Sew What?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1
Default Sew What?

Trout and I just cruised through Goodwill for the kicks, and looky looky at what we just bought!

(This one isn't ours, but ours looks exactly like this one)

It was only $19.99

It's a New Home Light-Running, dated anywhere from 1930 to 1953. I called Janome, which is the company that bought New Home, and they said it is from 1946-1953, but I'm seeing serial numbers across the web that are higher, from earlier dates.

Our new family member will need some electric wire updating (zomg cloth cords) and maybe one or two other parts, but it's still got a needle and all the attachments. Exciting!
The following user says thanks:

Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I'm certain I can re-wire it - it's basically just a small electric motor. I'm also certain that refinishing the cabinet will go well. The wood is sound and the joints are still very good for the age. Strip off the crappy shellac, sand smooth and throw on a coat of poly and all will be well.

My concerns are finding parts for this thing if it doesn't work. There are a lot of old Singer parts, but not many for New Home. Overall, bringing it back to life is going to be a really fun project, though, and for $20.00, what's the worst that can happen?
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

i used to have one of those- my ex still has it, buried in his barn or attic, I'm sure. BUT! I do believe I still have a bunch of attachments/parts from it- it was my grandma's before she bought her [early-adapter] Bernina, and she sewed EVERYTHING, so I had things like zipper feet, buttonholer-adapters, selvage feeders, and other... I don't know how much is left after having moved five times, but I will paw through my piles of Stuff and see if I didn't hang on to some of it.

....Finally! a potential way to repay you for your lint kindness!

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:
The following user offers hugs:

Old 11-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Found this site which might be helpful.

Good luck with the project. Very cool.

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I've given it a pretty close look. The movement seems nice and smooth. No corrosion. It could use oil, but that's no big deal. Nothing looks out of shape. The rubber wheel at the end of the motor shaft is very worn, though and needs replacing. No word on the motor because I haven't wired it up yet, but it seems to be in good shape, and I have a lot of experience with electric motors, so I should be able to sort out any problems. I wish I knew more about sewing machines, though. This is my first time really looking at one, and there may be broken things that I just don't know are broken. There are plenty of parts that I can't fathom what they are for or how they are supposed to work.

The best thing now is to get it wired up, plug it in, stand back and see if anything comes apart or if the magic blue smoke escapes from the motor.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

If you can find a model like it on craigslist or something cheap it might be a good idea to buy a second just for partd

Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

That's a great idea, Johnny. Sort of like buying a parts car when you're restoring an older model.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

We found the manual here:

http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manual...pages-1-13.pdf

Those are the first 13 pages; the next pages are in 2 more batches. It pretty much explains everything. Very cool!
Oryx Tempel is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':