Banner by Troy Vogel

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic > Politics

Old 07-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #361
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Was the Korean captain paying roaming charges on his cell phone data?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #362
Oryx Tempel

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 
Total Awards: 1

maybe the panama canal is a dead zone.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #363
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi

North Korea: Let our people go

Quote:
Panama City, Panama (CNN) -- North Korea has a message for Panamanian authorities who seized a cargo ship packed with sugar and weapons: Release the boat and let the crew go.

"The Panamanian investigation authorities rashly attacked and detained the captain and crewmen of the ship on the plea of 'drug investigation' and searched its cargo but did not discover any drug," a spokesman for North Korean's Foreign Ministry told state-run KCNA Wednesday. "Yet, they are justifying their violent action, taking issue with other kind of cargo aboard the ship. This cargo is nothing but aging weapons which are to send back to Cuba after overhauling them according to a legitimate contract."

According to the state media report, the spokesman described the incident as an "abnormal case."

"The Panamanian authorities should take a step to let the apprehended crewmen and ship leave without delay," the spokesman said, according to KCNA.

But Panama showed no signs of stopping its investigation into what it said were undeclared military weapons hidden aboard the North Korean ship.

Panama has formally asked the United Nations for guidance on how to handle the case, and expects U.N. representatives to travel to Panama to investigate on Wednesday or Thursday, Foreign Minister Fernando Nuñez told CNN en Español.

Because it is pursuing nuclear weapons, North Korea is banned by the United Nations from importing and exporting most weapons.

A spokesman confirmed that Panama had filed a report with the U.N.'s North Korea sanctions committee. Panama has also asked the United States to help provide technical assistance.

The weapons were discovered Monday, and as of Wednesday, authorities were still searching the vessel.

The ship originated from Cuba, and Cuban officials admitted that the weapons on board were theirs. They described them as "240 metric tons of obsolete defensive weapons" sent to North Korea "to be repaired and returned to Cuba."

The equipment was manufactured in the mid-20th century and included two anti-aircraft missile systems, nine missiles in parts and spares, two MiG-21 jets and 15 motors for this type of airplane, the Cuban foreign ministry said.

The ship's captain -- who allegedly suffered a heart attack and then tried to commit suicide as the cargo was being searched -- and the 35 North Korean crew members have not been charged, but the attorney general's office said they could face charges of threatening national security.

The crew resisted arrest and engaged in a "violent" confrontation, Panama's security minister, Jose Raul Mulino, said Tuesday.

Panama's public ministry ordered the crew's detention, and authorities have since spoken with crew members about their travel plans. Crew members said the North Korean ship had left Cuba and headed toward Panama, aiming to arrive back in North Korea in 51 days.
"Old weapons sent to North Korea to be repaired and returned to Cuba." Yeeeeaaaaaah...

Builder
Virtual Urchin
Proud Owner of Post #5000
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:

Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #364
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

DPRK did not threaten to nuke Panama...
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #365
JohnnyVann
Rocky Mountain Hi! :wave:

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
DPRK did not threaten to nuke Panama...
Oversight on there part I'm sure

Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #366
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Nah. I think Panama's too tough for the likes of the DPRK's goose-stepping military.
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #367
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Btw, per the OP is this what "miserable destruction" feels like? Because I expected much worse
JohnnyVann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #368
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Oh, NOW you bring up the OP. Just when the North is pissed about its absent missile parts.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #369
Bard Jameson
Made my hair into a hat!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVann View Post
Btw, per the OP is this what "miserable destruction" feels like? Because I expected much worse
Agreed. This is more like "only slightly annoying destruction".

Baratia Island - Come Enjoy Your Second Life with Us!

Home to Atia Creations Skins, Makeup and More - Come see what The New Girl is making

Check our Event Calendar and come join the fun!
Bard Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #370
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Surely because our evil fanaticism has entered the "disappointment phase".
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #371
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard Jameson View Post
Agreed. This is more like "only slightly annoying destruction".
Or "mildly amused destruction"

Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #372
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

In that spirit, shouldn't we be dancing along the western borders of our union and yelling, "Nyah! Nyah! Nyah! Missed us!"
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #373
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Oh, yeah. And "Nyah! Nyah! Nyah! Panama's got your stuff!"
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #374
Jen
Panentheistic Harridan

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

In my opinion, Nyeah Nyeah is the only valid response in this situation.

Thank you for your erudition, Govi.

"...he may know what he actually meant, but we certainly cannot. It's like some biblical quote pulled at random from Revelations and used to support Jesus wielding Colt 45s and riding a tyrannosaurus rex at the Final Battle, only much shorter and bilingual. Maybe." ~Govi
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user offers hugs:

Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #375
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

It had been posited by some that the new leader, SuperMega Marshal (or whatever) Kim Jong Un, is mostly a figurehead, and that the real power behind the...throne, or whatever the appropriate analogous term might be, was his uncle Jang Song Thaek, along with Jang's wife (Kim's aunt).

However, it now seems that if that was ever the case or intended to be the case, Things Have Changed. Over the past year, it turns out that much of the military general staff under Kim Jong Il has already been demoted or purged and replaced with officers more loyal to Kim Jong Un. Last week it was reported that Uncle Jang, along with other DPRK higher-ups, was publicly purged from his government postion for "acts against the ruling party", and there were rumors that a couple of Jang's aides were actually executed for factionalism.

Today, the AP is reporting that North Korea's official news agency has said that Uncle Jang Song Thaek himself has been executed as a "traitor".

So it turns out, there is very little figureheading going on. Perhaps that was someone's intention - perhaps Jang himself might've even intended to somehow secretly hold power or the "strings"; but whether or not, it is not quite clear who is in charge in Pyongyang.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #376
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

From ABC:

Quote:
The North Korean official publicly purged by Kim Jong-un was set up by his own wife and has since been executed, according to sources and the North Korean state news agency.

The state news agency KCNA called Jang Song-thaek, who had been Kim's uncle and top deputy, "despicable human scum" and "worse than a dog" in a release announcing his execution.

Jang's exeuction was announced as fresh details emerged about Kim's surprising public purging of his uncle from a top position which indicate it was a family affair with his aunt and brother, armed with a pistol, taking part in the arrests of ranking officials.

Analysts who study the secretive regime also fear that the arrest and execution of Jang, the man widely known to have been the real power behind Kim, signals a generational change for North Korea as well as period of upheaval.

Jang was arrested this week for corruption, acts of treachery, and womanizing with state TV airing humiliating photographs of him being dragged out of the Party Central Committee meeting by uniformed officers.

Jang had supported a smooth transition of power to a young Kim Jong-un, who was 28 at the time of Kim Jong-il's death in 2011. He is the uncle of Kim and husband of Kim Jong-Il's sister Kim Kyong-hee.

"What you have to understand is that the North Korean dynasty is run by an absolute blood-based hereditary mindset," pointed out Lee Yun-keol, the president of North Korea Strategic Information Service Center.

The purge drama was designed by Kim Kyong-hee, Jang's wife, and Kim Jong-un, Lee said. "She has openly expressed to the political bureau members that Jang's power line is a threat to the royal family so she took an obvious choice."

Lee claims that Kim Jong-un's older brother Kim Jong-chul personally directed the arrest of Jang's two closest aides last month.

"He was even armed with a gun when he took the General Guard Bureau soldiers to arrest and execute the men," Lee said.

Lee is a former North Korean soldier who fled to South Korea from the North in 2005 while working as a science researcher at the same General Guard Bureau's special unit in charge of Kim family's health. He communicates with former colleagues inside North Korea on a regular basis.

The arrest of Jang was remarkable for several reasons, observers said.

"That purge was surprisingly earlier than expected. Kim's been in power for less than two years and he does not yet have a strong political base in the party. North Korea is likely to be unstable for the time being," said Park Chang-kwon, senior research fellow at Korea Institute for Defense Analyses in Seoul.

"What is surprising is the dramatic and public nature of the purge. It's different from what has happened in the past," according to Daniel Pinkston, deputy project director for Northeast Asia at the International Crisis Group. "It might be a representation of Kim Jong-un's personal nature."

The most important significance of Jang's downfall is that it signals the beginning of a generation change of power. "Kim is young. He has a long way to go and this was an inevitable step to consolidate power around him with young and fresh generals," said Koh You-hwan, professor of North Korean studies at Dongguk University in Seoul.

North Korean state media has been rallying up "eternal loyalty" to its "great leader Kim Jong-un" on a daily basis this week. Four pages were devoted on Rodong Shimbun detailing public reaction to Jang's downfall.

"How dare someone like Jang tries to cover up the mighty sun!" said a director of a North Korean science research center. Other statements on the daily state newspaper included "I want to grab Jang by the neck and shove him down a boiling pot", "Jang is worse than an animal, full of immorality, and ungratefulness."

The South Korean media have also been reporting that a high-level North Korean official close to Jang had fled to China carrying confidential documents on North Korea's nuclear program and Kim Jong-un's private financial assets. Citing unidentified sources from North Korea, SBS TV, one of three main terrestrial channels in South Korea, claimed that the dissident is currently under custody of the South Korean government.
2 users say thanks:

Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 AM   #377
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

North Korea threatens jihad against US for upcoming film

Quote:
North Korea has promised "merciless" retaliation if a forthcoming Hollywood movie about killing Kim Jong-un is released, say agencies.

A North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said in state media that the movie's release would be an "act of war".

He did not mention the title, but a Hollywood movie called The Interview with a similar plot is due in October.

Hollywood actors James Franco and Seth Rogen star in the action-comedy film.

Rogen, who is also one of the directors of The Interview, has since responded on Twitter saying: ""People don't usually wanna kill me for one of my movies until after they've paid 12 bucks for it."

Franco and Rogen play a talkshow host and his producer who are invited to interview Kim Jong-un, and are subsequently recruited by the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to assassinate the leader.

The film's teaser trailer, posted on Youtube, shows a lookalike actor playing Kim Jong-un, as well as fight scenes involving what appear to be North Korean tanks and helicopters, and a nuclear missile launch.

The North Korea spokesman was quoted by the state KCNA news agency as saying: "Making and releasing a movie on a plot to hurt our top-level leadership is the most blatant act of terrorism and war and will absolutely not be tolerated."

He added that the "reckless US provocative insanity" of mobilising a "gangster filmmaker" to challenge the North's leadership was triggering "a gust of hatred and rage" among North Korean people and soldiers.

"If the US administration allows and defends the showing of the film, a merciless counter-measure will be taken," the spokesman was quoted as saying.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:56 AM   #378
Redhead
Pure Acetylene Virgin

My Mood:

Seth Rogen?

Uhm...shouldn't they be threatening Canada then?
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 AM   #379
Spaceman Opus
Aquakosher

Rez Date: May 13, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Spaceman Opus
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

He'd rather be a puppet, like his father

Web Link   |   Mobile Link
Spaceman Opus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #380
JohnnyVann

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 

Did we already suffer a miserable destruction and I missed it?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #381
Redhead
Pure Acetylene Virgin

My Mood:

Quote:
Did we already suffer a miserable destruction and I missed it?

Yeah, it was called the Cheney Administration.
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
This user groaned at this post:

Old 06-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #382
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck