Banner by Jen

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Gamer Lobby / Other Worlds > World of Warcraft

Anybody else ever had this experience?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2
Default Anybody else ever had this experience?

Last night I had a class in one of the meeting rooms at the college library. Afterwards, I was on my way out and ran into a guy I know who is on staff at the university and who, encouraged by Sans and I, began playing WoW about 4-5 months ago. He has just burned it up, having already reached 85 on one toon, 80 on a Death Knight, and I'm not sure what all else.

We're there in the middle of the main lobby of the library, people coming and going all around us, staffers at the main desk on one side of us and students using the public computers on the other side, when I suddenly become aware that, for anyone who might be listening, our conversation is peppered with phrases that, to a non-WoWer, are tantamount to a foreign language.

"Bla bla bla bla DK, bla bla bla bla battlegrounds! Bla bla bla bla PvP, bla bla bla bla fucking Lich King! Bla bla bla bla Pandaria, bla bla bla bla Justice Points!"

And like that.

Am I the only one?

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Matt and I also have experienced that. You are not alone.

Don't worry unless you find yourself saying El Oh El out loud.

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

I had the same experience when I took my son to dinner. We were sitting in the booth, chatting away about dungeons and I realized I had just said something like, "look, it's the tank's job to pull and hold the aggro. You're DPS, so hang back out of the way and let him run to the mob before you open fire or you could wipe the whole group and have to do the run of shame back to the dungeon and re-enter the instance. The healer will keep him alive a lot longer if he or she doesn't have to babysit you.."

It occurred to me that we were just spouting gibberish to anyone who doesn't play. It also occurred to me that when I called my wife an achievement whore in public, that I was inviting someone to punch me in the face. I may have also said that I was whoring for rep in Northrend, which probably reflected poorly on me to the casual listener.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

And when I say we had a "wow orgy" people look at me funny.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Matt and I also have experienced that. You are not alone.

Don't worry unless you find yourself saying El Oh El out loud.
Are tee eff im! Rawful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
I had the same experience when I took my son to dinner. We were sitting in the booth, chatting away about dungeons and I realized I had just said something like, "look, it's the tank's job to pull and hold the aggro. You're DPS, so hang back out of the way and let him run to the mob before you open fire or you could wipe the whole group and have to do the run of shame back to the dungeon and re-enter the instance. The healer will keep him alive a lot longer if he or she doesn't have to babysit you.."
Good instructions, however. It took Mulch lecturing me on the role of a healer (in my early days as a Shaman) to get me to stop lobbing in a Flame Shock or Frost Shock or Lightning Bolt now and then.

Finally, I got in touch with my inner DPSer and ditched the Resto spec.

(What would people listening have thought of THAT spiel?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
It occurred to me that we were just spouting gibberish to anyone who doesn't play. It also occurred to me that when I called my wife an achievement whore in public, that I was inviting someone to punch me in the face. I may have also said that I was whoring for rep in Northrend, which probably reflected poorly on me to the casual listener.
None of us actually get PAID for earning achievements or rep (although you may get gold along with it), so perhaps "achievement slut" would be more appropriate. *I think I found my new title*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
And when I say we had a "wow orgy" people look at me funny.
You don't get enough of that stuff in SL?

P2
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Oh great, now I'm going to have to take a picture of my Undead girl and make her my avatar. Maybe I'll wear my swanky new Lunar Festival dress. Go get a new haircut at the Undercity barber.
Oryx Tempel is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
Are tee eff im! Rawful!

Good instructions, however. It took Mulch lecturing me on the role of a healer (in my early days as a Shaman) to get me to stop lobbing in a Flame Shock or Frost Shock or Lightning Bolt now and then.

Finally, I got in touch with my inner DPSer and ditched the Resto spec.

(What would people listening have thought of THAT spiel?)

None of us actually get PAID for earning achievements or rep (although you may get gold along with it), so perhaps "achievement slut" would be more appropriate. *I think I found my new title*

You don't get enough of that stuff in SL?

P2
lol - I'm still learning my place in the group. I use a totally different rotation in a group than when I'm solo questing. Just figuring that out took me a bit. Solo questing, Hunter's mark/Aimed shot will drop just about anything in its tracks, but it takes so damned long to get the Aimed shot off that it's not worth it. The target is half dead before I get my first shot in. So I spam Arcane shot and then cobra or whatever the other one is to restore focus and either double down on kill shot or throw chimera if I've taken damage. That way I get my licks in without waiting for the shot to go off. Some times I add serpent sting for DoT if it's a boss and we have to chop him down.

See? Unintelligble gibberish unless you play WoW.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Matt and I have admitted to each other in the past few days that we miss WoW sometimes. Again. It comes and goes. Right now I'm missing it. But in a few days, I know this will pass again... Meanwhile Matt's downloading Star Trek online, if he gives me the nod, we might move to that. Personally, I was wanting to hold out for Star Wars, but We Shall See.

I don't want to go back to WoW only because I find the escalation of "you must play your toon This Way or else" to be too repressive. Especially after we ran our old guild through Karawhoozits fifty-seven times [until my eyes would roll back in my head][me undead shadow priest who re-specced to heals for the sake of the guild- and then got ditched- Matt OP damage shammy w/ bonus heals] for gear and then got dissed in the end when it was our turn. No more for me, thanks.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Textured Surface

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I feel that way about half the SL-related threads I read now.
Textured Surface is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Matt and I have admitted to each other in the past few days that we miss WoW sometimes. Again. It comes and goes. Right now I'm missing it. But in a few days, I know this will pass again... Meanwhile Matt's downloading Star Trek online, if he gives me the nod, we might move to that. Personally, I was wanting to hold out for Star Wars, but We Shall See.

I don't want to go back to WoW only because I find the escalation of "you must play your toon This Way or else" to be too repressive. Especially after we ran our old guild through Karawhoozits fifty-seven times [until my eyes would roll back in my head][me undead shadow priest who re-specced to heals for the sake of the guild- and then got ditched- Matt OP damage shammy w/ bonus heals] for gear and then got dissed in the end when it was our turn. No more for me, thanks.
Missing Image could care less how you play your character. Just the other night a bunch of us were in the hot tubs just north of Ogrimmar, drinking frosty alcoholic beverages in our undies. Orcs in underwear is funny. And nobody cares that I''m in it for the achievements, or that we have goofy convos most of the time.
Oryx Tempel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
Missing Image could care less how you play your character. Just the other night a bunch of us were in the hot tubs just north of Ogrimmar, drinking frosty alcoholic beverages in our undies. Orcs in underwear is funny. And nobody cares that I''m in it for the achievements, or that we have goofy convos most of the time.
It's more of a loincloth than undies, and it was only for the ladies' sakes. Usually Troutmandoo goes commando.

But yeah - what she said. Nobody cares how you play your toon. I just have fun and screw around and do whatever makes me happy. When we play as a group, I do my best to dish out maximum damage, but honestly, I don't think I'm very good. Nobody has ever given me any grief about it, though.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
Kavik Brock
n00bing it up in a game

My Mood:

Nearly once a week at work a conversation would come up about WoW.

Now, it's SWTOR, but it all amounts to the same thing: blank stares and comments of 'game nerds.'

Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Do you love SWTOR, Kavik? Just curious...

Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Kavik Brock
n00bing it up in a game

My Mood:

I do. It's an MMO, however, it's a change of scenery and setting. I really like how things work for leveling and the Star Wars theme, it's just fun for me.

Kavik Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks: