Banner by GradyE

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Gamer Lobby / Other Worlds > Blue Mars

First look at Iam's (bots) for Caledonia
Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1
Default First look at Iam's (bots) for Caledonia

New forum (thanks again Leck!) needs christening!

What follows is a copy of the email I sent to the Caledonia group, describing my first attempt to get a "TourGuide" style bot running in Caledonia.

My apologies that this has already appeared over at SLU - that was Des' work, not mine.

==================================

Funny you should mention running an Iam in Caledonia Des ...... :-)

The weekend may be over, but at least we are now the proud owners of the hint of a glimpse of what a Caledonia TourGuide Bot might look like.

Mark Boon provides a "Tour Guide" bot template, with a lot of features, many of which you can see in the videos. The bot waits for you, walks you through a set of points of interest (POI) in sequence, and can also be asked to take you to a particular POI, or indicate by hand where it is. Mark's intent is that this TourGuide can be customised for any particular city/application, by editing only the CHAT-L file containing the conversation, and a xml file containing the POI data (ie., avoiding the Java source code entirely).

There are two limitations with what I've done thus far.

First, for some reason I can get this to work under Eclipse, but not from the command-line (unlike my other bot experiments). I don't expect this will take long to sort out (I'll probably just beg Mark for assistance :-) ).

The second is concerned with how bots move in BM. Its an interesting setup - bots in BM can't "sense" their surroundings, they rely on an an external "map" file to tell them where they can and can't go. That map file is their navigation bible - they will cheerfully walk through walls if the map file says they can. *If* they have a map file, its simple to make them pathfind around objects. The issue is construction of the map.

A map has a *lot* of data in it. As I understand it, a position in space is recorded every 0.5m, and the map notes in which of 26 directions you can move from that point. There's a bot that will create a map for you, just by following you around, but its a very slow process indeed (though also a lot of fun to watch :-) ). I can think of ways of semi-automating the map-creation-process by script, and I imagine Mark has done this too. I'll follow this up with Mark on his bot forums.

But for now, we don't have a map for Caledonia. So, to create the demonstration above I did have to edit the Java code, and basically replaced the "navigate" calls (which intelligently pathfind using the map) with "walk" calls (which just walk in a straight line to the destination, obstacles be damned :-) ). Similarly, some of the utility functions of the navigate library ("am I at my destination yet?") had to be fudged.

Part of the reason for showing this now is to suggest that the Caledonia community *might* want to think about having common resources for both chat and the map. For example, people might like their bots to "know" about the history of Caledon, and it seems a little redundant if every bot-user had to write their own.
Cale Vinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Dale Innis
total bitchin' rock star

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Neat stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Vinson View Post
A map has a *lot* of data in it. As I understand it, a position in space is recorded every 0.5m, and the map notes in which of 26 directions you can move from that point.
O.O
Dale Innis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Envoy Costagravas
Travels the world, calmly

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Like I said over at SLU... oh, nvm.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Forest
How you like me now?

Rez Date: Jan 14, 2007
My Mood:

First post!

Oh, never mind

Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envoy Costagravas View Post
Like I said over at SLU... oh, nvm.
That reminds me Envoy ......

I've got most of the AI completed, but would you mind popping over at some point so I can take some measures for my ongoing "Envoy Studmuffin" Iam project?
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Innis View Post
O.O
Nicely put.

Just in case you're interested in following any of this stuff in more detail Dale, the conversation with the Iam bot developer (Mark Boon) is at: http://ai.bluemars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18.