Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > Classifieds > Products

Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #81
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Today I took a day off from dogs [no offense, Johnny! ] and got after the beginnings of my Cow Series. It's called that because I'm going to have to use cows instead of people as placeholders, and have been duly sketching them since last year to get the anatomy down. So today I did this study in colored pencils while Matt mowed the Lost Springs graveyard. Will probably do a little bit more to it [sharpen a few things, add a few small movements, colors], but thought it's shaping up nicely already [14" x 11.5", on acid-free bristol plate, today]. I usually sell these for about $75 [and make prints, etc for cheap, as well].

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #82
kita_dawg
The sand in Mulch's vag

Awards Showcase
No Fear 
Total Awards: 1

For my own reference, what is the process you go through to make prints? Do you take the pictures yourself? Do you send the piece somewhere to get scanned? Do you have a local hookup for getting it digitized? I used the large format scanner at the university while I was a student, but it had a limited thickness it would accept, so no canvases could be put in there. I am not really sure what the proper way to get my paintings digitized would be...
kita_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #83
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kita_dawg View Post
For my own reference, what is the process you go through to make prints? Do you take the pictures yourself? Do you send the piece somewhere to get scanned? Do you have a local hookup for getting it digitized? I used the large format scanner at the university while I was a student, but it had a limited thickness it would accept, so no canvases could be put in there. I am not really sure what the proper way to get my paintings digitized would be...
The thing about prints is, you pay for them, and then you sit on the stock, and sometimes you sell it. It's a dicey proposition with an up-front investment.

Back in the day, before I got sick and stopped trying, I had a photog friend of mine take my Very Serious [slides, transparencies, etc for galleries, publishers, etc] photos. We had an awesome barter situation [and I was very fortunate in my friends- she used to work w/ Richard Avedon, among many others].

Transparencies became giclees from time to time, which sometimes sold but often became damaged by careless exes and/or tossed- talk about loss!

But for the most part I did my own little 8"x 10" color prints on good glossy paper stock [+/- $30 a package] on my trusty [good] inkjet printer [with the clear information that that's all they were attached].

People who were into my work but couldn't afford original paintings could buy them at shows, etc. for $10 or $15, depending on my mood or the venue, and it would pay my overhead for the shows and buy some canvasses too.

Not to mention being a great way to cement a relationship with a client.

I'd hand them my business card at the show, but beforehand when I packaged them up I'd also put a contact card + "payment plans available" in with the print, on the back side of the cardboard backer, inside the poly bag.

Kind of this way, seen on edge:

polybag_______________________________

print__________________________________

cardboard______________________________

info card_______________________________

polybag________________________________

After having lived with those little prints, people would usually turn around and buy an original, even if only a drawing. It wasn't art publishing so much as low-rent promotion- but it worked for me.

The giclees didn't move. That said, I know a lot of my friends were on the giclee bandwagon for a good while. Theirs, also, didn't move. I think people will tend to go to a mall poster store for a print before they'll go to an artist or a proper gallery. But then again, the internet is a boomtown, so who knows?

I'd gauge the responses to the work over a broad spectrum of viewers before I invested in any prints, now, and even then I'd do a small batch at a time and make them available on a limited basis at shows. If I were doing the shows again. Which I'm not. Yet. Maybe later? dunno.

The thing to remember about showing is that you're essentially creating a live commercial. You're advertising, in person, at a venue- and if you're not good at "glad-handing" and talking to people, you will need a surrogate to do it for you.

There is also no guarantee anybody will buy anything there at the venue. And you may not hear a thing from any of your viewers for up to months after the show- but if it's a good show and you're good at making people take home your brochure, biz card, postcards, and/or prints, you might well sell some originals later on, having cultivated some fans.

And painting on the street/ in the woods is another fantastic way to do that- if you decide to start working en plein air, put some biz cards in your paintbox and hand them out to anybody who stops to talk to you. AND! be friendly and talk to everybody [I learned to "hear the silence in the singing of the birds" and/or the rumbling of the trucks and honking of the horns].

I've sold hundreds of paintings and drawings that way- and all it took was 1/10th of a sheet of cardstock with a photo of one of my paintings on one side and my info on the other.

But if you want to reproduce your goodies, I'd go with a high-quality photo [I hear you know somebody who might be willing to take it out in trade?] and a giclee. But seriously, research your markets. And if you have a following, it's worth it. If not, work on the following first, then research their preferences [I've even put together polls and figured out my most popular pieces], THEN figure out how much exposure you can create for those prints, THEN actually make them. Otherwise, you'll wind up sitting on expensive stock that you can't move, and entropy will waste that investment.

two cents, etc.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #84
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

PS re. Cows- here's my website page on the subject. Have to get this new piece up there, and get bigger/better images attached too.

http://www.jenhath.com/Cows.html

Old 06-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #85
Ayu Sura

Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Today I took a day off from dogs [no offense, Johnny! ] and got after the beginnings of my Cow Series. It's called that because I'm going to have to use cows instead of people as placeholders, and have been duly sketching them since last year to get the anatomy down. So today I did this study in colored pencils while Matt mowed the Lost Springs graveyard. Will probably do a little bit more to it [sharpen a few things, add a few small movements, colors], but thought it's shaping up nicely already [14" x 11.5", on acid-free bristol plate, today]. I usually sell these for about $75 [and make prints, etc for cheap, as well].

<3 - color pencil love!!!

My favorite tarot deck is done in color pencil
You are coated with an Encrusted Foul-Smelling, Sparkly Substance.

- excerpt from You Awaken in Razor Hill
Ayu Sura is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #86
Ayu Sura

Awards Showcase

Just saw a link to someone's advice on how to create a successful kickstarter campaign - I didn't really look through it but maybe it'll be helpful:

http://garrettgibbons.com/blog/succe...rter-campaigns
2 users say thanks:

Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #87
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Ayu, I put up a kickstarter campaign for my paintings and did rather poorly. At this point it seems like another way to disperse my energies rather than getting after the project I want to do. But I appreciate you taking the time to bring it up, and I'm sure others could accomplish much more with it than I did.
The following user offers hugs:

Old 06-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #88
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

The final piece. Will be shipping it out tomorrow. [there is some additional invisible-for-now mojo attendant, as well, hence the delay...]

9 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
2 users say thanks:

Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #89
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

PS

Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #90
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

*boing*

*boing*

*boing*
*boing*

*boing*

Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #91
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

PS That colored pencil piece sold the day after I posted it here. Went to a fan in Georgia.

So now I have to come up w/ some more of those little pieces, so I have something to show locally.

Go figger.
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #92
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Part of shipping a painting is building your own custom box.

I reinforced the box-bottom w/ some extra cardboard. Hot glue guns are our friends, btw. The box is held together w/ hot glue plus packing tape. Is also an inch or so bigger in every direction so the edges won't get banged up. And bubble wrap in front of the face so that it won't get cracked.

Me: A little frazzled and hot-glue-gunned up. Not to mention I hate having my picture taken.

Box: Ready to roll.

Johnny, it should be there on Thursday or Friday, so keep an eye out.

Last edited by Jen; 06-21-2011 at 04:37 PM.
6 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #93
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I just LOVE your pictures of things in work! I love these packaging pictures.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #94
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
5 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
2 users say thanks:
3 users have offered hugs:

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #95
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Awwww! That's wonderful!
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #96
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

2 users have offered hugs:

Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #97
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

AWESOME!!!

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 03:47 AM   #98
kita_dawg
The sand in Mulch's vag

Awards Showcase
No Fear 

kita_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #99
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Now I have to figure out how to hang it. Not an easy task from a wheelchair :/
2 users have offered hugs:

Old 06-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #100
Ayu Sura

Awards Showcase

oooh... that makes me want one... but i've no idea what I'd want you to paint Jen!
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #101
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
Now I have to figure out how to hang it. Not an easy task from a wheelchair :/
Simple.

Pick up phone.

Call Mulch

Ask him to help.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #102
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Simple.

Pick up phone.

Call Mulch

Ask him to help.
That, or send me a r-t bus ticket and give me a spot to sleep on the floor when I'm done.

Speaking of hanging it, I realized after it was sent that I didn't wire it for you. Would you like me to mail you the eyebolts, etc? I'm pretty sure I still have some in a box somewhere around here...

Old 06-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #103
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Just came across this whilst attempting [again] to sort the mess in my art-room. Inner Realm, a zine in Westchester, used one of my portraits as their cover once. Unfortunately, they stretched the piece and made the poor kid look twice as wide as she is, and this old cover has faded significantly.

Here's the cover with the painting more or less intact. The problem being that in the throes of splitting from my ex-, I lost a great many records of previous work [like, hundreds, I think]. I just happened to come across this old zine-copy today. The subject is a young girl named Dylan, who loved her red rubber ball, and was a delight in general [as is her moms]. I cannot to this day understand why they would both stretch the image AND crop the edges, but there ya go, it was a zine.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #104
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I mean, hell, they cut off her adorable little FEET! With those toes that I SLAVED over!
5 users have offered hugs:

Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #105
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I was asked to do some window paintings on the old Cafe building to spruce it up for the Fourth.

The "theme" that some in town like to build their celebrations around is "Redneck in Ramona". I'm not completely comfortable w/ all that, having so many friends who would definitely not fit the redneck archetype, but I was able to manage a bucolic/red-white-blue kind of thing that answered the call without being too weirdly KKK-ish...

Mind you, I grew up in some quasi- "rednecky" turf, back before Rhinebeck became such a boutiquey town there were mornings where the black angus were blocking the one red-light intersection in town on our way to school in the mornings. And I worked on cow [and horse] farms back then, too. And there were more than a few people in plaid shirts and jeans running around as well. Kansans tend to be shocked that I know how to do things like clean my own fish and properly cook a venison roast... but NY is NOT all skyscrapers and asphalt. Yet.

The whole shebang.

Jess drove by whilst I was in the midst and asked me to add a few flourishes to the barbershop as well. So I did...

Designing it took about an hour of cut'n'paste on the puter, painting it took maybe another hour. Probably less.

I was going to do rocket-booster cows exploding in the sky and a few other things [after talking to Sans and P2] but decided to be gentle... This was a couple of days ago, just got around to uploading the photos Matt took.
7 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
2 users say thanks:

Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #106
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

I this thread.

Just felt compelled to say that, please carry on ........
Cale Vinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #107
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Ok, I've heard that the long a painting hangs in the White House the more it's value goes up. Any idea how to get this in there?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #108
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

"Winter Trees on the Durham Road"
[part of the "Cow" series I'm working on]
oils, 24"x24", 6/29/2011.

I'm not absolutely certain I'm done just yet. Close, though. Also, the paint's still wet, so lots of reflections in the photo, but you get the idea, I'm sure. Better photo soonish. I will probably ask $400 for this, it's shaping up to be a good one.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #109
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

"Redneck in Ramona"

Has anyone talked to Monna about this?!?
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #110
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

DON'T....! Please!...

Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #111
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

So Jess was so happy w/ the cafe paintings [which she originally didn't want me to do] that she asked me to also do the barbershop. So I did that too. Then she came by a few days ago and asked- if I happened to have any time- if I'd do the old bank building as well. So I did.

[+/- 30 minutes for both... this time I was just doodling, so I didn't block them out properly]
3 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #112
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Busy busy! Tomorrow is the Fourth, and I'm spending a good part of my birthday printing up notecards. I pack them up four to a bag [with envelopes] for $5. People like to buy them at these little festival-type things- and they keep me in paint!

I have six of the cow series pieces committed to cardstock...

L-R: "Cottonwood", "Winter Trees on the Durham Road", "Barbershop".

L-R: "June Third Lost Springs", "Cow", "Field Study".

I'll also put out a few packs of the old waterfall pieces I happen to have laying around. Perhaps they'll sell too.
4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #113
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Ramona, KS
- By Jen Hathaway

Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #114
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Tired of wrestling with tight little abstract street scenes that are past the point of redemption, I decided to play with my charcoals for the cow series. This is a lovely heifer I met on a hilltop west of Ramona. 20"wx 18"h, 6/08/11, charcoals on acid-free paper. $100

Old 07-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #115
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I LOVE the winter trees one.

I LOVE the notecards. I love the heifer.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the store windows!

Your life is blessed to live in this small town and be able to participate in it as you do (and by be able, I mean you have the sort of personality which makes you able to be naturally a part of things), and to have and celebrate this sort of Americana.

You have a most wonderful life. All of your own making.

And a wonderful talent.
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #116
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Gator piece I'm working on...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #117
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Jen, that is decidedly NOT a cow

Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #118
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #119
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

See how little YOU know. The cow is HIDDEN in that one.
5 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #120
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Gator piece I'm working on...

Quote:
Quote:
See how little YOU know. The cow is HIDDEN in that one.
The cow is inside. The gator ate it.

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote