Banner by GradyE

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Music Makers

I want to play the Fiddle!!(NSFW)
Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Beau Perkins
BANNED

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Beau Perkins
Default I want to play the Fiddle!!(NSFW)

Ok, I am a jack of all instruments, master of none. I grew up in a very musical house hold. I never took it too serious. As I got older I became more interested in learning. I am pretty decent on bass. I know some guitar, just picked up what I know from my brother. I can keep a beat on the drums. I took piano at an early age but I didnt stick with it.

I have had a passion to play the Violin. I really want to learn this.Everyone tells me you have to start as a kid. I call that hogwash. I calle a few places that offr Violin lessons and nobody will take on an adult around me. The only one I have found is like a 2 hour drive.,

I have offered to pay more money. It's not even like they are full, they just do not want an adult. When I asked if they ever tried to teach an adult, they all tell me NO. So then how do they know it is hopeless.

Grumble Grumble

-BEWARE OF THE FETED INNER TROLLS-

Last edited by Lucifer Baphomet; 02-17-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Beau Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user offers hugs:

Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

I did a google web image search on "fiddling while Rome burns" and got this image:

God bless America
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Beau Perkins
BANNED

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
I did a google web image search on "fiddling while Rome burns" and got this image:

God bless America
And when I was young I thought only nerds were learning the fiddle!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Perkins View Post
And when I was young I thought only nerds were learning the fiddle!
You didn't grow up in Texas
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 02-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Ingrid N
Plastic Paddy Spotted!

My Mood:

How odd they wouldn't take an adult. Is this some kind of elitism? Most kids I knew who took the violin didn't particularly stick with it either.

Me, I'm totally learning how to play Ukulele this year
Ingrid N is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Midi

My Mood:

My sister's girlfriend bought her a ukelele for her birthday a few weeks ago, it is terrific.

My son "plays" the violin. I will not offer up critical judgement, but let's say the dog leaves the room with unseemly haste when she sees him opening the violin case.
Midi is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Asher Bertrand
Exercising demons

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Beau: I've played violin since 4th grade. (Note: violin, not fiddle. The two look like the same instrument, and technically are, but they speak a different language). About a decade back, I started playing folk/bluesgrass with some friends. I'm not sure what the music scene is like where you are, but around here there are often folk music groups that get together once a week or once a month where everyone brings their instrument and they just play. Most of these are open to people of all experience levels, so just bring a fiddle and, well, fiddle. Usually there's someone there to show you the basics, and they don't care if you squawk along. And while you're there, you might meet someone to take you on for weekly lessons, too.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I won a medal for violin solo when I was 12. Then we moved to a different town where they didn't have a violin teacher, and I had to give it up. In intervening years I taught myself guitar and piano, but was never terrific- as I always say, I have enough musical talent to know that I have no talent.

About seven years ago somebody gave me an old used fiddle [named "Old Bull"] and I was getting back into the violin and teaching myself to fiddle- as Asher said, they're different languages. It was nice to know that I still knew how to play, after all those years, and I was getting to the point where I'd sounded out a few songs ["Green Man", "Blue Skies", "Education Sentimentale", "La Rirette", and a few others]

Warning: slideshow contains one bad semi-nude painting. NSFW

Then Old Bull's neck got snapped off of his body may he RIP. I still have the parts in the case, but no money to get it repaired.

ANYway.

If you've ever played guitar, or banjo, Beau, you probably have the finger strength. If you have big ham-hands, you might consider cello or stand up bass instead, just because violins have no frets and big fingers have a tough time finding the precise points on the strings.

Also, you can practice your bowing on an old school handsaw to get the proper feel of pressure/movement/rosin/etc.- far less cruel to the dog, too.

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi

Last edited by Jen; 02-17-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

nsfw tag pls?

geesh people i can't even read a fiddle thread around here.
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 02-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Seriously.

Anyway.

I played violin in grade school. Gave me a love for the instrument. But once I moved from New York to New Jersey that was the end of that. NY schools pride themselves on their music programs, NJ? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a school that has one. At least when I was growing up.

I always wanted to take it up again but then I developed all kinds of wonkly hand/arm problems from typing in my job, and such. Repetitive stress and all those other medical issues don't exactly mesh well with playing a violin or fiddle. Alas.

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

If you're referring to the one [bad] semi-nude painting in that video, I apologize- I didn't notice it before. Was listening to the song, not watching the slideshow.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
If you're referring to the one [bad] semi-nude painting in that video, I apologize- I didn't notice it before. Was listening to the song, not watching the slideshow.

no the big assed pic of the semi dressed chick. office environment here!
The following user says thanks:

Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
Beau Perkins
BANNED

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bertrand View Post
Beau: I've played violin since 4th grade. (Note: violin, not fiddle. The two look like the same instrument, and technically are, but they speak a different language). About a decade back, I started playing folk/bluesgrass with some friends. I'm not sure what the music scene is like where you are, but around here there are often folk music groups that get together once a week or once a month where everyone brings their instrument and they just play. Most of these are open to people of all experience levels, so just bring a fiddle and, well, fiddle. Usually there's someone there to show you the basics, and they don't care if you squawk along. And while you're there, you might meet someone to take you on for weekly lessons, too.
Asher back before Jerry died and I had my Dead Head family, was the only time I actually tried playing with other people. It didnt matter how I sounded because it was just for fun and a way we bonded together. One friend of mine did have a violin. I really wish now I took advantage of the opportunity and had him teach me a little. I never took a music lesson, what I do know is just by being exposed to music my whole life.

Thank you all for the great replies. I am determined to find someone with the patience to take on an adult. Although I did not realize the cost of a violin or the fiddle. I think either one is a beautiful art.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Asher Bertrand
Exercising demons

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Killian got one for $50 off eBay. It's not a great instrument to endure the ages, but it's enough to, erm, fiddle around with.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Tag added
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Yeah pawn shops usually have them. It's not the instrument that costs $$, it's the lessons.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
nsfw tag pls?

geesh people i can't even read a fiddle thread around here.
Sorry Viv. I blame google

Quote:

Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Sorry Viv. I blame google
Johnny I could get fired. I thought we had returned to the days of courtesy for that and linked shit like that instead of posting it outright. I guess I'm going to have to turn off pics again but don't expect me to be happy about it and don't expect me not to give you massive amounts of shit for it.

So hopefully your fun is worth the wrath that is about to descend.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Viv, it was a mistake. Most of us don't log on from work. Its easy to forget.

I'm sorry
2 users have offered hugs:

Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Viv, it was a mistake. Most of us don't log on from work. Its easy to forget.

I'm sorry

and i was good with that until your smart ass remark about how you blamed it on google.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

IT WAS A JOKE. Lighten up.

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

No I will not. He needs to realize how serious this is. And if I have to take action like hide all the graphics (again) because he (or anyone else) wants to be an inconsiderate jerk then I'm going to be pissy about it. Its not a joke.
This user groaned at this post:

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Me: I want to get a fiddle again. Not that I have the time. It's just every so often I [fake crying] feel... the need in my heart... to make noise again [sob].

Matt; [looking at me out of the corner of his eye] Aren't you doing that NOW???

Me: [half-shoves him out of his chair].

4 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #25
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
IT WAS A JOKE. Lighten up.

P2
Let it go P2. Viv and I will always clash over this. We come from completely different areas on it. I can't imagine spending work time surfing the web and would have fired any employee I found doing it even if it was carebears.com. She evidently has a job that allows it. We'll likely never see eye to eye on it.

I'll keep trying to remember but I'm sure to forget. When I do, I'll apologize and hope that's enough.

Once again Viv, I apologize. It isn't intentional
2 users have offered hugs:

Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #26
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I know it wasn't intentional. Making light of it after I pointed it out was. That's the point. You don't get the seriousness of it. And what you think of MY employment polices -- which are in no way related to you -- is immaterial to this discussion. I am not the only person here who browses from work. I'm just the only person willing to call it out for the inconsideration that it is.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I wasn't judging you, just stating why it doesn't make sense in my mind. If I stop and think about it, no problem. But it's not instinctual for me.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #28
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
I know it wasn't intentional. Making light of it after I pointed it out was. That's the point. You don't get the seriousness of it. And what you think of MY employment polices -- which are in no way related to you -- is immaterial to this discussion. I am not the only person here who browses from work. I'm just the only person willing to call it out for the inconsideration that it is.
FYI - I surf from work also. In fact, I primarily access this forum from work; my life during the week revolves around my work schedule. I leave the house at 7am and don't get home until after 7pm. I sit at my desk nearly every day having lunch because I'm so busy - as do many others. My office is pretty lenient about use of the internet; we're a design firm and in general pretty loose about things in general (I mean, we have "Beer Fridays" now and then for cripes sake). As long as everyone gets their work done and doesn't abuse it (and nobody does) it's accepted. We all use the internet all day long for out work; doing research for our jobs so being online is a part of our day. Popping into a favorite personal site? No big deal.

What we don't do across the board is surf for dicey material. In fact, this is the first office I've worked for that there is pretty much NO sexual chitchat going on at all, ever. People honestly respect each other; are friends with each other, the bosses are involved daily with everyone and keep in touch with what's going on. It would be considered really distasteful to have that kind of material seen in this particular office. We're in one large, open room, and everyone can see each others monitors for the most part. So, clicking on a link here that isn't marked NSFW or that doesn't have something hidden in a link at least if the thread isn't marked, is problematic for me also.

Just wanted to add my voice about this also so people don't think it's just Viv who is affected.
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks: