Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #17121
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to IsaDaft Trollop Send a message via Skype™ to IsaDaft Trollop
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel View Post
Thank you to IsaDaft Trollop for a good phone call today. She told me all about hospice care in CA and let me cry all over the phone to her. *hugs*
*hugs* returned. I hope I was able to help in some small way. I cried too!

All will work out one way or another. I really hope those services are available for Trouts mother. It makes things a little easier, during a very hard time.
IsaDaft Trollop is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:
3 users have offered hugs:

Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #17122
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to IsaDaft Trollop Send a message via Skype™ to IsaDaft Trollop
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 

On my own "nobody cares" thing:

I had my first visit with my new doctor today. I like her. (I loved my other one, but she left for a position that suited her better)

But, I fear the tests/lab work upcoming!

She wants to have a full view of any possible problems I may have other than the ones already known. I am happy for that.

ETA: For one, I have to give up red meat for 10 days
Fast 9 hours for another one.
And I won't even talk about boobs smashed and being prodded...

Last edited by IsaDaft Trollop; 07-26-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #17123
Trout
Has the moves like Jagger

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

Thank you so much, Isa. It means a LOT to me that you took some time to help O and I, and especially when I can't be there for her, it's good to know that our friends are looking out.

On the mildly hilarious side, my mom, who wouldn't let us watch Archie Bunker or Sanford and Son because they were too racy, has developed an obsession with late night crime reality drama. I'm waiting for her infusion to end so I can take her off the IV thingy, and all I can hear from her room is "HE CHASED HER THROUGH THE HOUSE, GRABBED HER AND PUT A KNIFE TO HER THROAT, AND THEN...(dramatic music)...DID THE UNTHINKABLE!!!" "Sgt. Blinkerhof was the first on the scene." "Well, it was terrible. Worst thing I ever saw. There was so much blood, you'd think they murdered a rhino, but it was just that poor little circus midget." "Police have a composite sketch..."

There's something oddly surreal about all this. She used to tell us that tv would rot our brains, and she's in there soaking up the most godawful crap on television. I'm not saying anything. If it makes her happy and takes her mind off of things, then hooray for "America's Most Dastardly" or whatever it is. But it's still a little funny.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
10 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #17124
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Good morning from Denver

Old 07-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #17125
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Dilemma:

Attend my friend's twin babies' first birthday party, my friend's comic book store's twentieth birthday party, or get some gardening done before it's too damned hot?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #17126
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Dilemma:

Attend my friend's twin babies' first birthday party, my friend's comic book store's twentieth birthday party, or get some gardening done before it's too damned hot?
D - drink wine and read all day
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #17127
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Dilemma:

If I were there, my choice would definitely be Gabi's.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #17128
Elora Lunasea
Tolerant Cat Mistress

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Cooking Goddess 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

I vote comic book store party if it isn't too late

http://eloralunasea.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elora_lunasea/
Elora Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #17129
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Dilemma:

Go to comic book store party, buy a giftie and some self-reading materials and mooch some wine, head over to the twins' party, give them giftie and mooch some wine, stop off at wine store and grab a bottle of wine, go home and read and drink more wine.

Also, garden tomorrow.

[PRIORITIES, woman!]

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #17130
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Oh yeah?

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #17131
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Well I got another 2 good hours of gardening in, which included mowing using our reel mower,

for a good 45 minutes, which totally counts as aerobic exercise, since our grass is too long, and THEN I went to the comic book store party. It was fun; hooked up with this girl Diana who we met at a party a few weeks ago, and we talked Wonder Woman. I bought this:

and then I bought this:

and now I'm home. Whew!
Oryx Tempel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #17132
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Idiot people camping next to us leave their dog alone for hours, which is against the rules. The dog, which is on the large end of small dog size, barks continuously when they are gone.

They have three tents, and from my cursory glances, at least three adults and an assortment of kids. Yet NOBODY can stay with that dog. It's animal abuse, IMO, how could they leave the dog alone? And certainly it's other-camper abuse. I'm moved to actually try to get my husband to go complain about it.

What is it with people who just naturally assume rules don't apply to them?

On another note, Honey Boo-Boo and film crew is presumably a couple of loops down from us for the weekend, but so far no excitement has come from that.

I attended a park class on campfire cooking this afternoon. Nothing to write home about, but it was something different to do.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users have offered hugs:

Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #17133
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

LOL @ Honey Boo-Boo.
5 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #17134
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
I attended a park class on campfire cooking this afternoon. Nothing to write home about, but it was something different to do.
Speaking from my own limited experience, although I gotta admit I've had some (relatively) pretty good stuff, campfire cooking is never anything to write home about. Near as I can tell it's mostly just intended to be a part of the "campy" atmosphere.

Builder
Virtual Urchin
Proud Owner of Post #5000
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #17135
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Idiot people camping next to us leave their dog alone for hours, which is against the rules. The dog, which is on the large end of small dog size, barks continuously when they are gone.
"Oh, gee, no, I have no idea who made friends with your dog by giving him a tasty hamburger and then took him off his chain."

Quote:
On another note, Honey Boo-Boo and film crew is presumably a couple of loops down from us for the weekend, but so far no excitement has come from that.
Do you own any weapons?

P2
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #17136
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Speaking from my own limited experience, although I gotta admit I've had some (relatively) pretty good stuff, campfire cooking is never anything to write home about. Near as I can tell it's mostly just intended to be a part of the "campy" atmosphere.
Son, I need to take you camping sometime.

My first exposure to goo camping cooking was when a guy brought out his cast iron Dutch oven. Much mechanisms later he buried in hot coals. Later we had some of the AWESOMEST peach cobbler EVAH!

And I haven't even gotten to the 10' long pit BBQ in central Texas at my summer camp growing up.

Maybe you should modify your comment to "much of the time campfire cooking is never anything to write home about. " I assure you there are lots of exception.
4 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #17137
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Anybody who prefers cooking over a gas stove will also prefer cooking over a wood fire, if they know how to go about doing it well-- and wood smoke adds an amazing dimension to anything one cooks.
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #17138
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Dakota has obviously never steamed freshly caught trout with lemon, thyme, butter and asparagus over a campfire. God's food.

Also, if taking backpacking trips, entire meals can be dehydrated, stored in baggies, then cooked after a long hike. One of the best I ever had was a stew of ham, raisins, spices, and brown sugar with rice, with a side of rehydrated veggies, with a skillet of brownies for dessert.
4 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 07-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #17139
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

...and who can resist coal-roasted "baked" potatoes [in foil]? Nothing like it.
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #17140
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

I can recall some really delicious backcountry meals, but to be perfectly honest, I might have been biased by the situation. In my experience, if you hike 15 miles into the backcountry, make camp, attend to whatever needs to be done, just about any meal is going to be the most delicious thing you've ever eaten. Hunger makes any meal a gourmet experience.

Speaking of delicious, I had a Jimmy Dean frozen sausage breakfast sandwich this morning. Sort of the Jimmy Dean answer to the egg McMuffin. Sausage, egg, cheese sandwiched in an English muffin, frozen, then microwaved to order.

In this case, when I said "delicious", I was defining "delicious" as "vile". It was just awful. Bland, greasy, weird, gross texture, and what flavor there was, was just bad. Not rotten-meat bad, but just a completely unsatisfying, weird, and sort of icky in an undefined way flavor.

Smelled funny, too.

Seriously, avoid Jimmy Dean frozen breakfasts. That guy dressed like the sun is a complete liar. He's probably not even the real sun.
7 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:
4 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)
The following user offers hugs:

Old 07-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #17141
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

I think it's definitely a mental thing. You all tell yourself this stuff is the best food ever, but it's really a psychological defense mechanism to help you deal with the fact that you have no choice but to eat it.

I mean I'm sure it certainly tastes good, never said it didn't. But the best ever? Cooked in a Dutch oven? Come on...

Old 07-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #17142
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Dakota has obviously never steamed freshly caught trout with lemon, thyme, butter and asparagus over a campfire.
If anyone else had said this, I wouldn't be able to say "you know, that could be taken in a slightly disturbing manner".
8 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #17143
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Notice the lack of capitalization. Otherwise, ewwww. Dolcett, on a camping trip? That's just messy.
5 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #17144
IsaDaft Trollop
Lady of Darkmere

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Kiss of Perfection 28th 

I love pot pies, like really love them. the gravy, the veggies, the crust. Why is it that I can NEVER eat what ever meat is in them?
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':

Old 07-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #17145
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

For some great camping grub, check out "Backcountry Cooking: Feasts for Hikers, Hoofers, and Floaters". (Hoofers being pack goats, llamas, etc, and floaters being rafts, canoes, etc. she adjusts equipment and tools according to how much can be carried over the trip). By Sierra Adare. The only gripe I have with this book is that she doesn't specify servings/recipe, so that I ended up prepping for four or five, rather than two. My mistake, I suppose.
2 users say thanks:

Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #17146
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
"Oh, gee, no, I have no idea who made friends with your dog by giving him a tasty hamburger and then took him off his chain."

P2
It is kind of tortuous to me, because what I want to do is walk over and bring him/her to at least spend time with us and our dog. The poor thing.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #17147
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaDaft Trollop View Post
I love pot pies, like really love them. the gravy, the veggies, the crust. Why is it that I can NEVER eat what ever meat is in them?
Cause they're not home-made?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #17148
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Speaking of delicious, I had a Jimmy Dean frozen sausage breakfast sandwich this morning. Sort of the Jimmy Dean answer to the egg McMuffin. Sausage, egg, cheese sandwiched in an English muffin, frozen, then microwaved to order.

In this case, when I said "delicious", I was defining "delicious" as "vile". It was just awful. Bland, greasy, weird, gross texture, and what flavor there was, was just bad. Not rotten-meat bad, but just a completely unsatisfying, weird, and sort of icky in an undefined way flavor.

Smelled funny, too.

Seriously, avoid Jimmy Dean frozen breakfasts. That guy dressed like the sun is a complete liar. He's probably not even the real sun.
Frozen eggs - not really interested in them, to be honest; even if they are precooked. I just don't trust them. Maybe that's irrational; but still.

Don't get me wrong, I loves a good breakfast sandwich every once in a while; and I'll prep a frozen biscuit too, just because I'm all by myself and making a whole tube of biscuits for the sake of one breakfast sandwich is wasteful. But, I like to cook the sausage myself, cook the egg myself, etc.

FWIW I like Bob Evans sausage. Whoever the heck "Jimmy Dean" is... *shrug*

They had actual Bob Evans restaurants where I lived in Cleveland. Good, good restaurants. I don't think I've seen one down here.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #17149
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I love making my own "McMuffins." Toast an English muffin, slap a fried egg, a slice of cheese, and a piece of ham, a sausage patty or a couple of slices of bacon on there.

Mmmhmmm, that's some eatin'.

P2
2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #17150
Lexxi

Quote:
Frozen eggs - not really interested in them, to be honest; even if they are precooked. I just don't trust them. Maybe that's irrational; but still.

Don't get me wrong, I loves a good breakfast sandwich every once in a while; and I'll prep a frozen biscuit too, just because I'm all by myself and making a whole tube of biscuits for the sake of one breakfast sandwich is wasteful. But, I like to cook the sausage myself, cook the egg myself, etc.

FWIW I like Bob Evans sausage. Whoever the heck "Jimmy Dean" is... *shrug*

They had actual Bob Evans restaurants where I lived in Cleveland. Good, good restaurants. I don't think I've seen one down here.
Jimmy Dean was a country singer who died in 2010. He was active from 1953-2010.

You may or may not recognize him from James Bond. He appeared in Diamonds are Forever.

Lexxi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users say thanks:
The following user disagrees:

Old 07-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #17151
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
I love making my own "McMuffins." Toast an English muffin, slap a fried egg, a slice of cheese, and a piece of ham, a sausage patty or a couple of slices of bacon on there.

Mmmhmmm, that's some eatin'.

P2
When I make an egg for a sandwich I like to poach it rather than fry it. Leaves you a thicker egg with a bit more bite to it. I think McD's uses a poached egg on its McMuffin too.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #17152
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi View Post
Jimmy Dean was a country singer who died in 2010. He was active from 1953-2010.

You may or may not recognize him from James Bond. He appeared in Diamonds are Forever.

Ah I see; but, why are we buying sausage from this guy?

Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #17153
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I like to use Jimmy Dean sausage in my Thanksgiving stuffing occasionally, if I can't get the "real" stuff from the local butcher. It isn't nearly as good as local-made, I've found.

Burdick's meat locker has several kinds of to-die-for local sausage- there's a dry sausage that is in the kielbasa family but better than any kielbasa I've had, there's a potato sausage, AMAZING, that's a meal unto itself, practically, and there's loose sausage [mild and "hot"], that is great for making bierocks and other such things. Not to mention breakfast links, etc.

There were a lot of German [including Mennonites] and Swedish immigrants hereabouts, and if there's anybody who knows scrossage, it's them!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #17154
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Lexxi is being obtuse. Jimmy Dean is a national brand of prepackaged sausage. The sausage is fine, but they recently came out with a line of breakfast products - muffin sandwiches, scrambled egg bowls, etc. All of them terrible, frozen, microwaved messes.

Their advertising features a guy dressed as the sun waking up clouds, other planets, etc. with delicious breakfast treats. After trying the breakfast stuff, I can only assume he uses delicious breakfast treats made by someone else, because the Jimmy Dean ones are awful:

This was Jimmy Dean. One can only assume he died of some sort of sausage induced heart disease. He was a country musician, as Lexxi said, but he was really known for the sausage, not the music.

This user groaned at this post:

Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #17155
Trout

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

BTW - I think I've developed Asbergers or some sort of inability to communicate with other human beings. I remember having a sense of humor and being able to really tell what someone meant from the context of their words, rather than the actual exact words. Now I don't know whether they are trying to insult me or just being friendly. I have exactly zero sense of humor, and I answer rhetorical questions rather than trying to expend the energy figuring out whether they are meant to be rhetorical or whether the asker is just a complete idiot. It's just too much effort to interact with other people, and language and communication are a necessary ends to a means rather than something I actually take pleasure in. Dangling participle. Don't care.

WTF is wrong with me!? I think I'm cracking up. I sure am glad I'm going home today. Maybe being there will heal whatever I've broken.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #17156
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
I think it's definitely a mental thing. You all tell yourself this stuff is the best food ever, but it's really a psychological defense mechanism to help you deal with the fact that you have no choice but to eat it.

I mean I'm sure it certainly tastes good, never said it didn't. But the best ever? Cooked in a Dutch oven? Come on...
There is no question that much campfire cooking is romanticized but there is little difference between the science in a gas stove (generally pro chefs favorite) and the open flame of a campfire.

And it sounds like you are dismissing the cast iron Dutch over. I hope I am miss interpreting you. They are fabulous cooking tools. The only reason I can think of why they aren't used more often is they are REALLY heavy and awkward to clean.

Eta - ill leave it too Oryx as a trained chef or others here to explain the magic of the cast iron Dutch oven

Old 07-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #17157
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaDaft Trollop View Post
Me too! My next project I think is to try to recreate my grandma's lost chicken and apricot pot pie.

2 users are now drooling and mumbling about pie:

Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #17158
Joshooah Lovenkraft
Just Joshin'

My Mood:

After I heard about the McLobster being available in my parts, I had to run out and try one this week when I ducked out of the office for a quick bite. My expectations were pretty low but it was still quite bad. I guess it's been available on the east coast for quite some time as one of those "limited time only" meals. It was weirdly sweet and I wasn't a fan of their "mayonnaise-style" sauce. I maybe eat at McD's once a year but every time I do, it always seems so unsatisfying.

Joshooah Lovenkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user offers hugs:

Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #17159
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Jimmy Dean from Wiki:

"Jimmy Ray Dean[2] (August 10, 1928 – June 13, 2010)[1] was an American country music singer, television host, actor and businessman. Although he may be best known today as the creator of the Jimmy Dean sausage brand, he became a national television personality starting in 1957, rising to fame for his 1961 country crossover hit "Big Bad John" and his television series, The Jimmy Dean Show, which also gave puppeteer Jim Henson his first national media exposure. His acting career included a supporting role as Willard Whyte in the 1971 James Bond movie, Diamonds Are Forever. He lived near Richmond, Virginia, and was nominated for the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2010, although he was formally inducted posthumously."

If he did nothing else, that makes for a life well lived.
The following user says thanks:

Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #17160
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshooah Lovenkraft View Post
After I heard about the McLobster being available in my parts, I had to run out and try one this week when I ducked out of the office for a quick bite. My expectations were pretty low but it was still quite bad. I guess it's been available on the east coast for quite some time as one of those "limited time only" meals. It was weirdly sweet and I wasn't a fan of their "mayonnaise-style" sauce. I maybe eat at McD's once a year but every time I do, it always seems so unsatisfying.

Like those shoes!
The following user says thanks: