Banner by Lucifer

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Dear Diary

Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #961
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

Found and scanned a picture of my dad (now my avatar.) That was so him - randomly obscene. I miss him.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #962
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

Is he still alive?

The feral rabbit horde edged forward.

Pooh stepped over the decapitated corpse of Eeyore. There would be time for mourning afterwards.

Flanked by Tigger and Roo, they met the ravening rabbits in pitched battle.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #963
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Is he still alive?
No. He died when I was about 22.
Merovigan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users have offered hugs:

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #964
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

My condolences. He resembles a friend of mine from my early 20s. [tis the beard, I'm sure]
Mr Haywood McKinnen. Also randomly obscene. Brilliant dude, tho.

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #965
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

I'm … frustrated? Irritated? Disappointed? Dunno. One of those, or some combination.

I have a team lead. She's a twenty something trying to climb the ladder and she just got denied a promotion. Wasn't my decision (though I totally agree with it) but I'm feeling the pain of her disappointment. I need her to do her job, do it well, do it daily, and let me set her up with the work that will qualify her for the next level. But she doesn't want to put the time in. She just got promoted in January and now she's bummed about not getting promoted, again, in May?! Jesus – get real, kid! Sometimes the best way to get ahead, the “thing you need to be doing to qualify for the next promotion” is just … your job! Nothing more, nothing less. Come in, lead the team, anticipate my needs, provide for them, and the door will slowly open to something new. But you can't damn well expect to kick the door open. It doesn't work like that.

She's called out the past two days. Well, not quite. The first day she needed a “mental health” day and I told her I got it and it was no big deal. Come back in with your head right and we can work to get her the experience she'll need. Then she called in again and I was like “you're not going to get closer to your goals sitting at home. It's an hour until your start time – call me back again later to let me know if you're coming in or not.”

She didn't call back. That upset me.

So now … I dunno. I'm trying to stay neutral. To work with what she gives me to work with. I think that's the best I can do, right now.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #966
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Often, a twenty-something who's been so carefully cultivated towards success in that world will tend to have somewhat stunted skills in the realm of emotions.

Overcoming disappointments in the world of their "success" is extremely hard work for them because

a. they're not used to it, being as how they're uberkindt,
and b. they haven't been given much training on emotional stuffs, so they can resort to the Teen Sulk as a coping mechanism.

Lack of emotional nurture is an issue, there. But babysitting isn't your wheelhouse, either. Perhaps some kind of discussion of that, somehow, might help...?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #967
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

So, I took the day after labor day off. In planning this, my boss asked me "who is in charge when you're not here." I reply, in a "well duh" tone - my team lead. My boss asked if I was sure about that and if she knew that. I took the hint, and said I'd get back to him.

I text her:
Mero: "I'm out Tuesday, are you in?"
Team Lead: Yeah.
Mero: So, you're in charge right?
TL: No, your boss is in charge
Mero: ...silence.

I had a team meeting that day, by coincidence. So I ask her to stay afterwards and ask her if she's my team lead or not. She said yeah, but she wasn't like, ya know ... in charge. Or important.

I about facepalmed.

"[Team Lead] when I am not here you are in charge, because you are bright, capable, and I trust you. My boss cannot do my job, nor can he do your job. You can do my job, at least for a day and I need you to do it when I'm not here. If you sincerely think you are incapable then I need to replace you and I will do that. So, are we clear?"

We, apparently, were clear.

We talked later, about what it means to be capable of doing anything you want and how it can actually be a problem - people who can do anything have to make decisions, and deal with opportunity cost losses. Committing to getting better a one thing, leading for example, means committing to not getting better at technical actions like software distribution or programming. I made sure she knew she couldn't do everything, all at once. She had to focus on one thing at a time and, right now, I needed her to know how to lead a team. How to hold them accountable to a standard and tell them both when they were meeting it and when they were not.

She did a great job while I was out. She sat in on meetings where people at my level acted like children. She got to see that the people above here might actually be below her, except they had committed to leadership more than she had. We got closer, through a shared understanding of the work.

It's been a good few days because I was at Kings Dominion while she was doing my work!
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #968
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

Wait ... not labor day - memorial day. My bad.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #969
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Did you earn your "excessively"-taxed-$17 on your day off?
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
This user groaned at this post:
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #970
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

So what if he did?
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #971
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
Did you earn your "excessively"-taxed-$17 on your day off?
No, I've been doing it a little each day, trying to figure out the best path forward. I've settled on writing summaries - it's an excuse to read random articles and an quick/easy writing exercise.
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #972
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

Work has become a love-fest and it’s … difficult to bear. I know it’s a good thing. I know it’s good that my customer tells me I’m doing a good job. I know it’s good that my staff trust me and appreciate my leadership. I know it’s a good thing that they are doing what I ask and that we are now getting more work and respect as an organization.

I know all this, but, it’s hard for me to be happy in it. That’s part of my Broken, I guess. We all have Broken, and I guess that part of mine is only being able to feel the joy of success when I really try hard to feel it. It’s like my brain has an immunity to it and I have to wallow chin-deep in it to even feel a drop of it. I have to almost drown in happy to realize that the air I usually breathe (pain, despair, anguish) isn’t there. And then I have to remind myself that I’m metaphorically backwards.

My team lead is ruined, I think. Yeah there’s all this good going on but I think that as the team has gotten stronger she has gotten weaker. She was promised a promotion by another manager and then it didn’t materialize. I wanted to kick him in the balls when he sat there, months ago, telling me “Oh yeah, we talked and I’ve decided she going to come over to my team now. We’ll let you borrow her for a while though.” I wasn’t angry because of the tone, I was angry because I knew it hadn’t been decided yet, the customer wouldn’t approve (she’s not qualified) and he had now set her up to be a depression case when his word proved false.

Now I’m dealing with a team lead who’s doing a half-assed job. She asked “If I keep not coming to work on time, will you fire me?” to which I asked if she wanted me to fire her. Was she just testing the limits to see how much she could get away with, and is that really how mature she was? She didn’t have a ready answer. She’s been coming to work late and so now I have a daily task to check that everyone came to work on time, and email them if they didn’t. It’s more parental than I would like but when employees act like kids, what more can I do? This team lead hasn’t signed her offer letter for the new work and I’m tempted to tell them to rescind it and plan to hire someone to replace her. It’s a cheap way to fire her because, technically, I wouldn’t be – I would be replacing her after she wasn’t picked up in the new contract. I dunno if I’m there yet, but I am running low on patience.

As much as that one thing sucks, it’s just one thing. Most of life is good. Girlfriend is good, kiddo is great, work is on point and I’m even doing some non-mechanical-turk side work. I’ve been getting into using websites API to extract data programmatically. The first one was free, but I may start doing some contract work. We’ll see. The Turking is going well, up to $30 now, and I’m playing around with the idea of setting up as a requester to get cheap voiceover work. I’m creating a mod for Fallout New Vegas (where you become an NCR soldier) and I figure a really cheap way to get the characters voices would be to use Mechanical Turk.

That’s life, at the moment.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #973
Tout

My Mood:

I would fire her ( not qualified, depressed ) and beside promotion are coming if you are doing your job good and not if you spend your time to think about promotion..
Tout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #974
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

This is the same team lead you've been talking about all this time, isn't it? If so, she must be mighty cute or something.

Your second paragraph about happiness is quite insightful and well-written.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #975
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I would sit her down and say, "Look, I've noticed that you've seemed moody lately, and you're coming in late (etc). I understand that someone else promised you a promotion, and it didn't happen for whatever reason. But that happens in life, a lot. You're going to need to get used to it, because life is not always fair. That being said, I'm giving you Thursday and Friday off. Go home, get your head on straight, and come back on Monday and sign that form. If you don't, I'll take that as your two-week notice."

Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #976
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Hmm... voice over work needed you say?
Post a link here when you have that MT page set up and maybe I'll attempt to throw my hat (voice) in the ring.

Other than that, it's good to hear things are going well overall.
On top of what Oryx mentioned, maybe ask why she's coming in late?
Bang Rumpus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR DEMON FISH OR I'LL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL FOR DESSERT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Kick's internet browser history must be quite...interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
And when Kick says "fuck no" you know it's FUCK NO!
Kick Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #977
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovigan View Post
I’m creating a mod for Fallout New Vegas (where you become an NCR soldier) and I figure a really cheap way to get the characters voices would be to use Mechanical Turk.
Dude, are you fucking insane.

If you did a forum thread over at the Nexus, you'd have people falling over themselves to do voice work.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #978
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Mechanical Turk?

I don't know what that is but it sounds bad. Use real people! There are always plenty of friends and acquaintances you can get for that, who are actually good. (demo them first).
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #979
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Hell, if you want, post the deets here (encoding needed, script, etc.) and I'm sure at least one or two of us would be happy to help out.

Io, Mechanical Turk is basically a P2P freelance job board.
(I think.)

Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #980
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Dude, are you fucking insane.

If you did a forum thread over at the Nexus, you'd have people falling over themselves to do voice work.
I dunno, I'm not one for free help. That's what money is for - getting something you value. Posting such a post, asking for help instead of paying for it is just inviting problems. There's something antiseptic, pure, about money - I give you X, you give me Y. We owe each other nothing more. I don't have to worry about feelings, or relationships, or vibes, or anything.

In other news, team lead isn't pretty, Coco. She's got huge titties though, and I think she's used to getting her way with them. I warned her I would be firing her if she came to work late anymore. And started doing her Team Lead work myself. And started having her document her tasks so I could replace her. She's taken to sitting at her desk pouting. I don't care, really - she came in on time, that's what I need so her insubordination doesn't spread. It really is weird to me, but as the rest of the team has gotten stronger, she has gotten weaker. I'm not sure what to make of that. But my weakest employee volunteered for some extra work, and I'm seeing the team grow, while the lead shrinks.

I think she only took the lead job to "move up" with no understanding of what that meant. She wants to be at tier 3, without putting time in at tier 2. Without doing awesome at it. Like the road should be paved and she is entitled to travel it at the same speed others have.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #981
Kick Frenzy
Rumpcious

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 

Is there a projected date when you'll be ready for the voice over shit?
And would you feel comfortable (if you're able) to pay SLifers in L$ instead of US$?

Also, good to hear your team is getting better overall, even if bigtits is slacking.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #982
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I'll be a female voice if you need one. I'd do it just for the fun of it, and to see my name in lights, lol.
Oryx Tempel is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #983
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

Today I took, and passed, my PMP exam. I passed it on the first try because, let's be honest, I am mother-fucking-awesome.

Next up I am looking at getting either an Agile certification, Certified Scrum Master, or ITIL.

I have finally decided what I want to be when I grow up; a Project Manager/Producer of video games. My options are limited on the East Coast, but I am going to reach out to ZeniMax to see if they'd have me, or what I need to do in order to get my resume lined up for a job with them.

Life = Good.

Just figured you'd want to know.
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #984
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

That sounds good. I like how you have this little footprint/placeholder here for us to keep track of you. And argue with you in. Not so falling-off-the-earth-y like it is with others.
The following user offers hugs:

Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #985
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Let me know if you decide to go out to silicone valley. I'll warn them you are comming.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #986
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Silicon. Or maybe you were thinking of Hollywood?
4 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 02-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #987
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Talk to Lum. He's a game designer. Lots of turmoil in the industry right now, apparently.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #988
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I'm also available for voice work. I have a pretty extensive theatre resume, available upon request.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #989
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
Talk to Lum. He's a game designer. Lots of turmoil in the industry right now, apparently.
I've done very little to encourage him to provide me even a little consideration. And much to cause him to not want to give me such consideration.

I can get generalized advice from a lot of sources. For Lum to give me his personal advice, and frankly for me to deserve it or ask, I would have had to act differently. Not saying I'm sorry, mind you. Just honoring that behavior has repercussions.

As for the turmoil, well, that is good news. I thrive in turmoil - something I've learned about myself. Chaos has always brought me opportunities.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #990
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovigan View Post
I've done very little to encourage him to provide me even a little consideration. And much to cause him to not want to give me such consideration.

I can get generalized advice from a lot of sources. For Lum to give me his personal advice, and frankly for me to deserve it or ask, I would have had to act differently. Not saying I'm sorry, mind you. Just honoring that behavior has repercussions.

As for the turmoil, well, that is good news. I thrive in turmoil - something I've learned about myself. Chaos has always brought me opportunities.
FWIW, Io Kukulcan works in the games industry too. I don't think you have any bad history with him. I have a couple of other friends in the industry outside SL/SC circles, but you turning up out of the blue to ask them questions might seem a bit odd.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #991
Jorus
Bee Bully

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
Is he? I thought he was a community manager.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

"[22:15] Tracer Graves: problem is, i can manage to play a girl pretty well"

"[22:15] Kristian Ming: you don't need to play a girl very well to escort in sl"
Jorus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #992
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorus View Post
Is he? I thought he was a community manager.

It's not the same thing?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #993
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I'm not sure of the exact job description, but he talks MMO, plays MMO, and from what I gather, designs games, whether MMO, I'm not sure.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #994
Jorus
Bee Bully

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
It's not the same thing?
No, "Community Manager" for most companies is the forums sherpa. He may have moved up in the world though.

Edit: If you really want to be a game dev, join a modeling community and start modding existing games. Several AAA development firms have stated that this is the primary method they utilize to pick up new talent.

Jorus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #995
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Forums sherpa had never occurred to me as an explanation. I was thinking that it was some new management-philosophy-speak for a design team leader.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #996
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Lum's a dev. Not the same as a community manager.
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #997
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I was always under the impression that Lum was a hardcore programmer/developer.

Help Mero?

um.......
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #998
Merovigan
Exploitative Cunt

So I've been applying for jobs, since about 2/27. I've applied for seven so far and only heard back from one. I did three voice interviews with them and now I have a 4-hour in person interview. If I do well, they'll make the offer that evening and I'll be in a new job at the end of the month (doing Software Operations Project Management.) If not, it's back to the hunt.

I think this job will give my career the software experience I'll need to land a corporate gig in gaming. Plus, they'll pay for my education - I'm looking at getting a MA in Game Design. I have to put together a portfolio though, by November. So, yeah, that's more work to do. But fun work. Good stuff.

That's my life right now.
4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #999
Spaceman Opus
Aquakosher

Rez Date: May 13, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Spaceman Opus
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

And at the next post, you have to post your tits

Good luck at the interview!
Spaceman Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 03-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #1000
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Have you considered a job as a bitcoin day trader?

JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?: