Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3
Default Some Decent Kitchen Pix

My kitchen was in decent shape this morning so I took some pix of the progress that's been done.

Reason for it's neat state (well, it usually is ok, except for one corner which I'll explain in the photo) is that I have an appraiser coming this week for an update because I refinanced for a lower rate on my mortgage AND am taking out more money so that I can just finish up work and be done with it. I hope

Anyway, the kitchen is more or less finished. The big things are done but it needs some tweaking. First of all, there is no backsplash. Money has been an issue and a backsplash is NOT a priority. I also have not found one I like at all yet. This morning I found one online but don't know the manufacturer and I'm hoping the person who posted it on their Flickr responds to me.

Then, there is the fact that we had a leak in the addition part of the kitchen over the winter (near the slider) causing water damage to the new ceiling over the large pantry closet in the corner. I hope that all it will take is some minor scraping and sanding, and a new paint job (which the whole kitchen needs anyway since a) I decided I don't like the color and b) the ceiling over the fridge area had to be repaired when the electrician misplaced one of the recessed lights and had to move it).

Also there is a corner which has not been designed yet. Right now I have a retro mid-century Modern Danish table there which does not fit at all and has become a catch-all for papers, a place to put stuff to be recycled and miscellaneous house junk. Awful (it's cleaned up in the picture below but still not perfect). I can't decide if a small banquette, a small round table or a breakfast bar of the same counter material is the best way to go - all of which will be costly of course. I have 2 cabinets left over due to miscalculations of either the kitchen designer or contractor (nobody would fess up) which I hope can be used on that wall - once of which has glass fronts. It would be nice to have even more storage because even though it appears I have a lot (and I do) I can use more.

Lastly, there were several mistakes made by the person who put in the cabinets that really have pissed me off and I need someone to correct these (I didn't pay him in full because of this). There is some wood trim which still needs to be put in at the ceiling at the addition area, the light rails were not done right, there is no 1/4 round at the base of the cabinets yet leaving an unfinished look; and other stuff. Nobody else sees these mistakes, but I know they are there and considering what I paid for the cabinets (and the kitchen) I think that it just does not have the finished look that it should.

Oh and there is grout in the corners which needs to be scraped off. It seemed like it was cleaned off fine but then I kept finding areas where there was too much of it. Maybe if the 1/4 round was on, I wouldn't notice it - but because it isn't; I do.

Forgot - window treatments, of course. The ones I have are $7 from Home
Depot that stick on lol. But, they work

OK, here's the photos.

Ok, here's the un-done corner. We NEVER eat in the kitchen at all because of this. We put cable hook-up on purpose, thinking we'd have breakfast here at least, but because of the current set-up, it's just not appealing at all and besides, we don't have a TV in there yet anyway

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
10 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:
5 users say thanks:

Old 08-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Gosh that's nothing that a 60 dollar target pine table (heh -- prolly find something for 20 bucks at a yard sale) and a couple of 5 dollar potted palms couldn't rectify in a hurry.

i covet your kitchen
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:
7 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
Gosh that's nothing that a 60 dollar target pine table (heh -- prolly find something for 20 bucks at a yard sale) and a couple of 5 dollar potted palms couldn't rectify in a hurry.

i covet your kitchen
Thanks Viv I spent a lot of time planning the space. I wanted it to feel like it belonged to the house, to the finishes already in place. Pays to work in the field, let me tell you.

I've found tables I like, the problem is they are all too large.

I need something no larger than a 48" if rectangular, and 36" if round due to the area size. I have to be careful about blocking up the egress into the dining room and out the patio door - keeping in mind that chairs take up a minimum of 6" each (I can live with only 2).

I found one online yesterday, reclaimed wood, from India, really different looking for under $200, it was so awesome but it was 5' and it overhung the wall area by 4".

Ikea has a couple of things, obviously modern, which I'm contemplating but I need to take a ride over and look at them in person. I like the idea of mixing really modern with the look of the Craftsman room I was trying to go after.

I've been debating about using a kitchen island instead. Double duty, something on wheels so I can roll it out to the middle of the room as needed.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Shagazm
Radon Detector

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Now that's what I call a kitchen.
Shagazm is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

BTW, this is the picture with the backsplash I found this morning that I think will work for me. The space needs to be lighted up a bit and this looks near perfect. Counter looks very similar to mine.

Opinions?

2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 08-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Uncle Fester
Drank the last Dr. Pepper

My Mood:

Everything looks nice, I think that backsplash is nice but IMO it will clash with your dark cabinets. Maybe one of the photoshop gurus can overlay it and get a better idea of how it will look.

This picture the first thing I seen and its compulsive of me being a electrician, the switch placement. OMG that would drive me nuts.

Was that big cabinet originally going there? I look around the picture and see no real alternative but ugh if you have to work on it it looks like there is absolutely no room to get into it.
Uncle Fester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagazm View Post
Now that's what I call a kitchen.
And lots of cabinets, too. Sigh . . .
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
Everything looks nice, I think that backsplash is nice but IMO it will clash with your dark cabinets. Maybe one of the photoshop gurus can overlay it and get a better idea of how it will look.

This picture the first thing I seen and its compulsive of me being a electrician, the switch placement. OMG that would drive me nuts.

Was that big cabinet originally going there? I look around the picture and see no real alternative but ugh if you have to work on it it looks like there is absolutely no room to get into it.
It does drive me nuts! I can't tell you how many arguments I had with the electrician. He was the ONE contractor who I had real issues with and I made him eat this mistake for locating one of the recessed lights incorrectly (he had the fucking plan of the space and put it OVER the refrigerator, instead of just in front of it).

We had no choice in some instances due to code requirements, the existing studs/beams behind the walls and exiting knob and tube wiring. This house is 95 years old and after the amount of money we had already spent, getting them into better placement would have raised the cost even more (I spent approximately $20,000 on new electrical as it was! Not just for the kitchen, for the house in general)

But I hear ya. The outlets by the microwave? OMFG. I hate them. But there was no other way to fit them in

The big cabinet, was the only kind which would fit there - it's very shallow and provides a lot of storage. We didn't realize that it was going to butt up that close to the wall, however. We had A LOT of problems as construction went on. One of which was the plumbing stack runs down the kitchen right behind where the stove is pretty much (just to the left of it) and there was a hole in it, as we found out. We had to replace said stack with a different size piping, and because of this, bring out the wall 3" which fucked up all the measurements AFTER the cabinets had been ordered. Had to reorder 2 cabinets (did not make me happy I can tell you) because of it in order to make things fit and, because of this, that tall cabinet wound up being too close to the patio door, overhanging the switchplate.

Seriously, this kitchen was a bitch. The construction fucked up my bathroom above (that stack problem necessitated cutting up into the chase that far up). Nothing was plumb, and the walls of the house are made out of terra cotta block to top things off. Really difficult to work with.
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?
The following user offers hugs:

Old 08-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

It's worth every penny, Elora.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Thanks Coco. I actually didn't spend too much on the cabinetry - they are semi-custom, and not the highest grade (although I did put in put out shelves, etc.). The biggest splurge there is that stove, obviously; which I actually got a very good price on because Viking was running a promotion at the time (I got something like $1000 off in total). Also, because I am "in the business" I got special discounts from the appliance center and tile center (if you can prove you work in the design field many places will do this as a courtesy). My contractor was a friend that I'd known through business for at least 15 years, the tile guy installed my last kitchen (I wish he had been able to do this one but was unavailable for that purpose), the plumber was someone I'd used in my other home. I felt like I was in good hands for the most part, except for the electrician who drove me mad and the guy who installed the cabinets.

Overall, I'm pleased but I know, as Fester pointed out, there are places where things went wrong. Well, it's not a $1,000,000 house by any means so I just try hard not to focus on those. It works very well as far as cooking in it, that much I can tell you

Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
Uncle Fester

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elora Lunasea View Post
It does drive me nuts! I can't tell you how many arguments I had with the electrician. He was the ONE contractor who I had real issues with and I made him eat this mistake for locating one of the recessed lights incorrectly (he had the fucking plan of the space and put it OVER the refrigerator, instead of just in front of it).

We had no choice in some instances due to code requirements, the existing studs/beams behind the walls and exiting knob and tube wiring. This house is 95 years old and after the amount of money we had already spent, getting them into better placement would have raised the cost even more (I spent approximately $20,000 on new electrical as it was! Not just for the kitchen, for the house in general)

But I hear ya. The outlets by the microwave? OMFG. I hate them. But there was no other way to fit them in

The big cabinet, was the only kind which would fit there - it's very shallow and provides a lot of storage. We didn't realize that it was going to butt up that close to the wall, however. We had A LOT of problems as construction went on. One of which was the plumbing stack runs down the kitchen right behind where the stove is pretty much (just to the left of it) and there was a hole in it, as we found out. We had to replace said stack with a different size piping, and because of this, bring out the wall 3" which fucked up all the measurements AFTER the cabinets had been ordered. Had to reorder 2 cabinets (did not make me happy I can tell you) because of it in order to make things fit and, because of this, that tall cabinet wound up being too close to the patio door, overhanging the switchplate.

Seriously, this kitchen was a bitch. The construction fucked up my bathroom above (that stack problem necessitated cutting up into the chase that far up). Nothing was plumb, and the walls of the house are made out of terra cotta block to top things off. Really difficult to work with.
I always had the best homeowners and they made sure to let my boss know I listened to them. The electric code is a pain in the ass sometimes. I was taught the homeowner is paying YOU to wire the house the way THEY WANT it within the code standards. I would offer my advise but ultimately it was their decision unless code wouldnt allow it. And knob and tubing wiring..not fun AT ALL.

Kitchens and master baths were always the areas I wanted to the homeowners to walk through with me and make the necessary changes. Those two rooms are key to living well. A nicely setup kitchen makes cooking so much less stressful. And well who wants to poo in a poorly designed bathroom.

I didnt mean to point out that as a problem. I notice those kinds of things, it drives me crazy sometimes. I can tell when the electrician used was stubborn and hard to get along with by how things are wired and placed in the rooms.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

I don't mind you pointing them out at all Fester. I'm in the design business, so I appreciate and understand where you're coming from.

Too bad you don't live near me. I'm about to embark on our master bath remodel in a few months.

Not. Looking. Forward. To. It.

:O

Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
kita_dawg
The sand in Mulch's vag

Awards Showcase
No Fear 
Total Awards: 1

To me, this is the ultimate cabinet solution that I also want in my dream kitchen:

You said it wasn't very deep, so maybe the drawer type are more in order?

Because of where the door hits, the pull out one seems to be the best use. You can reach everything from the stove without having to dance around doors and corners!

I LOVE those because they make ANY pantry, no matter how awkwardly placed or sized, useful and non-frustrating.
kita_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I love the idea of the ledger stone backsplash, I'm just concerned re. whatever you have as underpinnings- there's no problem if you have the cement backer-board up there, but if it's standard gypsum there could be a weight issue.

Also, I myself would go for more color in the backsplash, something that echoes some of the warm hues in your floor tiles. Being me. But I am a color freak.

Best Tile was always my favorite supplier for projects, and they do have some very nice ledger stone applications. This one caught my eye [but it's huge- 6" x 24"]

http://www.besttile.com/index.php?ma...t01returnid=97

Then they have "cladding", which in some of the photos looks too machined for my tastes, but in a backsplash might play nicely.

But I really loved this "stacked mosaic" stuff- both for the texture and the colors- and I wondered if it might be light enough to play nicely with regular wallboard?

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Very nice Jen!!!

And yes, there is cement backer board. They did all new walls for me, we brought everything down to the studs in the kitchen. It's Dur-rock that they used so weight shouldn't be an issue.

I love the look of the stacked one, but I'm concerned about keeping it clean behind the stove. I had seen several of these already which I loved but this scared me off completely knowing how much things literally splash back there. It just seems a bit unsanitary, more useful for a shower application.

Initially I wanted subway tile (which I love) but everyone does that these days. I don't want glass either, which I could get in a myriad of colors, but is another overplayed look and I think I would get sick of it in a few years.

There is a look, which is reminiscent of what you showed with just a small amount of glass, which is called "Fire and Ice", that I've seen around. You can mix and match the glass bits (or metallic pieces, your choice) to the color scheme best for you. I had someone do a mock-up for me on Garden Web and this actually looked really well for my kitchen. This photo is someone else's cooking space:

BTW that niche there? Stupid. Everything would get ruined that you put there, full of grease and what not. Let alone the issue of heat. Dumb. Surely that person does NOT actually cook!

2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by kita_dawg View Post
To me, this is the ultimate cabinet solution that I also want in my dream kitchen:

You said it wasn't very deep, so maybe the drawer type are more in order?

Because of where the door hits, the pull out one seems to be the best use. You can reach everything from the stove without having to dance around doors and corners!

I LOVE those because they make ANY pantry, no matter how awkwardly placed or sized, useful and non-frustrating.
Actually - my other pantry closet near the fridge, is supposed to have those pull-outs, and they forgot to give them to me. They finally ordered them and I keep forgetting to go pick them up. Duh. Thanks for reminding me!
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
Uncle Fester

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elora Lunasea View Post
I don't mind you pointing them out at all Fester. I'm in the design business, so I appreciate and understand where you're coming from.

Too bad you don't live near me. I'm about to embark on our master bath remodel in a few months.

Not. Looking. Forward. To. It.

:O
It really drive other people crazy when I go into a restaurant and see things like light fixtures not hung properly or plugs in places they shouldnt be.

Ive almost come to the conclusion I will just start my own electrical business. The hardest part is getting in doors and clients. But after that quality is my priority.