Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Mainland: Second Life® > Second Life® Group Forums > Darkmere

Downsizing the MFZone in Darkmere
Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1
Unhappy Downsizing the MFZone in Darkmere

Apologies for both the spam-like nature of this message, and its abruptness - but we need to do something fairly quickly, and there are a number of people potentially involved. Its also important we get this right, so please yell at me if I have anything wrong below.

Currently in Darkmere/Clearwing, the MFZone group has land totalling to 4455 m^2. This is split across the following plots:

Code:
(1) 1536 (MFZone Clubhouse and surrounds)
(2) 1024 (Jen's art gallery)
(3) 1024 (Willow's plot, currently empty I think)
(4) 512 (Chaz's old plot)
(5) 352 (I couldn't find that one I confess)
Tier contributers supporting the above are:

Code:
1024 Margaret
1024 Cale
978 Jen
512 Joy
512 Willow
Here's where things get tricky. No-one has heard from Margaret for ages, so we probably have to work on the assumption that her tier will just go "poof" one day when her premium accounts expire. Jen, I *think*, has indicated that she needs to pull out too. I only upped my tier to 1024 a few months as a temporary measure to tide us over our last Greek-like-debt hurdle.

So, my best guess as to what our long-term tier looks like is:

Code:
512 Cale
512 Joy
512 Willow
and the question is then how to allocate that 3*512*1.1 = 1689 m^2

My *suggestion* is that I'd like to hang on to the MFZone Clubhouse. I think of Margaret everytime I see it, and it was built as a social hang-out for one and all. That however would mean dropping Willow's plot in the southern portion of the sim, and Jen's gallery. That said, the actual clubhouse itself is not *that* big - if we moved it on the plot, we could possibly free up a little space for maybe some paintings in a garden or something else that Jen and Willow could work on (prims permitting too I guess).

There's also a non-MFZone 384 m^2 plot literally out the front door of the club-house. This has not been an issue thus far, given its ownership by the delectable Ms Brink. But Beebo is looking to downsize too, and who knows what this land will end up looking like. We really should pick it up, but given the above numbers I don't see how we can.

Which brings me to my last point. Many people on Darkmere are currently reducing their tier, and at the moment we're all trying to manage that as separate groups. Would there be any advantage in attempting to consolidate the remaining land around a "central core"?
Cale Vinson is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Remember when working things out, Cale you get a 10% bonus for group land which gives you 1689m in total.

Also check your prim counts.

You may find, for example the clubhouse is utilising prims from elsewhere.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Yes, I would like to drop my tier- I hate to do it, because I want to be community-helping, but for the longest time I haven't done a blessed thing in SL and I really need to focus my energies elsewhere atm.

I also do not have one single clue about how to do so- I had to be walked through the process of setting this all up to begin with. So I need a Second Life coach to help me off my gallery, etc, one of these days [I just paid the bill, so I'm assuming we have a couple of weeks to sort this out].

Any volunteers? pm me, plz.

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user offers hugs:

Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Yes, I would like to drop my tier- I hate to do it, because I want to be community-helping, but for the longest time I haven't done a blessed thing in SL and I really need to focus my energies elsewhere atm.
There are other communities. Like here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I also do not have one single clue about how to do so- I had to be walked through the process of setting this all up to begin with. So I need a Second Life coach to help me off my gallery, etc, one of these days [I just paid the bill, so I'm assuming we have a couple of weeks to sort this out].

Any volunteers? pm me, plz.
Alas, I'm not the droid you are looking for when it comes to this sort of stuff.

In fact, I vividly remember the night when we first set up the MFZone, transferring the land from Luc. Margaret seemed to understand the process mostly, Joy at least had an idea, but I was no help at all. And as I repeatedly stuffed up setttings and hit wrong buttons, Luc kept wandering around, saying "FFS, I thought you people would not be completely clueless!"
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
2 users have offered hugs:

Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I have had a noble volunteer come forward- who shall remain nameless lest they become further "volunteered" against their will.

So apparently I'll be divesting on Monday sometime.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Beebo Brink
Uppity Alt

Selling off the 512m parcel of mine in the far corner of the sim will drop me down one tier level, which is a start.

That leaves the 384m in front of the MFZone clubhouse that would wipe out my last tier payment debt. Given the size of the plot, I'm presuming that it would be bought for prims rather than to build something on it. But I'd rather not put that assumption to the test.

I can keep about 100m of that parcel using my group tier bonus. With luck we may be able to cobble together enough small tier bonus patches to work the remainder of that parcel back into the clubhouse.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Willow Matthews
will be whimsical.

Rez Date: Jul 19, 2006
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 

I haven't used my plot in ages (I told Margaret that before she went missing) So don't hang on to that for me.

I haven't logged in for ages, but you never know, I might someday. My membership is paid up until August I think? The MFZone group is welcome to use my tier until then, I'll let Cale know if I decide to go basic.

Hope Margaret is okay, it's a bit of a worry that no one has heard a word.
Willow Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
8 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

Rez Date: Apr 18, 2005
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Sally Rosebud Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

I'll probably have to get rid of some land in August as well. Perhaps if we all had one group instead of 3 or 4 it would work out better.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Kristian

Rez Date: Feb 26, 2005
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Strategic undertiering can be your friend. That's all I'm saying.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Rosebud View Post
Perhaps if we all had one group instead of 3 or 4 it would work out better.
This may well be the case.

Can we do an audit here of the Darkmerians who are at least "somewhat" active in SL?

Joy, are you still active? To continue my vague Star-Wars reference from earlier, as far as the MFZone goes you may be "our only hope".

Old 02-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Joy Honey
damnable hitch, meanie

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joy Honey
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I pop in from time to time (no one seems to be on when I do pop on). I don't mind keeping my 512 active at all. I believe the Ls I get for being premium covers the tier payment

"Listen, cop, I'm on the verge of disliking you."

One of the hardest things to believe is the abysmal depth of human stupidity. - Robert A. Heinlein
Joy Honey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Vinson View Post
This may well be the case.

Can we do an audit here of the Darkmerians who are at least "somewhat" active in SL?

Joy, are you still active? To continue my vague Star-Wars reference from earlier, as far as the MFZone goes you may be "our only hope".
I haven't logged in for months. If it went to someone in the "collective" I'd gladly sell my plot

Old 02-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Sally Rosebud
Will it ever end?

Rez Date: Apr 18, 2005
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Sally Rosebud Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Oh, I still log in a few times a week.
Sally Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Beebo Brink
Uppity Alt

I've sold my corner plots to Journey, so I've dropped my tier by a whopping $3/mo!!1!

That leaves the Mfume Clubhouse porch land. I can cover almost half of it with my group bonus, so that leaves only about 200m.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Also check your prim counts.

You may find, for example the clubhouse is utilising prims from elsewhere.
This is a good point, so I nicked in-world to check ....

OK, "About Land" for the MFZone Teahouse plot shows the following:

Code:
Region capacity: 760 out of 1018 (258 available)
Parcel land capacity: 351 (which is presumably 3 * 117)
Parcel land impact: 305
So it looks like the Teahouse does "fit", prim-wise into a 1536 m^2 plot, and my master-plan earlier is at least feasible.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #16
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Beebo:

I fear that the MFZone Management Group (tm) displays all the responsiveness and adaptability of a UN sub-sub-committee. After dinner. Indeed, after port.

So, whilst I very much appreciate the time you've taken to "do the right thing" in regards to your own tiering down in Darkmere, I think from here on in you should proceed as you need to without reference to us.

Other Darkmeriens:

I think there's potentially a lot to be gained by going to just one or two shared land-groups - at the moment we're "patchy" across the entire sim, as one unit we could grab a rectangular block with well-defined borders within which we'd be relatively safe from potential "neighbour blight". But it would also be a lot of work to rationalise the land, and I confess I'm not putting up my hand to lead this (partly out of laziness, partly because I'm having net issues at the moment). If someone else wants to, great, if not the status quo wins.

MFZoner's:

Having had further conversations, and received no complaints, my plan, is to first wait for Jen to give us the "all clear" on releasing her plot. When that happens, I'll remove her, Willow's, and Chaz's plots from the MFZone, so that we're down to the "core" 1536 m^2 tier that we know we can actually suppport long-term (as discussed earlier).

===============

Posted publically here for transparency and comment.

And error-correcting.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Vinson View Post
I fear that the MFZone Management Group (tm) displays all the responsiveness and adaptability of a UN sub-sub-committee. After dinner. Indeed, after port.
They are invading Darkmere???
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
Kavik Brock
n00bing it up in a game

My Mood:

I've mentioned this in other (similar) threads, but just going to throw this out once more...

There is land in the general area of which you speak that is mine (although the land owner name is Nava Valois (my RL wife's SL name).

I am going to put it up for sale as I just don't need the monthly expense when neither of us is actively involved in SL these days.

If the land is of interest to the Darkmere group, please let me know and I will slice up as is possible (if wanted). Otherwise, I'm just putting the block up for sale as a whole piece sometime between now and Sunday.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #19
Beebo Brink
Uppity Alt

Final update on my Clearwing land:

I've abandoned about 280m of land and it will be auto-converted for sale momentarily. My land bonus tier was able to cover a 154m strip that I sliced out next to the Mfume parcel so that the clubhouse would have a bit more porch land in the (unlikely) event that anyone ever buys the odd parcel. Judging by the map of the area, there is land for sale everywhere, so I'm not too worried about someone swooping in to buy it and building an eyesore.

I'm now down to zero tier fpr a modest parcel covered by my combined Premium tier allotments, so my mainland situation is stable.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #20
Willow Matthews
will be whimsical.

Rez Date: Jul 19, 2006
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 

Cale, my premium is covered by my stipend, and I worked it out that if I need to pay more (cos shoes and stuff are yummy) then even if I'm broke in RL my tax will cover the odd few bucks at that time of year.

I'd say you can probably count on my tier from now until Philip explodes with niceness and the grid follows suit.

I know, I know. Thank me later.

Last edited by Willow Matthews; 02-26-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: unless I start logging in again and get a fetish for mesh.....
Willow Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

OK, I actually logged in tonight, and made the changes agreed to above.

Details recorded here for transparency, justice, and the American Way.

Started the night with: 3379 / 4448 / -1069

(where that's: land-contributed, land-in-use, and land-available).

Note the negative number for land-available, which was expected as Jen had tiered down (and warned me of that fact).

I then:

Removed Jen's 1024 from the MFZone.
Removed Willow's 1024 from the MFZone.
Removed Chaz's 512 from the MFZone.
Removed mystery-person-X's 352 from the MFZone.
Reduced my tier contribution to the MFZone from 1024 down to 512.

That left us with: 2816 / 1536 / 1280.

That "1280" land-available looks like a lot, but 1024 of that is coming from Margaret, and could disappear at any time.

I saw the "protective" land that Beebo had carved out for us above. Thank you Beebo, that was (most typically) kind and thoughtful of you.

I noted that in front of that, but still very close to the teahouse, you had another 240 plot, this time for sale. I bought that, and deeded it to the MFZone, to gain a little more "front door space". But of course, if at any point you need/want to get rid of that 154 "porch" plot you're effectively holding for us, let me know and we'll do some sort of purchase or swap immediately.

All of that leaves the MFZone with: 2816 / 1776 / 1040

which is viable as long as Joy, Willow, and I stay around.

Finally, I set the "Can Build" option for MFZone land from "anyone" to "group only" for security appropriate to never-present landlords.
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Thank you for handling all of that, Cale, and again, I'm sorry to all that I can't continue to contribute right now.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #23
Kavik Brock
n00bing it up in a game

My Mood:

Due to lack of interest (anytime I post in these Darkmere threads); I'll be posting the land I have in Clearwing for sale to anyone.

Chaz and several other people have items (nearly all allowed prims) on the land I own, via Nava Valois, so don't be shocked when you get a clump of items returned from that name.

I was going to put it up for sale this past wknd, but didn't have time, so I'm going to try to get it completed this week.

Not sure why I continue to be ignored when I've posted about this (maybe you don't recall who I am?), but this is the last warning.
Kavik Brock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
Cale Vinson

Awards Showcase
28th 

Kavik, I could be completely off base here, but my perception is that a lot of people are looking to drop tier, no one's looking to increase tier, and hence, coupled with a few people who have simply disappeared, there isn't really that much left to talk about.

3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Kavik, the only reason I didn't respond is that I wasn't in the market to buy, and figgered your biz and mine weren't the same, ergo I should keep my pointy nose out of it.

That said, I felt it important to post a picture of my daughter wearing her Christmas sock monkey hat [and "matching" Frankenstein gloves]

4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie: