Banner by Serenity Seoung

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic > SC Hearth and Home/Home Improvements

What about Washington?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 
Total Awards: 2
Default What about Washington?

The Mrs. and I have been considering making a major move... leaving New Jersey and settling down across the country in Washington state.
The thing is, we've never been there and can only learn so much from weather reports and grunge music.
SO... I was hoping that anyone with knowledge of the area could help flesh it out a bit for me.

From what I can tell, the weather is close to what we have now.
The main difference being that it doesn't get as cold or as hot in Washington as it does here.
Is that right?
Winters aren't fucking cold as shit and summers don't make you sweat yer balls right the fuck off your body?

I fucking LOVE New Jersey... it's lodged firmly in my blood.
Although, I did feel that I'd be happy if I moved to Amsterdam after attending the Cannabis Cup back in 2001.
So, maybe it's possible for me to be happy in another state.
Even if it is all the way across the country.

Basically, I think my question is, can anyone convince me to leave my lifelong home state for the Emerald City?
(We're thinking we'd want to be close to, or within, Seattle.)

Trout mentioned good schools (in the 2013 - Year of the Comet thread), which is great...
BUT, when I look at houses for sale, the schools in the area all tend to have low scores on the real estate site maps.
Is the issue that the sites are dumb?
Or are there certain areas that do have great schools that I just haven't come across yet?
When comparing to NJ, it looks like we generally have better scholastic choices.

Anyway...
Tell me, why should we move to Washington instead of staying in the most awesome state in the USA?
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

I'll leave this up to Trout, Oryx and Sally but I LOVED Washington in the time I was there. Beautiful place.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

Rez Date: Apr 18, 2005
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Sally Rosebud Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

I didn't grow up in the city so can't help you with that part. WA is beautiful. If you like outdoor activities it's an awesome place to live.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Sally Rosebud Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Awards Showcase

Let's see, what else can I add...

The average annual rainfall is actually less in Seattle than in Columbia, SC. The weather is more moderate than the weather in the northeast. 70's to low 80's in summer (when it actually gets there) and 40's in the winter. There are of course hot streaks and freezing spells, just like anywhere else. There really isn't a season change like you see here on the east coast-I know other places have it too, but he's from Jersey! There aren't any hurricanes, but they do have wind storms. So, if you get a house, a generator is not a bad idea, or have natural gas like my parents do. They may not have lights, but they have hot water and heat and can cook on the stovetop.

You'll have to get used to pumping your own gas!

Just from a quick glance, looks like taxes are better in WA than NJ.

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff later.
Sally Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I have an answer here, but I need a legitimate keyboard. I've been here since 1988 and I love it here. I'll add more tomorrow morning.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Man! What a couple of stupid busy days. Sorry for the late reply.

Kick - I can't really compare New Jersey to Washington because I don't know anything about New Jersey except Chris Christie, the Meadowlands and Hurricane Sandy. Snookie is from there, right?

I moved to Washington State in 1988, and there was no way in hell I'd ever go back from whence I came. I absolutely love it here.

First - the rain isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Yeah - it rains a lot. But, in Minnesota it snows a lot. Rain is warmer. We get plenty of sun in the Summers. Springs can be rainy, winters are pretty mild. We'll get a couple inches of snow here and there, which makes everyone panic. ZOMG! WINTER CATA-SNOW-PHE 2013!!! And then people who normally have no problem driving in monsoon rain immediately drive into the nearest ditch on purpose...because...BLACK ICE!!!

Overall, though, despite our quaint tradition of panicking when the thermometer drops below 20, the weather here is pretty mild and the rain makes this state beautiful. We have all four seasons, but they are pretty gentle. Tons of things to do if you love nature. The skiing is really good. The fishing is world class. Hiking and camping everywhere, boating, etc. If you're looking at Seattle, you're right on Puget Sound and about 30-40 minutes from Snoqualmie Pass. If you dig fresh water, you have many, many lakes for fishing, water-skiing, whatever.

Seattle is a really cool town. Great music and nightlife vibe, great food, lots of stuff to do with kids, and as far as cities of its size, it's pretty safe. I don't know about your politics, but Seattle is pretty liberal. The schools are supposedly pretty good as well, but I don't have anything to back that up.

There's this thing called the Seattle Freeze, where people who move here think that Seattleites are sort of aloof and stand-offish, but, honestly, I just don't see it. Everyone was really cool to me when I moved here, and they have continued to be. I think it's what you make of it. If you approach someone warmly and openly, that's how they'll receive you. If you are stand-offish and alof, that's what you'll get. (this is a generalizations, of course. Some people are just jerks - there's nothing you can do about them)

Cool things to do:

The Underground Tour is a blast! Seattle was built on tidal flats, and after a couple terrible fires and a rising disgust with the raw sewage in the city streets at high tide (you'd think someone would have seen that coming), they built the Denny Regrade in around 1890. Basically, they took all the first floors of buildings and made them the basement - buried the hell out of everything - like 60+ feet at the water. Now, they run a tour where you can go underground and walk on the sidewalks, look into the buildings, etc. It's really, really cool.

Take a ferry ride to one of the islands. Washington has the largest ferry system in the US.

The Waterfront is really cool, and Seattle Center is a great place to kill time - it's where the Space Needle is. Lunch at the Space Needle is really fun, but pretty spendy. Try Dick's Drive-in - it's a Seattle tradition. Mario Batalli's dad has a meat-centric restaurant down by the Clink.

Pike Place is cool, but touristy. You can only watch some guys throw a fish around for so long before you've had enough.

Green Lake in the Middle of the City and Gasworks Park are killer parks, as is The Arboretum.

We've got the Mariners if you love really, really awful baseball teams. (Seriously...WTF, Mariners!?) We've got the Seahawks if you love traditionally really, really awful football teams that are now mysteriously Superbowl contenders (Seriously, WTF, Seahawks!?). We're apparently next in line for an NHL team, and as for the NBA...well...David Stern can kiss my butthole. Dick. I hope he catches on fire.

The Seattle Art Museum is pretty good, but li'l Kick would probably not be that excited.

There's a strong and vibrant Native American Culture here. The nice thing is that there wasn't as much competition for resources, and a lot of the racism, oppression and hatred that a lot of Native Americans face. Yes - there's some, but it's just not as bad, and the Native American heritage plays a BIG part in the culture here off of the Reservations and for non-native Americans. The settlers here were a bunch of racist assholes, but the level of warfare and genocide that Native Americans faced in, for example, the Midwest, just didn't happen. The distances aren't as great either - meaning that the reservations are fairly small and integrated into the communities. The culture plays a big part both on and off the reservation. You see the art, events, etc. everywhere. Native American names and words are used for many, many things, like cities, rivers, mountains, etc., so get used to phonics not being your friend. I'm of Irish descent, mostly, and my first tattoo was a Northwest Native design.

Coffee - I don't understand this one, and neither will you. The Northwest laughs at your pitiful attempts to have a coffee culture. We pretty much invented it, and it runs our lives. My little town of 6000 people has either 6 or 7 separate coffee stands, two sit-down cafe's, and one in the grocery store (which is weird). People actually complain that we don't have enough choices here. It's like that EVERYWHERE here. The trend now (and for a couple years) is bikini barristas. Essentially, a drive-up coffee stand where a woman in a TINY bikini serves you coffee. Yeah...stripper coffee. I've seen naked women before. I'm totally in favor of naked women. However, I want people who make my food to wear clothes. At any rate, get used to caffiene. You're going to drink a lot of coffee.

Micro brews. The NW is home to some really great beers. We didn't create the micro brew craze like we did coffee, but it's going strong here. Ninkasi from Oregon is one of my favorites. Pike Place is a little corporate, but not bad. Pyramid has gone kind of corporate. Your best bet is to go to the little individual brew pubs where they serve a great meal and there's some fat hippy-looking dude in the back brewing the beer for the restaurant. It's always a fat hippy-looking dude. No idea why.

Pot...Now legal in Washington. Not my thing, but if it's yours, then recreational pot is about to be legally sold. We'll see how it goes. It looks to me like the government is going to completely fuck it up (shocking!), but it's legal, so toke up. Get stoned and bitch about the taxes you pay on pot. Sounds like fun.

Major industries - agriculture in Eastern WA, fishing and forestry in Western WA. Most of the Alaska fleet parks here in the off-season - including the Deadliest Catch guys. Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon in the Seattle Area. Seattle has a lot of medical research. I don't know what you do for a living, so I have no idea about the job market.

I've kind of ignored Eastern Washington because you said Seattle, but definitely go to Eastern Washington...in the Summer. It's like 10,0000 degrees below zero in the winter. There's a huge mountain range that divides the State in half and truly f's up their weather. But, there are several wine appellations if you dig wine tasting. (I like wine tasting - and I can taste better when I'm chugging down several glasses...can I get an AMEN!) lots of outdoor stuff. Aplets and Cotlets! Scary rednecks! um...that's pretty much it, but Eastern Washington and the Cascades do a pretty good job of keeping the Nazis in Idaho away from us. Like big, geographical speed bumps.

That's a nutshell. If you want to actually talk about it, PM me and I'll send you my number. Like I said, I truly love the Northwest. It's definitely not perfect for everyone, but it is for me. I just fit here.
4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?
The following user offers hugs:

Old 12-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
Man! What a couple of stupid busy days. Sorry for the late reply.
No worries, I'm just getting to this shit now.

Quote:
Kick - I can't really compare New Jersey to Washington because I don't know anything about New Jersey except Chris Christie, the Meadowlands and Hurricane Sandy. Snookie is from there, right?
All true, but not definitive by any stretch of the imagination.
For instance, we also have the Jersey Devil, the safest AND most dangerous cities, and Atlantic City (which is a 6 hour drive for 40% of the population of the USA).
But really, the point here is I couldn't do a decent comparison either... my knowledge of Washington is just as sparse: Coffee, grunge, legal pot, Space Needle.

Quote:
First - the rain isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Yeah - it rains a lot. But, in Minnesota it snows a lot. Rain is warmer. We get plenty of sun in the Summers. Springs can be rainy, winters are pretty mild. We'll get a couple inches of snow here and there, which makes everyone panic. ZOMG! WINTER CATA-SNOW-PHE 2013!!! And then people who normally have no problem driving in monsoon rain immediately drive into the nearest ditch on purpose...because...BLACK ICE!!!
Sounds comparable to Jersey.
While black ice can be a bitch, it all sounds easy enough to deal with.

Quote:
Seattle is a really cool town. Great music and nightlife vibe, great food, lots of stuff to do with kids, and as far as cities of its size, it's pretty safe. I don't know about your politics, but Seattle is pretty liberal. The schools are supposedly pretty good as well, but I don't have anything to back that up.
I'm definitely liberal and the political climate is one of the mor attractive points for us.
Not to mention I appreciate there being great music, great nightlife and especially great food!
We're thinking about homeschooling, so the public school system may not be all that important anyway.

Quote:
There's this thing called the Seattle Freeze, where people who move here think that Seattleites are sort of aloof and stand-offish, but, honestly, I just don't see it. Everyone was really cool to me when I moved here, and they have continued to be. I think it's what you make of it. If you approach someone warmly and openly, that's how they'll receive you. If you are stand-offish and alof, that's what you'll get. (this is a generalizations, of course. Some people are just jerks - there's nothing you can do about them)
Meh... I'm from Jersey, ain't shit like that gonna bother me.

Quote:
Cool things to do:

The Underground Tour is a blast! Seattle was built on tidal flats, and after a couple terrible fires and a rising disgust with the raw sewage in the city streets at high tide (you'd think someone would have seen that coming), they built the Denny Regrade in around 1890. Basically, they took all the first floors of buildings and made them the basement - buried the hell out of everything - like 60+ feet at the water. Now, they run a tour where you can go underground and walk on the sidewalks, look into the buildings, etc. It's really, really cool.
Like Old New York from Futurama!!!!!!
Sweet!

Quote:
The Waterfront is really cool, and Seattle Center is a great place to kill time - it's where the Space Needle is. Lunch at the Space Needle is really fun, but pretty spendy. Try Dick's Drive-in - it's a Seattle tradition. Mario Batalli's dad has a meat-centric restaurant down by the Clink.
It sounds like I'd be more into Dick's and Batalli's shit than the toursity food anyway.
Good tips, thanks!

Quote:
We're apparently next in line for an NHL team, and as for the NBA...well...David Stern can kiss my butthole. Dick. I hope he catches on fire.
I'm not big on sports, but I am proud of the Jersey Devils hockey team.
And not just because they're the only pro sports NJ team left. :P

Quote:
There's a strong and vibrant Native American Culture here. The nice thing is that there wasn't as much competition for resources, and a lot of the racism, oppression and hatred that a lot of Native Americans face.
[snip]
The culture plays a big part both on and off the reservation. You see the art, events, etc. everywhere. Native American names and words are used for many, many things, like cities, rivers, mountains, etc., so get used to phonics not being your friend. I'm of Irish descent, mostly, and my first tattoo was a Northwest Native design.
That sounds pretty cool.
My first dozen years were spent growing up in a town (Metuchen) named after a Native American chief, known as Matouchin.
So yeah, that whole thing is definitely a plus for me.

Quote:
Coffee - I don't understand this one, and neither will you. The Northwest laughs at your pitiful attempts to have a coffee culture. We pretty much invented it, and it runs our lives. My little town of 6000 people has either 6 or 7 separate coffee stands, two sit-down cafe's, and one in the grocery store (which is weird). People actually complain that we don't have enough choices here. It's like that EVERYWHERE here. The trend now (and for a couple years) is bikini barristas. Essentially, a drive-up coffee stand where a woman in a TINY bikini serves you coffee. Yeah...stripper coffee. I've seen naked women before. I'm totally in favor of naked women. However, I want people who make my food to wear clothes. At any rate, get used to caffiene. You're going to drink a lot of coffee.
I get it... the whole "this is OUR shit".
Like pizza... NYC and NJ pretty much hold the claim to THE BEST pizza in the country.
It's partially due to the water... evidenced by other states trying to replicate it having to import water from our area.
But I appreciate quality beverages/food, so again... it sounds like a strong "plus".

Quote:
Micro brews. The NW is home to some really great beers. We didn't create the micro brew craze like we did coffee, but it's going strong here. Ninkasi from Oregon is one of my favorites. Pike Place is a little corporate, but not bad. Pyramid has gone kind of corporate. Your best bet is to go to the little individual brew pubs where they serve a great meal and there's some fat hippy-looking dude in the back brewing the beer for the restaurant. It's always a fat hippy-looking dude. No idea why.
I think it's obvious that this is a HUGE plus for me!
I've considered trying to get a shit job at a brewery, so it sounds like that may be a good place to try for that.
(I'm "hippie looking" and am heavier than I used to be, so who knows?!? )

Quote:
Pot...Now legal in Washington. Not my thing, but if it's yours, then recreational pot is about to be legally sold. We'll see how it goes. It looks to me like the government is going to completely fuck it up (shocking!), but it's legal, so toke up. Get stoned and bitch about the taxes you pay on pot. Sounds like fun.
I'm cool with the taxes and even cooler with the legality.
This is another industry I've thought about getting into.
It'd be a great place to pursue our own little head shop, if we ever wanted to deal with the headache of owning/operatin a business.

Quote:
Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon in the Seattle Area. Seattle has a lot of medical research. I don't know what you do for a living, so I have no idea about the job market.
Currently, I'm unemployed.
But, my last job was a low level tech industry job (customer service/"security") and I know there's a better selection of those jobs out there.
(Hell, maybe I could go work for Linden Lab! LOL!)

Quote:
I've kind of ignored Eastern Washington because you said Seattle, but definitely go to Eastern Washington...in the Summer. It's like 10,0000 degrees below zero in the winter. There's a huge mountain range that divides the State in half and truly f's up their weather. But, there are several wine appellations if you dig wine tasting. (I like wine tasting - and I can taste better when I'm chugging down several glasses...can I get an AMEN!) lots of outdoor stuff. Aplets and Cotlets! Scary rednecks! um...that's pretty much it, but Eastern Washington and the Cascades do a pretty good job of keeping the Nazis in Idaho away from us. Like big, geographical speed bumps.
AMEN!

Yeah, I hate the cold... will definitely avoid that shit.
That Aplets and Cotlets place looks awesome!
And again... wine!

Thanks SO much for your input on this!!!
It was as thorough as I was hoping for and helps a lot in getting a feel for what it's like out there.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
.Coffee - I don't understand this one, and neither will you. The Northwest laughs at your pitiful attempts to have a coffee culture. We pretty much invented it, and it runs our lives.
Just a quick caveat here. The founders of $tarbucks moved to Seattle from the San Francisco Bay Area and until they got big enough bought their coffee and espresso bean from Pete's Coffee in the Bay Area. So while $tarbucks definitely grew the "coffee culture" to what it is now, they didn't create it.

Not that it matters.

The history of coffee and espresso drinks both in this country and worldwide is actually pretty interesting.

And has no baring on the topic of this thread.

Trout forgot the Space Needle which is also touristy but still pretty cool.

I don't know New Jersey but the rain myth is a red herring. There are more rain days in Seattle but many are just sprinkles.

I know NJ is the "Garden State" but unless you live outside the cities you will be shocked how green everything is. Including in the cities. (This goes for Portland an San Francisco too and probably LA.) Nature and even wildlife is more integrated into cities on the West coast than the East coast.

You'll learn to hate people on your current coast and their "East Coast Bias".

Trout and Sally please correct me if I've said anything wrong.
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Sally mentioned natural disasters. We're on a fault line, so potentially earthquakes.

Ice storms in Winter where it sort of rains, then freezes, then rains, then freezes and on and on until there's 3 inches of ice on the power lines and trees, which promptly fall down and screw up your commute and internet access.

The real danger here - the thing that could truly destroy our world almost happened in 1980 (skip ahead to around :48 for the TLDR version):

We still don't trust that St Helens bitch. She's not our only volcano, either.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Oh, and apparently this is a thing.
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 12-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Sansarya
Just Sans

Rez Date:
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Rosebud View Post
Wow, he really belabors the point there! I had to stop reading after the Travis Bickle thing because, okay, you said no and explained how you said it and why it sounded more like a maybe and I understand, pleasestoptalkingnow.
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
That's a cute article.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #13
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
natural disasters
fault line
potentially earthquakes
Ice storms
3 inches of ice
power lines and trees, which promptly fall down and screw up your commute and internet access
We still don't trust that St Helens bitch. She's not our only volcano, either.
Youch.

I can deal with ice and black ice, no problem.
If I can, I'd work from home, so commuting may not be an issue.
BUT...
VOLCANOES! EARTHQUAKES!
LOSS OF INTERNET ACCESS!!!!!

I mean, really... we hear a Nor'Easter is heading our way and people slap some plywood on their windows and call it a day.
Y'all don't even get prep time... it's just, "Hey honey, did you see this episode of Price is Ri...OHFUCKSHIT! PROTECT THE DISHES!! GET IN THE DOORWAY!"
Or, in case of volcano, "FUCK! LAVA! RUN... or at least walk at a brisk pace! Call Tommy Lee!"

But seriously... the icy finger of internet access death is probably the biggest problem I've heard so far.
Even compared to earthquakes and volcanoes.
(Not that those aren't worrying, especially compared to not having them out here.)

Although, from what I've seen, if Yellowstone erupts, Washington is like the last state in the USA to feel the effects... and even then, to a lesser degree than even California.
So, there's that.

But I have to head off to bed now...
Thanks again, to everybody!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Lil Kick would probably like the Pacific Science Center and the Seattle Aquarium!

Have you seen the Space Needle's new website? It's pretty cool.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Oh, if you like soccer there are the Sounders, and you've got the Seattle Thunderbirds as well as Everett Silvertips hockey (WHL). Kinda like minor league hockey. I shall be going to one or two Silvertips games on my trip home.

Can you tell I miss WA?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #16
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

The Thunderbirds play down in Kent, now, but that's right next to Seattle. Those games are INSANE. So much fun.

I'm old school. I still have a Tacoma Rockets jersey.

Sent via semaphore

Old 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

The Space Needle used to have an amusement park at its base which was great for the kids. Games, rides, etc. They tore it our and replaced it with the Chihuly Glass Museum - not as great for the kids, but still a pretty cool museum.

Starbucks isn't really part of the coffee thing here as much as it is elsewhere. They're huge, of course, and they were in the game at the very beginning, but in a lot of places outside of the PNW, they are the only game in town, or they are only in competition with a few coffee shops, so they play a huge role. There are a lot of other choices here - far more than in most places, so people are really starting to notice the differences between a really high-quality cup and a Starbucks cup.

Generally, Starbucks coffee is sub-par and corporate. It has a weird burnt taste to it, and it just can't compare with small-batch locally roasted coffees. Batdorf and Bronson, Raven's Brew and a few others are turning out some incredible coffees that don't taste like they were roasted in someone's toaster oven. There are places where you can walk in and buy coffee from regions that you've never heard of, or where it's almost impossible for normal bulk buyers to access. You pay more, but I find that I drink less and enjoy it a lot more than if you just get generic Folgers or whatever and gulp it down.
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 12-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Starbucks isn't really part of the coffee thing here as much as it is elsewhere. They're huge, of course, and they were in the game at the very beginning, but in a lot of places outside of the PNW, they are the only game in town, or they are only in competition with a few coffee shops, so they play a huge role. There are a lot of other choices here - far more than in most places, so people are really starting to notice the differences between a really high-quality cup and a Starbucks cup.

Generally, Starbucks coffee is sub-par and corporate. It has a weird burnt taste to it, and it just can't compare with small-batch locally roasted coffees.
Thank you. I try to tell everyone that $tarbucks has a Burt or over roasted bean taste compared to good coffee. The coffee shops I went to in Berkeley and Oakland all had better beans. $tarbucks chocolate sucks in their mochas too. The place I went to in Oakland used Ghiradelli and the one in Berkeley used a powdered Italian chocolate which tasted off in powder but in the mocha was awesome.

I agree $tarbucks is substandard. They are a factory not a coffee shop. I just give them credit for expanding the countries understanding and appreciation of real coffee and espresso drinks as opposed to Folgers crap.

I forgot to mention the quasi-mandatory annual trip to Cashmere Washington in central Washington to the Applets and Cottlets factory! (By quasi-mandatory I mean recommended.) and once you meet someone who owns an orchard you can go in apple season an pick the off the tree!

Old 12-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #19
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
[snip] and once you meet someone who owns an orchard you can go in apple season an pick the off the tree!
That's pretty cool.
Of course, we have orchards out in NJ where we can pick apples and all kinds of shit.
Also, when my sister was a teenager, she was friends with a girl who was part of the Lairds family. (As in, Lairds Applejack.)

I'm reading that back and it sounds like I'm being a pretentious ass.
It's meant more as a non-serious, playful sticking out of the tongue.
So, don't take it personally.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
Textured Surface

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I've never been there, but I hear it's cold. I mean white stuff falling from the sky cold, which is something I haven't seen in some 10-12 years. That and they don't speak southern. It's like a different land; another world blanketed in cold white stuff. We'd go conquer them if it weren't so cold up there. I've heard that you have to have a Prius. I think that's like a North Western passport, but I'm not sure. I've heard stories about these critters up there called hippies. They're everywhere, illegal to shoot, and they taste bad. I don't know how anyone survives out there.

That's all I know.
Textured Surface is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textured Surface View Post
I've never been there, but I hear it's cold. I mean white stuff falling from the sky cold, which is something I haven't seen in some 10-12 years. That and they don't speak southern. It's like a different land; another world blanketed in cold white stuff. We'd go conquer them if it weren't so cold up there. I've heard that you have to have a Prius. I think that's like a North Western passport, but I'm not sure. I've heard stories about these critters up there called hippies. They're everywhere, illegal to shoot, and they taste bad. I don't know how anyone survives out there.

That's all I know.
I think you are confusing WA with British Columbia. Those Canadians are weird.
4 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Jersey:

Seattle:

Web Link   |   Mobile Link

Both equally rocking. Both equally cool (except for Kurt's escapade with the shotgun).

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Around February, up on the Skagit River near Concrete or Rockport or something they have a HUGE influx of bald eagles hanging around going after spawning salmon.
4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 12-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Biotech is also a huge industry, but centers in Seattle. Not much outside of the city.

Also a snob factor: smoked salmon. Until you've had salmon either hot or cold smoked from someone's back yard, you haven't learned how to start tasting it. Salmon candy is divine. Like BBQ down south, smoked salmon is here. Everyone has their own secret recipe.

The forests can be sort of scary. Not because of the bears or the cougars, but because of the meth labs, and the accompanying pit bulls and guys with shotguns. But they're also gorgeous, and trails abound.

Cost of living is far cheaper in the South Sound (Olympia, e.g.) than Seattle. Commuter trains and buses run during work hours from Tacoma to Seattle and are very reasonably priced. Don't drive. I5 sucks.

Seattle has banned plastic shopping bags, and bicycles are a huge part of traffic despite the rain. This Eco-attitude doesn't expand much beyond Seattle, though. East of the mountains is staunchly republican and actually talks about breaking off from Western WA and calling itself "Cascadia" as the 51st state.

As a newcomer (5 years), I'm still not used to the rain. October thru May. Last freeze in our area is Mothers Day, generally. Right around April 1, I start going crazy with cabin fever, and bitching about the weather.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #25
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
Also a snob factor: smoked salmon. Until you've had salmon either hot or cold smoked from someone's back yard, you haven't learned how to start tasting it. Salmon candy is divine. Like BBQ down south, smoked salmon is here. Everyone has their own secret recipe.
This sounds fucking awesome.
I feel like that's something I could totally get into.
We love great food and are both fans of good salmon, so that's a huge plus.

Quote:
The forests can be sort of scary. Not because of the bears or the cougars, but because of the meth labs, and the accompanying pit bulls and guys with shotguns. But they're also gorgeous, and trails abound.
Got it.
Some trails, maybe.
Please to avoid meth labs, meth dogs and meth shotgunners!!!

Quote:
Cost of living is far cheaper in the South Sound (Olympia, e.g.) than Seattle. Commuter trains and buses run during work hours from Tacoma to Seattle and are very reasonably priced. Don't drive. I5 sucks.
This is good info, thanks!
Hopefully I can figure out a way to work from home, in which case I could just pull up a webcam of I5 and laugh heartily while flipping it the finger.

Quote:
Seattle has banned plastic shopping bags, and bicycles are a huge part of traffic despite the rain. This Eco-attitude doesn't expand much beyond Seattle, though. East of the mountains is staunchly republican and actually talks about breaking off from Western WA and calling itself "Cascadia" as the 51st state.
If we ended up moving there, we'd definitely end up staying in the eco-friendly area.
I didn't know they'd banned plastic bags... that's pretty freakin cool.
Shit... maybe I'd even get a bike!

Oh... and fuck Cascadia.
They can sit and spin along with I5.

Quote:
As a newcomer (5 years), I'm still not used to the rain. October thru May. Last freeze in our area is Mothers Day, generally. Right around April 1, I start going crazy with cabin fever, and bitching about the weather.
I'm awesome with staying indoors for extended periods of time.
But, how cold is the rain? (I might be able to get used to it quicker if it's not too bonechilling.)

Thanks for all this, it's a lot of meat for my mind.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
Jen Kawaguichi
Suspected person

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

While most people conflate Seattle with Washington, there are, more or less, three parts of Washington state. The peninsula, western WA and eastern WA.

While the Olympic peninsula is geographically also western WA, it has its own culture and climate. The Hoh national rainforest there is the only temperate rainforest in the northern hemisphere and gets 12 to 14 feet of rainfall every year. Yeah, it's wet. The ocean front is beautiful there, but the water is cold. It's also pretty sparsely populated and the Olympic mountains are to this day considered pretty impenetrable. Politics here lean toward libertarianism and other stuff mixed in.

Western WA lies between the peninsula and the Cascade mountains. It's pretty temperate and moderately rainy. The Seattle extended metro area gets about 38inches of rain per year, mostly in the Oct-Apr time frame as a frequent light drizzle. This is where most of the state's population lives. Here are Seattle, Olympia, Tacoma, Bellingham, Vancouver, and most other WA cities you may have heard of. Politics lean toward liberal and libertarian. Almost all the cities lie on the north-south I-5 corridor. Most of the remainder the area is rural, with much farming activity.

Eastern WA lies east of the Cascade mountains and west of Idaho. It is a dry and barren wasteland of high desert, dotted with sagebrush. Well, okay, since the 1940s, dam-created irrigation has turned eastern WA into an agricultural paradise. Almost all of America's hops are grown there, grapes and wine, apples and cherries, dryland wheat where there is no irrigation, and much more. The sky is almost always blue and clear. Only 11 inches or so of rain per year. Spokane and the Tri-cities are the major urban centers, and Yakima to a lesser extent. Politics leans toward conservative and libertarian. Your statement below is apt for eastern WA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy View Post
Winters aren't fucking cold as shit and summers don't make you sweat yer balls right the fuck off your body?
Well, apt in that the winters are cold as shit and the summers will sweat yer balls off.

I lived in Seattle for almost 15 years, and have now lived in the middle of nowheresville desertland for about five years. All parts of the state have their good sides. If I could somehow combine my current ruralness and wine-proximityness with the gray, overcastness and trees of the west side, that would be pretty nice.
Jen Kawaguichi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
2 users say thanks:

Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Kawaguichi View Post
While most people conflate Seattle with Washington, there are, more or less, three parts of Washington state. The peninsula, western WA and eastern WA.

[snip]

I lived in Seattle for almost 15 years, and have now lived in the middle of nowheresville desertland for about five years. All parts of the state have their good sides. If I could somehow combine my current ruralness and wine-proximityness with the gray, overcastness and trees of the west side, that would be pretty nice.
Thanks for all the info in there!
The rainforest-y area sounds like a trip to visit.
Hmm... now that I mention that word, it seem like a great place to go shroomin.

It sounds more and more like we would want to stay as close to (or in) Seattle as possible.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Thanks for all the info in there!

It sounds more and more like we would want to stay as close to (or in) Seattle as possible.
I could be wrong but I think most shroomers go to Oregon. I ran into a LARGE group of them in a state park there.

The following user disagrees:

Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think most shroomers go to Oregon. I ran into a LARGE group of them in a state park there.

Hmm... Trout hit a "Disagree" on this.
I wonder if that means Washington is better for shroomers/shroomin/shroomery in general?

Old 12-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
Jen Kawaguichi
Suspected person

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
I never had the opportunity to try a magic shroom, but I had a friend go hiking on the Olympic peninsula by himself once. He got in about ten miles and then broke his big toe. He claimed that he only made it back out by scavenging some "medicinal" mushrooms to mask the pain.
Jen Kawaguichi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #31
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

It depends on when the rain falls. In February, it's bone chilling. Dress accordingly and you're fine. Spring and Fall, it isn't too cold. Natives.don't carry umbrellas. We just get rained on.

Do you fish? The best smoked salmon is salmon you've caught yourself and smoked in you're back yard. I don't need much of an excuse to go fishing. "Kick needs to catch a salmon and I know where they is..." is plenty good enough. Just sayin'.

Sent via semaphore

Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #32
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
It depends on when the rain falls. In February, it's bone chilling. Dress accordingly and you're fine. Spring and Fall, it isn't too cold. Natives.don't carry umbrellas. We just get rained on.

Do you fish? The best smoked salmon is salmon you've caught yourself and smoked in you're back yard. I don't need much of an excuse to go fishing. "Kick needs to catch a salmon and I know where they is..." is plenty good enough. Just sayin'.
Ok, sounds like the rain is similar to Jersey, which makes sense from what I've looked into so far.
But, I'd probably jump right into not using an umbrella.
(I'll just wear a cheap, straw cowboy hat instead. lol)

And nope, I don't fish.
That's not to say I haven't done some simple waterside fishing a time or two in my life, it's just not something I normally do.
But, I might be able to get into it... especially if I want to make my own kick-ass salmon.
I mean... I like beer and sitting around, why shouldn't I like fishin?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Now, I lived on Whidbey Island for the first 34 yrs of my life. I only remember ONE earthquake that I actually felt, and I remember feeling the plate glass windows rattling when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980 (I was only 5 at the time but it woke me up). If you need any info on Whidbey, I can answer them! Here's a map of the counties in WA:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WA_Counties.jpg (40.7 KB, 12 views)

Old 12-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #34
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Whidbey Island is in Island County, makes sense, doesn't it? I've lived in Oak Harbor and Coupeville. There is a naval air station outside of Oak Harbor, which is how I got to WA in the first place. Go Navy! Anyways. It's a cool place to visit if you ever move to WA and get the chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whidbey_camano_map.jpg (96.7 KB, 11 views)

Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #35
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Now, I lived on Whidbey Island for the first 34 yrs of my life. I only remember ONE earthquake that I actually felt, and I remember feeling the plate glass windows rattling when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980 (I was only 5 at the time but it woke me up). If you need any info on Whidbey, I can answer them! Here's a map of the counties in WA:
Wait, you lived on Whidby? I thought you lived on Anacotes. I remember talking about Deception Pass. If you lived in Oak Harbor then my Banana Slug picture from Rhodadendron State park really WAS appropriate!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Yep, never lived on Fidalgo Island but I've been to Anacortes plenty of times.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #37
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

OH YEAH!
I forgot to mention... we're thinking of coming out there to check out the area.
Kind of getting a feel for the area before deciding on whether or not to move there.

But here's the thing... we're not thinking of "what's the nicest time of year to visit".
Quite the opposite, we were thinking we should come out in February... figuring, if we can get along with the worst of it, then it's something to consider.

So, that's another question... how crappy is February?
Will it be crappy enough to use as a "low point" experience?

Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #38
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Hmm... Trout hit a "Disagree" on this.
I wonder if that means Washington is better for shroomers/shroomin/shroomery in general?
I don't know about Oregon, but mushroom hunting in Washington is HUGE. At least in SW Washington. People protect their secret spots more than us fishermen. I don't trust myself enough to not screw up and poison myself, but a lot of guys are seriously into it.

Quote:
OH YEAH!
I forgot to mention... we're thinking of coming out there to check out the area.
Kind of getting a feel for the area before deciding on whether or not to move there.

But here's the thing... we're not thinking of "what's the nicest time of year to visit".
Quite the opposite, we were thinking we should come out in February... figuring, if we can get along with the worst of it, then it's something to consider.

So, that's another question... how crappy is February?
Will it be crappy enough to use as a "low point" experience?
February is definitely the worst point in weather. Gorgeous summers. Wet, but pretty Springss. Really nice crisp Falls. Shitty Winters. It's ok at first, but February is pretty much the end, and you're sick and tired of Winter's bullshit by then. Honestly, though, people here, including me, are complete weather pussies here. Compared to a lot of places, Washington, is SO nice. People in the Midwest would laugh their asses off at the things we bitch about.

If you come out in February, you had better let us know. We'd love to meet up and show you around.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #39
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
I don't know about Oregon, but mushroom hunting in Washington is HUGE. At least in SW Washington. People protect their secret spots more than us fishermen. I don't trust myself enough to not screw up and poison myself, but a lot of guys are seriously into it.
Sweet... although, I'm not sure if you're talking about magic mushrooms alone or mushrooms in general.
Granted, either way is a plus to me.
(For a small period of time I considered pursuing a career as a mycologist. Even have/read a book about mushrooms, hunting them and a bunch of jargon I had no idea about.)

Quote:
February is definitely the worst point in weather. Gorgeous summers. Wet, but pretty Springss. Really nice crisp Falls. Shitty Winters.
Sounds pretty similar to here... although, you may have wetter springs.
(Maybe Mother Nature just REALLY likes y'all. :wagglebrows: )
But good... we're on target for the right time to be there.

Quote:
If you come out in February, you had better let us know. We'd love to meet up and show you around.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #40
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
I don't know about Oregon, but mushroom hunting in Washington is HUGE. At least in SW Washington. People protect their secret spots more than us fishermen. I don't trust myself enough to not screw up and poison myself, but a lot of guys are seriously into it..
Listen to Trout. He actually lives there. My knowledge is based on one experience meeting shroomers in the wild of Oregon (I think Crescent Lake State Park). Knowing Oregon and Oregonians I can't imagine it's not a big deal there but may be big in Washington to.