Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Techie Reiki Wiki

Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #41
Joshooah Lovenkraft
Just Joshin'

My Mood:

You're a pretty handy guy so there's the more extreme option of fixing it yourself. There's a good website called ifixit.com that will walk you through the process quite thoroughly and also will hook you up with all the parts and tools that you might need. If that's your sort of thing and have the time and patience, it's another cheaper option than sending it in for repair/assistive touch that might buy you some extra time to save up for a new device. They have all sorts of devices listed and come in handy for diy repairs like cracked screens if you don't want to pay for it through Apple ... plus I find it's kinda cool to see how stuff is put together.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Touch_4th_Generation

I was reading this article on the weekend about how they are starting these community based volunteer run "fix it yourself" clinics that teach folks how to do simple repairs on things like lamps and fans etc. We live in such a disposable society that it's nice to see less stuff chucked away so wastefully.
Joshooah Lovenkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 08-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #42
Joshooah Lovenkraft
Just Joshin'

My Mood:

Oh and I just noticed there is a car repair section!
Joshooah Lovenkraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #43
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshooah Lovenkraft View Post
You're a pretty handy guy so there's the more extreme option of fixing it yourself. There's a good website called ifixit.com that will walk you through the process quite thoroughly and also will hook you up with all the parts and tools that you might need. If that's your sort of thing and have the time and patience, it's another cheaper option than sending it in for repair/assistive touch that might buy you some extra time to save up for a new device. They have all sorts of devices listed and come in handy for diy repairs like cracked screens if you don't want to pay for it through Apple ... plus I find it's kinda cool to see how stuff is put together.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Touch_4th_Generation

I was reading this article on the weekend about how they are starting these community based volunteer run "fix it yourself" clinics that teach folks how to do simple repairs on things like lamps and fans etc. We live in such a disposable society that it's nice to see less stuff chucked away so wastefully.
I ABSOLUTELY agree, 100%. It's nice to see that not only are sites like this around, but that the replacement parts are pretty darn cheaper than I'd have expected them to be - for instance, the part that must be broken in my iPod is called the "home button ribbon cable", and it is only $9.95. Hecks yeah I'd give that a try, especially if the procedure is as easy as the instructions and the great big very clear pro-looking step-by-step photographs which I love make it seem.

Although the assistive touch is a perfectly fine replacement, I must say.

Builder
Virtual Urchin
Proud Owner of Post #5000
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #44
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
...going up to a store employee at Walmart or someplace and saying "I'm looking for the Ainol tablets" is likely to lead to some confusion.
"I believe you want the pharmacy."

Sent from my Galaxy S-III via Tapatalk 2.0
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #45
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

I may have missed it but did you take it to an Apple store and ask at the Genius Bar?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #46
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Nah. If I were in Cleveland I would've; but now I live in Frontier Outpost #5 and the closest Apple Store is like four hours away.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #47
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Before spending a lot of money maybe call and tell them you are in the boonies and ask if there is an easy fix or a ball park $$$ on fixing that kind of thing. Might be worth a 4 hour drive?
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #48
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

The website Joshooah linked to shows you how to fix it yourself, and links to a store that sells the necessary replacement component for $10. That already beats the gas for a 4-hour drive no matter how cheap the actual service might be.

The thing is a couple years old and way past warranty; stuff I've read on the web suggests that they wouldn't cover a defective button anyway. I think I'll just fix it myself.

...but probably not in the very near future; with the one-screen home button active, the thing is fully functional just as if the mechanical button still worked. So now fixing it/replacing it is no longer strong priority.
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':