Banner by Fmeh

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > The Jukebox > TV/Film

Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #121
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #122
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I watched The Fifth Element last night for the first time. Very disappointed. I thought it was supposed to be some great sci fi flick but turned out to be Bruce Willis being Bruce Willis and a bunch of silly amateurish sci fi stuff

Did I miss something?

Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #123
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
I watched The Fifth Element last night for the first time. Very disappointed. I thought it was supposed to be some great sci fi flick but turned out to be Bruce Willis being Bruce Willis and a bunch of silly amateurish sci fi stuff

Did I miss something?
Yes.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #124
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
Yes.
Enlighten me please
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #125
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

It incorporates Blade Runner (movie, not story) vision of city of future, very well done. Snarky quips from everyone, not only Willis. Good alien element (pun intended) though a bit mystical. Most interesting is the vision of the recreation boat, representing a high degree of civilization mixed with the usual butt-kissing that primates do so well. The wonderful interstellar self-involved personality is totally entrancing and wildly funny. There are multiple levels of boss v. underlings, echoing back and forth, plus John Mitchell's "no knock" torqued and shown again for what it is.

Good science fiction often reflects the present, it says "this is what is happening out there in the world, right now." It does this by amping up the present and showing it in an exaggerated technical form. And Fifth Element has this quality, in trumps. With personality.

And the acting is good, the casting is good, the special effects are good, and the photography is good. What more could you want?

ETA: How I could forget this: it's a romantic-comedy with a well-done requisite happy ending. I cry every time I watch it.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #126
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Last weekend I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

It was ok not anywhere as good as the other 3 and about 30 minutes too long.
The set itself seemed off too as if watching it I could tell it was on a set, if that makes sense.
Penelope Cruz was his co star instead of the reg crew it just did not fit for me. She was good do not get me wrong but she would have been better with the others along side her.

I loved this series before and hoped for a better movie or at least as good as the rest. It is not worth going to the movies for but renting will be fine, imo.

there ends your P.S.A.

“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” ― Coco Chanel
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." ― Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Morgaine Alter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #127
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Oy. That's not saying much because the 3rd one sucked.

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #128
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
It incorporates Blade Runner (movie, not story) vision of city of future, very well done. Snarky quips from everyone, not only Willis. Good alien element (pun intended) though a bit mystical. Most interesting is the vision of the recreation boat, representing a high degree of civilization mixed with the usual butt-kissing that primates do so well. The wonderful interstellar self-involved personality is totally entrancing and wildly funny. There are multiple levels of boss v. underlings, echoing back and forth, plus John Mitchell's "no knock" torqued and shown again for what it is.

Good science fiction often reflects the present, it says "this is what is happening out there in the world, right now." It does this by amping up the present and showing it in an exaggerated technical form. And Fifth Element has this quality, in trumps. With personality.

And the acting is good, the casting is good, the special effects are good, and the photography is good. What more could you want?

ETA: How I could forget this: it's a romantic-comedy with a well-done requisite happy ending. I cry every time I watch it.
I agree.

Also, it's one of the few movies with Milla I can stand. I LOVE her singing (hey, does anyone know she started out in music? Check out "The Divine Comedy, (http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Comedy-Milla-Jovovich/dp/B000002TNT) a masterpiece of an album - such a charming sweet voice she has, and she wrote all the lyrics and music herself). But, as an actress EGADS she is awful usually.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #129
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

What Google doesn't know, Wiki does:

Quote:
Milla Jovovich (play /ˈjoʊvəvɪtʃ/ yoh-və-vich; born Milica Jovović;[1] December 17, 1975)[2] is a supermodel, actress, musician, and fashion designer. Over her career, she has appeared in a number of science fiction and action themed films, for which music channel VH1 has referred to her as the "reigning queen of kick-butt".

Jovovich began modeling at age 11, when photographer Gene Lemuel discovered her and convinced Herb Ritts to shoot her for the cover of Lei magazine.[3] Richard Avedon featured her in Revlon's "Most Unforgettable Women in the World" advertisements, and she continued her career with other campaigns for L'Oréal cosmetics, Banana Republic, Christian Dior, Donna Karan, and Versace. In 1988, she had her first professional acting role in the television film The Night Train to Kathmandu, and later that year, she appeared in her first feature film, Two Moon Junction. Following more small television appearances such as the "Fair Exchange" (1989) and a 1989 role as a French girl (she was 14 at the time) on a Married... with Children[4] episode and film roles, she gained notoriety with the romance film Return to the Blue Lagoon (1991). She appeared in 1993's Dazed and Confused alongside Ben Affleck and Matthew McConaughey. Jovovich then acted alongside Bruce Willis in the science fiction film The Fifth Element (1997), and later played the title role in The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999). In 2002, she starred in the video game adaptation Resident Evil, which spawned three sequels: Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004), Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) and Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010).[5]

In addition to her modeling and acting career, Jovovich released a music album, The Divine Comedy in 1994. She continues to release demos for other songs on her official website and contributes to film soundtracks; Jovovich has yet to release another album. In 2003, she and model Carmen Hawk created the clothing line Jovovich-Hawk, which ceased operations in early 2008.[6] In its third season prior to its demise, the pieces could be found at Fred Segal in Los Angeles, Harvey Nichols, and over 50 stores around the world. Jovovich also has her own production company, Creature Entertainment.[7]

Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #130
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Furthermore...Btw, I saw her perform in NYC in one of those acoustic sets this refers to, a very, very tiny space that fit maybe 50 people at the most around 1994 or 1995. I was like 5' from her if that. She was a little waif, so thin and frail looking, in a wispy hippie dress. So unlike what she is now.

Quote:
Jovovich had begun working on a music album as early as 1988, when she was signed by SBK Records after the company heard a demo she recorded.[67] In August 1990, she asserted in an interview that the then-forthcoming album would be "a mix between Kate Bush, Sinéad O'Connor, This Mortal Coil, and the Cocteau Twins".[68] After it was initially presented by SBK strictly as a pop album, Jovovich protested, insisting on using her personal poetry for lyrics and recording her own instrumental material.[67] Jovovich had written the songs when she was fifteen, with the exception of a Ukrainian folk song, "In a Glade", that she covered. In April 1994, billed under her first name, she released The Divine Comedy, a title that was a reference to the epic poem by Dante Alighieri of the same name. Jovovich had chosen the title after seeing Russian artist Alexis Steele's proposed cover artwork sketch for the then untitled album. Jovovich found that the sketch had "all the struggle that I'm singing about. It IS the divine comedy".[67] The Divine Comedy was well received by critics, and featured pop-infused traditional Ukrainian folk songs that led to comparisons with musicians Tori Amos and Kate Bush.[18] John McAlley of Rolling Stone called the album "remarkable", "strikingly mature and rich in invention", and as featuring "angst-laced poetry with vivid melodies and arrangements that find a common spirit in synth pop, European folk and psychedelic dream rock".[69] Jovovich released the track "Gentleman Who Fell", with an accompanying music video, as the sole single from the album. The music video was originally directed by Lisa Bonet and featured Harry Dean Stanton, but Jovovich was unsatisfied with the results and decided to film another version. The second version of "Gentleman Who Fell", a homage to Maya Deren's short film Meshes of the Afternoon (1943), was subsequently played on MTV. Jovovich toured the United States during most of 1994 to promote the album, opening for Toad the Wet Sprocket and Crash Test Dummies, as well as playing smaller acoustic sets. Jovovich had opted to perform in smaller and more intimate settings, turning down a musical appearance on Saturday Night Live. Milla has also been collaborating musically with longtime friend and musician Chris Brenner, who co-wrote with her on the Divine Comedy Album and who was the musical coordinator for the supporting tour. She and Brenner met in 1993 and have been working creatively on different ventures ever since.[36] Following The Divine Comedy, she expressed interest in releasing a second album, having had ten songs ready for a future recording that was intended for a Summer 1996 release.[23][24] However, Jovovich has yet to release a second album.
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #131
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

FWIW Resident Evil was a pretty good film. I enjoyed the others but like most movie sequals the others disappointed but still fun

Old 05-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #132
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

When she was new on the scene I thought she was adorable, so pretty... still is.
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #133
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

We saw "The Hangover Part 2" tonight. I didn't think a movie could make me laugh any harder than the first one did, but we both nearly split our seams.

Not going to give any spoilers, but oh, God, I laughed.

NOT for kids AT ALL, however. Thankfully, all of ours were next door watching POTC4.

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #134
Ayu Sura

Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 5k trainwreck 

I just watched Alice in Wonderland on Netflix.

I liked the girl who played Alice, and I thought her friendship with the other characters in Wonderland was ... engaging? I had brief doubts about whether the White Queen really was the "good" queen - and I sort of feel some pity for the Red Queen... she's kind of like an adorable bratty child that needs to be taken in hand, not banished... must be the mommy in me coming out.

I have to agree with my friends that Futterwacken dance was just... stupid.

But overall, I think I'd have liked it as a kid.
You are coated with an Encrusted Foul-Smelling, Sparkly Substance.

- excerpt from You Awaken in Razor Hill
Ayu Sura is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #135
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu Sura View Post
I just watched Alice in Wonderland on Netflix.

I liked the girl who played Alice, and I thought her friendship with the other characters in Wonderland was ... engaging? I had brief doubts about whether the White Queen really was the "good" queen - and I sort of feel some pity for the Red Queen... she's kind of like an adorable bratty child that needs to be taken in hand, not banished... must be the mommy in me coming out.

I have to agree with my friends that Futterwacken dance was just... stupid.

But overall, I think I'd have liked it as a kid.
I saw this in the theater when it came out. Enjoyable but I wasn't overwhelmed. But eye candy, so beautiful.

Watched it again on HBO a couple of months ago and found it much more entertaining. The Red Queen is done SO well. And I agree with you about the White Queen. Something not-so-nice there.

That dance was stupid. Out of place in the movie. Ugh. They should have left it on the cutting room floor.
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #136
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

The Dictator

dear god this man is sick in a good way

Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #137
FuckWad

My Mood:

I went to see X-men: First Class this week.

Very solid movie...great blend too, with the "current crises" of the timeframe in which it was staged. Kevin Bacon was great too, as the 'uber-bad-ass, as you'd expect.

The rest of the actors were also well-cast, and delivered. The 2½ hrs. whizzed by. I was sorry to see it end.
FuckWad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #138
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Just watched Ip Man2 great flick and now on to some more Donnie Yen movies.
I almost enjoy him as much as Jet Li.
sighs
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #139
Isabeau Imako
Like a record, baby...

My Mood:

Millenium is coming out soon. I'm excited.

I read the books, and saw the prior 3 movies, and some hate the idea of the series being remade, but I don't mind. Although, I do find it a tad strange that all the characters seem to have different accents but come from the same place...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #140
Cathiee McMillan
Beach Bunns

My Mood:

So the Teaser Posters are out for
Batman the Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man
So the question I wounder will Bane Break Batman's Back in this film

Cathiee McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #141
Morgaine Alter
bigfoot killer

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Brave!
Go see it because it is awesome and a great movie for girls besides, crazy red haired women rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brave-trailer.jpg (15.4 KB, 14 views)
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #142
Tout

My Mood:

I saw John Carter of Mars and i liked it
Tout is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:

Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #143
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

My husband wanted to see Dark Knight Rises and so we did. There were about 25 people in the audience, but he and I were the only ones laughing. Some of the plot premises were just so over the top it was no longer possible to take the thing straight. It was pure and unadulterated Hollywood codswallop. Aside from the necessary willing suspension of disbelief, we kept getting slammed with so many "he didn't really say/do that, did he?" moments--which provoked our laughter--that for the last 45 minutes of the movie, I know I was hoping for a quick finish to everything. I didn't clock the device's clock at the end, but it seemed to me that 10 device minutes took a whole lot longer than that.

I think the only excuse for the film is one of the subtext messages that violent socio-economic revolutions are the pits, particularly when you add in thermonuclear destruction.

Oh, a technical detail. The theater was equipped with DBOX seating, which add motion to your butt whether you like it or not (pitch, roll and (giggle!) heave). At $4 per cheek, or $8 per butt, we didn't opt for it, but got some of its effects anyway. I guess that when the seats of about twenty 150 pound primates were heaving them up and down, it made the floor bump nicely, too, which was a nice effect for us in the cheap seats, too.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #144
Envoy Costagravas
Travels the world, calmly

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
My husband wanted to see Dark Knight Rises and so we did.
I like the fact that the two of you are out together, laughing.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)
The following user offers hugs:

Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #145
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Thank you, Envoy! It is good for us, you're right! And it's a good sign for him, too.

We went to see To Rome with Love last week and had a wonderful time! It's a really good movie, a little silly, a little confusing, and a lot funny. Baldwin is a great card, Allen was perfect! See Eet! I recommmendommmend it highly!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #146
Envoy Costagravas
Travels the world, calmly

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 

"Rome" is on our list. We go to movies so seldom, I think it is the only movie currently *on* our list.
Envoy Costagravas is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #147
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
which add motion to your butt whether you like it or not
Potentially sig worthy

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #148
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Book of Eli

Hit or miss?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #149
Zorena
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Rez Date: Jun 01, 2005
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
Book of Eli

Hit or miss?
I love Denzel but I really didn't like the movie and the ending... oy.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #150
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Can we pass a rule the Tom Cruz isn't allowed to be in any more movies? I'm not saying he has no talent, I'm just really tired of him
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #151
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I keep seeing a commercial for "After Earth" which confuses me because it stars Will Smith but this isn't July 4th and doesn't he always release his movies then?

Also it says no human had set foot on earth in a thousand years and in the next breath that the animals had evolved to kill humans. Huh? How could they evolve to kill something they haven't seen in a thousand years?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #152
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

We saw Iron Man 3 today. Slightly predictable, but AWESOME nonetheless.
Stay for the closing credits.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #153
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

Rez Date: Apr 18, 2005
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Sally Rosebud Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elora Lunasea View Post
We saw Iron Man 3 today. Slightly predictable, but AWESOME nonetheless.
Stay for the closing credits.
Indeed.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2