No more iPod?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #1
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi
Default No more iPod?

Well, Apple's last press event of the year has come and gone; over the last two months they've introduced two new iPhones, two redesigned iPads, a couple new Macs, a virtual watch, a new iOS and Mac OS, and...not a word about iPods.

The newest iPod Touch is 5th generation, and it is over two years old now. I have a 4th gen; it is beaten and so worn out that a battery charge might last a day IF I only play music with the screen off; for any other kind of activity - games, videos, net surfing - it has to be plugged in constantly or there's 15 minutes of power before it shuts down, tops.

Right now, I -could- buy a two-year-old 5th gen to replace it. At the very least, it would be able to run the newest iOS (I'm stuck at 6) and the newest versions of whatever apps I have. I was especially happy when iOS 7 came out, with its refreshing lack of fake leather/rubber/glass/fabric/wood textures and made-to-look-old-fashioned app designs, and was looking forward to upgrading when I was able, which I now am. But I don't think I'm going to do it. I don't see the point; it looks like Apple may have no plans to develop the iPod any further.

In a way, it makes business sense. People like me are kinda like Apple's worst customer; rather than queuing up for blocks to drop a mint every time a new iPhone comes out, we tend to have cheap prepaid or really simple cell phones, and use relatively inexpensive iPod Touches as like a PDA, to handle any "smartphone" features that our cheap phones can't handle. Yes, the Touch only works where there's wifi, but we're cool with that. As such, we probably steal iPhone purchases (and the lucrative phone contracts that need to go with them) from Apple's EOQ sales figures and probably aren't their nearest and dearest customer base anymore, the iPod's historic place in Apple's recent popularity bubble notwithstanding.

But, business sense is Apple's thing. My job is to have "consumer sense", and it looks like it will make the most consumer sense to give up on Apple and transition to another PDA device - if I even bother.

Anybody got any suggestions? I do not need and cannot afford a smartphone. I do not want a tablet. I want a palm computer - something I can store all my mp3s on, surf the web, use for email and calendar and so forth and such like - kinda like a tablet, only small enough to fit into my pocket like the iPod Touch did, rather than having to carry it around in my hand. It's not crucial; I will be content to just go without any such kind of device at all rather than go with a bad one or one I don't like. But in order to decide I gotta see what's available.

Builder
Virtual Urchin
Proud Owner of Post #5000
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Spaceman Opus
Aquakosher

Rez Date: May 13, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Spaceman Opus
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I want a palm computer - something I can store all my mp3s on, surf the web, use for email and calendar and so forth and such like - kinda like a tablet, only small enough to fit into my pocket like the iPod Touch did, rather than having to carry it around in my hand.
I know you say you don't want a smartphone, but you're pretty much describing one right here. Look into some of the cheaper pre-paid Android or Windows Phones - plenty are < $150 (some are < $100), and if you don't want a phone, don't pay for a plan...you still get all the music-y features you want, and when you're near wi-fi, you get the surfing, email etc.
Spaceman Opus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Or a kindle fire I think does all that.

I know I want a iPhone 6+ without the phone part

Old 10-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 
Total Awards: 2

Fuck Apple.

Ireland Cuts Apple's Tax Loophole, Boosting Obama's Inversion Crackdown
Quote:
The loophole, known as the "Double Irish" allows companies to move royalties from intellectual property from one subsidiary to another, usually located in a country without a corporate tax code like the Cayman Islands. As a result, companies like Apple have been able to pay as little as two percent in taxes rather than Ireland's 12.5 percent corporate tax rate – which is still much lower than America's 35 percent rate.

The loophole will be closed for new companies beginning in 2015 and existing companies currently using the loophole will be required to phase out their assets from these subsidiaries by 2020. Irish Finance Minister Michael Noonan has maintained that Ireland will not change the 12.5 percent corporate tax rate, one of the lowest in the world.
Not just for avoidance in and of itself, but for being an American company who robs the USA of the tax income it should be providing.
According to what I just looked up, they should pay ~$25 BILLION in taxes here in the USA.
Instead, they're paying ~$10 Billion to Ireland.

Again...
Fuck Apple.
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Opus View Post
I know you say you don't want a smartphone, but you're pretty much describing one right here. Look into some of the cheaper pre-paid Android or Windows Phones - plenty are < $150 (some are < $100), and if you don't want a phone, don't pay for a plan...you still get all the music-y features you want, and when you're near wi-fi, you get the surfing, email etc.
$150 is a lot to spend to find out that it might not work like that..

Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
Or a kindle fire I think does all that.

I know I want a iPhone 6+ without the phone part
Kindle Fire is a tablet, though.

Although, I'm starting to soften a bit on my reticence to use a tablet, since there don't seem to be any iPod Touch-sized replacements around except for straight-up smartphones. I'm looking around at them.

Barnes and Noble sells a Samsung Galaxy Tab "Nook", which is kinda like the Kindle Fire, but AFAICT without Amazon's gimped version of Android.

...of course, I might go with a Windows tablet too...

Old 11-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

So I think I've narrowed my tablet choices down to two that fit my budget and interests: the newest ASUS Nexus 7, or the (also) ASUS VivoTab Note 8.

The Nexus 7 is an Android device with Google Play; it's a full version of Android. AFIACT it ships with Android 4.3 but of course can be upgraded whenever and however you upgrade Android. The VivoTab Note 8 comes with Windows 8.1 and a stylus that stows on board.

The Nexus has a 7 inch screen, which is a plus because that means it's smaller and will more easily fit into a coat or jacket pocket during non-summer weather. The screen also has a noticeably sharper resolution and richer color. It also has the entire Android app store to choose from, which has a HUGE selection of all kinds of apps (as you guys well know). Pretty much every single app I have on my iPod that I like has an Android version with the exception of course of iTunes itself - which I'd have to find out what Android's music/video organization schema is called and transfer my library to that, and also hope that my favorite podcasts also publish somewhere besides iTunes that an Android device can access. And there's a couple of impressive apps for accessing SL even, something that Apple seemed almost determined to never allow for some reason. But using an Android device would also however finally require me to start a new Google account and it would make things easier in that event to finally merge my accounts for things Google has gobbled up over the years like YouTube, into that Google account - a thing I've been resisting because I'm not the world's biggest Google fan that's for sure.

The VivoTab has an inch larger screen which will make it a tighter fit for jacket pockets, maybe even more so if I get a cover which I probably should. It has a slightly smaller resolution but it's still HD. It comes with a stowaway stylus which is neat, and a Wacom Digitizer, which I'm not sure why that's so special but a lot of people seem to really like that. It comes with a micro-SD card slot for additional storage. The biggest disadvantage though, is no Android store. I can only use the Windows app store. And it has some things, like official news network apps and such; however, most of my favorite iPod apps are nowhere to be found on Windows store. Conversely, the tablet does carry a full version of Windows 8.1 (not RT); meaning that theoretically anything that can be installed on a Windows 8.1 PC, can be installed and will run on this tablet, bearing in mind hardware requirements like processor speed, RAM, and installation size. So for instance while I can't access Android's Second Life apps and the Windows store has none, I can actually just put Firestorm or the SL official viewer on the tablet...the problem you run into there, though, is that such programs are usually not touch-optimized, nor were they made with 8-inch screens in mind. To fully use the SL viewer for example, I'd have to buy and use a USB keyboard along with the stylus, and have to set the viewer to a low resolution, which would result in a crowded screen when opening inventory or FL for example. Having Windows also means I could do things like plug USB flash drives, or even external disc or hard drives into the tablet via the USB connector, and YouTube videos I've seen show these devices working correctly. The device also ships with Office Home and Student 2013, the full version. And finally, I already have a Microsoft account all set up and integrated, so it would be so easy to just sync my new device to that and instantly have access to things like mail, contacts, Internet Explorer, and all that.

Both devices have 5MP back and 1.6MP front cameras which can take stills or videos, both come with WiFi and Bluetooth, and both come with GPS. Both app stores have access to both Kindle (which I need for the books I already own on Kindle) and Nook (which I want to move to, because Amazon's ebook business has done some things I decidedly don't approve of at all).

So those are my options. Do I get the Windows tab so that I can keep it synced with my PC, have neat peripheral/storage options, and trade superior app selection, optimization, and diversity for the ability to use some PC programs, plus the fancy stylus functionality and Microsoft Office 2013 as a sweetener? Or do I go for the slightly smaller and easier to carry tab, with larger app selection optimized for mobile devices, but reduced peripheral and storage options, and no Microsoft goodies, while having to enter the Google ecosystem? I like Microsoft way better than Google...but. But, but. It's a harder decision than I thought it would be. Both the pros and cons of each side are significant.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

That's a tough one.

Although, it's worth noting that SL Go is available for PC, which means you could use SL Go on the Windows tablet.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy View Post
That's a tough one.

Although, it's worth noting that SL Go is available for PC, which means you could use SL Go on the Windows tablet.
It seems to only be available for Android - at least, its website gives that impression. But SL Go also wants $10 a month! I don't need a mobile SL that bad - I can wait til I get home ^^

The more I think about the decision, it doesn't get any easier. I swing one way, and then I swing the other. Decisions, decisions. The Android tab comes with the Google store, but it also costs $20 more, for 32GB tops (compared to the 64GB of the Note...not including the SD card slot). With one of those adapters you can add a flash drive to the Android tab too I suppose, but do I wanna have that thing hanging off my tablet constantly? Hmm.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

SL G0 - Tell Me More
Quote:
Compatible Devices

PC/Mac Desktops: SL Go is also available in the OnLive Game Service desktop client, available for Mac or PC.
And yeah, I don't know that I'd pay $10/mo for mobile access.
Sure, if I made heavy use of it it would be a good deal, but if I barely used it... not so much.
You can use it hourly, but that's $1/hr.
So, if you don't spend at least 10 hours a month using SL Go, then it definitely wouldn't be worth it.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #11
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Looks like by far the biggest hurdle is getting my music transferred. The iPod is a native mp3 player by design - but Android tablets are not - or at least, don't seem to be. The main Android website is such a frustrating and uncannily identical clone of Apple's iOS website (basically just one huge waste-of-space ad - I flicked my scroll wheel four times to get a little less than a paragraph's worth of cumulative text) and I can't find even the most basic information like what default apps the OS starts you off with.

Looking through the Google Play store I've found an app called "Google Play Music" that it seems would serve the iTunes-like function, but the app's description text makes it pretty clear that it's designed first and foremost as a subscription-based streaming music app that lets you download music for offline use if you want as a kind of extra feature - it doesn't sound like organizing and maintaining an offline library is its focus. I know though, that Windows 8 has a "Music" app which is just a library app. So the Windows tablet seems to get points for having that function. The Windows music market (Xbox Live Music) is much smaller than Apple's. I don't know how big Android's is.

Then there's podcasts. Most of my podcasts only really feed through iTunes, with the only alternative being downloading each individual podcast episode as an mp3 and organizing it on your own. I don't know how Android would handle downloading mp3s to store...there's probably a number of third-party apps for handling that kind of thing.

But all of this could be made moot by the fact that I can just download the PC version of iTunes on the Windows tablet.

Starting to lean more and more towards it.
The following user offers hugs:

Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Sounds like the Windows tablet is going to win.

Let us know what happens!

Old 11-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

After thinking about it over the last two days, that's just what I've decided - I'm going to go with the Windows tablet. I would've had regrets whichever way I went; it's a simple fact that Android has more and better mobile games and applications than Windows. But Windows' mobile apps are adequate for what they are and Android's better mobile games and apps in the end can't compete with the full-version PC games and programs I can put on the Windows tab, in my opinion. On the other hand, I will prolly end up buying a mini portable Bluetooth keyboard and mouse in order to be able to use the thing to its most highest cool-potential, and (by necessity) a manpurse messenger bag to carry these in, but I think I'd be okay with that.
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Plus, Windows will only get more and more stuff going forward.

I have faith you'll be happy with your decision.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

I has a tablet!

Currently downloading like 300MB of updates though.

But I like it so far.
3 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Grats!
I hope it's awesome for you.
The following user says thanks:

Old 11-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #17
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Okay so I've had the thing long enough to develop some impressions.

The updating process was a little...I won't say buggy, but there were hiccups. I eventually got everything updated and installed though. Turns out one of the updates actually fixed the bugginess so I won't have to deal with it again. The Windows 8.1 that the tablet started with was the one where OneDrive was still called SkyDrive, so some things didn't work initially but now it's all good and I'm happy.

I bought the 64GB Vivotab, and put a 64GB microSD card in it which gives me basically 128 GB of disk space. The microSD card is a legit drive; I've installed Blender to it and the thing works perfectly so there's that. I did buy a little portable keyboard and mouse though, since I already knew that Blender and most other desktop programs not only aren't touch optimized, but really require a full keyboard and mouse. They work too.

The stylus works great. There's a preloaded paint program on the tablet and the pressure-sensitivity of whatever stylus sensing system the thing uses is very plain to see and all neato-keeno sexy-cool. The stylus itself comes with a tiny button on the side near the tip that you can press and hold as needed to make your taps "right-clicks" (they're left-clicks otherwise).

I never used Windows 8 on my desktop so I can't speak to how well the OS is for that - as we all know, there's been lots of complaints about it. But on a tablet, it's awesome. The apps work good. Everything's nice and tappable and moveable and all that. There's a button on the Start screen to flip over to desktop mode and most people who have 8.1 on their desktop computers have set it up to boot straight to that mode, but on my tablet I prefer the Start screen mode and only switch to desktop when I need to run desktop programs. There is a keyboard icon in the desktop system tray to bring up the screen keyboard whenever, and the keyboard has a few different useful modes too.

I was thinking about buying an adapter cable and like a USB disc drive so I could install some of the games and software I already have. Lucky me, I was able to set up my real computer's Blu-ray drive as a "network drive", so I could put the installation discs in my computer and install the program to the tablet over wifi. I'm all impressed with myself...but, it was slow going. And I can only install those games of mine which don't require the disc left in the drive, obviously. Which aren't many. But, Steam installed just fine so I'll prolly get most of my games by download I guess.

Desktop iTunes works just as I hoped. All my bought music and podcasts download and play just fine. Success! The only problem there is books I've bought from Apple's bookstore. They can be "downloaded" to the computer for backup purposes I guess, but can't be opened in desktop iTunes, and although they download as EPUB files and Nook wants to import them, they open as blank pages. Lame. But I only bought a couple of books from Apple anyways so meh, not that big a deal.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Sounds pretty sweet ovreall.

The one thing that stuck out to me was putting your blu-ray drive on a network... I'm wondering if I could do the same thing with my disc drive for my wife to use it from her laptop.
(She doesn't have a disc drive.)

Old 11-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

sha-POW!

She can even give your drive its own unique drive letter on her laptop!

Both computers DO have to be on the same home network to make it work though. So don't worry about some dweeb in Lithuania or someplace being able to use your shared drive.

Just keep in mind that the disc drive shared over the network will only be as fast as the network connection - so although the drive reads cat-fast on the computer it's actually plugged into, it might be a bit slower on her laptop when you're doing things like installing a program from it or moving files.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:54 AM   #20
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

That site is awesome, thanks!
I'll let you know if it works... if she needs it now.
(If not, then sometime later, I'm sure.)

This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #21
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

So

Old 12-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Well... she hasn't needed it so far, so nothing to report.

But if it's ever needed, that info will come in handy!

Old 12-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #23
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

OK!

I got something to report though. Christmas solved my iPod replacement problem. I got socks - and a smartphone! A Nokia 635. It's a Windows phone so it sync's right to my tablet - y'know, contacts and passwords and all that stuff. And I got a no-contract plan that's like unlimited everything. Even unlimited internet, although it slows down after 5 GB. And it has a WORKING NATIVE PODCAST APP that all of my podcasts sync to, even the private subscribed one, so now I don't need iTunes at all anymore!

I really like this phone. I like it just as much as my tablet. And I love Cortana! There's just one hitch (there's always one), no Nook app in the Windows Phone store. But that's okay, since I prefer the tablet for reading anyways - I've been spoiled by that big screen. Anyways, happy now.
4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #24
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Oh yay! How convenient!!

I'm starting to get jealous of everyone with their smartphones and tablets.
Not enough to make me change, mind you... but still, a bit jealous.

(I currently have a dumb phone and a desktop computer.)

Old 12-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
Spaceman Opus
Aquakosher

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Excellent! The 635 is a good phone. You'll find a few apps missing in the Windows Store, but personally I've never given most of them a 2nd thought.

Any issues or questions you might have, the folks over at the forums of http://www.windowscentral.com/ are a very helpful, if passionate bunch. You might even see me poking around

Old 12-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #26
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Sweet! Thanks.

Yeah, being a fan of a Microsoft thing (or things) isn't really popular. But I've been very satisfied with most of the MS stuff I've used in the last while, from games to gadgets. Things and glitches might pop up once in a while but I've never found Windows or other MS products to be the horrible nightmares of nonfunctionality that you'd think they would be after hearing the way some people complain about them. They've been good enough to me to earn a little brand loyalty. Anyways, the stuff works is what I'm saying. After using the Preview for the last few months on my PC I'm hyped about Win10 too. And that's gonna be on my desktop, tablet, and phone now. Too cool!

So I guess Lumia Denim is coming out next month. So is the next big Win10 event, so it'll be a fun month hopefully.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #27
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I really like this phone. I like it just as much as my tablet. And I love Cortana! There's just one hitch (there's always one), no Nook app in the Windows Phone store. But that's okay, since I prefer the tablet for reading anyways - I've been spoiled by that big screen. Anyways, happy now.
Is this one not compatible?

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en...3-a329d52bd372

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #28
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Nah that's for full Windows 8.1, not Windows Phone. Two different app stores. I got that one on my tablet.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #29
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

The big Windows thing is gonna be tomorrow at 9AM Pacific time. I dunno about you but I'm gonna be watching.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:14 AM   #30
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Let us know if there's anything interesting!

Old 01-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #31
Spaceman Opus
Aquakosher

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I haven't had time to look at anything else, and the way my Twitter feed was exploding about HoloLens it's the 1st thing I wanted to see.

Web Link   |   Mobile Link

Web Link   |   Mobile Link

HoloLens + Minecraft looks amazing.

HoloLens + their build tools looks suspiciously like SL, but I suppose there's only so many ways you can start with a toolbox of prims.

Gonna be an interesting few years....

Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #32
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Watch this....the first part is the same as that first video you have up there, so just skip to 2:15 in the video. It's a live demonstration of the HoloLens, and it is yummy.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #33
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

As for the Windows 10 stuff, as distinct from the HoloLens goodness, here's a good rundown of all the stuff they discussed during the event:

Now in the event of course they demo'd a lot of this stuff that he talks about and it looks pretty tight so far. Watching someone on a Windows PC joining a multiplayer game with someone on an Xbox One was nice. ^^

They did confirm btw that Windows 10 will be a FREE upgrade for people currently using Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1, and...Windows 7. But! The free offer only lasts for a year after launch.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #34
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Ohmanohmanohmanohman... WANT!

I want HoloLens.
I want Windows 10.
(I also want a 3D printer.)

I was going to come here to post about this shit, but looks like y'all beat me to it.
And with more info than I had.
Just some insanely awesome stuff going on there!!
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie: