Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Mainland: Second Life® > Business and Economy

Closing down stores
Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

Rez Date: Jul 27, 2007
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1
Default Closing down stores

Well, the title says it all: My shops are closing down, 2 out of 3 that is. After LL changed search all once more, I would have to take lots of effort to regain my visibility again, and I simply am tired of that. Since most of my profits come from my animation store anyway, I close down both Sampireun Design and Paradise Found.

Somewhere this week, I will price down every item at least 50%, and start the Final Sale. This will be published in the classifields section on this board, where it belongs. After a week, I will delete everything on the parcel, and put my 35000 sqm of land down for sale.

The animation store I will keep of course, and it will feel quite weird that my only land in SL is the parcel I rent for this store :-) But paying almost US$150 tier for half a sim, that has 2 stores on it who hardly make profit (so far they do make tier plus a small profit), simply is no good business sense.

Inworld store:

Also for copy/mod/no-transfer, and no-copy/mod/transfer animations (both cuddles & erotic)!
Marcel Flatley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Flatley View Post
Well, the title says it all: My shops are closing down, 2 out of 3 that is. After LL changed search all once more, I would have to take lots of effort to regain my visibility again, and I simply am tired of that. Since most of my profits come from my animation store anyway, I close down both Sampireun Design and Paradise Found.

Somewhere this week, I will price down every item at least 50%, and start the Final Sale. This will be published in the classifields section on this board, where it belongs. After a week, I will delete everything on the parcel, and put my 35000 sqm of land down for sale.

The animation store I will keep of course, and it will feel quite weird that my only land in SL is the parcel I rent for this store :-) But paying almost US$150 tier for half a sim, that has 2 stores on it who hardly make profit (so far they do make tier plus a small profit), simply is no good business sense.

irony
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Yeah, I didn't realize till I'd already started to shut down that they had screwed up the search, and that was part of the problem.

I was looking on the SL Blogs a couple of weeks ago and caught onto that. Maybe if I'd caught on earlier, I could have taken some sort of steps about it.

On the other hand, the way they were talking about it, no one had managed to figure it out yet. And some people just weren't showing up on search in the new viewer.

Fortunately, I got out before it got to the point where I would have to pay tier. Or, as Prok said to me, "You got out alive!" lol

Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
Yeah, I didn't realize till I'd already started to shut down that they had screwed up the search, and that was part of the problem.

I was looking on the SL Blogs a couple of weeks ago and caught onto that. Maybe if I'd caught on earlier, I could have taken some sort of steps about it.

On the other hand, the way they were talking about it, no one had managed to figure it out yet. And some people just weren't showing up on search in the new viewer.

Fortunately, I got out before it got to the point where I would have to pay tier. Or, as Prok said to me, "You got out alive!" lol

Well up to now I always adapted to Search All changes, because that was my main way to get noticed. Always were in the top 5 for the keywords I chose to compete for, and I am pretty sure I can do it again. But it takes lots of investigation and time.

Since lately I do not log in too much anymore, I simply do not feel like adapting again, just to earn myself a few US$, it is not like my furniture and plants store made more then 20-30K after deducting the costs (like tiers and advertising).

On the other hand I have my animation store, that is not even on my own land, making a lot more monies, so I rather concentrate on that one. Saves me tons of time that I might invest in Inworldz, just for fun.

@Viv: To be honest I do not see the irony, care to explain? The topic you quote my post from, was about the SL economy, and a reaction to your post where you spoke about people feeling tossed aside by LL. The fact I quit 2 of my 3 stores has got nothing to do with the fact I feel tossed aside; it is simply that I do not feel like spending the time to adapt once more to their changes. My feelings about SL and LL did not change with that.

@All: Thanks for the hugz

Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
The thing that I do not understand about some of you, is the negativity towards SL and LL. For me, SL has been a great opportunity. I made a few good friends, and have started a business that earns me real money. My revenue still growing, because I treat my business like a business.
this
The following user says thanks:

Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
this
Okay I understand why it looks ironic, thanks for clearing that up.

My revenue, however, is still growing (still not meant as bragging, its not like my revenue doubles each month or so ), just not the lines of business I am closing down. Doing business in SL (well in RL too) means adapting all the time, and this time I adapt by closing down 2 of my 3 lines of business.

To elaborate further: It is still not the easiest thing, there is about 2 years of work in my furniture store alone. Some creations I am pretty proud of. But it is simply not worth keeping that part of my business, that needs most work and gives the less revenue in the end.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Okay I understand why it looks ironic, thanks for clearing that up.

My revenue, however, is still growing (still not meant as bragging, its not like my revenue doubles each month or so ), just not the lines of business I am closing down. Doing business in SL (well in RL too) means adapting all the time, and this time I adapt by closing down 2 of my 3 lines of business.

To elaborate further: It is still not the easiest thing, there is about 2 years of work in my furniture store alone. Some creations I am pretty proud of. But it is simply not worth keeping that part of my business, that needs most work and gives the less revenue in the end.

Right but surely you can see how this would make some folks bitter. Especially since you are closing because they changed search ... again. The changes have been even more extreme over the years. I can see how someone who previously made their living could get pretty bitter over the ever changing policies inside SL.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Right but surely you can see how this would make some folks bitter. Especially since you are closing because they changed search ... again. The changes have been even more extreme over the years. I can see how someone who previously made their living could get pretty bitter over the ever changing policies inside SL.
Yeah part of me does see that, but it is so freaking useless. That is why I reactede the way I did in that particular thread. LL does provide us with a rather unique platform, which I am still grateful for.

As for the changes, it is logical that things keep on changing, especially with a platform this new. Many things have changeds, and even more will change. In the end, the target audience will probably be completely different from now. And the fact that this time I decide to quit adapting, still doesn't make me blame LL. It is my own choice after all. Just the same reaction I had with the Open Space sim debacle: I got myself such a sim 2 days before they published the new changes, which meant that I had to relocate my main store twice in 2 weeks. But that too, was my own choice, and I was not among the people cursing at LL. Not that I was happy bout it either

What it comes down to: The platform is their platform, and using it to earn a buck means you have to run your business as a business. Time wasted with "whining" is time lost. Too many very talented designers spent way too much time whining, and did not make it. And instead of blaming LL, they should blame theirselves, as they did not understand the market, or the way you have to run a business in SL. Seriously, if I can make money with the little talent I have got, the real good designers could get rich

Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
Lilyana Muircastle

Rez Date: Oct 18, 2008
My Mood:

Funny thing..lulz I was in your store yesterday looking at items. ^^
Lilyana Muircastle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Rez Date: Nov 16, 2006

Bring your bonsai to IW

http://talonfaire.blogspot.com/
Amaranthim Talon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Yeah part of me does see that, but it is so freaking useless. That is why I reactede the way I did in that particular thread. LL does provide us with a rather unique platform, which I am still grateful for.

As for the changes, it is logical that things keep on changing, especially with a platform this new. Many things have changeds, and even more will change. In the end, the target audience will probably be completely different from now. And the fact that this time I decide to quit adapting, still doesn't make me blame LL. It is my own choice after all. Just the same reaction I had with the Open Space sim debacle: I got myself such a sim 2 days before they published the new changes, which meant that I had to relocate my main store twice in 2 weeks. But that too, was my own choice, and I was not among the people cursing at LL. Not that I was happy bout it either

What it comes down to: The platform is their platform, and using it to earn a buck means you have to run your business as a business. Time wasted with "whining" is time lost. Too many very talented designers spent way too much time whining, and did not make it. And instead of blaming LL, they should blame theirselves, as they did not understand the market, or the way you have to run a business in SL. Seriously, if I can make money with the little talent I have got, the real good designers could get rich
This is an interesting discussion. So most bitter is useless no? But surely there are some things you are bitter about in your life. I mean unless you are superhuman and the like. But I find that everyone has a grudge or two they carry around. It doesn't do any one any good but emotions being what they are there you have it.

So yeah the platform is their platform. But I wouldn't say that you having to relocate twice in as many weeks was entirely your fault. They changed the parameters. Its their right to do so, but surely you would think that they understand that some folks make their living with this and that making content creators change on a dime every six months or two weeks as the case may be isn't a great way of supporting your customers or at least those who make the world go round. And even that said -- you've been at this what? 2 years? 3? There are people who started in 04 and 03 and patience grows thin after a while. It doesn't surprise me that folks opt out and get upset. It doesn't seem unnatural to me. What actually does seem unnatural to me is your attitude.

For a brick and mortar store, it is as if the landlord decided to relocate you, change YOUR advertising, and change the layout and wallpaper on your store 2x a year or so. One would be pissed! But you aren't. This surprises me.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #12
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
This is an interesting discussion. So most bitter is useless no? But surely there are some things you are bitter about in your life. I mean unless you are superhuman and the like. But I find that everyone has a grudge or two they carry around. It doesn't do any one any good but emotions being what they are there you have it.

So yeah the platform is their platform. But I wouldn't say that you having to relocate twice in as many weeks was entirely your fault. They changed the parameters. Its their right to do so, but surely you would think that they understand that some folks make their living with this and that making content creators change on a dime every six months or two weeks as the case may be isn't a great way of supporting your customers or at least those who make the world go round. And even that said -- you've been at this what? 2 years? 3? There are people who started in 04 and 03 and patience grows thin after a while. It doesn't surprise me that folks opt out and get upset. It doesn't seem unnatural to me. What actually does seem unnatural to me is your attitude.

For a brick and mortar store, it is as if the landlord decided to relocate you, change YOUR advertising, and change the layout and wallpaper on your store 2x a year or so. One would be pissed! But you aren't. This surprises me.
Mzzz superhuman sounds kewl :-)

In fact I do not think I can come up with something I am really bitter about. The fact I am a very rational person might explain that a bit. Whenever things in my life happen, I tend to approach them in a rational way. Of course I do have emotions like anyone, but I try to dismiss them after a bit, and think rationally about it. This translates into the following, when the Open Sim thing happened:

- Finally decided to get myself an open sim, after calculating that my store could pay for it.
- Spent some time designing a landscape (before the sim even arrived) and a new shop built. Moved the store to the open sim when it arrived.
- Heard the bad news 2 days later that my sim would be not 75 but 125 dollars per month.
- Reacted like everyone probably: Fuck the Lindens, couldnt they have said this 2 weeks earlier. Yes, I was pissed of.
- Within a day (or max 2) the anger was gone and I started planning my next move. Life goes on. And I never looked back, did not join the angry mob, as I rather spent my energy positive.

Yeah, maybe I am weird in this, maybe even unnatural. At times it is very handy to be able to switch off emotions and think rationally. But probably it is pretty weird to others, I can tell you my gf still hates it ;

In all fairness: LL is a crappy landlord. Probably because we are not their target audience. Never forget LL is a business, and most businesses are about money. And since LL is a business, there is not much room for idealism in SL, which of course is a shame.
No matter what any Linden says: I am pretty sure that if they can make more money by kicking out all current residents, and import the entire facebook population, they would not hesistate a minute.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyana Muircastle View Post
Funny thing..lulz I was in your store yesterday looking at items. ^^
Stalking me you mean? *grins*
Thanks for visiting of course There are more SC2 names I have seen around in my store and/or sale records, always kewl to see!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/s...ead.php?t=7358

Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Malia
queen of culture shock

My Mood:

I just spent over 2000L over there... sigh...

Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #16
margaret mfume

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Time wasted with "whining" is time lost.
Time spent venting is part of letting go and the prelude to moving on.
margaret mfume is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
Czari
Fiery Redhead

Rez Date: May 01, 2007
My Mood:

First, what criteria is the search engine based on now? I'd heard about it changing, but no specifics.

Second - ironically, like Lilyana I was also in your store (furniture and plants) sometime last week. I'd been trying to work on reorganizing note cards and such since I'm in a new location and needed a break. For some reason the thought came to me to visit your store. WOWZA!! My eyes were bugging out even as I entered. I hadn't been in your store since you owned only the furniture store during the "Advice on Sales" thread when we were visiting each others' stores.

I headed to the plant section and did another WOW! Four levels of plants. And tons of them....all arranged like a RL nursery! It was about 2 or 3 am my time so I made a mental note to return when I was more awake, but now I am sooooo glad I at least got to see it!! I took a couple of classes on making plants and it is NOT easy to look realistic.

Third - I second Amar!! InWorldz would LOVE your plant store. People are beginning to "homestead" and build homes and I haven't seen a plant/tree store there yet - especially one like yours.

I know it must have been a hard decision after all that work (still wondering how all you merchants with large stores have the time to create, track sales, many if not most have RL jobs, family, etc.) but as you say, you base your decisions on business instead of emotions. I remain grateful to your advice to not pull everything off Xstreet when LL announced the payment policy. Xstreet is my main avenue for sales and it looks like LL has backed off the pay-to-list idea.

Did I mention it would be a WONDERFUL idea to bring your plant store to IW? You could get an amazing amount of prims very cheaply...or purchase your own estate for $60.00 USD/mo instead of whatever LL charges.

In World Shoppe

SL Marketplace
Czari is offline   Reply With Quote