Banner by GradyE

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Gamer Lobby / Other Worlds > Blue Mars

Well, that is pretty much that then
Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1
Default Well, that is pretty much that then

After an enthusiastic start, my involvement with BM had dropped to "keep an eye on" only mode over the last few months. In a nutshell: I want a platform that can deliver "game-like" interactivity and frame-rates, CryEngine provides that, but AR seemed determined to gut their use of CE inside BM.

Latest AR blog post puts this into perspective I guess.

Quote:
Friday, January 14, 2011
--Jim Sink, CEO

Dear Blue Mars Community,

... Avatar Reality is restructuring in order to concentrate on bringing Blue Mars to portable touch screen devices like the iPhone and iPad. ...

... The focus for the first version of Blue Mars Mobile is avatar style and rankings. The initial versions will allow people to share their Blue Mars avatars through a native iOS application. In the next few months, an app store for clothing, Facebook Connect integration, avatar snapshots, account registration, and character customization will be added. ...

... The first versions of Blue Mars Mobile will be an extension to the PC client but over time, the mobile version will absorb many of the features found in the PC version. With our focus now clearly on mobile, updates to the PC version of the software will likely be restricted to bug fixes for the foreseeable future. With that in mind, we will no longer charge our current City Developers for the monthly city hosting service. The servers will remain online, city updates and uploads will continue, and shop and residence rentals will still function but technical support for the user client will no longer be offered. ...

... As excited as I am for the future of Blue Mars Mobile, I’m equally sad to announce that some of us will not be with Avatar Reality for the next phase of the company. Unfortunately, it wasn’t possible to keep the current team together while building Blue Mars Mobile. Like many of my friends here, today is my last day at Avatar Reality. ...
http://blog.bluemars.com/2011/01/ava...ructuring.html

Some comments from the analogous SLU thread:

Quote:
I see this as a failure of the original direction, to be a business virtual world solution. LL tried and failed at the same thing. And then it is competing against Unity and UDK for the developers of games on iOS, so it's not going to be able to go up against them either. (And CE3 will find its way into the wild in only a couple of months, which certainly will not make life easier for Blue Mars)

So now it's Barbie Dolls for iOS. Guess we'll see how it fares.

(Hypatia Callisto)
Barbie Dolls is pretty much my prediction too. The point about the upcoming free-release of CryEngine3 is well made too IMHO - why develop for a gutted BM, when you can develop for CE3 instead?

Quote:
Clothes, hair, and shoes have been my best sellers. And the vast majority of virtual world accounts are in worlds that are of that type, aimed at teens. I think its a waste to use the CryEngine *only* for barbie dolls, but we definitely will have the best looking ones on the virtual world scene.

(Daniel Ravenest)
Well, I guess Daniel is consistent if nothing else.

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/blu...es-mobile.html

Once again, those of us with an interest in fully-fledged virtual worlds had better hope that LL sticks around, because no one else seems willing to step up to the plate.

As dissappointed as I am by the path BM took, that is of course nothing compared to those who had made substantial investments in the platform, and those who have lost their jobs.
Cale Vinson is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?
The following user offers hugs:

Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

It's a sad end. What do they mean by "mobile"? They're trying to make BM go on smartphones?
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
It's a sad end. What do they mean by "mobile"? They're trying to make BM go on smartphones?
If any of the following comes across as snarky Govi, please forgive me - its not intended as snark, its just my complete ignorance (and I have to confess, complete disinterest), in Apple products, and mobile-phones.

I don't think they mean "smartsphones" in general, I think they mean systems running iOS which would include the iPhone and iPad. I read somewhere else that Android may not be planned "for the future", but don't quote me on that.

And by "BM", I don't think they mean BM as it has existed up to now - an immersive virtual world. I think they mean a greatly stripped down system, basically the minimum required system to support AVs (something like I imagine IMVU is). From the OP/Blog:

Quote:
The focus for the first version of Blue Mars Mobile is avatar style and rankings. The initial versions will allow people to share their Blue Mars avatars through a native iOS application. In the next few months, an app store for clothing, Facebook Connect integration, avatar snapshots, account registration, and character customization will be added.
See? There's nothing there about the "cities" that make up the BM virtual-world, its all very AV-centric. Hence Hypatia's comment about Barbie-Dolls. The only bit about cities in the blog is that they will no longer charge for them, because they're basically no longer supporting them.
2 users say thanks:

Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
Scylla Rhiadra
Deeply Over-emotional

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Vinson View Post
If any of the following comes across as snarky Govi, please forgive me - its not intended as snark, its just my complete ignorance (and I have to confess, complete disinterest), in Apple products, and mobile-phones.

I don't think they mean "smartsphones" in general, I think they mean systems running iOS which would include the iPhone and iPad. I read somewhere else that Android may not be planned "for the future", but don't quote me on that.

And by "BM", I don't think they mean BM as it has existed up to now - an immersive virtual world. I think they mean a greatly stripped down system, basically the minimum required system to support AVs (something like I imagine IMVU is). From the OP/Blog:

See? There's nothing there about the "cities" that make up the BM virtual-world, its all very AV-centric. Hence Hypatia's comment about Barbie-Dolls. The only bit about cities in the blog is that they will no longer charge for them, because they're basically no longer supporting them.
Wow. This is a depressing turn around.

My faith in BM was never very high. It just seemed too corporate, and I didn't like the way that creation tools seemed to be less accessible to most users.

But I was expecting that, at the least, it would deliver a high-quality experience. It now looks as though that is not the case.

I can imagine that there are some very unhappy people who gambled by involvement with the project. I wonder how Desmond feels about New Caledon now?
Scylla Rhiadra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 AM   #5
Envoy Costagravas
Travels the world, calmly

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Ouch.

Fortunately, the only thing I ever created was a fanfare for New Caledonia. I have no idea if Des ever used it, since I've never had a computer that could run Blue Mars.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Angela Talamasca / VR Hacks was one of the big city developers in BM, and was particularly active in the scripting discussions on the developer forums.

She has made a audio-only recording of the in-world meeting discussing the "restructure" available at: http://blog.vrhacks.net/?p=231.

My notes on Jim Sink's comments, from memory:
  1. The importance of getting into the rapidly growing tablet/phone market was heavily stressed.
  2. I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but Jim did indeed say that the public interest in what I'd call "fully fledged" virtual worlds had peaked some time ago, and the primary interest was now in Avatars. (Confirms the "Barbie Doll" theory.)
  3. Android wasn't confirmed, but did does seem to have a fair importance attached to it.
  4. It was confirmed that BM Mobile was a *native* iOS application. (There'd been some discussion elsewhere as to whether it used DirectX via cloud-rendering.)
  5. As far as I can see, the BM Mobile engine is completely new. OpenGL was explictly listed as the rendering engine, CryEngine is DirectX only.
  6. Its a real back-to-square-one for them. For BM Mobile they're talking about getting Avatars going first, then sharing AVs, then having avatars that other users can see and interact with. Only then will they even get to the issue of what Jim referred to as the "environment".
  7. BM Mobile environments (when they finally appear) will be much smaller than current BM cities. Jim suggest that first versions would likely just be rooms you could customise with furniture, etc. ("Lively" anyone?)

To be honest, at this point I don't know why they're calling it "BM". I wouldn't have thought the "brand" had that much value to it, they've (apparently) ditched the engine, and have changed space completely from cutting-edge graphics capability on high-end PCs to mediocre graphics capability on relatively weak computing hardware.

I also don't know what value they think they're providing. An OpenGL application that can render ten avatars walking around in a few rooms is not setting the programming bar very high. Its probably been done already, but if not, I'm starting to think there might be money to be made for some start-up that provides a secure, easy to use, micro-transaction system (and nothing else) - that's the only value that I currently see BM Mobile providing.

Added in Edit:

Well, OK, *two* value things for my hypothical start-up: micro-transactions, *and* a secure distributed asset system (if the latter is even possible).

Last edited by Cale Vinson; 01-15-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Because I've been doing too much ranting and not enough thinking. Probably still am ....
The following user says thanks:

Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

Rez Date: Nov 03, 2007
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Awards Showcase
Cuter Than Thou 5k trainwreck 

The urge to pull an Anne-Otoole-esque "I told you so!" is quite overbearing. =^-^=
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

One of the things to which I'd been looking forward, when I put together my new computer, was trying Blue Mars. It's hard for a company to fight its balance sheet, and if the customers are not there to give that sheet any hope of balance, I can't fault a company for changing their emphasis in order to survive. However, I am disappointed.

Thanks, Cale, that explained "mobile" very well. It does sound like IMVU, which I tried when it was new and was extremely disappointed in it. BM moving to such a thing is disappointing and makes pretty clear that they have lost their ability to imagine a new business.
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 01-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Lecktor Hannibal
Give A Damn Offline

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Lecktor Hannibal Send a message via Skype™ to Lecktor Hannibal
Awards Showcase
28th 

Hoo boy, I hope Des hasn't sunk a lot of financial investment in this.

Leck®

The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell.

Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love.

There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.

The Portable Atheist ~ Christopher Hitchens
Lecktor Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecktor Hannibal View Post
Hoo boy, I hope Des hasn't sunk a lot of financial investment in this.
I can't remember whether Des' two BM worlds were "villages" (50 users, $275 a month), or "cities" (250 users, $1000 a month). Even a village, over the course of a year or so, is not exactly small change. He did have renters to offset some of the costs, I'm not sure what percentage of the total cost they covered (and it wouldn't be appropriate to discuss that here even if I knew).

Its possible that many of the renters are in better shape than the city-devs. Many of the early-adopter renters were "fashion" content developers, and that content will be in demand *if* BM Mobile were to take off. AR is running the line that "hey, the cities and the BM SDK haven't gone away, you can still use them!", but that's disingenuous BS. Everyone, even Daniel Bloody Ravenest , knew that BM as it was was not yet ready for public consumption - if you were there, you were there for the *potential* (which, at the technical level, was a damn sight higher than SL IMHO), not what had been delivered thus far.

Its not all about the $ in any case. I'm on the Caledonia email-list, and I shudder to think how many hours Des has put into Caledonia over the last couple of years. That goes for a number of the other city developers too.
2 users say thanks:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 01-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

So, the BM is moving to the iPad? I guess it's fitting, since both have to do with products, or events, that concern a bathroom.

I know, the humor is juvenile, but really... all I can think of is bowel movements and even though iPad has moved past most of the jokes, it's still a "pad" where a "BM" is going to be featured. Ew.
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #12
Monna
soulless cunt

Rez Date: Mar 03, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Monna
Awards Showcase
Bimbo 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
It's hard for a company to fight its balance sheet, and if the customers are not there to give that sheet any hope of balance, I can't fault a company for changing their emphasis in order to survive. However, I am disappointed.

BM joins the long list.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

You know, I know it sounds almost blasphemous these days, but I think that says something for Linden Lab. They may get a lot of things wrong, but apparently they get a fairly decent caliber of things right. If it's taking so long for a serious competitor to arise for SL, it must be a more significant accomplishment than many give them credit for.

/buttkiss
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #14
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy View Post
You know, I know it sounds almost blasphemous these days, but I think that says something for Linden Lab. They may get a lot of things wrong, but apparently they get a fairly decent caliber of things right. If it's taking so long for a serious competitor to arise for SL, it must be a more significant accomplishment than many give them credit for.

/buttkiss
Agreed.

One of the reason I had hopes for BM, for the sorts of projects I'm particularly interested in, was that, in some respects, they were *not* trying to jump a bar as high as LL set themselves. To take one example, LL is still working away, trying to solve the sim-crossing issue (see their recent blog). AR just said "sod it, we'll just have completely separate worlds". Which I suspect is a good practical solution, but I won't ever knock people for "aiming high".

All that said, there may also be a timing issue. If SL had been spinning up a year before the GFC, I wonder what its fate might have been? If I remember the stories the old-timers tell me , its not as though SL's initial development was 100% strategically focussed (I seem to recall an early emphasis on combat?), and it took, what?, 5-6 years to develop much of the current capability.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Lecktor Hannibal
Give A Damn Offline

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Lecktor Hannibal Send a message via Skype™ to Lecktor Hannibal
Awards Showcase
28th 

Ahh yes the golden days of terraforming via bombing raids. My eyes, something in them ...
Lecktor Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user offers hugs:

Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Spaceman Opus
Aquakosher

Rez Date: May 13, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Spaceman Opus
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Good times...

Spaceman Opus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

War in Jessie, is it upon us?
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?: