Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Mainland: Second Life® > News and Information

Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #41
Gabe Lippmann
Poligraf Sharikov

Rez Date: Apr 10, 2010
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 1

It was glorious. I can't wait. I never laugh as hard at the current incompetence as I did with Phil.
4 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #42
Phoenix Psaltery
Down to Five Toes

Rez Date: Feb 25, 2005
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence Opus View Post
Who?
No, not The Who... Springsteen.

P2
And everything is green and submarine...
Phoenix Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #43
Gabe Lippmann
Poligraf Sharikov

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery View Post
Everything is relative. I think things were bad under Philip, but far worse under M.

I assume that by "the Big Lie," you are referring to how LL responded to Project Open Letter by reassuring us that they were listening and would be doing some things to make SL better...?

Well, as Sans just remarked to me, "They did do something. They did M."

Which makes me think of the adage, "Be careful what you wish for. You might get it."

P2
What they did was try to change from a gloriously inept shitpile of pie-in-the-sky shenanigans into an actual business with some kind of plan and some kind of structure.
Gabe Lippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
This user groaned at this post:
This user laughed so hard that they peed a little:
The following user disagrees:

Old 06-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #44
GradyE
Hybrid Angel

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck The GradyE 

I find your passion admirable.
GradyE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #45
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorus View Post
Standard glory days mentality. We all do it
Personalities play a huge role here. Compare Philip to M: Who would you rather have up there?

Somebody somewhere (maybe on SLU) said something about, "I remember when everyone hated Philip."

Well, I don't remember when anyone hated Philip. They hated some of the stuff he did, but how could you hate the guy himself?

Whereas M was every bit as much an enigma as was his name. A cipher. And had all the coloration of a slug. The things he wrote could have been written by anyone with a little guidebook for how suits are supposed to talk.

Philip was, is, real.

We'd much rather fight with him!

So in that sense, Philip was the glory days, in a way M never could be.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #46
Sansarya
Just Sans

Rez Date:
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Open Letter
In the past eighteen months, Second Life has expanded, growing from a small community of early adopters to a platform supporting millions of users. Linden Lab has created a world that inspires a deep level of passion in its users and provides unprecedented opportunities to share creatively, socially, and financially.

With explosive levels of growth often come unexpected problems. In keeping with your company's policy and rich history of resident involvement, we the undersigned would like to take this opportunity to address some concerns that we feel have gone unanswered for too long.

There are some consistent, ongoing problems that are getting worse under heavy load, not better, and are not simply irritants but problems that are causing financial loss in some cases, which is unacceptable. Here is a brief list of the main concerns:

* Inventory loss - this is a devastating problem that is worsening. We have no ability to protect our own inventories through backups, and are trusting you to protect that data. This is the highest priority. Sensible inventory limits (on non-verified accounts only), combined with better management tools and ways to protect our inventory ourselves would help to mitigate the problem as well. Regardless, this cannot continue - we will not accept financial loss as a feature of Second Life. It is your responsibility as service provider to ensure our data is not lost, and you are failing us.

* Problems with Find and Friends List - we continue to see search outages on a far too regular basis. It is bad enough trying to get anywhere without being able to use search, but many users are also paying money for classified ads. Our friends lists just do not work reliably any longer, after years without an issue with them. If America Online/MSN/Yahoo can provide presence information for hundreds of millions of users, surely there is a way to make our friends lists work again.

* Grid stability and performance - teleports fail quite regularly, especially under heavy load. Attachments end up in places they did not start out in, and sim performance varies wildly. None of this makes for a very pleasant experience for users. Long promised improvement to physics and scripting would help dramatically to reduce these problems, but there are a lot of other scalability issues as well. It often feels like the grid is coming apart at the seams. The promised use of limiting logins of non-verified accounts during peak load has been severely lacking. This would be an effective interim solution to load issues, but Linden Lab seems unwilling to use it.

* Build tool problems - the importance of build tools that actually work as promised cannot be overstated enough - we rely on them to create content. Prim drift, disappearing prims, imprecise placement, problems with linking and other issues with the tools need to be addressed. Too much time is being spent trying to work around the problems.

* Transaction problems - inventory deliveries are failing with an alarming (and annoying) frequency, leaving merchants with the burden of replacing missing content and having to try to confim the transaction in the first place. We trust that our L$ balances are accurate, but given recent problems, that is a cause for concern as well, and one we place our full trust in you to ensure its accuracy.

We remain fully supportive of Second Life and are more than willing to continue doing our part to help, but our confidence is steadily being eroded due to a general lack of communication and the apparent failure to successfully address the many issues detailed above. What we are asking for is that these problems are addressed immediately, ahead of new features, and that we are able to see tangible improvements. We accept that this will not happen overnight but it also cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely either.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
I think almost all of these problems persist. They get fixed, then they write a new viewer and the bugs come back because they didn't write the patches into the new viewer. Since Kingdon has been CEO we've seen SL go in a really bad direction though, with the 2.0 viewer, the Enterprise thing, Zindra, SLExchange buyout (and I do remember saying at the time it was LL GOMing SLexchange, and yes, I do remember GOM was under Phil's leadership), and then the fiasco that would have been trying to make SL into Facebook (which Kingdon blogged about only two weeks ago). I'm glad Philip is back because he's not going in new directions. Twice this week he's talked about concentrating on what they've got, stabilizing the platform and focusing on current users. I'll take that over the facebook SL.

(and I have to go do the Payday Path right now, so can't respond more till later )
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #47
GradyE
Hybrid Angel

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck The GradyE 

I seriously doubt that Philip is going to pull off a "Steve Jobs" here. I think he is going to sit in long enough to find another CEO to get SL to the next screen, whatever that screen may be.
The following user says thanks:
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #48
Gabe Lippmann
Poligraf Sharikov

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

I would prefer M. Sadly, he failed in his task.

Phil wasn't real.
This user groaned at this post:
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #49
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
Personalities play a huge role here. Compare Philip to M: Who would you rather have up there?

Somebody somewhere (maybe on SLU) said something about, "I remember when everyone hated Philip."

Well, I don't remember when anyone hated Philip. They hated some of the stuff he did, but how could you hate the guy himself?

Whereas M was every bit as much an enigma as was his name. A cipher. And had all the coloration of a slug. The things he wrote could have been written by anyone with a little guidebook for how suits are supposed to talk.

Philip was, is, real.

We'd much rather fight with him!

So in that sense, Philip was the glory days, in a way M never could be.

This may sound idealistic. With Philip in charge I could give him a pass if something didn't work. He created it. it was his baby and I know as well as anyone. Nothing ever works 100% from the start. I shared his passion and vision when he would give talks at town halls about how this is the future of the internet. If it broke, no worries let's give the guy a break. He stepped aside and M came in. No vision no passion. Just hype and spin. Everyone yelled that 2.0 sucked. What do they do. Add more useless shit to it. Instead of listening to why people hated it.

I am still behind Philip. I like rooting for the inventor types in our society.

Not to say I agree with everything he does. I am willing to give him another chance.

Are people born wicked or do they have wickedness thrust upon them? -- Galinda The Good.

"I don't have low self esteem, I have low esteem for others"--Daria Morgendorffer
Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #50
GradyE
Hybrid Angel

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck The GradyE 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Lippmann View Post

Phil wasn't real.
s'ok, neither is SL.
5 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 06-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #51
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Phil was a good guy...

We could relate to him...

OK he might not be best for the job, but he SPEAKS to us, in a language we understand.

Substitute Sarah Palin for Phil, and this thread starts to sound like tea partiers waxing lyrical about Sarah Palin

The feral rabbit horde edged forward.

Pooh stepped over the decapitated corpse of Eeyore. There would be time for mourning afterwards.

Flanked by Tigger and Roo, they met the ravening rabbits in pitched battle.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)
2 users disagree:

Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #52
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Phil was a good guy...

We could relate to him...

OK he might not be best for the job, but he SPEAKS to us, in a language we understand.

Substitute Pjhil for Sarah Palin, and this thread starts to sound like tea partiers waxing lyrical about Sarah Palin.
You hit the nail on the head. I remember meeting Philip in world when I was stumping for Second Life Magazine *RIP*. He was so excited that someone wanted to talk to him about Second Life and his passion. He gave me his cell phone number. I never used it but he was that kind of guy. Talk to anyone.

I bet he answers his own phone too

I can forgive a lot of sins in a person if they just communicate.
Okay something broke or it's not going as planed. Talk to me, Don't put up a wall of bullshit ala M and his spin doctors did.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #53
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Yes, Phil was so commuted to communication he closed down General and off-topic, the business parts of the old forums.

It's far better to be lied to directly by the CrEatOr than by his monkey in a suit

Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #54
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sorry to see M go.

I just don't get the adulation and fawning over Philip's return
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':
4 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 06-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #55
Gabe Lippmann
Poligraf Sharikov

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Phil communicates like a champ unless you want to know something important.

but he had a big smile and a useless working phil-osophy and we love his enthuuusiasm,

I will stop. I don't want to make the big guy supersad.
2 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 06-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #56
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

See, I never had any love for Rosedale. I viewed him as a CEO of a company and as such, he was laughable. Remember the Tao of Linden? I never felt he cared, he was too spaced out to care, he was like either in lala land or pimping LL to corporates like it was going to save the day.

"It had to be fun.... at first."

Who said that? Philip Rosedale. Back then we all agreed he used the residents to build the content he needed to sell LL to the corporates and everyone else, free labor, fuck Phil.

Now its: We love you, man.

Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #57
GradyE
Hybrid Angel

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck The GradyE 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno View Post
See, I never had any love for Rosedale. I viewed him as a CEO of a company and as such, he was laughable. Remember the Tao of Linden? I never felt he cared, he was too spaced out to care, he was like either in lala land or pimping LL to corporates like it was going to save the day.

"It had to be fun.... at first."

Who said that? Philip Rosedale. Back then we all agreed he used the residents to build the content he needed to sell LL to the corporates and everyone else, free labor, fuck Phil.

Now its: We love you, man.

Hey, people welcomed Stank back to this forum with open arms. Go figure.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #58
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I remember meeting Philip in world when I was stumping for Second Life Magazine *RIP*. He was so excited that someone wanted to talk to him about Second Life and his passion. He gave me his cell phone number. I never used it but he was that kind of guy. Talk to anyone.

I bet he answers his own phone too

I can forgive a lot of sins in a person if they just communicate.
Okay something broke or it's not going as planed. Talk to me, Don't put up a wall of bullshit ala M and his spin doctors did.
I'm sure he's a great guy, everyone says so.

Everyone also said, *back then*, SL was falling apart and selling out and it was his doing.

I have very creative friends I love, that doesn't mean they should be running companies.

And yeah, what about closing down the forums? Didn't we all view that as Proof Positive that LL were done with us and didn't give a shit what we had to say? Wasn't that under Phil?

Why does he get a pass, because it was his idea? Didn't that become moot when he was taking your money? Do you care if the CEO of a car company loves his cars if yours falls apart?

Ok I'm done.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #59
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

He also has Crazy Eyes, it's just a fact.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #60
Lucifer Baphomet
Marxist Dictator

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
He also has Crazy Eyes, it's just a fact.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #61
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
I

Why does he get a pass, because it was his idea? Didn't that become moot when he was taking your money? Do you care if the CEO of a car company loves his cars if yours falls apart?

Ok I'm done.
Invent your own creation from scratch that serves the great unwashed and untutored. We will talk in 7 years.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #62
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #63
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Invent your own creation from scratch that serves the great unwashed and untutored. We will talk in 7 years.
Oh, please.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #64
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

I'm going to tell you a big secret:

I never thought SL was that great, I was ready to leave when I started to make friends.

*That* is what I will thank Phillip for: His platform attracted great people.

And extremely patient ones, who, dealing with all sorts of limitations and problems, created great content for him to show off to the investors who are probably calling the shots today.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #65
Roxie
For Rent

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh, please.
No really I have the scars from working for a start up ISP back in the day when people didn't know what a mouse was, let alone a web page.

Charting unknown territory, trying to do the impossible with the tools at hand.
Let the damm mail server hiccup and it was "oh you guys suck".

Yes I give Philip a pass because on a smaller scale I have been there.

Or as I told one customer who was upset that we dared to take the news server down at 4 AM to update the software. "I will be happy to sell you a T-1 line and you can start your own damm ISP"

In other words if you can do better.

Re: Bye Bye, M
Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #66
Jorus
Bee Bully

My Mood:
Default Re: Bye Bye, M

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, please.
No really I have the scars from working for a start up ISP back in the day when people didn't know what a mouse was, let alone a web page.

Charting unknown territory, trying to do the impossible with the tools at hand.
Let the damm mail server hiccup and it was "oh you guys suck".

Yes I give Philip a pass because on a smaller scale I have been there.

Or as I told one customer who was upset that we dared to take the news server down at 4 AM to update the software. "I will be happy to sell you a T-1 line and you can start your own damm ISP"

Funny, the reason I don't give him a pass is because I've "Been there"

"[22:15] Tracer Graves: problem is, i can manage to play a girl pretty well"

"[22:15] Kristian Ming: you don't need to play a girl very well to escort in sl"
Jorus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #67
Gabe Lippmann
Poligraf Sharikov

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

He's selling a service. It is no longer a funny little thing he came up with and didn't know how to manage.

OK, it still is that second part.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #68
Lexxi

Bye Linden guy that liked fondling women's breasts.

*pets bear*
Lexxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #69
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Yeah, he had the stupid Tao of love and all that stuff.

But - I ask you: Who would you rather go to bed with, Philip or M?

Well, that's an obvious answer! Philip is sex on a stick!

But let's cut to the chase here.

The real reason we are happy to have Philip back is he's. . .

. . . One of us! One of us!

You know it's true!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #70
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Crazy eyes or alien eyes?

Neither, thanks.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #71
Govi
Ça va chier.

Rez Date: Mar 06, 2004
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

The reason Apple's Board fired Jobs and hired Sculley is because Jobs was not cutting it. It's all a gamble; one can say that this decision was right or wrong only in hindsight. I like this gamble, it has precedent of winning sometimes (Jobs was hired back). It has better precedent than a CEO who was taking LL operations further and further from their existing customer base. Now, if Philip has learned from his own mistakes and brings to the business the good qualities he has, then this decision is a good one. Only time will tell.

Philip has to understand the business aspects of LL better, meaning he has to appreciate and anticipate the effects of bad decisions like the homestead sim price change fiasco. It didn't touch me personally, but it was devastating to many people.

M has done one good thing: he has unintentionally caused LL's competitors to have a better chance of surviving.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #72
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

It's only temporary, y'all.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #73
23rdDjin
trust... it's everything

Awards Showcase
No Fear 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:

heh... i remember when similar words were once used in regard to SC and it's "residents"... the apoplexy was near apocalyptic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lias
I believe your battle-stance attitude to posting on a free forum is part of your forum issues... After awhile you have to figure that it's not all of the forum owners and poster's that make up the problems you devise for yourself... Floating from forum to forum complaining, insulting the owner, demanding and proclaiming them failures is a very telling pattern of behavior.
23rdDjin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #74
Fatz
Shitter's Full

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Fatz
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Guys,

When a 1/3rd of the company is let go and the CEO resigns/is fired the end is near. I can't think of a single example of a company in this situation that wasn't in drastic trouble.

My guess is /some/ chicken came home to roost that sealed the company as not viable. Investors pulling funds or more likely cashing out.

It's just not good at all. I can't think of any company that came back from something like this.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -KFM

Plurk, AvatarsUnited, TeamFortress2.
Fatz is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users disagree:

Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #75
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Obvious counter-example should be obvious, Fatz:
Quote:
Dr. Amelio was the CEO of Apple for some 15 months in 1996 and 1997, having taken over after taking over from Mike "the Diesel" Spindler. Dr. Amelio was brought to Apple as a turn around artist and succeeded in making sweeping changes to the company including massive (and much needed) layoffs and several restructurings. He also trimmed the product line and tried to bring discipline to Apple's legendary engineering staff. Dr. Amelio also killed Apple's ill-fated Copland project that was attempting to make a new operating system to replace the Mac OS. His solution was to buy NeXT Computer, whose founder, Steve Jobs, was Apple's cofounder. Mr. Jobs came on to Apple as an advisor to Dr. Amelio, and the rest is history.
Former Apple CEO Gil Amelio Lands A New CEO Job
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #76
Io Zeno
Have An Apple

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

But Apple was a real company.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #77
Jorus
Bee Bully

My Mood:

Day one under the renewed rule of King Phil.

Can't teleport anywhere. Can't do anything.
Jorus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #78
Govi
Ça va chier.

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Le sigh.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #79
Charlemagne Allen
Vicious Asshole Owl-thing

Rez Date: Feb 18, 2007
My Mood:
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Lippmann View Post

Phil wasn't real.
I don't know about that. SL was a quixotic enough project for the persona to be reality...

"I always notice. I just don't care."- Gabe Lippman

"With squirting Batman dicks and god knows what all!"- Coconut Koala

"I don't actually have any desire to fuck sushi."- Io Zeno

Mein Foto:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlemagneallen/

Charlemagne Allen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #80
clio
hmmmmm...huh?

Rez Date: Sep 02, 2004
My Mood:

my only preference is..when i did my clown nose project Phillip made a appointment to come in world to have his picture taken..and when i was doing the 2nd clown nose project M never responded...soooooooooo

You are on your knees kissing the feet of the opressors
clio is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user offers hugs: