Astronomy for Casual Observers
Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1
Default Astronomy for Casual Observers

On the summer solstice, I stood at my back door and marked on the horizon where exactly the sun set. We planted a tree at that site. Did the same for the fall equinox. Today (because yesterday was too foggy) we marked the winter solstice (we think - it was cloudy today!) and will plant a tree there.

Due to my sheer geekitude, I wondered if the angles were the same from equinox to summer as equinox to winter. I got out my trusty transit

and measured the angles. I got some pretty strange numbers (fall to summer was ~45 and fall to winter was ~30). So I geeked out and Googled that shit.

See, for every place on Earth, True West is exactly where the sun sets at both equinoxes. The earth tilts 23.5 degrees every "season" - 23.5 degrees South of True West at winter, and 23.5 degrees North of True West at summer.

But that all changes depending on your latitude. My latitude is 46.56N, so I divide 23.5 by the cosine of 46.56 and get 27.8 degrees. That should be the deviation of the sun for me, from my doorstep, for each solstice from the equinox. That means that either I marked my spots wrong, my transit is wrong, or my math is wrong.

Tomorrow during actual daylight I'm going to go out and remeasure my angles, and try to get a decent sunset marking, since we're only 2 days out from the solstice. Then I'll remark the spring equinox, and next summer I'll do the solstice again.

I love watching the year go by, seeing the sun move across the sky. Somehow it marks my place in the world a little better.

Any suggestions on my methods?

Any cool stuff you're doing?
The following user says thanks:

Old 12-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I swear to God, sometimes it's like being married to Aimee.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
10 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Envoy Costagravas
Travels the world, calmly

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
I swear to God, sometimes it's like being married to Aimee.
If that were the case, and you swore to God, there'd be Hell to pay!

No, wait...
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 12-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

She set a transit up on our back porch to measure the angles of the sunset, then checked her work with an scientific site of some sort. That told her our exact latitude and longitude, then she used a calculator with a whole ton of extra (and, imo, superfluous) buttons to sort out some sort of equation that eventually proved that your shadow is longer in the Winter than it is in the Summer. I'm almost certain that I could have proven this while we were outside with the transit looking at the fence, but my proof wouldn't have included cosines.

Honestly. I have no idea what a cosine is or what it does. I'm absolutely certain it has no practical application in my life.

However, she was awfully cute while she was doing it, and she's incredibly tolerant when I try out arguments on her for trials and hearings, so I completely support this extraordinarily complex method of observing the sunset. In fact, I support it so much that I'm going to go pour her a vodka martini. (ok...that's sort of self-serving, since I'm pouring me one as well, and if I get her tipsy enough, sometimes good things happen in my life. But nonetheless, I still support back yard astronomy)
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Honestly. I have no idea what a cosine is or what it does. I'm absolutely certain it has no practical application in my life.
A cosine is when the bank won't give you a loan on your own so Mom and Dad have to stand good for your mortgage.

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
...lots of stuff I didn't understand... and then....."Any cool stuff you're doing?"

Cooked a nice dinner. It wasn't rocket science.

Or even astronomy.

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 12-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Beware Angry Cale

Old 12-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

In a somewhat parallel realm of thought, I've been reflecting about the purposes behind Mayan pentagonal terraces [in Georgia and elsewhere].

Our short term project of building the ziggurat here at the Little Heap and the longer term project of building the passive-solar-underground-permaculture etc etc place, later on down the road, both have planting terraces involved in the designs- not necessarily pentagons of course, but definitely part of the whole plan.

So I was thinking about the fact that farmers are always pretty practical and do things for a reason, and about those pentagonal terraced planting systems the Mayans built.

I realized that they built them in that shape because every side of the planting structure would get some sun during the course of the day, no matter what time of year it was. This wouldn't happen with a circle or a square- only a pentagon has the angles [72*] that ensure that the sun will reach the plants at some point during the day even on the north side. And the terraced build ensures maximum efficient use of any water toted for purposes of irrigation- the one true application of "trickle-down".

So I'm liking the Mayans right now for a number of reasons, and am messing around with tweaking my underground house designs [in my head, so far] with that in mind.

It cracks me up that you're so scientific about it, Oryx [with the transit, etc] because while I am just happy to "wing it", parts of me can totally relate.

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

It's too bad that our yard is the wrong shape, and that our house is aligned East/West, because I would plant 2 more trees: one each at True North (not Magnetic North) and True South. I just think it would be cool.
Oryx Tempel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

That planting arrangment has the makings of a Sherlock Holmes mystery like The Musgrave Ritual, par example. Have you decided where you'll hide your treasure away from Crowell's Roundhats?
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
That planting arrangment has the makings of a Sherlock Holmes mystery like The Musgrave Ritual, par example. Have you decided where you'll hide your treasure away from Crowell's Roundhats?
I assume next to the dead bodies
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post

Well lessee. We could draw imaginary lines between the trees and a fixed point, like the point at which I observed the sunsets (the back door of the house), then draw a line between the winter tree and the summer tree, giving us a bisected isosceles triangle. Then, by drawing lines between the winter tree and the southern tree, and the summer tree and the northern tree, we create a square. At the intersection of the diagonals (which is also the midpoint of the bisection line), we draw a circle with radius equal to the distance from this main intersection to the intersection of a diagonal with the line from the fixed point to the summer tree. The western most point of this circle will be where we bury the loot. Easy enough, eh? If I drew my map right, it should be roughly 3/4 of the way from the door to the equinox tree.
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 12-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
Well lessee. We could draw imaginary lines between the trees and a fixed point, like the point at which I observed the sunsets (the back door of the house), then draw a line between the winter tree and the summer tree, giving us a bisected isosceles triangle. Then, by drawing lines between the winter tree and the southern tree, and the summer tree and the northern tree, we create a square. At the intersection of the diagonals (which is also the midpoint of the bisection line), we draw a circle with radius equal to the distance from this main intersection to the intersection of a diagonal with the line from the fixed point to the summer tree. The western most point of this circle will be where we bury the loot. Easy enough, eh? If I drew my map right, it should be roughly 3/4 of the way from the door to the equinox tree.
From the sky, our backyard will look like a giant Illuminati symbol. We'll probably have the Knights Templar kicking in our door and beating us to death with the Holy Grail.
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
From the sky, our backyard will look like a giant Illuminati symbol. We'll probably have the Knights Templar kicking in our door and beating us to death with the Holy Grail.
They're going to beat you to death with Mary Magdalene?

P2
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 12-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
It's better than having a piano fall on you, as far as memorable ways to die go.
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)