Waiting for Bedspread
Old 08-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2
Default Waiting for Bedspread

I'm all excited in a superficial fashion over . . . another bedspread. I've been tracking it on Fed Ex and it is supposed to come today. I've rarely been this eagerly anticipating something, so I really hope it works when I get it.

BACKGROUND: What happened was, when older daughter reached mid-teens, she moved into the bottom level, which has a bedroom attached to a bathroom, and my office, which had been in that room, moved up here, with younger daughter's room and our room.

Older daughter took with her her dolphin bedspread and curtains, and one weekend when she was gone (I think they went camping), my girlfriend and I did a whole "Trading Spaces" episode on that room, painting one was deep blue with waves on it, recovering a chair in blue material, putting dolphin stuff in the bathroom etc. Older daughter loved it.

Then older daughter went to college and moved out, and younger daughter eventually got courage enough to take her turn, and moved down there where she would be "by herself" (it was a rather useful transitition-to-adulthood room that way). What surprised me was she didn't want to take her own bedspread and curtains, but preferred the entire dolphin thing, which she was happy in for several years till she, too, flew the coop.

(This dolphin room you know because I put pictures and stuff when I transformed it out of dolphins and into guest room, and also after it flooded.)

SO: Meanwhile, woth older daughter gone and younger daughter downstairs, the bedroom upstairs became the sewing room/guest room, with my mother's day bed in it. And all this time, it has had my daughter's old twin bedspread (which doesn't really fit) and her curtains. While this has worked okay, it is childish looking, and I really don't like pastels. It's not bad pastel, it's mostly blue, with pink, but still, it's pastels.

Hardly the sort of thing you rush to correct; not something I hated beyond reason, but not something up to reasonable standard, either. So for the past couple years, I've been searching for a daybed set. Well, daybed sets are NOT plentiful out there, especially not reasonable ones. And the sets seem either pastel and frou-frou, or plain and dark or beige, as if to fit into a den or something. Just really hard to find much of, and I've looked many times.

One of the things (very few) that haven't yet shown up from the whole-house après flood happens to be that pastel bedspread, and the curtains! Probably lost in the garage somewhere. So I took the opportunity to go on probably my twentieth search over the years for a daybed set. I found one that would, you know, DO - with matching curtains, but it was too red and too old-fashioned looking. I spent days going around with myself: "But it's there, and it's cheap, and it has curtains!" Yes, but . . . I don't really like it.

Then suddenly - I have done this search many ways, using different keywords - I happened on a combination that brought up a set, with curtains, using Waverly "Charleston Chirp" fabric, which, I eventually learned, has been discontinued. It was at Belk. Here was a bedspread I could get excited about! Which is the way things you spend good money on should be. And it was for sale! PLUS I had a coupon! Which was replicated on the website.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

And the website didn't work. The more frustrated I got about the website, the more I realized I really wanted this set. I tried the desktop computer, no go. I found the belk Facebook site, and discovered that yes, it was down, and people were upset. (You couldn't really tell if it was down or it was you, when you were trying to order.)

Tried ordering by phone, but they relied on the same down system. Well, maybe it's not to be, I told myself. But I kept an eye on the site, and when it came up, I ordered. And they processed it immediately! (Maybe because they'd gotten all their orders caught up while the site was down.)

So now I'm waiting its arrival. I hope it comes before hubby gets home, so I can put it on and up and wait till he notices it! (Rather than endure his usual comments when he sees something coming into the house.)

Mainly, though, I hope it WORKS. As in color, print, etc. It's rather bold (for me), but I hope not in an in-your-face way. It's Waverly, so how bad can it be?

When my mother had this daybed, which she slept on after she got too old to go upstairs, she had it done up in one of my grandmother's hand-made quilts, and it was gorgeous. I have all the quilts now, of course, but my husband uses this bed to get dressed and undressed from every day, which means throwing hangers and everything on it, including change and other pockets' contents (even though I've given him a nice basket for that), and sometimes, God help us, his SHOES.

So I couldn't use the quilt, just like I decided I couldn't risk one of them downstairs either (which is why I bought that other bedspread). And his junk is why the daybed set had to be a PRINT, too, so a mark or stain wouldn't ruin the whole thing, which made the daybed bedding hunt even harder.

I was hoping writing about it would make it come. Alas, not yet. But it has helped me to handle my excitement/anxiety! Silly, I know. I don't care. Now - back to hoping it works. And even that it comes and is the right product.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to IsaDaft Trollop Send a message via Skype™ to IsaDaft Trollop
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 

You WILL post pics right? (once you set it up)
IsaDaft Trollop is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Double post

Old 08-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Well I thought I'd post links to the items if they work. The room itself, it will need some shuffling of pictures.

I haven't posted the après flood pics of the downstairs bathroom yet, because I'm waiting on hubby to help me put the picture back up. Only then can I deal with the other towel holder, and other little things.

He hates hanging a picture for me more than anything else on earth. He'd rather have a root canal. And he hates it for no good reason! It will take, like, 5-10 minutes. So I'm waiting on that to finish the flood pictures. May be days, may be weeks, months. It's irrational.

It has always been this way. When we first moved into this house, about 18 years ago, my mother and I were decorating the living room. He'd already hung one big picture for us, but you could only get so much hanging out of him. He was nicer for her than for me, or we might not have gotten that.

So there we were, with this picture we desperately wanted to hang over the stairwell. For us two shorties, that was apparently impossible. Trying to get him to do it, though, would be such a miserable experience that we were sort of determined to do it ourselves.

We did it by me hanging out over the railing (which, very fortunately, held), while she held onto me. We got a lot of laughs about how she held me there by propping her big tummy over my big butt! Haha. I still can't believe we did that.

So . . .

Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

It came! It doesn't look too bold; if anything it's a tad drab in its background color. Not quite as bright as in the picture:

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Pr...=1377028990062

More like the one on the right. (Depends on the lighting, and I stole the main light out of that room for the guest room, so it needs another light.)

But I believe it is about as perfect as it could get!

It looks kind of old-fashioned, but that's okay, as the room is the depository of my great aunt's dressing table, plus all the old family pictures.

Even the pictures in there now look ok with it! But I have some in the garage I want to try that might be better.

One disappointment: The valance has a large striped him, rather than the small striped binding which you see on the picture to the right on that page, showing the valance. I knew these existed. I had seen them on other sites with the bedspreads (but not the daybed set, which I could only find at Belk), but liked them less. But that's what I got. Maybe they'd run out of the others.

I had ordered two valances, in case the window needed two, which with bold hem, I now especially don't think it will, but also to cover the seat to the dressing table. I had tried to find this fabric for that, since the valance isn't wide enough, but as I said, discontinued. Now, with this striped hem, that will be even harder to piece together. I'll decide on that later. What's on the seat now - a sort of brown print with flowers - doesn't even look bad with it.

Or wait - I see this same valance is available elsewhere without the bigger striped hem. I think I'll order those elsewhere, hoping they come without the hem, then send these back maybe. Don't know yet!

I can't wait to see the bed done up! But no time now; hubby is on his way home and were going to Pancakes House. But I had time to struggle it upstairs and in the house and up to the room, so we'll avoid the "What's that," you get from the box on the driveway, which is worse than the "What's that" you get when it's already open and at its destination. Even if not entirely in place yet.

So it isn't on yet (and there's that bothersome bit about the valances), but so far, it looks like a smashing success! I dont THINK I'm going to change my mind after it's on. Years of hunting over! Plus, with sale and coupons, I got bedspread, bed skirt, three shams, two valances, and a pillow, for $203! Plus tax. Free shipping.

And no more little girl pastels!
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I love that print; what a gorgeous floral! Very warm and inviting looking, for a night's happy rest.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Textured Surface

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

I'd sleep on it. It's for sleeping on and not just for show right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Textured Surface is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

This thread is so soothing. Thank you, Coco.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Yw!

So it took me about an hour to iron the bedskirt (wrinkled from the packing), then my husband put it on, and I'll put on the rest (shams still need ironing and I need two more pillows to go inside) later.

My word, but does it look perfect! I was right to be excited! Well, awfully perfect considering the eclecticness of what's in the room. But it is perfect with my great-aunt's dressing table. All pretty old-fashioned looking. But well, hey,when you're dealing with old people's furniture, stuff, pictures, etc., well hey, it's all SUPPOSED to be a tad old-fashioned anyway, right?

More overtly so than my general hodge-podge of style, but for what it all is and is meant to be, this spread set IS perfect. And pleasing to me, unlike that other set (which was *cheaply* old-fashioned, you know what I'm saying) that I kept trying to talk myself into.

What I have over the bed now are my mother's paintings of me and my brother when we were little. I was thrilled to display them, and they went pretty well with the younger daughter's pastel childhood set. But I have these brown pictures with birds that used to climb the stairs in our old house which I'm pretty doggone sure will be better, and possibly perfect.

So I'm gonna cajole the hubby into finding them for me. (Maybe he'll find the missing daughter's bedset, too, while he's at it, so I can give that away with its curtains.) I started to feel bad about the idea of storing the paintings, till I realized rather instantaneously that my mother would be all for going for what is better, assuming it is, or even perfect.

She didn't like really those paintings, by the way, because the perspective was off in places. I, of course, love them. But God knows, they won't be the only paintings that belonged to her I have stored. A house is only so big.

Anyway, yay!

P.S. I expected the bedskirt to be slit up each side, for going over the bar that holds the mattress. But NOOOOOOO. To fix that, I'd have to take it off and make slits myself and hem them, which I'm not actually chomping at the bit to do.
4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
The following user offers hugs:

Old 08-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to IsaDaft Trollop Send a message via Skype™ to IsaDaft Trollop
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 

I love your stories Coco!

And nothing wrong with "old fashioned" mixed with a bit of modern. I'd love to have a room where I could just fix it up and relax, read, and feel like I was in a past era.
The following user says thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

So, two shams are ironed and on. Oddly, they are about two inches wider all around than the standard pillows I got for them today. Maybe I'll fill them in with polyester fill. I didnt have time to do the third one before hubby shooed me out.

Meanwhile, hubby dug up - without my further prompting from me save that one mention the other day! - those pictures I was talking about. I've only opened one of them, but yep - they seem perfect enough to justify packing up the paintings Mother did and putting them in there instead.

So far, so good!

I also got three rugs called "Dirtstoppers" at Kohls, which I've read good reviews about, to put at the three doors in the kitchen, in an attempt to keep this new carpet clean. A couple of coil ones to go outside (hope they will do good), and I still have a few more to get for the other doors. Hopefully this will remove some of my anxiety.

The other day I spilled some Diet Coke behind the bed. I had to wait till hubby got home to move the bed away from the wall. This was about seven hours later. There were two spills back there, each about a tablespoon's worth (most of it had gotten on the bed). Well, it was just sitting on TOP of the carpet! Hubby says this might be because the carpet is made of plastic - recycled pop bottles. Well, if this is the way it's gonna be, I'm a happy camper!
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

So. I got the shams on and the curtains ironed and up. I decided that the wider striped edge on the curtains was fine, and probably preferable to the ones I thought I was ordering, in that it gives it more style, and gives a sharper, more modern cut to an old-fashioned thing, if you know what I mean - manages to make it a bit more of a statement, a bit edgier.

Plus I had them. Turned out it took both. What I will do now is order one from this place that shows it with just the striped edge binding, to cover the seat, and hope it really comes that way.

The pictures my mother painted are replaced with the brown birdy ones. They will need lowering, but I can probably even do that by myself, since the placement is right - just needs lowering. There is another pic that needs to be replaced (but I don't have anything for there), and the matter of a floor lamp. So this will still take a while.

You know, these valances are lined! And the bedspread is reversible (to stripes, not that I'd ever do that). I still can't believe I got all this for $203. It would have been $29 less if I hadn't gotten the pillow, but I had to buy that, too, because, you know, it was there, lol). I think I couldn't find this bed set all these frustrating years because I was waiting for it to be discontinued and the price to go down, haha.

I took a pic of the former valance (the pastel one) which I will post when I get a chance.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
Lula Svoboda
Celebrate Life

Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Waiting for the pics...

That is what I am waiting for! Sounds like the pretty!
Lula Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I might get to a picture point sooner than I thought.

Looking at it in the light of day, I may just leave that seat in its non-matching darker print. I had put the pillow on it last night, and when I saw it this morning, it seemed too light. The dressing table is dark wood. The sun, such as it comes in that room, renders the curtains darker seeming. The seat (as is the bed) being a flat surface with no light behind it, can be too bright.

If anything, it should probably have on it a darker plain seat. So, I'll probably just leave it for now!

---

My husband, seeing things near completion, says, "All right, now what are you going to do in that room?"

"You trying to work me into an existential funk?" I say. "'What's the use of it all?'"

"Yeah," he says.

Well, I'm way ahead of him on that. I already know it's stupid, as is all the stuff I do like this - you know, spending so much time thinking about it and fussing with it, but I don't care and I don't dwell on the fact that very few people will ever see it.

Besides, once I get a room to where it no longer bugs me, it stays that way forever. I don't go moving the furniture or changing up the pics, or buying different stuff. Something has to literally wear out before I replace it, grudgingly.

Other people do, and that's fine. My girlfriend Vickie used to rearrange everything all the time, and have whole new fun environments without spending anything. But I like to get things done and done and then not have to think about it anymore.

Now that the girls are grown and gone, there should be no more unavoidable room shuffling. Unless we move. Which I dread. But I heard him telling younger daughter, who asked about that, that now with the home improvements (carpet and such), we might stay longer to enjoy it all. Whew.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

P.S. The pillow is stupid. It's big, fat, square and clunky. The shams take up 1/3 of the bed as it is. Plus it's the same color/print. Boring.

If I were going to cover that seat, I would get another pillow to work with rather than another sham - more fabric to work with. (One pillow wouldn't do, as one side is quilted and the other not.) I'll wait a while before deciding.

Barring that, an enterprising person would make a couple of cuter small pillows out of it, with solid contrasting backs, so you could even see them on the bed.

Not sure I will ever manage that much enterprisingness, though. I'm not crazy about sewing projects.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
I also got three rugs called "Dirtstoppers" at Kohls, which I've read good reviews about, to put at the three doors in the kitchen, in an attempt to keep this new carpet clean. A couple of coil ones to go outside (hope they will do good), and I still have a few more to get for the other doors. Hopefully this will remove some of my anxiety.

The other day I spilled some Diet Coke behind the bed. I had to wait till hubby got home to move the bed away from the wall. This was about seven hours later. There were two spills back there, each about a tablespoon's worth (most of it had gotten on the bed). Well, it was just sitting on TOP of the carpet! Hubby says this might be because the carpet is made of plastic - recycled pop bottles. Well, if this is the way it's gonna be, I'm a happy camper!
Interesting. I wonder if they repel cat barf the same way? I'm going to have to look these up!

These words brought to you by the letter "T"

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Since you talked about looking it up, and supplied me with the word "repel," I did.

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/floori...verstrand.aspx

Turns out it's not the recycled plastic bottles that does this; it's the "Scotchguard Protector Advanced Repel Technology."

Well I'm here to tell you that stuff really works, at least when the carpet is new.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

I looked them up - kind of pricey, but my older cat has a bad habit of throwing up on the mat we have at the patio door inside the house. It's sisal, he uses it as a scratching area and for some damn reason it appeals to him as a place to throw up on also - probably reminds him of outdoors or something. That mat looks like it might be really easy to clean up. I'm so tired of having to power hose that other one each time he does it
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Oh! I thought you were talking about the carpet.

Yeah, expensive. That's why I put off getting them. I tried another kind of rug, but it looked like a bath mat in the kitchen, so I took it back.

These Dirtstoppers are flat enough for a door to go over, and - ironically - because they don't try to look like anything else, they don't seem out of place, even with three of them at each door in a somewhat small kitchen, and even though they are a darker color than the floor. They look utilitarian, which is somehow a good thing.

We'll see how they do, and then I may order more for other doors in the house. I already bought all three they had in the store.

---

Don't know how they'd be with throw up. But I'd say you should be counting your lucky stars that your cat heads for the mat you have! I wouldn't switch it out for anything! I would have given anything if our cat had done that. He would head OUT of the kitchen or bathroom in order to throw up on the carpet.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

As for the new bed set and curtains, I tell you I am thrilled with them! I love seeing those curtains every time I go past that room, or come out of our bedroom.

Since I'm home basically 24/7, I say pleasing me is worth it!

It will be a while before I take any pictures. Right now I'm going through clothes. I have more clothes that don't fit me than do. So I have them laid out and hung up in there, waiting for my older daughter to come over and see if she wants any before I get rid of them. (Don't worry, I'm saving those a size or two down. I'm just getting rid of those 3-4 sizes down. These are old clothes!)

This was the last room I had to go through before the downstairs flooded. So this project is left over from then.

But it do pleasure me greatly to be doing it in a room that has pretty grown-up curtains and bedspread now! lol

Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Here is the picture of the valance that was in there that belonged to my younger daughter. There was a bedspread, bedskirt, and pillows also.

By the way, I found the missing bedspread! It was in the top shelf of the closet. I did not put it there, hubby must have.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Here are the paintings my mother did of me and my brother that were above the bed. They are charming and personal, yes. I don't care. They have been replaced with impersonal pictures which aren't as charming but match.

2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

And finally, I had a wonderful surprise when I found that the sheets I'd gotten my mother for the assisted living home matched the new bedspread nicely! Here they are:

3 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 

Quote:
And finally, I had a wonderful surprise when I found that the sheets I'd gotten my mother for the assisted living home matched the new bedspread nicely! Here they are:

How wonderful you get to have both in the same room!

Old and new.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 

Quote:
Here are the paintings my mother did of me and my brother that were above the bed. They are charming and personal, yes. I don't care. They have been replaced with impersonal pictures which aren't as charming but match.

Those are priceless Coco! Even if you don't put them up, keep them forever.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 

You make me all sentimental and crazy. I love and hate you! <3
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little: