morgaine-scbannerscrazyisonfire.png

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > What I'm Reading

Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #41
Zorena
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Rez Date: Jun 01, 2005
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno View Post
I will say that the thing that was most interesting about Dick's books is how little the movies actually have to do with them, yet screenwriters find inspiration from them over and over again. It's something in the germ of the story that inspires them. Blade Runner is a very different story indeed from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, most especially in the "moral" of the story but they are both great, in their own right.
I kind of think the movies are less "twisted" versions.
PKD was great at ideas but not always at the execution which made him a bit less accessible than some of his contemporaries yet still enduring.

It doesn't really matter when you read them just that they are what would be considered vintage. I just sort of started off the thread by reminiscing about my intro to a classic sci-fi book. ^.^

Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #42
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Yeah, I can't imagine the "real" versions of his books to be easily accepted as hollywood films. The only exception was Scanner Darkly, but that was an indie labor of love.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #43
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

btw, if you like audiobooks, the audio version of Scanner Darkly has the actor Paul Giamatti doing it and it's wonderful.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #44
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
btw, if you like audiobooks, the audio version of Scanner Darkly has the actor Paul Giamatti doing it and it's wonderful.
I mostly do audio or e books because they are easier for me. Not all audio readings are good though so I'm glad to hear that and will look for it. ^.^

I have held on to my original paperbacks and hardcovers of a few authors though due to sentimentality and scarcity.

I loved the rotoscoping used for A Scanner Darkly but will still love the book most.
Zorena is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #45
Envoy Costagravas
Travels the world, calmly

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Anyway, back on topic. A Wrinkle in Time (1962) by Madeleine L'Engle was both my first Science Fiction novel, read in the 5th grade, the year I became a voracious reader (thank you, Mrs. Kessler) and the
book that made me want to be a writer, myself, I adored it so much.
Dingdingding, we have a winner!

Probably my first memorable read as well. I started working in the school library in 3rd grade, only to lose my 'job' because I spent all my time telling the other kids the cool books to read instead of shelving stuff.

Anyway, I would haunt the local city library, and one Saturday morning they had a reading and introduction of books, and "Wrinkle in Time" had just been published (I was in 5th grade by then, I think). Man, I tore that thing up, and I can remember making doodles of tesseracts for months in class! That was the beginning of a fascination with books, libraries, reading, and sci-fi (among other areas).

I also remember buying stacks of "Amazing Stories", "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" and "Analog". It may have been my early immersion into the print medium that made it that I never became entranced with comics and graphic formats, which certainly set me up as not "one of us". It may also be the digest stuff that kept a strong interest in me for short stories and novellas, as I'd just as soon read good stories in that form as much as a full novel.

I'm going to have to think hard to go back and pick out some of my favorites, and they'll probably wander a bit across the years. There are some early favorites, but who couldn't list Ellison's "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" as influential?

Thanks again, Zorena, and everyone for contributing.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #46
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envoy Costagravas View Post
Dingdingding, we have a winner!

Probably my first memorable read as well. I started working in the school library in 3rd grade, only to lose my 'job' because I spent all my time telling the other kids the cool books to read instead of shelving stuff.

Anyway, I would haunt the local city library, and one Saturday morning they had a reading and introduction of books, and "Wrinkle in Time" had just been published (I was in 5th grade by then, I think). Man, I tore that thing up, and I can remember making doodles of tesseracts for months in class! That was the beginning of a fascination with books, libraries, reading, and sci-fi (among other areas).

I also remember buying stacks of "Amazing Stories", "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" and "Analog". It may have been my early immersion into the print medium that made it that I never became entranced with comics and graphic formats, which certainly set me up as not "one of us". It may also be the digest stuff that kept a strong interest in me for short stories and novellas, as I'd just as soon read good stories in that form as much as a full novel.

I'm going to have to think hard to go back and pick out some of my favorites, and they'll probably wander a bit across the years. There are some early favorites, but who couldn't list Ellison's "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" as influential?

Thanks again, Zorena, and everyone for contributing.
I still wish I still had my boxes of sci-fi magazines. I had all the ones you named as well as Galaxy and Asimov's. Yea I was hooked.
The following user offers hugs:

Old 11-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #47
Jen Kawaguichi
Suspected person

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

I was more of a fantasy fan growing up but also read some scifi. A Wrinkle in Time was an important early book for me, too. I was a fan of the Dragonriders of Pern which always struck me as fantasy even though it was scifi. The harper books of that series were especially dear, maybe because I also played violin back then. She wrote some more space-like scifi like The Ship Who Sang that was good, too. I was an Ursula K LeGuin fan as well.

Frank Herbert's Dune I didn't read until relatively recently, but I think that counts as classic scifi.

And since this thread started from the apocalypse fiction thread, Lucifer's Hammer was the first apocalypse fiction that I read. It was interesting and enjoyable, but isn't one of my favorites.
Jen Kawaguichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #48
Envoy Costagravas

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 

I'm wondering if anyone else did this (in our circle here, that is): I made a board and complete set of pieces to play Martian chess, and played for a while with a classmate. Total geek at the time, I guess.

Envoy Costagravas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #49
Envoy Costagravas

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorena View Post
I still wish I still had my boxes of sci-fi magazines. I had all the ones you named as well as Galaxy and Asimov's. Yea I was hooked.
Of course - Galaxy was probably where I first read Harlan Ellison. And I, too, have lost most all of those mags, mostly during moves in college days. What a fool, though I have NO idea where I'd put them now...
Envoy Costagravas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #50
Jen Kawaguichi
Suspected person

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Books really are my passion. They have been friends that have never deserted me in my hour of need as well as just a generally good escape.
I can totally relate to your comment, Zor! It may be sad to say, but I think I was mostly raised by books. Maybe half the reason that it is so hard for me to talk to and meet people is because everything I knew about dealing with people in a healthy way I learned from reading fantasy and scifi books. At the same time, I probably wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't had that much. Books were an escape and a teacher, friends and comfort, hiding place and shield.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)
2 users have offered hugs:

Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #51
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

What I have gotten from this thread is that Io just recently started liking Dick.

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
This user groaned at this post:
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #52
Liona Clio
Still Waiting For Godot

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Okay, I am shocked, SHOCKED, that no one has posted this book cover for Envoy...

(Yes, yes...it's not sci-fi by most definitions. But c'mon...ENVOY people!)

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Liona Clio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #53
Liona Clio
Still Waiting For Godot

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

To keep myelf on topic, tho...A favorite classic book series I haven't seen mentioned is "The Chronicles of Prydian" by Lloyd Alexander. To me, these characters were the fantasy version of Star Wars that Willow could never hope to be.

And in Wrinkle in Time news, has anyone seen the new graphic novel version of it? I've heard nothing but good things about it, and really want to find a copy of it somewhere...

Liona Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #54
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
What I have gotten from this thread is that Io just recently started liking Dick.

P2
Shocking but true!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #55
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone else did this (in our circle here, that is): I made a board and complete set of pieces to play Martian chess, and played for a while with a classmate. Total geek at the time, I guess.
No, but it sounds like something Luc would have done. (he's working tonight)
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 11-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #56
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Philip K Dick, was and always will be god, however enough people have covered him.

Other SF I loved while I was growing up has to include Poul Anderson, Nicholas Van Rijn and Dominic Flandry were like friends when i was a kid

Harry Harrison (Stainless Steel Rat books FTW).

Michael Moorcock (For both his fantasy and SF)

Philip Jose Farmer(and not just for the Riverworld books)

Joe Haldeman (fuck the jingoism of Starship Troopers, the Forever War is a far better novel)

Niven... Known Space FTW

I'm just after a 12 hour shift, and I'm likely missing out a fuckton because my brain is in shut-down mode.

The feral rabbit horde edged forward.

Pooh stepped over the decapitated corpse of Eeyore. There would be time for mourning afterwards.

Flanked by Tigger and Roo, they met the ravening rabbits in pitched battle.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #57
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
I used to have 7 years of Azamov's!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #58
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Kawaguichi View Post
I was more of a fantasy fan growing up but also read some scifi. A Wrinkle in Time was an important early book for me, too. I was a fan of the Dragonriders of Pern which always struck me as fantasy even though it was scifi. The harper books of that series were especially dear, maybe because I also played violin back then. She wrote some more space-like scifi like The Ship Who Sang that was good, too. I was an Ursula K LeGuin fan as well.

Frank Herbert's Dune I didn't read until relatively recently, but I think that counts as classic scifi.

And since this thread started from the apocalypse fiction thread, Lucifer's Hammer was the first apocalypse fiction that I read. It was interesting and enjoyable, but isn't one of my favorites.
I loved Lucifer's Hammer! Maybe it won't stand up for me today but it was my first post apocalypse book.

My first SciFi were children's books. I read almost the entire Tom Swift Jr. Series (I found out recently that they were also a big influence on Steve Wozniak.) but Wrinkle in Time was my intro to adult SciFi

I devoured the Dragonrider books to JenK
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #59
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
I can totally relate to your comment, Zor! It may be sad to say, but I think I was mostly raised by books. Maybe half the reason that it is so hard for me to talk to and meet people is because everything I knew about dealing with people in a healthy way I learned from reading fantasy and scifi books. At the same time, I probably wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't had that much. Books were an escape and a teacher, friends and comfort, hiding place and shield.
Hello soul mate. ^.^
I was an only child kind of tossed between two sets of families and grandparents. I never knew where I'd be living next but my books or at least a few books could always come with me. I relied on them more than people and I have the same problem with opening up. It takes me a very long time.

Oh and Dune?
Yes a classic and one of my favourites that I've reread a number of times.
The following user says thanks:

Old 11-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #60
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Of course - Galaxy was probably where I first read Harlan Ellison. And I, too, have lost most all of those mags, mostly during moves in college days. What a fool, though I have NO idea where I'd put them now...
I still have a handful but compared to the boxes of them it's a pitiful amount. I suspect that my mother tossed them the minute I was out the door.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #61
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

How could I forget Dune.

Wrirtten in 1966, the year I was born, I first read it when I was 16, the same age as Paul Atreides, and og course, I'm called Paul.

It was fate.

I knew then I was the Kwisatz Haderach.
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #62
Zorena

My Mood:

Fantasy was closely associated with science fiction in the early days and not split off into the genre it is now. It more or less meant having a fantasy life on a different planet or even earth in a different time. Hence the Barsoom books and a lot of authors like Aldiss, Leigh Brackett and H. Rider Haggard.

Then we'd have the space opera type which the likes Heinlein. E.E. Doc Smith and Herbert excelled.

After awhile some very different and brilliant writers emerged that took Sci-Fi in different directions. This included writers like PKD, Delany, Ellison, Niven and Pournelle.

While others like L'engel, Moorcock and MacCaffrey started to push the different fantasy boundaries.

This is just a simplified outline.

Last edited by Zorena; 11-11-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Grammar >.<

Old 11-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #63
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
How could I forget Dune.

Wrirtten in 1966, the year I was born, I first read it when I was 16, the same age as Paul Atreides, and og course, I'm called Paul.

It was fate.

I knew then I was the Kwisatz Haderach.
You can't be the Superbeing and Satan. Quit crossing horror with Sci-fi TYVM.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #64
Jen Kawaguichi
Suspected person

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Michael Moorcock (For both his fantasy and SF)
I enjoyed Moorcock's Elric series. The Corum Chronicles were ok, but not as interesting. I've only found one of the runestaff books. I've had trouble finding any of his stuff other than the Elric books.

I forgot about A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. I do really like that book, and I think it qualifies as classic, too, and post-apocalyptic.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #65
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

"A spiritu fomicationis,
Domine, hibera nos.
From the lightning and the tempest,
O Lord, deliver us.
From the scourge of the earthquake,
O Lord, deliver us.
From plague, famine, and war,
O Lord, deliver us.
"From the place of ground zero,
O Lord, deliver us.
From the rain of the cobalt,
O Lord, deliver us.
From the rain of the strontium,
O Lord, deliver us.
From the fall of the cesium,
O Lord, deliver us.
"From the curse of the Fallout,
O Lord, deliver us.
From the begetting of monsters,
O Lord, deliver us.
From the curse of the Misborn,
O Lord, deliver us.
A morte perpetua,
Domine, libera nos.
"Peccatores,
te rogamus, audi nos.
That thou wouldst spare us,
we beseech thee, hear us.
That thou wouldst pardon us,
we beseech thee, hear us.
That thou wouldst bring us truly to penance,
te rogamus, audi nos."

Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #66
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
I enjoyed Moorcock's Elric series. The Corum Chronicles were ok, but not as interesting. I've only found one of the runestaff books. I've had trouble finding any of his stuff other than the Elric books.

I forgot about A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. I do really like that book, and I think it qualifies as classic, too, and post-apocalyptic.

That's a book I read while younger and for the life of me can't recall a thing about it so it's back on my "to read" list. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #67
Jen Kawaguichi
Suspected person

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
That's a book I read while younger and for the life of me can't recall a thing about it so it's back on my "to read" list. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.
I read it the first time when I was pretty young, and most of it went right over my head.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #68
Vivianne Draper
Unregistered is a poopiehead

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Cannot believe no one has mentioned the Earthsea trilogy by LeGuin. When I was growing up Tolkien was very popular and we were all hungry to get our hands on 'something else like that.' There wasn't much. But LeGuin's trilogy was kind of standard fare in the fantasy genre.
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #69
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Draper View Post
Cannot believe no one has mentioned the Earthsea trilogy by LeGuin. When I was growing up Tolkien was very popular and we were all hungry to get our hands on 'something else like that.' There wasn't much. But LeGuin's trilogy was kind of standard fare in the fantasy genre.
I thought of it but I think it's starting to get into the newer ideas of fantasy like MacCaffrey and I'm going to stick to a bit more sci-fi for my preferences for this thread.
I thought the trilogy was fabulous as well as her book Left Hand of Darkness which read more like science fiction at least in my opinion.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #70
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
I did.

I'm serious, I AM BEING IGNORED ON THIS FORUM.

Quote:
I will also mention Ursula le Quinn, who was one of my favorites when I was young, as well. She had real range from fantasy like the Earthsea series to really philosophical Sci-Fi, like The Lathe of Heaven.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #71
Zorena

My Mood:

Quote:
I did.

Welcome to my world and I am sorry. Forgive me?

I don't know how many times I've said something in a thread only to have someone else come in and say the same thing like I wasn't there.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #72
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

It was Vivi's fault.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #73
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Am I the only one who watched the old PBS version of the Lathe of Heaven two hundred times?

I remember I had taped it on VHS and everything, hehe.

Wow, someone uploaded the whole thing on youtube, that is awesome.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #74
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

i meant to do that

meow

happy birthday

Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #75
Zorena

My Mood:

I've never seen it but I have marked it to watch later. ^.^
I'm glad to see Vivi posting again so don't scare her away!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #76
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
I did.

How come Io isn't posting in this thread?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #77
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
/Tangent

Last time I was in the hospital my doctor was Dr Ursula Boyton. She had never heard of Le Guin. Can you believe growing up with a name like Ursula and never heard of her?

Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #78
Malia
queen of culture shock

My Mood:

I read Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy just a few years ago and I was very surprised that, except for a very few references to outdated technology, the story felt astonishingly contemporary for something that was published in its entirety in 1953.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #79
Vivianne Draper

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malia View Post
I read Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy just a few years ago and I was very surprised that, except for a very few references to outdated technology, the story felt astonishingly contemporary for something that was published in its entirety in 1953.
As I recall, and its been 20 years since I last read it -- its long overdue for a reread -- the part (part 2 maybe?) where the society uses very small technological things but doesn't know how to make them and when they break they get thrown away -- is particularly salient.
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)