Banner by Gabriele Graves

Go Back   Second Citizen MK II > The Islands: Off Topic & Other > Off Topic > News

Shep Smith: Katrina Changed Me
Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Kristian

Rez Date: Feb 26, 2005
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2
Default Shep Smith: Katrina Changed Me

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_692722.html

Quote:
His time reporting in front of a camera isn't the first thing Shepard Smith thinks about when he recalls Hurricane Katrina. Instead, he thinks about sitting on a darkened highway overpass with a colleague one night, surrounded by the homeless and the desperate.

A radio station played Fats Domino's "Walkin' to New Orleans," and the two men lost it.

"We had one of those breakdown moments that you rarely have on these sort of things because you have to keep yourself together," the Fox News Channel anchor says on the fifth anniversary of the tragedy. "In the middle of the night, when you didn't have work responsibilities, we just sort of let ourselves go and cried about it a little bit."
I like Shep.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Mulch
NOT signed up for THIS

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

isnt he the one whop freaked out and had fox airlift him out of NOLA?

i do appreciate that he deviates from the talking points on fox every once in awhile and seems to get away with it, tho

MulchWorlds Twitter

MulchWorlds Steam Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala View Post
I've already experienced the joy of real sex and LSD. And watching cartoons and smoking great weed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lias View Post
It's all faux noise until you open your door and some person yells "SCII BITCH" and begins hitting you in the head with a baseball bat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyE View Post
This entire forum belongs in the parody forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern Excelsior View Post
Right now, in Arizona, I can't marry my sister
Mulch

Feted Inner Hangout [/center]
Mulch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Richard Waveington
Blast it with piss

My Mood:

He's like a Paragon of sanity in comparison to the rest of the jackals on Fox.
Sporting Dresden
Richard Waveington is offline   Reply With Quote
This user agrees. But then, who wouldn't, right?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Lum
YEEAAHHHH

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Lum's Golden Waders Award 
Total Awards: 1

Mulch, he's the one who ripped off Sean Hannity's head and shat down his neck on live television when Hannity did his usual smug bullshit.

Golden moment starts at 5:20.
Lum is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users say thanks:

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Dakota Tebaldi

That video is pretty remarkable, Lum. It's very difficult to tell, but the way he keeps repeating "but we've seen video of all kinds of supplies arriving earlier" no matter how many times Smith or Rivera tell him the people around them haven't gotten anything yet, it almost seems as if Hannity's suggesting that those people around the reporters (if not the reporters themselves) are exaggerating about the direness of the situation, or that the situation that particular crowd is facing is not representative of the total situation in New Orleans. Again, I could be wrong.

Now of course we know it was that bad everywhere.

Builder
Virtual Urchin
Proud Owner of Post #5000
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Mulch
NOT signed up for THIS

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
Mulch, he's the one who ripped off Sean Hannity's head and shat down his neck on live television when Hannity did his usual smug bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrhvkuzPMio

Golden moment starts at 5:20.
thanks lum

i thought he freaked and had to get airlifted out on like the 2nd day

i do think geraldo is btw

i think it was on the 2nd or 3rd day when anderson cooper literally lost his shit on live tv and started balling, kinda his "coming out" moment (no pun intended) and then on day 5 you got geraldo crying "i got a baby" while the baby is crying at 4:25 and crocodile tearing it up

i mean, both shep and geraldo were right, and hannity is a douche, but geraldo going that far out, i didnt buy his tears and geraldo is and always will be a clown

but a clown is better than a douche and sheps prolly the best and often gets noted when he flagrantly cuts down the party line (but he toes it more often)

i could have sworn he was the one who bailed out of nola immediately but this video proves he was not and one of the voices clamoring for help when nobody seemed to care

it is still shocking that they were prevented from leaving

has there ever been an official reason why?

i have an OLD blog post filled with the GORE of dead people in nola because i was so outraged, is there a reason that we know of on this day why people were prevented from leaving?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

IIRC, the reason people were prevented from leaving places like the Superdome and other in-city refuges is because half the streets and boulevards in town were inundated with a septic, noxious soup that all by itself was a hazard to human life. People died in those places, but I have a feeling if they were all let to wander about by themselves a lot more people would've died.

The reason people like those on the bridge weren't able to evacuate to neighboring communities after the hurricane - again, IIRC - is because those communities viewed the survivors themselves as a contagion of sorts and didn't want to deal with them. I watched a TV documentary last year-ish, describing how one mostly-white (yes, I will say it because it is definitely important in this case) parish in NOLA which had survived most of the damage literally barricaded all streets that led in or out and patrolled their neighborhood with guns. One of them murdered two black men who were walking down one of the streets, presuming them to be "looters", when in fact they were residents of that parish walking home from a friend's house. No prosecution, not even an investigation. There were probably all kinds of murders in that period that will simply never be prosecuted because there is no court-worthy evidence.

People suck, and it was never more evident than after Katrina. Thousands of victims were displaced and driven around from stop to stop like cattle. There was a big deal made on the news when some rest-area employee wrote a letter complaining that after thousands of refugees had spent the night at the rest area, when they left there was a lot of trash on the ground. I mean, it was (an anonymous of course, but) a very passionate letter describing the author's disgust with how subhuman and careless and inconsiderate it was for this multitude of people (whose homes were completely obliterated before they got to watch their friends and grandparents slowly starve to death) to leave so much trash at the rest stop before moving on.
This user groaned at this post:

Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
GreenLantern Excelsior
A Lantern's Lantern

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
"In the middle of the night, when you didn't have work responsibilities, we just sort of let ourselves go and cried about it a little bit."
I'll bet his eye makeup got all runny.
2 users really think you should go fuck yourself with a rusty screwdriver.:

Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Mulch
NOT signed up for THIS

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
if offered the chance, would you spit or swallow after sucking hannity off?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
Dakota Tebaldi
Modern Urchin

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
There was a big deal made on the news when some rest-area employee wrote a letter complaining...
I want to elaborate on this a little, because of all the garbage surrounding Hurricane Katrina, this issue in particular is the one that most infuriates me - the smear campaign conducted after the hurricane which targeted the displaced survivors, particularly the evacuees that were (after a week of being forced to live in squalor) bussed out of NOLA to surrounding regions and cities, most notably in Texas. While volunteers whose presence at such places can actually be verified had heartwarming (and heartrending) tales of survivors who were emotionally devastated and vocally grateful for all the help, a few emails circulated from anonymous sources claiming that they day-tripped into NOLA during the crisis to volunteer at the Superdome and encountered nothing but Suspiciously Stereotypical Black People who verbally abused volunteers, rejected bottle water while demanding soda, threw perfectly good food that they didn't like on the floor because it wasn't from McDonald's, complained that there was no liquor, and "didn't flush toilets". As dirty and nasty as these SSBP's were, they somehow erased all evidence of their existence because as I mentioned, nobody that can be found who can prove they actually were at the refugee centers managed to meet any of these people. Other internet rumors circulated that a huge job fair was held in (insert city here, usually in Texas) specifically for Katrina evacuees, and even with free transportation to the event, and yet only one person (who wasn't actually a refugee) showed up - a blatant lie, by the way; job fairs held for Katrina refugees in Texas netted hundreds (in one case over a thousand) of applicants.

And it's still going on. Earlier THIS VERY YEAR, on another website I frequent, someone posted that he'd received this email about how "above 48 degrees north latitude", major weather disasters don't result in people begging the government to help (except that, actually, yeah they do).

Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #11
Spaceman Opus
Aquakosher

Rez Date: May 13, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Spaceman Opus
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
if offered the chance, would you spit or swallow after sucking hannity off?
He'd take the facial, collect the remnants and try to get himself pregnant.
Spaceman Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users laughed. The question is: Are they laughing with you, or at you?:

Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #12
Asher Bertrand
Exercising demons

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 

Quote:
Is this all you have to say about what happened after Katrina? Is that how small you are?
3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)

Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Lum
YEEAAHHHH

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
has there ever been an official reason why?

i have an OLD blog post filled with the GORE of dead people in nola because i was so outraged, is there a reason that we know of on this day why people were prevented from leaving?
Officially? No.

Really? Straight-up racism.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0916-01.htm
http://www.thenation.com/article/kat...idden-race-war
The following user says thanks:

Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Tracer Graves
Skype Mafia

My Mood:

Quote:
I realize you have absolutely no obligation to answer this, and I really don't expect you to. But considering your political alignment, do you consider yourself a Christian? Or are you just a regular asshole?

SLurl: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Vista/195/68/35
Tracer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
GreenLantern Excelsior
A Lantern's Lantern

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bertrand View Post
Is this all you have to say about what happened after Katrina?
No. I have this to say: We drove to New Orleans all the way from from Arizona to help, and spent about a week patrolling the Algiers neighborhood. The New Orleans Police officers who were there were completely burned out. There were police agencies from all over the country who came to patrol the evacuated areas and assist however they could. We had a huge presence there. People were grateful. Many of them thanked us for coming.

Shepard Smith weeping on an overpass and then being helicoptered back to comfort and safety doesn't strike me with awe.
GreenLantern Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says thanks:

Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
Tracer Graves
Skype Mafia

My Mood:

Quote:
No. I have this to say: We drove to New Orleans all the way from from Arizona to help, and spent about a week patrolling the Algiers neighborhood. The New Orleans Police officers who were there were completely burned out. There were police agencies from all over the country who came to patrol the evacuated areas and assist however they could. We had a huge presence there. People were grateful. Many of them thanked us for coming.

Shepard Smith weeping on an overpass and then being helicoptered back to comfort and safety doesn't strike me with awe.
Maybe you went to AZ to fulfill your sense of how big of a hero you are and to help out the police force there rather than out of recognition of the humanity of the situation. In other words, you were too busy patting yourself on the back than to really emotionally take in the landscape. Good work though. Glad to see your a man's man.
Tracer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #17
Lum
YEEAAHHHH

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

I lived in New Orleans for 2 years.

Algiers is on the other side of the river from New Orleans. Directly across, it's the neighborhood just across the Mississippi ferry.

It was what Shepard Smith was pointing at, on live television, as the area that had barricaded itself and was preventing refugees from leaving a ruined unlivable city.

So if you 'patrolled Algiers', this is what you were helping with:

Quote:
Facing an influx of refugees, the residents of Algiers Point could have pulled together food, water and medical supplies for the flood victims. Instead, a group of white residents, convinced that crime would arrive with the human exodus, sought to seal off the area, blocking the roads in and out of the neighborhood by dragging lumber and downed trees into the streets. They stockpiled handguns, assault rifles, shotguns and at least one Uzi and began patrolling the streets in pickup trucks and SUVs. The newly formed militia, a loose band of about fifteen to thirty residents, most of them men, all of them white, was looking for thieves, outlaws or, as one member put it, anyone who simply "didn't belong."

The existence of this little army isn't a secret--in 2005 a few newspaper reporters wrote up the group's activities in glowing terms in articles that showed up on an array of pro-gun blogs; one Cox News story called it "the ultimate neighborhood watch."
So, wow, go you.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #18
Spaceman Opus
Aquakosher

Rez Date: May 13, 2006
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Spaceman Opus
Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck 

Hmm...keeping poor refugees from a more well-off community.

That sounds strangely familiar.....
Spaceman Opus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #19
Envoy Costagravas
Travels the world, calmly

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
I lived in New Orleans for 2 years.

Algiers is on the other side of the river from New Orleans. Directly across, it's the neighborhood just across the Mississippi ferry.

It was what Shepard Smith was pointing at, on live television, as the area that had barricaded itself and was preventing refugees from leaving a ruined unlivable city.

So if you 'patrolled Algiers', this is what you were helping with:

So, wow, go you.
You know, I was going to post something to the effect "hell, *I* didn't go to New Orleans to help out, I can hardly cast aspersions on GLE's efforts". In spite of the fact that I did help bankroll two dancers I knew who went there, for a total of 2 months, to help in the rescue efforts of the abandoned and lost animals, in addition to assisting at the (human) shelters.

In light of Lum's information, I'll withhold my even tepid acknowledgment, pending further illumination from GLE as to just how he helped out NOLA.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #20
Lum
YEEAAHHHH

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

To be fair, Algiers (or Gulfport, or Baton Rouge) were disaster areas as well. They were just in bad straits, not literally obliterated zones of anarchy and starvation.

Also, to be fair, GLE is not a police officer (though he often seems to like to play one on the internet) and as a volunteer no doubt gave some assistance. Although I disagree with him on most things it's silly to assume that he drove all the way to Louisiana just to not do anything. It's likely that given the situation volunteers simply weren't allowed into New Orleans proper as it was quite literally a war zone. And at the time there was so much help needed even the Mexican Army was trucking in water. It sounds like a joke but it really happened.

That being said, laughing at people like Shepard Smith, who *were* in a war zone at the time, is somewhat odd. It reminds me of people like Sean Hannity who were desperate to find any reason to excuse the people in power for allowing such a thing to happen, and instead pointing fingers everywhere else.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:29 AM   #21
Envoy Costagravas
Travels the world, calmly

My Mood:
Awards Showcase
Suave 28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 3

Thanks, Lum. This *is* an instance where, much as we are diametrically opposed on virtually all matters, there was some form of good motivation in GLE's intent. At least that is what I want to think.

I didn't drive over and do anything, so I'll save my brickbats for the other people who didn't but chose to make political hay out of the matter. Still one of the darkest moments in this country's history. That fuckhead Beck is talking about "Restoring Honor" - he could start talking about how much of our nations honor was squandered, on so many fronts, by that cretin Bush.
Envoy Costagravas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #22
GreenLantern Excelsior
A Lantern's Lantern

My Mood:

Here's a picture from the intersection of Richland Road and Socrates Street on September 4, 2005. You can see the same house using Google Earth to search for 1390 Richland Road, New Orleans, LA. The neighbor just to the south of this house created a little media stir with our "embedded" radio reporter when he showed them a small revolver he was carrying in his back pocket for self defense. This was just south of the New Orleans Police Department substation that became our local headquarters.

Next is a photo of Deputy Gary LeBenz, who was in charge of our piece of the response. He wrote the sign on the back of his car using white shoe polish. This was on his first trip to New Orleans. On the way back from the second trip, the group stopped overnight in San Antonio, and Gary told them he was tired so he didn't want to go out to dinner that evening. The next morning they found him in his room, dead of a heart attack. This photo that I took was displayed at his funeral.

The third photo is Maricopa County response vehicles in our part of the parking lot of the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales, Louisiana. This was about half of the vehicles that were there at the time, and the number of vehicles and personnel were approximately twice that once the other groups arrived.

The fourth photo is Maricopa County Deputy Sheriffs being sworn in as Louisiana law enforcement officers.

The fifth photo is a tent set up by the military and full of military clothing and supplies for all the law enforcement responders to use. Anyone who says the military response was lacking is ignorant or a liar. We saw hundreds of military vehicles in convoys while we were there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_3470.jpg (100.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_3439.jpg (95.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_3447.jpg (94.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_3458.jpg (95.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_3486.jpg (96.3 KB, 5 views)

Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
GreenLantern Excelsior
A Lantern's Lantern

My Mood:

The sixth photo was taken in Monroe, Louisiana. Richard Fewell, Sheriff of Ouachita Parish, heard about our response and wanted to brief us before we headed south to New Orleans. We got a phone call on our satellite phone telling us to watch for the Sheriff's Office escort vehicles. They were waiting on the side of the freeway, and escorted us into town where we were invited in to the Courthouse Annex. The locals were so grateful for our response that they had made a bunch of sandwiches and drinks and cookies for us. The blackboard behind the deputies reads "Pray for these deputies!" and gives a list of who from their group was responding to which area. They told us of an incident where a couple of bad guys threw a dead body they had found into the road and then waited for someone to come along. A FEMA truck carrying food and supplies stopped to see if they could help and the bad guys hijacked their truck.

The seventh photo shows a Burlington Coat Factory sign that crashed down onto part of a gas station.

The eighth photo shows a bank which sustained no damage except for one entry door where all the glass had been broken out. I would call this suspicious, wouldn't you?

The ninth photo is in Algiers. Just to the left of the house at the center of the picture is a full-sized billboard. The I-beams that held it up were bent easily by the force of the wind.

There was no power anywhere in Algiers when we were there. It was pretty spooky at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0135.jpg (89.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0111.jpg (89.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0113.jpg (95.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0102.jpg (82.6 KB, 3 views)

Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #24
Lum
YEEAAHHHH

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Just as some perspective, here's what New Orleans (the city as opposed to the suburb GLE was in) looked like at the time. This is Claiborne Avenue about 5 blocks from downtown. Once you get to the CBD and the French Quarter it got dryer because the Quarter is on a hill. Everything around that hill was submerged from the levees breaking. New Orleans on 9/5 was literally underwater.

The hurricane devastated the entire coastline, but the levees breaking sunk New Orleans. It's still effectively a dead city, to this day. New Orleans today has 55% the population it did in 2005. Many moved north to Baton Rouge which now is larger than New Orleans. There are stretches of New Orleans today which are just uncolonized wasteland returning to the swamp.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #25
Lum
YEEAAHHHH

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

Quote:
The fifth photo is a tent set up by the military and full of military clothing and supplies for all the law enforcement responders to use. Anyone who says the military response was lacking is ignorant or a liar. We saw hundreds of military vehicles in convoys while we were there.
They're neither. Those military convoys you saw arrived with the 82nd Airborne and LA National Guard, around 9/3 (a couple of days before you arrived). Until that point, for a week FEMA claimed there wasn't a problem despite people literally dying of starvation and water dehydration on television. Thankfully the military kicked ass and took names (and took back the streets) at that point, but the NOLA victims of Katrina were left to fend for themselves for a good solid week or so.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #26
Susanne Pascale

My Mood:

Heck of a job, Brownie

Sooz

Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
GradyE
Hybrid Angel

Awards Showcase
5k trainwreck The GradyE 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne Pascale View Post
Heck of a job, Brownie

Sooz
Brown currently hosts a radio talk show in Colorado.

GradyE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #28
Lum
YEEAAHHHH

My Mood:
Awards Showcase

And is currently broadcasting from New Orleans.

Quote:
The presence of Mr. Shearer, a dedicated chronicler of the federal failings that led to — and followed — the flooding of New Orleans, attests to an odd sort of rehabilitation for Mr. Brown, who was sent back to Washington within two weeks of the storm and resigned shortly after.

Spike Lee now calls him a scapegoat for the disaster, echoing Mr. Brown’s own analysis. The military was slow, Mr. Brown said in a brief interview at his hotel in the French Quarter, local and state officials were indecisive and Michael Chertoff, the secretary of homeland security, was unresponsive. It is all in his coming book, “Deadly Indifference.”

Still, pretty gutsy, no?

“I don’t know where this is gutsy,” he said. “This is a part of my life. This was a very significant part of my life. Everybody in the world knows it was a part of my life. So I’m going to show up.”
Considering the whiny emails of his that were published in Katrina's aftermath while the government response was paralyzed, my sympathy for him is low.

Quote:
If you'll look at my lovely FEMA attire you'll really vomit. I ama fashion god.
Quote:
Are you proud of me? Can I quit now? Can I go home?
2 users say thanks: