is too bad. I've always been a SimCity fan, even though I never got into any of the other SimWhatevers. I had high hopes; I would even be willing to be fair and let them work out the server issues and try it if the game was good enough - but it seems there's just a lot broken about the game and it's just a shame.

I felt almost as bad when "Microsoft Flight" came out. I've always been a Microsoft Flight Simulator fan - I have a copy of every single MFS that's been released as long as I've been alive (I was too young to use the computer when Flight Simulator 98 was new, so I had to find it in a bargain bin in the mid 2000's). When MS announced they were closing the studio that produced MFS I was sad, but shortly after, a "Microsoft Flight" was announced - it just came out a year ago and I was very hopeful - but the project was a smashing failure. Whereas Microsoft Flight Simulator was always a standalone game that included the entire world and a whole set of airplanes by default, Microsoft Flight was released as a "free to download" game which included only one aircraft and the Big Island of Hawaii - any other planes or geography you wanted had to be purchased separately from the web store. I think they released about 5 addon planes and only one scenery area (Alaska) before Microsoft announced it was canceling support and development for the game, less than 5 months after it was released.

Of course it's not exactly the same as the SimCity situation - we were told flat out that Microsoft Flight was not supposed to be a continuance of the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise. So when it sucked it wasn't a completely devastating blow. But SimCity - still made ostensibly by the same folks, right? EA, these are the people who somehow turned "the Sims" into a blockbuster franchise. There's no reason this game had to suck and/or blow. They just seriously dropped the ball.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Gamer hacks SimCity to run offline

Cody, have you been a bad boy?
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Nah, I'm not a hacker. I only build stuff out of real parts, not code.