View Single Post

Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Cocoanut Koala
January Pie

Awards Showcase
28th 5k trainwreck 
Total Awards: 2

This is really two new dishes I made, so first, I'll put the recipe for the chicken.

Phyllo-Wrapped Chicken with Sabayon Sauce

Tender chicken stuffed with prosciutto, wrapped in pastry and served with a silky sauce is enough to dazzle anyone. It's particularly pleasing for the cook, who can make it well before the guests arrive.

By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen

Ingredients

8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
8 thin slices prosciutto
16 sheets phyllo pastry
3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, melted

Sabayon sauce:

4 egg yolks
3 tbsp (45 mL) chicken stock
2 tbsp (30 mL) dry vermouth
1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped basil
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped oregano or thyme
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper

To change the number of servings, enter the number, then press "calculate". Serving Calculator or reset
Preparation

Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally almost but not all the way through; open like book. Brush with mustard; sprinkle with pepper and salt. Lay 1 prosciutto slice on each breast; fold breast over to enclose.

For each bundle, place 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with damp towel to prevent drying out. Brush with some of the butter; top with second sheet. Centre 1 breast on phyllo about 2 inches (5 cm) from 1 short edge; fold bottom then sides over chicken and roll up. Place, seam side down, on greased rimmed baking sheet; brush with some of the butter. (Make-ahead: Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.)

Bake in 350F (180C) oven until golden and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 45 minutes.

Sabayon sauce:
In large heatproof bowl or top of double boiler, whisk egg yolks until pale; whisk in stock and vermouth. Place over simmering water; whisk until thickened and frothy, 8 minutes. Whisk in parsley, basil, oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve with chicken bundles.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/p...ayon_sauce.php

-----

*You'll notice that sabayon sauce called for vermouth. Which I of course don't have. So I used the other recipe. Then did it again without the parsley, and added the herbs from this one.

*Also, I have not had prosciutto since I was young and in the Bahamas, when I ordered some and it came spoiled. I called and they said that was "the way it was supposed to be." So I never ate it since. I used black forest ham instead.

*I only made two of these; not eight.

Last edited by Cocoanut Koala; 09-17-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
One user says 'MMmmm. Pie':