Big Prims?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2
Default Big Prims?

I occasionally get a customer who wants something, in this case two customers who had some of my houses and wanted more but couldn't find my store.

(Because I haven't had my store for two years now.)

Anyway, one of them said you can have 50m prims now and rezzed a prim and stretched it out to fifty meters.

Now, I know I have been out of the loop, but this is ridiculous. Can you now make all prims this size? Or was he using a megaprim?
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Atra Lupis
Darkness from Light

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Atra Lupis Send a message via Yahoo to Atra Lupis Send a message via Skype™ to Atra Lupis
Awards Showcase
Purity of Fire 5k trainwreck 

The new prim size limit is 64m

What does this make me?

I am the Darkness that those of the Light foolishly believe they can be rid of.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men ..."

"Would you love a Monsterman?"

"Follow the signs of the Crimson Thunder/We will stay by your side/Let our voices be there, to guide you."
Atra Lupis is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atra Lupis View Post
The new prim size limit is 64m
wait wait what what

since when?

And you just have to have the new viewer for it, cause it doesn't work on mine.

ok wait - I put in your phrase "prim size limit" into google and got this off an SL site:

"Max. prim dimensions (non-megaprim) - 64×64×64m

it was 10×10×10m before SL Server 3.0.0 (238864) "

Since 3.0.0. How long have they had 3.0.0?

I'm still on 1. something, because when it went into 2's, it crashed me.

Edit: OK, I updated to the current viewer. Several things:

(1) I managed to make a prim 71.299 m tall. This is taller than 64 m. Any explanation for this?

(2) Man that is one cluttered screen. I can hardly see myself and my house in between all the dohickies all over the screen. (And the camera controls I depend on is way bigger now, yuck.)

(3) For the first time in two years, my ratio/aspect is correct again. I have fiddled with it two years and never could get it right, ever since I'd tried that 2.0.

Now, for some reason, things look right again. It must have done something when I tried 2.0 that made it never be right again on the 1. something version, no matter what I did. (And I tried it all, including the ratios that had once worked.)

(4) If I were still building houses, I would have to go and redo all my old houses to use the bigger prims where possible.

But since I am no longer building houses, I don't have to do that!

(5) I suppose this means I will now be able to see mesh things as something besides a box.

Last edited by Cocoanut Koala; 04-12-2012 at 10:37 PM.
The following user offers hugs:

Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Atra Lupis
Darkness from Light

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Atra Lupis Send a message via Yahoo to Atra Lupis Send a message via Skype™ to Atra Lupis
Awards Showcase

The server has been 3.0 since before the 3.0 client was every released ... I can only assume the 71+ meter prim is some sort of glitch as that is not supposed to happen, you're right.

As far as the client programs are concerned .... a few of the Third Party clients have skins and setups that are actually very similar to the older 1.x setups. Also, a few of the 1.x third party clients have Mesh and large prim capabilities now.

I'd recommend the one I use (Firestorm) as I'm more familiar with it but ....

Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Aimee Weber
Queen of the Metaverse

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

64m lim has been around for a while (a year?). And not a moment too soon.

That said, this week I had to pull out a 200x200x1m prim for a client project that required a very large rotating texture (so it couldn't really be done by with 4x50m prims).

Thank you, Plastic Duck.

The first amendment was never intended to protect speech that *I* don't like.

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

(Warning, cool results may vary. Consult a physician if symptoms persist.)
Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Atra Lupis
Darkness from Light

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
Thanks!
No problem Coco.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

All right, now it could be that I'm doing something wrong.

I will stipulate to that, before I rant.

Yes, I do acknowledge that possibility, and I'm perfectly willing to have egg on my face later, but for now, I wish to rant.

-----

LL CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT, NEVER COULD AND NEVER WILL.

They are supposed to be a computer-type thing, aren't they? A computer game or some such deal with some sort of higher-falutin purpose? Aren't computer-type things supposed to be LL's specialty? This thing on the computer is all they do, right?

And yet THEY CAN'T DO COMPUTER THINGS RIGHT????? When what they do is COMPUTER THINGS?

I mean, how pitiful is that?

So as mentioned above, I got the new viewer. Tonight I was trying to look at some houses this guy made and wanted me to look at, and so I thought I would find one of those Premium sandboxes.

Took a while to find Search on the new (cluttered) viewer. (Just like it took a long time to find Map.)

Once I found the fucker, I put in "sandbox" and clicked it. Nothing. NOTHING. No matter what I put in.

I headed off to the wikipukie or whatever it is forums, to find what others had said. Found one person who had my issue, but that was a month or so ago, I think. And no response to it.

Most were just having issues of not being able to show up in it, or find themselves or their store, or find people who hadn't paid an arm and a leg or something to be advertised, and other horrible ghastly stuff that makes me so extremely glad I'm not still trying to sell houses - life is too short.

But meanwhile, it would be nice if I could SEARCH since all these years I have been able to SEARCH and I'd rather not just GIVE IT UP because little Linden boys like to screw around all the time.

So this is YET ANOTHER of those MINOR LITTLE THINGS that Linden Lab considers YOUR PROBLEM, NOT THEIRS, as in, NOT A BUG but an INDIVIDUAL USER PROBLEM, good luck sucker.

So, as an individual user, I'm asking you all - what am I doing wrong?

Here I am, in SL for longer than several friends' kids have been on the earth, and I can't get the freaking search to do . . . ANYTHING. Seems to me like someone who has been in a freaking game that long ought to be able to do a simple thing like use Search without making a huge federal case about it.

I could just bring up the old 1- point-whatever viewer, but doing that last year caused both viewers to get messed up, so I'm reluctant to do that. (Plus it is ASININE to have to have several viewers on your desktop; "oh excuse me, I have to log off and go back to 1-point-whatever in order to use search.")

A stupid game should not be BRAIN SURGERY. I played Anarchy Online and that was definitely a complicated game, and I figured it out on my lonesome - but I NEVER ran into crap like this. (Worst that happened was once I got stuck somewhere, and a game person came and got me out.)

So why does SL have to be so picky, so quirky, so skittish, so prone to this and that thing not working, so special, so demanding that YOU cater to THEM rather than vice versa?

It's no wonder people give up! It's not the complexity of the thing, it's stuff like this!!!! You click on Search and it just plain flat-out doesn't work.

Any ideas what I should try?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
So as mentioned above, I got the new viewer. Tonight I was trying to look at some houses this guy made and wanted me to look at, and so I thought I would find one of those Premium sandboxes.
Coco, I only have an answer for the smallest part of your question.

When I'm trying to find a sim I know the name (or part thereof), I don't use the general search, I bring up the map and type the bit of the name I have into the search-box it has, and the map display then brings up a list of hits.

And you can find a list of the premium sandboxes here: http://secondlife.com/destinations/premium/sandboxes
Cale Vinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Yes, I know how to do that with the map, thankfully. And thanks for the list! I'll check that out.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

LL have definitely crippled Search. When it works, it's simply annoying: it displays too much information about too little; the olde Search gave one a long list of lots of stuff. The new one gives a verbose listing of just a few items from a long list; you have a leetul window that you get to move down the long list. And moving that leetul window is a nervous and jittery thing, too.

Added to this wondrous new functionality, the New Search often doesn't work at all. It's been getting better on that score, but it's still a miracle when it produces results at all.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Lord, no wonder people are upset! It's a wonder anybody's commerce can happen at all! Sounds like I'm not the only one, then, for whom Search simply does nothing.

If I hadn't already quit, I would definitely have quit with this new Search and its problems you describe. It sounds like even when it's working, people would have a hard time finding much find much of anything without a hassle, and it would be too tedious to spend the time to look down the list. Thus, much less chance of having one's own store being noticed or found among the thousands.

If I were more paranoid, I would think that LL has designed it that way in order to get more bucks from paid ads? Or what? They just don't care? Or they have gotten themselves into a big mess they can't fix?

It's hard for me to tell without seeing it myself, but I am fairly certain I would throw in the towel because of this if I hadn't already.

I quit because when the economy crashed, and the SL economy pretty much went down for a while after that, it was getting close to where I would no longer be longer making enough to afford the tier for my nearly-a-sim land that I showed my houses on.

If I were doing it now, I would be paying the big bucks to be seen at all, and also schmoozing with Lindens like a maniac in order to be one of their "picks."

Neither of which I would want to do.

So, oh well.

---

By the way, Shaggy and I can't tell how well SL is doing, because we don't really participate any more. Also, we know that because we aren't enthusiastic and involved anymore, our view could be jaded, and maybe it is still hot. Or somewhat hot. Or something.

How are the concurrency rates? Anybody know? Or new sign-up rates? The SL economy? Or whatever?

Do people think that SL reached its peak, like all games do, and possibly long ago? Is it lamed, or is it holding its own, or what?

Cause Shaggy and I really can't tell.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

Rez Date: Apr 18, 2005
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Sally Rosebud Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

This is why I use Firestorm.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
23rdDjin
trust... it's everything

Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 5k trainwreck 

so you can tell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lias
I believe your battle-stance attitude to posting on a free forum is part of your forum issues... After awhile you have to figure that it's not all of the forum owners and poster's that make up the problems you devise for yourself... Floating from forum to forum complaining, insulting the owner, demanding and proclaiming them failures is a very telling pattern of behavior.
23rdDjin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

Rez Date: Apr 18, 2005
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Sally Rosebud Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23rdDjin View Post
so you can tell?
No silly, everything seems to work better than on the standard SL viewer.
Sally Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?