Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1
Default Chicken Coop v3.0

http://reclamationfarm.com/?p=20

With baby chicks arriving soon at the feed store, we started building our third version of Reclamation Farm’s chicken coop. Version 1.0 blew over in a windstorm, version 2.0 was a quickie “save the chickens” job, and version 3.0 has been carefully planned and forethought. Here is step one:

Step One: The Base

We’ve decided on a two-sided chicken coop. The left side will store food and tools, while the right side will house the chickens. We’ll further subdivide the chicken half into the henhouse, and the brooder.

Here we have nine 2″x6″x8′ boards: four are the exterior frame, and five are used as floor supports (we cut off 4″ from each floor support.) Note that the chicken coop will be supported on eight concrete blocks; this will keep the entire building out of the mud.

ETA: That's Cleopatra jumping down from the frame. All 6 chickens came over during the construction to check it out.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Kokoro Fasching
I <3 Gabriele

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

It needs to be higher so that you can mount the claymores along the edges.. (and scrape out the chickenpooh)
Kokoro Fasching is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Clutch Cargo
Bongo Lover

Looks like a solid base
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Ooooo! I get excited about chickens! (And jealous.)

Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Fleming Scarbridge
Oddified

Very nice start, thanks for sharing the link to your blog also. I'm preparing plans for this year's garden and possibly starting two bee hives alongside. Chicken coops are in my future plans but most likely not this year. Good luck with your ventures.
Fleming Scarbridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Oh. My. God. This coop is VERY nearly done!!!

South side (facing the main part of the yard). The door is almost done; it's propped up like that to keep the dogs from getting into the tool storage half of the coop. They couldn't get at the chickens, but they would stand there pointing at the chickens for hours. The primer coat of oil paint is almost finished.

East side, facing the narrow side yard, where the chickens will run. There are 3 hinged doors, two on bottom that swing up to allow for easy cleaning, and the one on top that swings up also, which can be propped open for ventilation. The little door in the lower left is the chicken door, which remains open during the day, and the hens can go in and out as they please. The roof is a true roof, with tar paper and shingles. Didn't Trout do a great job?

West side. The window is probably at least 50 years old, except for one pane of it, which was replaced after Rolf the dog stepped through it while it was laying on the ground. We got the whole window from Habitat for Humanity for like $20.

A quick view of the inside through the window. You can see that the hens are separated from the tool storage part by an interior wall. Those little boxes are their laying boxes. They take turns throughout the day.

The whole coop needs to be finished priming painted on the outside (we won't bother with the inside) and I'll clean up the windows and maybe add a storage shelf or two on the inside. We'll add some white trim around the corners/edges for style. Then we'll do a final coat of latex paint, cobble a walkway near the door, so that it doesn't turn into a swamp during the winter, and we'll be DONE!!

This is a quick preview of our raised beds. I'm bummed that the family of cows wasn't out in the back field to show to you. There are two cows with their calves and a steer (which is a castrated bull.) They're pretty cute.

Oryx Tempel is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
3 users say thanks:
The following user offers hugs:

Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

That chicken coop is my nemesis. The more I work on it, the more it defies me by not actually being finished. It's a good, solid build, though. The foundation is so solid, you could park a Mack truck on it. My fat butt up on the roof laying the shingles could barely get it to move at all. The only thing I worry about is that ancient window. It's in pretty rough shape. I think it will be OK, though, now that Rolf the Wonderdog can't tromp on it. I briefly considered killing him when he did that.

The raised beds are looking pretty good. We've nearly shoveled 5 yards of garden compost mix into them. That's a LOT of dirt. Holy smokes. That's a LOT OF DIRT. It will be nice to have them done. I have tomatoes, leeks and onions growing upstairs in my office that need to be transplanted, not to mention the rest of the garden that needs to go in. I'm tired, and I think I injured my knee, but it's almost ready to go.

BTW - those chairs in the pictures? I built them from scratch. They are made of cedar and totally nap-worthy. I got some old cedar boards and sorted out a pattern, then cut them on the band saw and finished the edges with a router. Nice work there. They are perfect for watching the sun set with a glass of wine in one hand.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
Monna
soulless cunt

Rez Date: Mar 03, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Monna
Awards Showcase
Bimbo 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
Oh. My. God. This coop is VERY nearly done!!!

South side (facing the main part of the yard). The door is almost done; it's propped up like that to keep the dogs from getting into the tool storage half of the coop. They couldn't get at the chickens, but they would stand there pointing at the chickens for hours. The primer coat of oil paint is almost finished.

East side, facing the narrow side yard, where the chickens will run. There are 3 hinged doors, two on bottom that swing up to allow for easy cleaning, and the one on top that swings up also, which can be propped open for ventilation. The little door in the lower left is the chicken door, which remains open during the day, and the hens can go in and out as they please. The roof is a true roof, with tar paper and shingles. Didn't Trout do a great job?

West side. The window is probably at least 50 years old, except for one pane of it, which was replaced after Rolf the dog stepped through it while it was laying on the ground. We got the whole window from Habitat for Humanity for like $20.

A quick view of the inside through the window. You can see that the hens are separated from the tool storage part by an interior wall. Those little boxes are their laying boxes. They take turns throughout the day.

The whole coop needs to be finished priming painted on the outside (we won't bother with the inside) and I'll clean up the windows and maybe add a storage shelf or two on the inside. We'll add some white trim around the corners/edges for style. Then we'll do a final coat of latex paint, cobble a walkway near the door, so that it doesn't turn into a swamp during the winter, and we'll be DONE!!

This is a quick preview of our raised beds. I'm bummed that the family of cows wasn't out in the back field to show to you. There are two cows with their calves and a steer (which is a castrated bull.) They're pretty cute.

Wow that is for real. I m really impressed not so much by the construction but the lifestyle you both have,

Old 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Wow! Looks great!
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Cherish

My Mood:

Next comes the drip system in the raised beds, right. Great work Trout, I bet you had a blast doing it. It is so very rewarding to take a stick of wood and make something out of it. It always amazes me that you can put a seed in dirt and it grows.

Be proud.

By the way, could you send those cows down my way. My lawn needs mowed and I do not want to do it.
Cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

You guys are amazing. I hope you succeed with this and look forward to reading everything about it!

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Well. It wasn't entirely a success. The chicken coop is divided off from the tool shed portion of the building by a six-foot wall. It doesn't go all the way to the roof, though, and the chickens were able to get up and over the wall into the tool shed side. In fact, when I went out there, two of them were roosting on the top of the wall. It's an easy problem to solve, though. a little chicken wire and a staple gun and the hole will be closed.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
io Kukulcan
Protector of México

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

lol chickens!!!
io Kukulcan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
JohnnyVann