Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic

Electronic Cigs and the FDA
Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Beau Perkins
BANNED

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Beau Perkins
Default Electronic Cigs and the FDA

I was a smoker for 20 years. Started when I was 16. I tried quitting about 15 times since I was 30. Nothing worked. Cold turkey, Nicorette, The Patch, Mints, and numerous other methods. I spent thousands of dollars trying to quit. I would have short moments of success that never went longer than a week or so.

Until I tried E-Cigs. I can sit here and say it was been 1 month. Now the FDA is trying to stop sales of anything related to E-Cigs. The reason....it is not tested. The government is afraid it might kill me. I have to ask myself, did the FDA approve smoking? We already know THAT IS killing me, what worse outcome could e-cigs have?

I did not just jump into what is called "Vaping". I spoke to people and read tons of testimony. Many people have been vaping for years. It is just now becoming popular due to the heavy tobacco taxes. I'll talk more about those taxes in a minute.

I have never read 1 bad testimony on any forum. Not one person saying vaping caused any health issue. This was enough for me to exchange my smoking addiction to what I call a Vaping Hobby.

FDA says they found dangerous chemicals in some e-cig products. A chemical used in anti-freeze. Many doctors question the FDA decision and testing methods. I should note I know for sure my juice does not have dangerous chemicals. It is water based flavoring and Propylene Glycol. PG is used in many consumable products. Few test have been does on using it as a inhalable vapor however. Those dangerous chemicals where found in just 1 brand that is shipped from China (go figure).

Many doctors are voicing out against the FDA on its currents stance of the product.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-70265572.html

There is one such story for those who like to demand sources from me

Here is what I believe it is really about. The government is losing on tax dollars as this gets more popular. It has nothing to do with health concern. I find it very ironic that Phillip Morris is in the process of developing an E-Cig. Why do I have the suspicion that Phillip Morris will have the first FDA Approved E-Cig? Why do I have the feeling that my cheaper version will be banned on a technicality but the Phillip Morris one will be available at a much steeper cost?

Fuck em. I'll break the law to do this if I have to. As of right now I am safe but there are 2 shippers refusing to ship to my stater already because of Richard Blumenthal, the CT Surgeon General who is a big opponent of E-Cigs.

(puts a couple drops of Coffee Flavored E-Juice into his Vaporizer and takes in the delicious enjoyment)
Beau Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users say thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Lias
I am Cornholio

Rez Date: Jul 06, 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to Lias Send a message via Skype™ to Lias
Awards Showcase
Forumz Crusader 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

I quit smoking in 2005 - when I started my own business and knew I would be in front of the computer for hours with nothing to stop me from smoking 20 cigs a day.

When these electric cigs came out I was looking at the non-nicotine flavours thinking it would be fun. But then I figured it would be a step backward and ditched the idea.

I know in NYC they were embraced by the bar going community because they could 'smoke' inside again. But the lawmakers here are working to ban the electric cig from bars and restaurants also.

Last edited by Lias; 12-13-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Lias is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Tya

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

how are you feeling smoke free? physically?

congrats btw
Tya is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Beau Perkins
BANNED

My Mood:

I started up on a high level of Nictotine. I slowly stepped down. The juice I now use is only 6MG of nicotine. I honestly feel no addicition. I make my own Nic-free juices. However some flavors need the nicotine Throat Hit to taste good.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Lias
I am Cornholio

Rez Date: Jul 06, 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to Lias Send a message via Skype™ to Lias
Awards Showcase
Forumz Crusader 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tya View Post

congrats btw
I just took my last puff and never picked up another one. When the kids kick you out of the house it's time to make drastic changes in behaviour. They weren't used to seeing me night and day - and since my new office was in the house - we all had to adjust our daily routines so as to not annoy one another.

I don't think you ever stop wanting them. You just have to replace the urges with memories of people coughing around you and the kids telling you you are going to die.

People with addictive personalities probably need more than willpower to quit - and the help is available for anyone seeking it.
Lias is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Beau Perkins
BANNED

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tya View Post

congrats btw
I feel awesome. I am taking deep breaths I have not felt in 15-20 years. My work outs at the gym have got more intense also. I cant say I have felt one ill effect.

I went through a 2 week period where I coughed stuff up, that was not from the vapor though, it was the tar peeling off my lungs. I think that the vapor actually helped the processes along.

One effect I guess is my throat gets dry at times. Nothing a glass of water doesnt solve however.
2 users say thanks:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Monna
soulless cunt

Rez Date: Mar 03, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Monna
Awards Showcase
Bimbo 5k trainwreck 

Kick ass Beau

Old 12-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

There might be something wrong with it, or with some brands of it, but I agree, they just want their cut of it.

A little aside: As for breaking the law if you have to, go for it. I'm convinced that as time goes on, more and more ordinary people will be breaking the law. Even people who try not to break the law will probably be criminals somehow.

Me, I plan to be as law-abiding as I always was, no matter what. I used to think it was good for everybody. No more. I don't encourage my children to break the law, but I gotta tell ya, if they have to, I won't consider it as bad as I once would have.

And if the government messes with me and the stuff I need to survive, I'll break the law, too, and hope I don't get caught. (Not by taking from others, though. Not that kind of law-breaking.)

It's paranoid of me, I suppose, but the things coming down the pike will easily make criminals of all of us - not necessarily to go to jail over, but at least to get fined and taxed over.

We'll be breaking the law simply because many people won't be able to afford not to. Others will just want to do what they once did; things that were once legal. Others will need things to survive.

So for the coming generations, I say, to hell with the law. It won't protect you, and the government considers you its adversary. So . . . just don't get caught in whatever it is.

Complicated to explain; just feelings I have.

coco

Last edited by Cocoanut Koala; 12-13-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Fmeh
Meow.

Send a message via AIM to Fmeh Send a message via MSN to Fmeh Send a message via Yahoo to Fmeh Send a message via Skype™ to Fmeh
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

It sure makes the FDA look like it's pro-corporation and no longer pro-consumer...

Fmeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Freya
Vaginal Parfait

Send a message via Yahoo to Freya Send a message via Skype™ to Freya
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

The FDA ISN'T pro-consumer. They let shite go by that shouldn't be happening in all industries. Them saying they may not be safe doesn't mean a thing to me.

Freya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Abe Froman
Sausage King

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Perkins View Post
I have to ask myself, did the FDA approve smoking?
one of the best questions ever

i have been told it would cripple several states (many in the bible belt) as that is the cash crop their

i still dont like it and think it should be illegal as cigs are a product that when used according to direction will kill you

they should outlaw the sale of tobacco, but allow people to grow their own and use it if they really want to

seems like a good way to save lives, take away the influence of big tobacco, and not infringe on anyones freedom to grow their own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Perkins View Post
I went through a 2 week period where I coughed stuff up, that was not from the vapor though, it was the tar peeling off my lungs.
i am currently smoking but am always quitting

for a few months this year i was totally off them

i know the lung cookies of which you speak, it is normal to start ejecting the mess left once you stop adding more mess

it sucks but it feels real good to get rid of the garbage

good luck and keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
Somehow his return reminded me of a piece I heard about (but never heard) by John Cage. The title of the piece was something like "Piece for Percussionist, 13 Percussion Instruments, and Gravity". Mulch ran threw us banging on most--if not all--of the tightly strung people and topics and today... Well, today reminds me of a Bessie Smith song, "Empty Bed Blues".

Was it good for you, too, Mulch?
Abe Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Freya
Vaginal Parfait

Send a message via Yahoo to Freya Send a message via Skype™ to Freya
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

yes well then they could start producing hemp. Don't be so short-sighted Abe.
Freya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
Abe Froman
Sausage King

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
yes well then they could start producing hemp. Don't be so short-sighted Abe.
i like your thinking

ganja could save the country via taxes

screw hemp, go right for the kush
Abe Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
flavian

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Tobacco: America's first gift to the world.
flavian is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
Eirik Haefnir
User

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Workers, peoples, communities.
Love, joy, sacrifice and diversity. Destroyed.

- Casapound

Last edited by Eirik Haefnir; 07-14-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Eirik Haefnir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
Rev Eponym
llDetectedGrab();

Send a message via Yahoo to Rev Eponym

If the FDA wants to investigate e-cigs, they should also investigate the fire-proofing chemical that Philip Morris got legislated into place... without apparently having it FDA tested first...?
Rev Eponym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
Dancien

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

As far as I understand it, the only truly harmful chemical in the e-cigs besides nicotine is the same chemical they use in fog machines.

They have doubts (per usual because they are fucking retards) about e-cigs for the same reason they hate foreign (read: Canadian) drugs. Because they have zero control over it and don't receive their cut.

These are the same assclowns who approved Chantix. Which, seriously has the longest list of pretty much absolutely horrifying side effects I have ever seen. Why YAY I quit smoking, now if only they can give me another drug to get these thoughts of suicide and horrifyingly vivid dreams that Chantix caused out of my head.

http://lungs.emedtv.com/chantix/chan...e-effects.html
Dancien is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Dancien

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Here are some of my favorites:

Quote:
# Suicidal behavior
# Psychotic, aggressive, or strange behavior
Um, that's me without cigarettes currently. Pass.

Quote:
High blood pressure (hypertension)
So if I have to quit smoking due to my health, the high blood pressure should be okay right?

Quote:
http://lungs.emedtv.com/chantix/chan...e-effects.html
List of Sexual Side Effects
Give up smoking or keep having sex. Not an entirely hard decision (pun intended)
Dancien is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 AM   #19
Atra Lupis
Darkness from Light

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Atra Lupis Send a message via Yahoo to Atra Lupis Send a message via Skype™ to Atra Lupis
Awards Showcase
Purity of Fire 5k trainwreck 

Someone buzz me when they make one of these for pipe tobacco smokers.

What does this make me?

I am the Darkness that those of the Light foolishly believe they can be rid of.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men ..."

"Would you love a Monsterman?"

"Follow the signs of the Crimson Thunder/We will stay by your side/Let our voices be there, to guide you."
Atra Lupis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #20
Vengence Opus
It's all in a day.

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atra Lupis View Post
Someone buzz me when they make one of these for pipe tobacco smokers.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/New-Arr...w-_p49231.html
Vengence Opus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #21
Jorus
Bee Bully

My Mood:

Heh, was tempted to try these, but then I realized that I'd be trading a non habit (Kicked smoking about a year ago) for an expensive one.

I'll just keep my money and smoke the rare cigar when it gets to be too much.
Jorus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #22
Richard Waveington
Blast it with piss

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
There might be something wrong with it, or with some brands of it, but I agree, they just want their cut of it.

A little aside: As for breaking the law if you have to, go for it. I'm convinced that as time goes on, more and more ordinary people will be breaking the law. Even people who try not to break the law will probably be criminals somehow.

Me, I plan to be as law-abiding as I always was, no matter what. I used to think it was good for everybody. No more. I don't encourage my children to break the law, but I gotta tell ya, if they have to, I won't consider it as bad as I once would have.

And if the government messes with me and the stuff I need to survive, I'll break the law, too, and hope I don't get caught. (Not by taking from others, though. Not that kind of law-breaking.)

It's paranoid of me, I suppose, but the things coming down the pike will easily make criminals of all of us - not necessarily to go to jail over, but at least to get fined and taxed over.

We'll be breaking the law simply because many people won't be able to afford not to. Others will just want to do what they once did; things that were once legal. Others will need things to survive.

So for the coming generations, I say, to hell with the law. It won't protect you, and the government considers you its adversary. So . . . just don't get caught in whatever it is.

coco
come down off the cross, we need the wood.
Sporting Dresden
Richard Waveington is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #23
Jorus
Bee Bully

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post

coco
You really need to read the Night Watch series of books by Terry Pratchett. I think they would be up your alley.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:13 AM   #24
Atra Lupis
Darkness from Light

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Atra Lupis Send a message via Yahoo to Atra Lupis Send a message via Skype™ to Atra Lupis
Awards Showcase
Purity of Fire 5k trainwreck 

Talk about a Necropost here .... (took me a minute to even find the e-cig related thread I'd posted into)!

Thanks to a room mate that moved in a couple of months back, I've decided to grab an e-cig setup for use in places where 'traditional' smoking might annoy others. Going with a Vision Spinner 1300 miliamp/hour battery, a KangerTech ProTank 3, KT Airflow regulator (remember, I'm used to large clouds thanks to my pipe) and a swivelable drip tip.

I'll likely also get a Vision made pipe modkit eventually as well.
Atra Lupis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #25
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atra Lupis View Post
Going with a Vision Spinner 1300 miliamp/hour battery, a KangerTech ProTank 3, KT Airflow regulator (remember, I'm used to large clouds thanks to my pipe) and a swivelable drip tip.

I'll likely also get a Vision made pipe modkit eventually as well.
This post made me laugh, because it occurred to me that if someone just happened into a conversation at that moment and heard just that, it would sound as if you were discussing something killer, like a flame-throwing rocket-motorcycle bagpipe attachment or something, instead of a four-inch fake cigarette.

Builder
Virtual Urchin
Proud Owner of Post #5000
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #26
Jorus
Bee Bully

My Mood:

If you are a cloud chaser you want a mech mod.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

"[22:15] Tracer Graves: problem is, i can manage to play a girl pretty well"

"[22:15] Kristian Ming: you don't need to play a girl very well to escort in sl"

Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #27
Lain (is Bams)
For-uhm Boredz Creator

Rez Date: Sep 23, 2007
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I do not smoke, but got into the vaping thing hoping to create vape juice that's infused with the herbs I prefer, similar to the way I make the elixir for Bunnie, anyway I started with a simple E-Go kit. Two months later my current kit is

Vision Spinner Rainbow 1300
2x MT3 Clearomizer (I like to carry more than one flavor at a time :P)
Cloupor Cloutank M3 (for Waxes and Solids )

I need a better lanyard the one that I have is boring and plain.

Lain (is Bams) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #28
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain (is Bams) View Post
I need a better lanyard the one that I have is boring and plain.
Here's one I found on eBay:

(3 available, 4 1/2 days left)

I know it's for duck calls, but it looks like it could be useful for e-cigs too.
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:
The following user says thanks: