Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Mainland: Second Life® > Content Creation

So I decided to install blender...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Zorena
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Rez Date: Jun 01, 2005
My Mood:
Exclamation So I decided to install blender...

... and I hate it and haven't even used it yet.

I've installed blender (2.49b) and the correct version of python and grabbed the primstar scripts and here's where the fun begins.
The installer for primstar does not work. Even after following the convoluted instructions for it on the read me and on the website they still won't install.
Can anyone that's successfully done it help me?

Old 04-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
Alexi Reggiane
SL Junkie

I can't answer your question about why it won't install, I did it a while back and it worked for me. I would suggest though trying to install JASS 2.0 from the Machinimatrix website. It is supposed to be easy and will load Blender, Primstar and Python for you. It is a fantastic resource full of video tutorials for making sculpties.
http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creation/jass-2-0/

Blender is a really full featured 3D model making program but learning to find and use all its features is a task. I've done alot of googling tutorials and information and have usually found the particular information I was having problems with. I'm still learning and trying to let it all sink in. Sometimes I get frustrated and have to shelf a project for a time while I try to get some more info. I almost always end up coming back to it and getting some success in what I was trying to accomplish.

I read where they are reworking the user interface for 2.5 hopefully it will be easier to use even if I have to learn where everything is again.
Alexi Reggiane is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 04-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi Reggiane View Post
I can't answer your question about why it won't install, I did it a while back and it worked for me. I would suggest though trying to install JASS 2.0 from the Machinimatrix website. It is supposed to be easy and will load Blender, Primstar and Python for you. It is a fantastic resource full of video tutorials for making sculpties.

Blender is a really full featured 3D model making program but learning to find and use all its features is a task. I've done alot of googling tutorials and information and have usually found the particular information I was having problems with. I'm still learning and trying to let it all sink in. Sometimes I get frustrated and have to shelf a project for a time while I try to get some more info. I almost always end up coming back to it and getting some success in what I was trying to accomplish.

I read where they are reworking the user interface for 2.5 hopefully it will be easier to use even if I have to learn where everything is again.
I'll look into jass. I'm not the only one having problems and it seems it's if you are instaling all the latest complete versions and haven't had a script install before. So much for nice new clean installs. >.<
Zorena is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

First of all, stop chewing on bamboo during the install.

Second, make sure you install the Panda friendly version

Three, forget blender, and go have sex....

No wonder you lot are endangered

The feral rabbit horde edged forward.

Pooh stepped over the decapitated corpse of Eeyore. There would be time for mourning afterwards.

Flanked by Tigger and Roo, they met the ravening rabbits in pitched battle.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
9 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
First of all, stop chewing on bamboo during the install.

Second, make sure you install the Panda friendly version

Three, forget blender, and go have sex....

No wonder you lot are endangered
You are so lucky i never use screwdrivers.
6 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 04-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorena View Post
... and I hate it and haven't even used it yet.

I've installed blender (2.49b) and the correct version of python and grabbed the primstar scripts and here's where the fun begins.
The installer for primstar does not work. Even after following the convoluted instructions for it on the read me and on the website they still won't install.
Can anyone that's successfully done it help me?
Hi Zorena.

For work reasons, I'm stuck with Python 2.5 on my "main" PC, but your post reminded me that I wanted to get the latest and greatest Primstar setup running on my "reserve" PC.

It seems to be working for me - I created a sculpty in Blender, edited it a bit, saved the image, and was able to bring that image back into Blender as a sculpty.

I'm running Windows XP.

These are the steps I took:

1) Downloaded "python-2.6.5.msi" from python.org and ran it to install Python 2.6.

2) Downloaded "blender-2.49b-windows.zip" from blender.org and unzipped it.

3) Ran the "blender.exe" executable ("C:\Apps\Blender\blender.exe" in my case). Checked the console window it creates behind the main app to see that it was recognising the installed Python:

Compiled with Python version 2.6.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!

4) Exited blender.

5) Unzipped the "primstar_1.0.0.zip" file to a temp directory. Unzipped contents included a "primstar" directory. Copied that across to (in my case) "C:\Apps\Blender\.blender\scripts". The scripts directory was already there, I did not have to create it.

6) Profit.

---------

I used the "Manual Installation" described in the Primstar readme.txt file because everyone knows that one-click-installers are the work of the devil, responsible for the fall of Rome, etc, etc. There's a cautionary note in the readme about needing a "bpydata/config" directory in your scripts directory, but again I found that that came as part of the blender zip file, I did not have to create it.

Having typed all that you're now going to tell me you're running an Apple or something silly like that. But if not, perhaps the above will help, or we can compare steps and see where things go kaput.
Cale Vinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
You are so lucky i never use screwdrivers.
"Blender: Turning Gentle Panda's into homicidal screwdriver-wielders since 2003."
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 04-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Vinson View Post
"Blender: Turning Gentle Panda's into homicidal screwdriver-wielders since 2003."
Haha!
Seriously Cale I followed those convoluted instructions for both manual and auto and neither worked. I put the primstar folder in the app/roaming/ blender/ script file (yes I'm missing steps here but I had the correct path when I was doing it) and when I tried the command line it kept telling me blender didn't exist. I was tearing my hair out.

If you previously had the scripts file with older primstar scripts in it the site did say it would work and was easier.

For what it's worth I tried the Jass. It works like a charm and I am up and running. It will take me a bit to learn this funky interface but it doesn't seem as bad as I was lead to believe.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Haha!
Seriously Cale I followed those convoluted instructions for both manual and auto and neither worked. I put the primstar folder in the app/roaming/ blender/ script file (yes I'm missing steps here but I had the correct path when I was doing it) and when I tried the command line it kept telling me blender didn't exist. I was tearing my hair out.

If you previously had the scripts file with older primstar scripts in it the site did say it would work and was easier.

For what it's worth I tried the Jass. It works like a charm and I am up and running. It will take me a bit to learn this funky interface but it doesn't seem as bad as I was lead to believe.
Fascinating. (Insert Mr. Spock raised eyebrow here.)

I made a point of uninstalling (and nuking the directories) everything first, so I knew I was starting "from scratch". There's obviously something odd going on, but I might do something entirely-un-Cale-like, and choose not to obsess over it.

Glad you got it working Zor.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Vinson View Post
Fascinating. (Insert Mr. Spock raised eyebrow here.)

I made a point of uninstalling (and nuking the directories) everything first, so I knew I was starting "from scratch". There's obviously something odd going on, but I might do something entirely-un-Cale-like, and choose not to obsess over it.

Glad you got it working Zor.
Thanks Cale I appreciate you obsessing for me.
Had the link to Jass not been posted I would be here obsessing with you. I am a stubborn panda usually.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Brann Georgia
Spits infinitives

Blender installed fine for me.
Then I looked at the interface. Then I tried to find online Blender tutorials, none of which actually seemed to have anything to do with Blender even tough they pretended to be for the version that I have. Freakin liars. Then I took a screwdriver to my PC and showed it what I think of it.

So now I don't make sculpties

Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brann Georgia View Post
Blender installed fine for me.
Then I looked at the interface. Then I tried to find online Blender tutorials, none of which actually seemed to have anything to do with Blender even tough they pretended to be for the version that I have. Freakin liars. Then I took a screwdriver to my PC and showed it what I think of it.

So now I don't make sculpties

I found these videos. I think they may help.

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-cre...deo-tutorials/

Are people born wicked or do they have wickedness thrust upon them? -- Galinda The Good.

"I don't have low self esteem, I have low esteem for others"--Daria Morgendorffer
Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Vudu

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi Reggiane View Post
Not to bring up old shit, but I wandered out of SL shortly after sculpties were introduced, and at the time it was an enormous pain in the ass making the switch from SL prims to 3D modeling programs like Blender, and getting sculpty maps out of the latter. That Jass package and accompanying videos had me fully installed and pumping out sculpties inside 30 minutes. There is no reason to be afraid of getting into sculpties (aside from the time wastage factor inherent in all SL activities) with tools and resources as straightforward as these.
Vudu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I'll have to try it again. Maybe a newer version is easier. I had the same problems as the OP.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Seeing what you'd do with sculpties is almost enough to coax me back into SL, Vudu.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
Vudu

My Mood:

So far I made Cool 'Thu a new hoodie. I'm thinking about rebuilding the av from the ground up, though I'll probably stick w/ the torus tentacles on the face.

Oryx, did you try the Jass installer? You have to go to their island in-world for a d/l link, but besides that it's just an .exe that installs everything for you.
Vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
2 users say thanks:

Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Have you guys tried the collada file in blender?
I have not played with making meshes in over a month, wish I had time to go back to it and build up an inventory for when SL introduces mesh.
Love the avy Vudu.

“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” ― Coco Chanel
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." ― Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Morgaine Alter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #18
Eggy

My Mood:

The real question is: Will it blend?
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
Clutch Cargo
Bongo Lover

The collada 1.4 exporter works like a champ for meshes Morgaine.
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?