Banner by Gabriele Graves

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Mainland: Second Life® > Business and Economy

Advertising Your Business - How To Get Your Business Noticed in Second Life
Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Rez Date: Nov 16, 2006
Default Advertising Your Business - How To Get Your Business Noticed in Second Life

There is a great thread over at SL Forums that has helped me personally tremendously in growing my business. The thread title over there is "Advice on Sales".

It is my intention to collect that information here and share it. I hope others will add their advice here as well.

http://talonfaire.blogspot.com/
Amaranthim Talon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
prinţesă nina
Banned

Rez Date:

1) sue linden lab

Here are a few notes I gathered today from the original Thread - no particular order
Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Default Here are a few notes I gathered today from the original Thread - no particular order

Use Full-Bright on your display boxes.

Name your Store Signage for folks that do not rez right away so they will know where they are.

Do not use textures bigger than 512 whenever possible to cut back on rez time

Make your merchandise available on Search by ticking the appropriate box.

Invest in a small classified advert to get your name out there.

Ask your friends and customers if they are willing to put your store in their picks.

Optimize your land for search by adding a good description to the land field – research what words work best for your product.

Set up a group and send notices of new releases.

Join appropriate in-world groups to promote your products – such as:
 Fashion Consolidated
 *Freestyle*
 Homestyle Consolidated
 Sexy Shoppers
 100% Advertising

Create a webpage or store blog and promote your items there and the webpage in-world.

Join some SL Fashion Feeds if you do fashion, here are a few:

http://www.iheartsl.com
http://www.avanista.com
http://fashionfeedofsl.com
http://fashionplanet.worldofsl.com/
http://inqconnections.com/style/
http://slfashion.metavirtual.us
http://planet.slbazaar.net/
http://whatsnewinsecondlife.blogspot.com/
http://nocturnemodelling.com/feeds/
http://www.brinksie.com/
http://fashion.shopaholicfeed.com

You are your own best advertising - make sure your store is in YOUR picks

Advertise in related SL foums such as SLUniverse - both in New Products and bought space when possible.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #4
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

Rez Date: Jul 27, 2007
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

- Have a brand name, and stick to that. People should recognize your brand. If I had to do things over again, I would not choose Sampireun Design for my furniture line, as that is too difficult to memorize. Choose something catchy.
- Be present on XStreet. No matter if you like XStreet or not,it is a free way of exposing yourself (NOT in that way!).
- If you can afford it, buy a handful of homepage features on XStreet. Boosts your traffic there, and gives exposure. At 2899 a month it seems much, but advertising is not cheap.
- Put your store in your signature, but not too intrusive.
- As mentioned: have your store in your picks, and have at least a 50 linden classified for it. People do use those.
- Focus on Search All, make sure people can find you there. Do not compete for "Dress", but for example "Victorian dress". SEO is something that takes time but is worth it.
- Have a tidy store. Sounds weird, but some stores are impossible to navigate.
- The more items you have in-world and on XStreet, the more you will sell. So, get to work :-)

My stores:
Sampireun Design - Low prim furniture
Paradise Found - One prim plants
Erotic Motions - Full perm erotic animations
Marcel Flatley is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:

Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
Madame Maracas
Professional Smartmouth

Rez Date: Jun 07, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I'd add ...

Be sure to include a LM in your packaged goods, makes it easy for folks that are walking billboards (have your product out in world) steer folks to your in-world store.

Make sure note cards are PROOFED and accurate and up to date. Yes it's a pain, but pays off in a good impression and clear communication is always helpful.

Put Mod/Copy/Transfer info on promotional graphics & in description. When the world is slow to rezz, hover text can help you sell & communicate.

Make whatever you put out the best you can, nothing will kill future business more than shoddy merchandise. Sell me poor merch. once I'll never shop there again, sell me excellent, well made merch. once I'll shop there forever and bring my friends!

DO NOT photoshop your promo pictures such that they no longer represent the product accurately, nor obscure the product with whiz-bang fancy effects! I see mist or overlays & immediately I think, "must not be well made, they're covering up" and I move on.

Clothing designers, show the product from more than one angle. Show me that your seams line up. Show me you know how to match the shoulder straps, the hip seams, the under arm seam. Show me you do quality work.

Leave drama to the llamas that's not your biz, quality product is, stick to that!

Enjoy what you're doing, it IS your Second Life after all!

Founder & DJ - RadioRadio
6 - 9 pm SLT Fridays
6 - 9 pm SLT Saturdays

Professional Smartmouth
Lover of puns (bad & worse)

Madame Maracas on Plurk

Please help me raise funds to fight Cancer!

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/MadameMaracasRadioRadio
Madame Maracas is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Charlemagne Allen
Vicious Asshole Owl-thing

Rez Date: Feb 18, 2007
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

[QUOTE=prinţesă nina;41655]1) sue linden lab[
2. Destroy platform
3. ??????
4. Profit!
/QUOTE]

/fixed
Charlemagne Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Noting this place here because I have seen the results as have others I know-

http://www.slbiz2life.com/

Full Disclosure: They do reward members for recommending people so I purposefully DID NOT include the page that would make me the recommended person automatically so that no one thinks that is the reason I am mentioning them.

It is my personal opinion that this is a viable and effective advertising medium for your business, caveat emptor and all that.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Well as Ama knows, I am using this service as well, and so far I think it works well. They offer different useful things, and not every tool will suit every business owner, but in general they have something for everyone. I spend a few thousand lindens per month there and so far I think it pays off.

Inworld store:

Also for copy/mod/no-transfer, and no-copy/mod/transfer animations (both cuddles & erotic)!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

I am resurrecting this little zombie because with RA gone some of us avid posters to THIS thread there may want a new place- wil post this link there and hope they come.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Oh well, it's a learning process..

Talon Faire is partnered with Sophistishapes in an ongoing shape/lash promo that has worked quite nicely for us both. Last month we rented space in Best Of SL Mall for quite a chunk of cash figuring we would get massive exposure and it would be a great ROI... Not so much - I had ONE sale and my partner had zip -

Needless to say, we are not renewing.

Satellite stores are a gamble and usually only garner you the exposure and perhaps a few LM's - I am going to be looking at one more place this coming week simply because it is radically different from any other place I have had shops or boards- a BDSM Nightclub - if nothing else, it coul dbe interesting

So- anyone one doing alright in a satellite or main mall locale? I have never had any luck at any mall I have ever rented at other than one or two passing sales- Anyone have tips on being noticed in a mall setting?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Well long time ago I decided against mall locations, since they simply never seem to pay off. Getting offers now I then, I politely refuse them all. The funniest are the: I like you stuff sooo much... without a single purchase. If they really like it so much, let them first show that ny actually buying it

Recently I decided to rent a sattelite store for my plants though, at HoneyBears Mall. And to my surprise, so far the rent seems to be covered by either purchases, or people TP-ing from the sattelite to my mainstore.

As a small plug: I did create a landmark tracker that actually keeps track of people taking a landmark. At the moment I am rescripting that device to do even more then that :-) After putting it up for sale at XStreet is became one of my popular products there, as it shows exactly if people do what many mall owners say: Take a landmark to your mainstore.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Beezle Warburton
DURR HURR

Rez Date: Oct 24, 2006
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Flatley View Post
Well long time ago I decided against mall locations, since they simply never seem to pay off. Getting offers now I then, I politely refuse them all. The funniest are the: I like you stuff sooo much... without a single purchase. If they really like it so much, let them first show that ny actually buying it
"If you like my stuff that much -- go get some commission vendors off of Apez and leave me alone "

Old 02-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

For the sake of giving myself high blood pressure, I stupidly enough looked in that poor excuse for a forum LL has foisted on us- there was a blatant advert about some neko thing or another and a kind and helpful member posted this:

No Advertising or Commercial Promotion

Except as expressly provided below under “Exceptions,” we do not allow advertising or the promotion of specific merchants, marketplace listings, products, services, or commercial websites, including offers to trade, “wanted” posts, charitable solicitations, and posts on affiliate or referral programs. “Advertising” and “commercial promotion” include promotion of your own business as well as others’ businesses. A persistent focus on a particular merchant, listing, product, service, or commercial website is also considered “advertising” or “commercial promotion.” A “commercial website” is a website where you can buy, sell, or trade any product or service.

We expressly prohibit posts that enable, encourage, or instruct others to leave Second Life, the Xstreet SL marketplace, or any Linden Lab property so that they can sell, buy, or trade on non-Linden Lab websites, virtual worlds, or online services that include the sale or trade of products or services. Included in this prohibition are posts promoting or advertising to buy, sell, or trade outside a Linden Lab property (such as Second Life or the Xstreet SL marketplace), and posts linking to websites that include offers to trade, sell, or purchase outside a Linden Lab property.

Exceptions:

Exceptions for Designated Commerce Forums: In the Commerce forums titled "Services: List your Second Life related services", "Employment: Help wanted and work wanted", "Wanted: Are you searching for something you just can't find? Post it here!" you may advertise or promote your own products and services for Second Life, your stores within Second Life, and your Xstreet SL marketplace listings, provided that you do not advertise or promote any sale, purchase, or trade outside a Linden Lab property (such as Second Life or the Xstreet SL marketplace), and you do not link to websites that include offers to trade, sell, or purchase outside a Linden Lab property. If you’re posting to these designated Commerce forums, you may use SLurl links to your inworld stores or links to your marketplace listings on the Xstreet SL website, as well as links to your personal website, so long as the website does not include any offers to trade, sell, or purchase outside a Linden Lab property as described above.

Exceptions for Profiles and Signatures: The purpose of the Second Life web profile and signature text is to tell others something about you and your posts that they will find interesting, pleasant, funny, thoughtful, or helpful. The profile and signature are not for advertising or commercial promotion. However, you may include in your profile photo your company logo or the name of your business. You may also associate tags with your profile, and your tag may be the name of your business inworld or on Xstreet SL. In your signature text, you may include your business name, SLurl links to your inworld stores, links to your Xstreet SL marketplace listings, as well as links to your personal website, so long as the website does not include any offers to trade, sell, or purchase outside a Linden Lab property as described above.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Prawnyloks Parker
Prim Fiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthim Talon View Post
For the sake of giving myself high blood pressure, I stupidly enough looked in that poor excuse for a forum LL has foisted on us
Been lurking over there a little myself Am. Jury's still out for me, although I can't say I'm overly keen.
The main problem for me is keeping track of too many forums, things have now become too fragmented, people have disappeared in various different directions which was inevitable I suppose... will just have to make the best of what we've got and go with that.
Hope to see a few of you over here from time to time, but I guess I'll probably lurk more than I post. Will try my best to keep on top with this thread though.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/nuclear/236/240/21 (main store)
or http://slurl.com/secondlife/huntsman/162/112/115
Prawnyloks Parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Hoping to bring more folks over as I bump into them - it wd be nice to have fresh input and follow how we are doing biz wise

Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Prawnyloks Parker
Prim Fiddler

Quote:
Hoping to bring more folks over as I bump into them - it wd be nice to have fresh input and follow how we are doing biz wise
Wonder if it'd be worth posting a link to this thread over at the "New Place", but not sure what the rules are over there about that sort of thing?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Mom posted one to the forum a while back i believe it's still there- but when u think about it - what's the point? Things get eaten up and lost and swallowed.

I spent sometiem talking to Phil today, next time i see him on line will invite him over- I didn't think of it today.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
Marcel Flatley
Lord of the Chance

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Currently I am thinking of joining the 60 linden sunday thingy, to try out if it generates extra revenue. Will keep you people posted if it does.

As for advertising, I only use adboards from slbiz2life, where you pay per click. Plus a few SL classifieds of course. Probably I should do more promotion, but I am busy enough as it is. Like everybody, I did try MM boards, but apart from getting higher traffic, it hardly meant sales. Because of that, I deleted my board and left the groups where I advertised the MM board in.

Well how does it go for the rest (usualy I do an update once in a while). Very good in fact, especially the animations. Already have 199 new ones on the shelve, I am planning to release as individual full perm animations. Well, technically they will be couple and threesome animations of course Really want to expland that market.
Furthermore I opened up a sattelite store for my plants, in HoneyBears mall. Even though I do not get tons of visitors, the ones that do get in are often either buying, or taking a LM to my mainstore and buy there. Actually this is the first mall-rental that ever made its own rent or more

As for future plans, as said I will concentrate on the animation business, though first I want to release a couple of sex-couches.
Also I will attend the Cartel Expo, which will be from few 21 to 28. Will let you all know the exact location for those who do not know the Hangout yet, leter on :-)

Thats all folks!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

With Marcel's suggestion. I signed up for this, which I wil add to my blog and other places -
http://www.avatrian.com/Peek360/viewer.php?id=1563 This option - http://www.slbiz2life.com/en/slpano.html, is not free but should prove better quality -

It is not great but it is pretty cool and it was free- what I do with it is my direction. I just took out an advert at http://moolto.ning.com/ which is really big with the fashion world who is my target audience - I have still my advert @ SLU also, about to rerun -

These things are tools - they garner exposure and one hopes - sales - as long as you are seen...

That said, my advert budget is full and overflowing for this month- next month I will trim it back to compensate, maybe - but we shall see what net results I get out of it.

I have high hopes for Steam: The Hunt also, starting in March- I made a nice female hair and a nice male ponytail- I havent posted pix of the guys hair cause i have to work the advert up - a dear friend subjected himself to being my model- (Thank you dear) andI will show the pix later. I am working on some others too - for the ladies for now- that I want to have up in time for the hunt, in case Hunters get to wanting more of the same-

OK, that's whats what for now -

Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #20
Czari
Fiery Redhead

Rez Date: May 01, 2007
My Mood:

Quote:
So- anyone one doing alright in a satellite or main mall locale? I have never had any luck at any mall I have ever rented at other than one or two passing sales- Anyone have tips on being noticed in a mall setting?
Hi, Amar and everyone! Finally got my derriere over here and am so happy this thread has been continued.

As for your question, my only store is in a mall location, but I really don't consider it a mall. For those not from the original RA "Advice on Sales" thread, Rhiannon Boronski, part-owner of Primal Arts, wanted to "pay it forward" and redesigned her huge location to add initially 8 (I think) mall-type shops for people just getting started (which most of us where at the time) and due to demand has now added a second story to that. She refuses payment for the spaces and they are larger than the average mall space. I again wish to give Rhia a huge "thank you" and hug for her generosity and kindness.

The tp in spot lands in a large, open courtyard, and an arrow points to my location, easily seen from the landing point anyway. I'm assuming each person's "arrow/beam" points to their respective stores. These spaces are a bit of a distance from the Primal Arts store and the entire atmosphere is spacious and airy, not like many of the "bunched up" tiers of mall spaces that never rez that I frequently encounter.

Unlike others from the thread who have worked hard to grow their businesses, at this point I am content with that one in-world shop and Xstreet, where I get 99% of my sales. (I've GOT to get my products in my slapt box as well.) So, I have received my sales in one of those two places. In fact, just today I received a sale from my in-world store. Now keep in mind that I have done absolutely NO advertising nor promotions for months (which are really crucial, especially in getting ones shop known) and am still getting sales which I can only attribute now to my past efforts and word of mouth.

In World Shoppe

SL Marketplace
Czari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 AM   #21
Czari
Fiery Redhead

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnyloks Parker View Post
Been lurking over there a little myself Am. Jury's still out for me, although I can't say I'm overly keen.
The main problem for me is keeping track of too many forums, things have now become too fragmented, people have disappeared in various different directions which was inevitable I suppose... will just have to make the best of what we've got and go with that.
Hope to see a few of you over here from time to time, but I guess I'll probably lurk more than I post. Will try my best to keep on top with this thread though.
Hiya Prawny! Good to see you here.

I've read a few of the posts at the blogorums and can honestly say I'm totally underwhelmed. One post hit me at a particularly bad moment today so I didn't mince words.

Beyond that, I too was hoping the forums wouldn't become completely fragmented. As this thread had become really the only one I read consistently, I was so pleased when Amar said she had begun it over here, thus...here I will stay.

Looking forward to keeping the good ideas coming

Last edited by Czari; 02-18-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Something I'd Wish I'd Done
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #22
Czari
Fiery Redhead

My Mood:
Default Something I'd Wish I'd Done

For anyone considering beginning a SL business a suggestion I might offer: have one avatar solely identified with the business, including creating all the products, and a second avatar as your "social side."

When I began SL I migrated over from IRC with a rp group I'd been with for going on 15 years. That was the *only* reason I came to SL. I truly thought SL was just a 3D social venue.

When I began to see the many, many other paths one could take within SL, I said, quite adamantly (I really do need to stop the adamant thing as invariably I change my mind down the road ) that I would NEVER become a Premium member, NEVER own land and NEVER have a business. I honestly didn't see the need for any of that at the time since I was living on rented estate land with my rp group, earned lindens to pay my share of said rent as a Cigar Girl in a Vintage 40's nightclub and had no, none, zilch, nada interest in learning to build.

Errrrmmmmm...here it is almost three years later and I have now done all three.

The reason I suggest the separation is (1) for groups. With the current 25 group limit (despite the subscribomatics), a business avatar with room dedicated to using their group space for advertising type groups is a good thing, and even then can become full quickly; with one avatar, the balancing act between business groups and social/hobby groups is almost impossible; (2) the avatar separation provides peace. I "know" quite a few people on SL just from taking classes, teaching, social events, etc., but I keep my friends list very short on purpose. Even then, right when I'm in a mood to create, even with my "busy" sign up, invariably that is when a friend will contact me to chat, etc. and if I haven't seen them in a long time it's hard for me to say no. One or two people who are on SL mainly to socialize will even say (when I explain that I'm in the middle of getting an ad done on a deadline but would LOVE to see them soon),"Well, let me know when you're not working on your "business thing." And compared to other people, I am not working on my "business thing" half or even a quarter of what I could be doing. *sighs*

So, if I could redo, I would use a dedicated avatar that didn't socialize for my store and I would imagine most people on my friends list would be customers. I've actually toyed with the idea of beginning a new avatar for my business, but, even though my store is small, I do feel I have some branding and recognition, besides which I'd be, at least initially, selling the same products, which could cause a brewhaha with people thinking I'm copying someone's work.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?
The following user says thanks:

Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #23
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Czrai, the group thing can be troublesome- numberwise I mean- I have two alts, both named TalonFaire as a first name, that do the advertising on groups, once I ran out of room. But this me is the me that is known and the alts proclaim they are me in the profiles. I don't really find any trouble myself in the diffenrece betwseen socializing and building to be honest. But everyone is different so it may just be it works for me. I actually enjoy group chats and banter while I build to just building alone.

I would agree regarding brand recognition- I am the only one who builds for TF.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #24
Czari
Fiery Redhead

My Mood:

The idea of two advertising alts is a good idea, Amar. Hmmm, trying on "Czari'sAttic" as a first name....lol.

But yes, on the second point, I need complete quiet when I design (or read - I can't have the TV on and read at the same time). It has something to do with concentration and whether one is an auditory, visual or physical learner. Regardless, I pull my hair out if I multi-task so that part is sticky.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
Lexxi

Quote:
Just a note: I regularly wander around "malls" that are adjacent to stores that I like, just to see if I spot anything I might like. I've found many stores that way. And there is one store I like that it is just simply impossible to shop at their main store because of lag and the fact they have about 900,000 products. Outlets give you the new and a few others to sort through.

Oh, and the above malls around stores I like, or next to. I mean specifically stores that have their own sim and have little shops outside their stores for others to set up and sell stuff.

So I offer that advice for advertising your business. Outlets do work. Oh, and while Szentsakaza (gah, I cannot remember name but it is like that), seems to have the same products as they had in 2007, that "1 free outfit for new residents" is a great idea, especially the part where you have to go to their main store to redeem, or get (if you touch the board they ask if you want that item as your free thingie; next time they don't ask, if I remember right; I am not sure how they set that up). Point though is maybe having something like that (which Gurl6 also has, though that is delivered directly to avatar from creator), where a newbie can have one of your products of their choice.
Lexxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #26
Lexxi

Quote:
Currently I am thinking of joining the 60 linden sunday thingy, to try out if it generates extra revenue. Will keep you people posted if it does.
Ah, the special days. I had forgotten. I used to blog about them, Monday kind of died, it was Beat the Monday Blues, 25L Tuesday (or, as I thought of it, Gor Tuesday), Humpday (69L Wednesday), Thursday used to not have anything but it now has 35L Thursday and 59L Thursday (two different groups), I've forgotten what Friday is called or price, There's a saturday one, Weekend Fever (Saturday and Sunday), and 60L Sunday.

I got burned out on SL and so blog died. But I had all those covered from late 2009 to early 2010. Not that I let many know about the blog. heh. One thing to note: I gave up looking at 60L Sunday even after I stopped blogging it. Why? Because there are almost always 200+ stores involved. Even though there are pictures, I just couldn't go through all of them.

I'd suggest trying to get into Weekend Fever for that are interested in this type of thing. It does work, and I have found many places going through these special day days. I suggest Weekend Fever because it tends to start Friday and go through Sunday, though it is supposed to be Saturday/Sunday (I think).

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #27
Lexxi

*whispers*I not talk about my own business, I pretend it not exist, it pretend I not exist, we stay sane that way*/whispers*

Oh darn. Ok, I will mention one think: I haven't been involved in an art expo since 2007. Why? Probably because I got heavily involved with the art people in 2007. Then I changed avatars (personal reasons I won't go into here). I'm not sure if they think Lexxi stole Sonia's work, don't care about my work, or what, but I haven't been involved in an art expo since 2007. My point is: Be very careful when you start a business. If you need to switch, start completely over (with new products, everything), or keep that old avatar as the business avatar (or whichever avatar you have as the business avatar, keep as business avatar).

It can work, though, I suppose. Carter/Madhu seemed to get it to work. Switching avatars. I think I failed in my switch.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #28
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Thanks for the input Lexxi - I had not thought about that- folks wandering about and discovering shops. Seems I should haave as I have done it myself but I guess I haven't been shopping much lately and had discounted it. Thanks too for the Weekend Fever suggestion - wil look into it.

When I first started using the MM board it worked out nicely but am about to leave it be. Haven't been getting much action on it lately, then again, I havent been advvertising in the MM gourps either- got kinda burned out on that takes a lot of effort to call out the boards several tiems a day.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #29
jackalennui
>o< spider power!

My Mood:

Quote:
I've tried the satellite store / mall location thing in various incarnations.

What worked for me:

1. Finding a rental in a place that caters exactly to my target audience and has an active community. In my case, that means Caledon. I have three satellite stores there, of which one is doing good (which means the other two will get the axe soon). The key point here is the established, active community - for those who don't know Caledon, it's a collection of RP-ish sims, and there's always people around.
2. Cross-promotion. I share a sim with 5th & Oxford, while we do not have the same target audience, there's always a trickle of cross-over traffic.

What did not work for me: Malls of any kind. I've tried small malls, big malls, general malls, specialized malls, even a gorean mall - I was lucky if I made the rental fee back. Which, in my case, averaged to maybe a sale a week.

To continue the thread with some questions of my own:

The list of fashion feeds was very helpful to me! In a related subject, does anyone have a list of fashion blogs that run ads?
jackalennui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #30
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Hello Jack- a lot of the fashion feeds do run adverts- I have one running on MOOLTO and Pixelook right now, but iheartsl has space, as do many - re your target- if you are in Caledon I am assuming a Steam/Victorian target- did you sign up for Steam: The Hunt? It could be too late as it starts March 1 - but u never know... IM me in world as I do not have the coordinators names handy ` be happy to share same with u if u r interested

Old 02-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #31
jackalennui
>o< spider power!

My Mood:

Quote:
Hello Jack- a lot of the fashion feeds do run adverts- I have one running on MOOLTO and Pixelook right now, but iheartsl has space, as do many - re your target- if you are in Caledon I am assuming a Steam/Victorian target- did you sign up for Steam: The Hunt? It could be too late as it starts March 1 - but u never know... IM me in world as I do not have the coordinators names handy ` be happy to share same with u if u r interested
Thanks for the offer - I recently got an invite to a steampunk hunt which might have been that one, but declined it due to lack of time. Also I'm not yet convinced about the effectiveness of hunts - the ones I've followed (as consumer) were too long and full of really bad shops that I wouldn't want to be associated with, after a few good ones at the start.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #32
Dale Innis
total bitchin' rock star

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Signs with bewbies on them.
Dale Innis is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #33
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Personally - I cannot stand hunts! Too short an attention span to hunt for anything But the folks do like them and as far as the steam thing- it got me to look at places I had not seen before. And at least it's different - as far as folks shopping, to be honest, I didn't see a huge amount of sales from it- but I didn't care then nor now too much, because both times it stretched me into making something I had not done before.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #34
jackalennui
>o< spider power!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Innis View Post
Signs with bewbies on them.
Noted

Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #35
Lexxi

There are several live musicians that have songs that they sing after the audience hold up signs that say something like boobies. And one venue I was at had that sign up on the roof.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #36
Prawnyloks Parker
Prim Fiddler

Still lurking here in the background, been lurking a little over at the blogorums too and have to agree with Czari that I'm pretty underwhelmed too. Such a shame things had to go the way they did, but then that's SL!

Anyway, will be away on RL holidays soon, but when I get back I think it's about time the BO-Xchange had another update. Some folk put Valentines adverts in last time so they'll need updating and I think there's another addition too... will post here when I get back in a couple of weeks to remind everyone of the update.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #37
Amaranthim Talon
Transient Being...

Enjoy your holiday!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #38
Prawnyloks Parker
Prim Fiddler

Quote:
Enjoy your holiday!
Cheers Am, I intend to

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #39
Czari
Fiery Redhead

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi View Post
Ah, the special days. I had forgotten. I used to blog about them, Monday kind of died, it was Beat the Monday Blues, 25L Tuesday (or, as I thought of it, Gor Tuesday), Humpday (69L Wednesday), Thursday used to not have anything but it now has 35L Thursday and 59L Thursday (two different groups), I've forgotten what Friday is called or price, There's a saturday one, Weekend Fever (Saturday and Sunday), and 60L Sunday...

...I gave up looking at 60L Sunday even after I stopped blogging it. Why? Because there are almost always 200+ stores involved. Even though there are pictures, I just couldn't go through all of them.

I'd suggest trying to get into Weekend Fever for that are interested in this type of thing. It does work, and I have found many places going through these special day days. I suggest Weekend Fever because it tends to start Friday and go through Sunday, though it is supposed to be Saturday/Sunday (I think).
Thanks for that suggestion, Lexxi. I'd been seeing several of the 60L signs around SL and didn't realize there were other similar groups as well. Will definitely check those out!!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #40
Czari
Fiery Redhead

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalennui View Post
Thanks for the offer - I recently got an invite to a steampunk hunt which might have been that one, but declined it due to lack of time. Also I'm not yet convinced about the effectiveness of hunts - the ones I've followed (as consumer) were too long and full of really bad shops that I wouldn't want to be associated with, after a few good ones at the start.
I've only done a couple of hunts, but I can personally vouch for the quality of shops that participate in the STEAM! hunt. It was absolutely AMAZING the quality of products when it ran the first time - including an entire steampunk-type house.

Having not participated in it as a merchant, Amar would be better able to provide info on hunt effort vs. sales. A list of hunt locales in their proper order were provided and updated as the hunt progressed. I made notes on it re: shops to which I wanted to return and the products. I returned to one shop just last night (this has now been at least several months if not more from the first hunt) and purchased an item or two.