Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Mainland: Second Life® > Fashion and Shopping

Avoid Shoe Fair this year-- they're logging your personal data
Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Charlemagne Allen
Vicious Asshole Owl-thing

Rez Date: Feb 18, 2007
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1
Default Avoid Shoe Fair this year-- they're logging your personal data

It's been confirmed by one vendor I know -- they will be using Copybot detection system, the kind that logs the IP address and client data of everyone who comes into the sim. I'm personally not going to go now, and just will continue to support the stores of creators I know.

"I always notice. I just don't care."- Gabe Lippman

"With squirting Batman dicks and god knows what all!"- Coconut Koala

"I don't actually have any desire to fuck sushi."- Io Zeno

Mein Foto:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlemagneallen/

Charlemagne Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:
4 users say thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Coyote
Unregistered's Worst Enemy

Oh, nice.
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Rez Date: Nov 16, 2006

no clue but since i have never been it shall not be any hardship

http://talonfaire.blogspot.com/
Amaranthim Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Shoe Fair, yup right at the top of list of must see things.
I think that is just below visiting the gor sims and having my teeth pulled

Someday,some one has to explain this obsession about fashion in SL to me

Are people born wicked or do they have wickedness thrust upon them? -- Galinda The Good.

"I don't have low self esteem, I have low esteem for others"--Daria Morgendorffer
Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Sansarya
Just Sans

Rez Date:
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

I buy a lot of shoes in SL, but I really only wear Shiny Things and Maitreya on a regular basis.
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Lain (is Bams)
For-uhm Boredz Creator

Rez Date: Sep 23, 2007
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I don't go to any type of fair generally because they are full of nitwits that have 15,000 sculpties on when the sim is packed full of avatars. If I really need to save a few lindens that bad I'll go barefoot and bald.

Lain (is Bams) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
Bunnie
making Unregistered a sammich!

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Never been, why start now?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

Rez Date: Nov 03, 2007
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Awards Showcase
Cuter Than Thou 5k trainwreck 

They're running CDS... It's the same anti-copybot security orb most big stores use. (=_=)
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotgoing Sideways View Post
They're running CDS... It's the same anti-copybot security orb most big stores use. (=_=)
Glad I do most of my shopping via the web

Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
GradyE
Hybrid Angel

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck The GradyE 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie View Post
Shoe Fair, yup right at the top of list of must see things.
I think that is just below visiting the gor sims and having my teeth pulled

Someday,some one has to explain this obsession about fashion in SL to me
The answer is here.
GradyE is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 08-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
Sansarya
Just Sans

Rez Date:
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Damn! I spoke too soon. Tya's new (incredibly gorgeous) shoes are available only at Shoe Fair

(and I do wear Tya's shoes--boots, actually--as much as I wear the Maitreya and Shiny Things)
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Awards Showcase

I really don't get it. What are you all doing that you're so afraid of your typically dynamic IP address getting matched to your typically anonymous avatar name? (O.o)

Are people here running from the FBI or something? (o.O)

We hand our online information out on a silver platter every day, but, this one little detail gets scrutinized as if they've reached a hand into your pants pocket and wiggled a finger. (=_=)

CDS matches avatar name to IP address IF, and only IF, you auto-enable media... So what? (=_=)

It's not the event hosts logging anything. It's just the CDS database comparing AV names and IPs in order to ban people who have been caught using copybot clients in the past. (=_=)

Really, this paranoia is lost on me. (=_=)

I, for one, will go tomorrow and frigg'n buy some shoes simply so that the charity gets their fraction of a penny from the sale. I'm already on the CDS database anyway. Whoop-dee-s***. (=_=)y

Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne Allen View Post
It's been confirmed by one vendor I know -- they will be using Copybot detection system, the kind that logs the IP address and client data of everyone who comes into the sim. I'm personally not going to go now, and just will continue to support the stores of creators I know.
I could have this completely wrong, so no one should rely on this statement, but I *thought* that the various "copybot detection" systems scams picked up your IP when you downloaded media, and hence were rendered useless if in your client you had all media turned off.

If so, it may be possible to attend "safely", if one wanted to.

Of course, people may well decide not to attend anyway, as a protest against this (attempted) intrusion. FWIW, I fall into that category (and hence appreciate the heads-up Chaz. )
Cale Vinson is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #14
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Vinson View Post
I could have this completely wrong, so no one should rely on this statement, but I *thought* that the various "copybot detection" systems scams picked up your IP when you downloaded media, and hence were rendered useless if in your client you had all media turned off.

If so, it may be possible to attend "safely", if one wanted to.

