Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Techie Reiki Wiki

I have a massive headache... wireless fun.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Zorena
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Rez Date: Jun 01, 2005
My Mood:
Default I have a massive headache... wireless fun.

A friend gave me her old Trendnet (TEW-432BRP). There was no CD etc but I grabbed that and a manual off the website.
I managed to hook it up and at least get it running. I just let the wizard do everything. It worked fine for a few hours then my innarwebs went dead. I looked at my network connection. Tried the repair and got a DNS error.

I unplugged the wireless from the cable and jacked it directly back into my modem.
Then I went to the website and checked for any new dl's etc for said device and found a firmware update. DL'd that and unzipped, read the documentation. The website said never to run firmware through the wireless but the document said you have to update it via the login on the wireless. ARGGGGHHHH.

I plugged the wireless in this morning and lo and behold it's working again. So I decide to follow the documentation and try to upgrade. It all locked up and failed and I'm back to being plugged directly in.

My head hurts.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Zorena

My Mood:

I suppose I should ask if anyone knows why it would quit and give me errors but fire up just fine the next day and maybe if I need to do anything special when setting it up.
Zorena is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Redhead
Pure Acetylene Virgin

My Mood:

I'm no expert when it comes to wireless routers but I've fiddled with mine some. Mine has a direct access web page address I can put into my browser that allows me to access it's settings, so maybe check the manual/website for yours and see if there is one for your router and then check the settings. Dunno if that would help, but it's a start.

I know with my router I can set time limits for daily use (for children and such), so maybe the previous owner of yours set one and it's still in there somewhere?
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
I'm no expert when it comes to wireless routers but I've fiddled with mine some. Mine has a direct access web page address I can put into my browser that allows me to access it's settings, so maybe check the manual/website for yours and see if there is one for your router and then check the settings. Dunno if that would help, but it's a start.

I know with my router I can set time limits for daily use (for children and such), so maybe the previous owner of yours set one and it's still in there somewhere?
If it even works now. I know I can't access that that web page without it working.
>.<

I'll try that in a bit , thanks Red.
The following user offers hugs:

Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Vengence Opus
It's all in a day.

My Mood:

As a rule, you should always upgrade/flash a router while plugged into it directly. If you are doing it over wireless, chances are you could have a break in connectivity that will corrupt the install. The chances of this are far less likely if you hard hard wired to a port on the router, which is why this is suggested.

If you can, I would try seeing if you can revert the device back to factory default, then try an upgrade from there. As for the DNS error, there may be the option in the GUI to change the DNS provider. A lot of times, this is pushed to you automatically from your ISP. If this can be changed manually, I'd suggest setting the router to use Google for DNS. (You can use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) This may fix the issues you are having...definitely worth a shot!
Vengence Opus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence Opus View Post
As a rule, you should always upgrade/flash a router while plugged into it directly. If you are doing it over wireless, chances are you could have a break in connectivity that will corrupt the install. The chances of this are far less likely if you hard hard wired to a port on the router, which is why this is suggested.

If you can, I would try seeing if you can revert the device back to factory default, then try an upgrade from there. As for the DNS error, there may be the option in the GUI to change the DNS provider. A lot of times, this is pushed to you automatically from your ISP. If this can be changed manually, I'd suggest setting the router to use Google for DNS. (You can use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) This may fix the issues you are having...definitely worth a shot!
Wooooooosh!

I sort of understand some of that. I don't have a normal router I have a cable modem and this wireless. It has a reset button on it so I could start again.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Vengence Opus
It's all in a day.

My Mood:

Sorry Zor...lemme see if I can clarify...

So, your model has a number of ports on the back...the WAN port where your modem will be connected, and several other ports that will (should) function as auto-sensing switchports. If your laptop/computer has an Ethernet port, connect your laptop to one of the open ports with a physical cable. From here, you should be able to access the web-based setup page. In your browser, enter 192.168.10.1, and the default login (u:admin/p:admin). Once in, you'll want to change those credentials first thing.

From there, try your firmware upgrade and see what happens.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Sorry Zor...lemme see if I can clarify...

So, your model has a number of ports on the back...the WAN port where your modem will be connected, and several other ports that will (should) function as auto-sensing switchports. If your laptop/computer has an Ethernet port, connect your laptop to one of the open ports with a physical cable. From here, you should be able to access the web-based setup page. In your browser, enter 192.168.10.1, and the default login (u:admin/p:admin). Once in, you'll want to change those credentials first thing.

From there, try your firmware upgrade and see what happens.
Thank you Venge. ^.^

I did try that and it ended up choking and dying. The update itself was kind of odd as all it contains is 2 documents and a .bin file.

This is what it told me to do
1. Unzip the downloaded file to your desktop
2. login to the configuration page (default IP is 192.168.10.1)
3. Go to Tools Firmware section
4.4. Click on Browse button and find the unzipped firmware file and click on Upgrade
5. Upgrade complete.
I picked the .bin as it was the only thing that wasn't a document .(one was instructions and one was release notes).

Yes you are dealing with someone as dumb as a post when it comes to things like this.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Vengence Opus
It's all in a day.

My Mood:

So, it looks like you did everything the correct way, and you are right about the .bin file. This is a binary file commonly used for router updates, so you're good there.

On your model, to do a factory reset of the device, hold down the "reset" button on the back for 15 seconds. (I usually give it a bit longer.) Once you've done that, try to restart it and see what happens. Not sure how these work compared to a Cisco device, but it should still have the old firmware on there, as well, but don't quote me on that. Trendnet may have set it up to overwrite the old in order to save memory, but let's hope not.

After the reset, try logging back in and checking what firmware version is on there. If it is totally back to factory, then you can try your upgrade again from there to see if it works.

...and no worries. Networking can be a pita, especially if you don't deal with it every day.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
So, it looks like you did everything the correct way, and you are right about the .bin file. This is a binary file commonly used for router updates, so you're good there.

On your model, to do a factory reset of the device, hold down the "reset" button on the back for 15 seconds. (I usually give it a bit longer.) Once you've done that, try to restart it and see what happens. Not sure how these work compared to a Cisco device, but it should still have the old firmware on there, as well, but don't quote me on that. Trendnet may have set it up to overwrite the old in order to save memory, but let's hope not.

After the reset, try logging back in and checking what firmware version is on there. If it is totally back to factory, then you can try your upgrade again from there to see if it works.

...and no worries. Networking can be a pita, especially if you don't deal with it every day.

Imma try this in the morning when my brain is fresh and I'm not waiting on important emails.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Zorena

My Mood:

Forgot to post!
I reset it and started all over. The firmware took this time and so far so good. It's been running for 2 days.
Thank you Venge. You rock.
7 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to IsaDaft Trollop Send a message via Skype™ to IsaDaft Trollop
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 
Total Awards: 2

Veng has always rocked!
IsaDaft Trollop is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:
4 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
Vengence Opus
It's all in a day.

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorena View Post
Forgot to post!
I reset it and started all over. The firmware took this time and so far so good. It's been running for 2 days.
Thank you Venge. You rock.
Awesome! So glad it's working for you!

No more cabled Panda!

7 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Awesome! So glad it's working for you!

No more cabled Panda!

OMG you have no idea how funny that is to me.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to IsaDaft Trollop Send a message via Skype™ to IsaDaft Trollop
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaDaft Trollop View Post
Veng has always rocked!
See what I mean?

Oh lordy, This must have been taken sometime in 2006.
IsaDaft Trollop is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
GradyE
Hybrid Angel

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck The GradyE 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaDaft Trollop View Post
Veng has always rocked!
word
GradyE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Zorena

My Mood:

If you're around Veng I have a couple of questions.
The main one is why would it start dropping constantly for a couple hours every day.
It's near the same time of day and it's not the isp. I plugged in direct to check.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Is somebody using your bandwidth over the wifi network?
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
Is somebody using your bandwidth over the wifi network?
I have it passworded and I've checked and seen only me.
At least I think I have it passworded it's had me set an admin and a user one.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Maybe your friend gave it to you because it was dropping her. I asked one of my ISP buddies because our Linksys router started dropping us 4 or 5 times a day for no reason. We had all the latest software for it, had the Comcast guy check our hard-wired system, etc. The ISP buddy said that wireless routers, like everything else these days, aren't built to last. He said that usually 2-3 years on a wireless router is the max lifespan.

But just in case, check that your new router is cool enough. We found that ours drops us when it gets too hot. Make sure it has lots of air circulation.