Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Mainland: Second Life® > Content Creation > Texturing Tips

In-world texture organizers?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Kristian

Rez Date: Feb 26, 2005
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2
Default In-world texture organizers?

Barring finding a client that can easily download every damn texture I own (and it's a lot) so i can use iPhoto or Picasa to organize some contact sheets, I'm guessing I should get a texture organizer as I now have found myself reuploading and buying textures I already own. Any favorites? Any you hate?
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
Fatz
Shitter's Full

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Fatz
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

I've got this K. R. Engineering tool that I've had since early 2007. Like my inventory and local drive--it's a mess.

I love the thing though, I just never sat down and organized it properly.
Fatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

funny
I have been thinking of getting one and just grabbed Kinex at 660L I think its actually pretty nice deltes dup's based off of the UUID ... boxes things up for you too ...
dont know if that is a normal thing or not

“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” ― Coco Chanel
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." ― Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Morgaine Alter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
Kristian

Rez Date: Feb 26, 2005
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

The KinEx one is pretty slick, and it handles Sculpties too which I don't think Karsten's does. I grabbed one about an hour ago actually.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Rez Date: Nov 16, 2006

I have a freebie one - works great when i remember to use it- the sculpt one i have was maybe 1 Linden on xstreet- Sculpt Master- huge amt of prims though...

http://talonfaire.blogspot.com/
Amaranthim Talon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
jackalennui
>o< spider power!

My Mood:

Emerald viewer has an "asset viewer" thingy which displays textures but that feature seems to be early alpha. I can't get it to do anything.

As for inworld organizers, I have the K&R one too and it worked well the few times I used it.
jackalennui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

i have lestat's but its old and does not do sculpties i don't think -- actually i never tried but it predates sculpties. but i like it.
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Tya

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Skids Prim , i think what its called. best one i have seem. When you drop sculpts, you get a preview.
You can have several organizers set up and move one set to another organizer with one click.

I can not recommend this enough.
Tya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Rolig
Not as dumb as I look

Try the free one from TRU. It's been around for a while in several upgrades, and it's easy to use.
Rolig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
YOUR MOM
is Lecktor Hannibal

Rez Date: Jul 07, 2004
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to YOUR MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolig View Post
Try the free one from TRU. It's been around for a while in several upgrades, and it's easy to use.

Hey Rolig welcome to and thanks fo the tip! Please upload an avatar and venture over to Ellis Island and say hello and get your proper
Glad to have you here!
YOUR MOM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #11
Menchor Barbosa
Mostly Harmless

Rez Date: Mar 04, 2007
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I have the KUBiC organizers and they work pretty well. I bought their earlier one one they sent me a free upgrade, the earlier one not so good but the upgrade is good. Different sizes for different sized collections.

Baroness Menchor, the Deadly, of the Great Army of the Invincible Infidel, Whose Great Swarms of Evil and Horror Laid Waste to the Souls of a Million True Believers and Left Their Souls Rotting in the Summer Sun for the Buzzards to to Ravish as Their Souls Sunk to the Depths of Torment and Hopelessness, Abandoned by Their Gods. Title by Trout

Last edited by Menchor Barbosa; 02-17-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: typo
Menchor Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Czari
Fiery Redhead

Rez Date: May 01, 2007
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
i have lestat's but its old and does not do sculpties i don't think -- actually i never tried but it predates sculpties. but i like it.
Before I purchased mine a year or so ago, I did a LOT of research; in fact someone on the RA forums had tested out a lot of texture organizers and listed the pros/cons. Based on that and my own research I went with the above as well - Lestats Texture Organizer by Lestat Llewelyn.

Besides my Mysti-tool I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this organizer. One of my favorite features is that it can either be worn as a HUD (the way I use it) and I can choose textures on the fly for classes, etc. or as a stand-alone version. (That takes a lot of prims, but if one had prims to spare, apparently one can designate other people to be able to use that one as well.)

It comes in various "category size" - I have the 50 category, then ran out and purchased a second - and I have yet to find if there is a max size for number of textures in each one.

Other features: search options, ability to pull just one or an entire page of texture (probably a whole category as well), can have the organizer copy an entire category of textures and place in a folder in inventory (good when re-organizing) and one of my favorites - a "dupe kill" feature that will hunt for duplicates, regardless of name, and remove all but one.

As for sculpties, not exactly sure what you mean, but I store sculpty maps in it as well.

Prior to the Lestat, I used the THinC organizers. The small ones are good for a limited number or textures and the larger one for...a larger number. Both need to be rezzed, however, and the ability to wear the Lestat's as a HUD is, to me, invaluable.

ETA: After reading the post above mine, Lestat's offers lifetime upgrades (I'm pretty sure). At any rate, not too long ago I was sent upgrades to mine but I haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet.

In World Shoppe

SL Marketplace

Last edited by Czari; 02-25-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Addition
Czari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Seven
(Actual size shown)

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I use the Imitation of Life texture organizer, and I like it a lot. It's super-easy to use, and you can really load it up.

You can put sculpties in it too, and make as many copies of it as you need.

You can use it as a HUD or rez it like a big wall.

Seven is offline   Reply With Quote