Of course, people may well decide not to attend anyway, as a protest against this (attempted) intrusion. FWIW, I fall into that category (and hence appreciate the heads-up Chaz. )
I don't care about the IP adress thing. I feel pretty confident we are protected.

What bothers me about this CDS thing is the presumption of guilty until proven innocent.
You hope the script monkey who coded the thing knows his business
Or your name is black listed across the world.

I personally believe any content creator is a jack ass for using it.

7 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #15
Lain (is Bams)
For-uhm Boredz Creator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I'm not usually one to agree with Immy, but basically, it's very difficult to do much with your IP address. Even very technically skilled people can only get so far without writs and warrants handed down from Federal judges to circumvent privacy laws.

On the off chance some hacker with the skill to actually use your IP address to track down your location decided to give a shit about you, then I can almost say with 100% certainty that your shoe shopping in Second Life will be the least of your issues.

Keep in mind that even for someone with no scruples, this would entail leveling a very honed set of highly specialized skills at the task of rooting you out for a lol or whatever. Someone with skills like that is making money doing something bigger.

THAT being said.... I wouldn't go out of principle. Logging peoples information of any kind is a subversive process and reeks of bad security practices. If someone is that paranoid I'm going to be stealing their shoes then I don't want them on my feet anyhow. Who's to say that crazy freak won't see me in world and accuse me of stealing them anyhow?

So fuck those sculptard paranoid fruits. I think they should switch their strain because the one they're smoking has their alert level's on overload.

7 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #16
Kavik Brock
n00bing it up in a game

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
Damn! I spoke too soon. Tya's new (incredibly gorgeous) shoes are available only at Shoe Fair

(and I do wear Tya's shoes--boots, actually--as much as I wear the Maitreya and Shiny Things)
One of the great things about knowing Tya, is that you can usually work something out with her if you just drop her a message or notecard.

Never hurts to check with her.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #17
Sansarya
Just Sans

Rez Date:
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

There's enough info out there about me and P2 anyone could find us, but we're just that boring that nobody would want to probably I'm just too broke to go to Shoe Fair and like someone said, dealing with 100 avatars wearing 15000 sculpties and scripted attachments isn't fun.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #18
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
There's enough info out there about me and P2 anyone could find us, but we're just that boring that nobody would want to probably
Not to mention that our IP addresses resolve to a city that is actually 120 miles from where we really live. The joys of rural telephone co-ops!

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #19
Lain (is Bams)
For-uhm Boredz Creator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
Not to mention that our IP addresses resolve to a city that is actually 120 miles from where we really live. The joys of rural telephone co-ops!

P2
It's not just the rural places anymore. Since fiber started being deployed cable runs are much longer now. Comcast started backhauling our residential lines to Portland when they went live with VoIP.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
Fatz
Shitter's Full

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Fatz
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

There are ways of logically establishing the xyz of an IP address based on network latency. The NSA patented a method awhile back and the music industry was hot for the technology several years ago for obvious reasons.

But this is SL--not international espionage. I've no doubt with the over-inflated sense of self-importance from "that" group of fashionistas out there they're certain they're being watched for the latest new fashion accessory though.

A few years ago there was a person bitching about the way she was treated because she was 'an SL celebrity". Poor girl had completely lost touch with reality. Of course no one ever heard of her before. I wonder what happened to her.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -KFM

Plurk, AvatarsUnited, TeamFortress2.
Fatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #21
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatz View Post
...A few years ago there was a person bitching about the way she was treated because she was 'an SL celebrity". Poor girl had completely lost touch with reality. Of course no one ever heard of her before. I wonder what happened to her.
Hooters and real estate. (^_^)y

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
Weston Graves
Werebeagle

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I am a nitwit made of 15000 sculpties, and I feel like going now even though I don't wear shoes.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #23
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bams View Post
On the off chance some hacker with the skill to actually use your IP address to track down your location decided to give a shit about you, then I can almost say with 100% certainty that your shoe shopping in Second Life will be the least of your issues.
Bams, as I cheerfully tell everyone - by the standards of these forums, I know sod-all about the details of this new-fangled-inner-tubz-web-thingee. So, the following could be complete and utter crap, but let me try it out on you, and you can tell me where it goes wrong.

The issue is not necessarily that someone will use your IP to track down your physical location. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if you have someone's IP address, there is the possibility of making life difficult for the computer at that address. Maybe attempting to overload it with ping requests or something along those lines. *If* that's the case, then the scenario I'd want to avoid is:

a) Banning griefer Joe Schmuck from my land for being, well, a schmuck

b) Joe launching an IP-based attack on my PC just to annoy me in retaliation.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #24
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

I went to ONLY get Tya's shoes there, as I wanted to be able to make the charity donation to soles4souls. I couldn't be bothered walking around to anything else. I stood at the entry point and shouted out if anyone knew where it was and 4 people offered me a TP immediately.

I also could care less if they are logging my avatar when I come in. If they have nothing better to do than track me down out of all the others that come in there, have at it. They just better bring pie to my doorstep when they arrive

BTW - the Tya's shoes are great. The HUD is probably the best I've used. Has numerous settings to match many skins, more than most and if yours isn't there and you send her the name she'll find out the correct setting for you. Plus, you get a manicure set dropped on you afterwards. I've always been annoyed at other shoe makers HUDS, I can never get them to match up well enough but I'm rather pleased with the final effect of these.

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:

Old 08-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #25
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Bams, as I cheerfully tell everyone - by the standards of these forums, I know sod-all about the details of this new-fangled-inner-tubz-web-thingee. So, the following could be complete and utter crap, but let me try it out on you, and you can tell me where it goes wrong.

The issue is not necessarily that someone will use your IP to track down your physical location. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if you have someone's IP address, there is the possibility of making life difficult for the computer at that address. Maybe attempting to overload it with ping requests or something along those lines. *If* that's the case, then the scenario I'd want to avoid is:

a) Banning griefer Joe Schmuck from my land for being, well, a schmuck

b) Joe launching an IP-based attack on my PC just to annoy me in retaliation.
With that mentality: If you saw how many places receive your IP address, log it, and run metrics off of it from a single web page, you'd never open a browser again. (=_=)

Getting your IP in SL/CDS is a raindrop in the ocean compared to the real possibilities. (=_=)y

Old 08-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #26
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elora Lunasea View Post
I went to ONLY get Tya's shoes there, as I wanted to be able to make the charity donation to soles4souls. I couldn't be bothered walking around to anything else. I stood at the entry point and shouted out if anyone knew where it was and 4 people offered me a TP immediately.

I also could care less if they are logging my avatar when I come in. If they have nothing better to do than track me down out of all the others that come in there, have at it. They just better bring pie to my doorstep when they arrive

BTW - the Tya's shoes are great. The HUD is probably the best I've used. Has numerous settings to match many skins, more than most and if yours isn't there and you send her the name she'll find out the correct setting for you. Plus, you get a manicure set dropped on you afterwards. I've always been annoyed at other shoe makers HUDS, I can never get them to match up well enough but I'm rather pleased with the final effect of these.

No pair of shoes is worth being treated like a criminal.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
No pair of shoes is worth being treated like a criminal.
I'm sure you'll remember this when you walk through the giant coils at the door and wait patiently while the sales clerk removes the ink-splashing anti-theft tag. (^_^)y

Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #28
Carthalis
Kipple busting

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
I really don't get it. What are you all doing that you're so afraid of your typically dynamic IP address getting matched to your typically anonymous avatar name? (O.o)

Are people here running from the FBI or something? (o.O)

We hand our online information out on a silver platter every day, but, this one little detail gets scrutinized as if they've reached a hand into your pants pocket and wiggled a finger. (=_=)

CDS matches avatar name to IP address IF, and only IF, you auto-enable media... So what? (=_=)

It's not the event hosts logging anything. It's just the CDS database comparing AV names and IPs in order to ban people who have been caught using copybot clients in the past. (=_=)

Really, this paranoia is lost on me. (=_=)

I, for one, will go tomorrow and frigg'n buy some shoes simply so that the charity gets their fraction of a penny from the sale. I'm already on the CDS database anyway. Whoop-dee-s***. (=_=)y
Run for the hills I'm agreeing with Immy. But yeah I find it highly amusing that people get so worked up about CDS tracking ip's but quite happily post the minute details of their lives either on plurk or facebook.

And before somebody else says that's easy for you to say living in Insilico and knowing Skills as was already suggested on another forum. I really couldn't care. I'll most probably go along to the shoe fair nearer when it ends and not so laggy.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #29
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthalis View Post
Run for the hills I'm agreeing with Immy. But yeah I find it highly amusing that people get so worked up about CDS tracking ip's but quite happily post the minute details of their lives either on plurk or facebook.
Fair enough Carthalis.

But there's also a non-empty set of people who deliberately choose to keep a low-profile on the net, and don't Plurk, Facebook, etc. I, for one, have long been of the view that when Tolkien wrote "there is evil there, and it does not sleep" he was referring not to Mordor, but his future vision of Plurk.
5 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 08-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #30
Carthalis
Kipple busting

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Fair enough Carthalis.

But there's also a non-empty set of people who deliberately choose to keep a low-profile on the net, and don't Plurk, Facebook, etc. I, for one, have long been of the view that when Tolkien wrote "there is evil there, and it does not sleep" he was referring not to Mordor, but his future vision of Plurk.
I agree there is a lot of people who do keep a low profile. Around 12 years ago when I worked for an isp as a chat and forum moderator and especially when we moved from a java based client chat system over to mirc it was always never give out personal details, phone numbers, addresses, passwords etc. I still hold that to be very true.
Carthalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #31
Coyote

Huge difference between volunteering information with full awareness, and basically having it taken without your awareness (or consent).
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #32
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthalis View Post
I agree there is a lot of people who do keep a low profile. Around 12 years ago when I worked for an isp as a chat and forum moderator and especially when we moved from a java based client chat system over to mirc it was always never give out personal details, phone numbers, addresses, passwords etc. I still hold that to be very true.
True, that. At the same time, the moment you go online, you're connected to ~THE INTERNET~. It's really a go/no-go situation. Your online "you" is already public and grasping at the straws of "IP address privacy" is simply silly. (O.o)

Old 08-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #33
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Huge difference between volunteering information with full awareness, and basically having it taken without your awareness (or consent).
You have connected to the internet. The information about your internet connection has been given out by default. It's a little too late to start attempting to mask it. (^_^)

The information about you is another story. (^_^)y

Old 08-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #34
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm sure you'll remember this when you walk through the giant coils at the door and wait patiently while the sales clerk removes the ink-splashing anti-theft tag. (^_^)y
When I walk out of the door at a real world store and the magnetic detector goes.

The clerk comes over looks at the sales slip and removes the tag. Apologizes for the inconvenience and I go on my way.

The detector does not send out a message to all the other stores in town, inferring I am a nefarious person and
I do not have security baring my entrance to other stores based on the the detector went off on my way out.

Big difference here.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #35
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
When I walk out of the door at a real world store and the magnetic detector goes.

The clerk comes over looks at the sales slip and removes the tag. Apologizes for the inconvenience and I go on my way.

The detector does not send out a message to all the other stores in town, inferring I am a nefarious person and
I do not have security baring my entrance to other stores based on the the detector went off on my way out.

Big difference here.
Not really. CDS does nothing until you show up in a listed Copybot client. Until then, you're under no more scrutiny than any other street-corner CC Camera. And, most places hire security contractors in addition to participating in credit card networks. You think data is NOT shared? (^_^)

If it were this big massive conspiracy between content creators to tag people as thieves by default, I'd never be able to shop... Being I'm already in the database. But, as it is, store owners don't even know who I am. They won't find out until I show up in NeilLife, or whatsoever. (^_^)y

Old 08-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #36
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Not really. CDS does nothing until you show up in a listed Copybot client. Until then, you're under no more scrutiny than any other street-corner CC Camera. And, most places hire security contractors in addition to participating in credit card networks. You think data is NOT shared? (^_^)

If it were this big massive conspiracy between content creators to tag people as thieves by default, I'd never be able to shop... Being I'm already in the database. But, as it is, store owners don't even know who I am. They won't find out until I show up in NeilLife, or whatsoever. (^_^)y

It don't feel right I don't like it. The way it was explained to me that it sniffs out to see if your client is kosher. The creator claims to never had a false positive.
Anyone who claims a device is infallible, should be a red flag to you that it's not.

There is no recourse if you are wrongly branded. The Lindens won't step in.
From what I have observed of content creators. I really doubt any of them would be honest enough to say "Sorry it was a mistake"

Bottom line, it's a situation I just soon avoid.

Slight derail here:

After years of being ripped off by content creators. this is just another nail in the coffin for me, as far as shopping in world.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #37
Coyote

False positives in a shop do not mean you are banned from all shops in that area; false positives in a shop result in an apology, not a bunch of gits telling you that you must have been doing SOMETHING wrong.

As usual, Immy, you are using poor logic when it comes to privacy/authority issues.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
Imnotgoing Sideways
-

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Real life false positives land people in prison for crimes they've never committed. (=_=)

Getting your IP address on yet another database on the internet is as common as breathing. (=_=)

Old 08-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #39
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 08-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #40
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Real life false positives land people in prison for crimes they've never committed. (=_=)

Getting your IP address on yet another database on the internet is as common as breathing. (=_=)
I don't give a rip about the ip address. I refuse to stand about while some script monkey sniffs my panties to see if I am honest enough to buy someones over rated crap.

You can, but I choose not to participate.
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?: