Second Citizen MK II

Second Citizen MK II (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/index.php)
-   Websites (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dark Mercury: Book Zero (my serialized novel) (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=9806)

JohnnyVann 10-19-2010 01:18 AM

That's not a knife...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5XvBYfxU_dM/S5...png?imgmax=800

Kick Frenzy 10-19-2010 08:05 PM

Just finished reading Chap 10, which I think was the perfect length. That whole scene deserved to stand on its own.

/me waits impatiently for the next chapter

Augustus Bainbridge 10-19-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 289222)
Just finished reading Chap 10, which I think was the perfect length. That whole scene deserved to stand on its own.

/me waits impatiently for the next chapter

Yeah, originally there was a little bit more at the end of that chapter, but I decided it needed to end where it did, and I moved the rest to the beginning of Chapter 11.

It's made for a nice jump start.

FYI, I'm working on this for National Novel Writing Month in November, and am planning to update Monday, Wednesday, Friday during that month. We'll see how THAT goes.

Spaceman Opus 10-19-2010 09:04 PM

I'm trying NaNoWriMo this year too...no clue what I'm gonna do for it tho...should be interesting tho :)

Oryx Tempel 10-20-2010 04:22 PM

Just linked to DM:BZ on my Facebook. Hopefully you'll get a few more readers. :)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-20-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel (Post 289865)
Just linked to DM:BZ on my Facebook. Hopefully you'll get a few more readers. :)

Ooh, thank you! I'll keep an eye out for the spike in page hits. :)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-20-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman Opus (Post 289258)
I'm trying NaNoWriMo this year too...no clue what I'm gonna do for it tho...should be interesting tho :)

It's a rush trying to get 50,000 words out in 30 days. If you're a social person at all, I'd recommend finding a writing group in your area that is doing NaNoWriMo...feeding off of all that creative energy is amazing. When a couple of us would get stuck, we'd brainstorm ideas with each other, and writer's blocks disappeared quickly.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-21-2010 07:08 PM

Alright, everyone (that cares):

Chapter 11 is posted a bit earlier than normal, because I can.

And, again, in case you have any catching up to do, you can go to the Dark Mercury main page.

JohnnyVann 10-21-2010 08:37 PM

Is this thread about Lias too?

Ayu Sura 10-22-2010 12:22 AM

Huh?

Augustus Bainbridge 10-22-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 290793)
Is this thread about Lias too?

Yes. They all are.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-23-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 290753)
Alright, everyone (that cares):

Chapter 11 is posted a bit earlier than normal, because I can.

And, again, in case you have any catching up to do, you can go to the Dark Mercury main page.

:qft:

Unenthusiastic hit-count in response to Chapter 11 is unenthusiastic.

Not just y'all, but in general. :-/

JohnnyVann 10-23-2010 02:46 PM

Why does this spam keep popping up?

Ayu Sura 10-23-2010 06:58 PM

Don't give up now! I want to know what happens!

Augustus Bainbridge 10-25-2010 10:36 PM

More :spam: for the delicious tasting.

Rejoice*! Chapter 12 is posted now for your reading pleasure.

As always, you can go to the main page and start from wherever you may have left off.

*Rejoicing best done in the form of reading.**

** I feel like I need to make each "read me" post more innovative than the last. :D

Kick Frenzy 10-25-2010 11:09 PM

Argh... I SO want to read this now and get caught up and find out what's up and and and...

Buuut... we have company over, playing Rock Band. So, you know, not the best time to try to read and comprehend it all. I'll get to it as soon as I can though! :)

Kick Frenzy 10-26-2010 07:33 PM

I might have to try that Chambord & Vodka sometime. :pie:

Had to catch up on both 11 and 12, which I admit is kind of fun to have a couple chapters to gobble up at the same time. In this case though, 11 set the stage for 12... so it flowed really well to read them at the same time. ;) Some fun stuff in there... and uh OH! (about Kayla's big eyes towards the end there... hehe)

/me looks at calendar and notices 13 should be coming along before long :D

(So, the piano bar is... SLU? *snicker*)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-27-2010 01:47 AM

Yeah, originally that was going to all be one megachapter, but I realized I wouldn't get through it all in time for my self-imposed deadline.

I'm a little behind on 13 right now, but I'll make it.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-28-2010 12:08 PM

TL:DR, Part 1

Seeing as how I'm at work right now, and can't actually focus enough to work on the next chapter, I decided to post a little bit about the background of how this novel came to be. This will probably end up as a supporting page on the blog eventually, but I'm giving SCMK2 (bitches!) a sneak preview.

The main character, Jacob Dane, was an NPC from a Cyberpunk role playing game I ran in college. His original name was Stephan Daigneux (he was Cajun for no good reason), and his street nickname was...*sigh*...Jester. He had a very different personality than he does in the books.

One of the things I always did with my primary NPCs in games I ran was make sure that every character of importance had a history and a motivation for their behavior. I conceived these hugely elaborate backgrounds, knowing full well they would most likely never be investigated, because I enjoyed doing it.

Years later, I decided I wanted to revisit that story, from Jacob's point of view. There was a lot of untapped story there, and I wanted to put it out to the world.

The first incarnation of it was a screenplay. I hammered it out in two days, spend a couple weeks polishing it, and send it out to every logical address I could find.

Months of nothing, until eventually I got one response from a script reader. I paraphrase, but the gist of it was:

"This story is way too high-budget for anyone's first screenplay sale. I think it would make a great comic book."

I disagreed about the budget, but I thought..."You know, maybe a comic book is the way to go.

(more to come)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-28-2010 12:21 PM

TL:DR Part 2

So, the second incarnation of Dark Mercury was as a failed webcomic. Failed not due to lack of interest from the public...well, in part because it was never SEEN by the public. I'm way too slow and methodical of an "artist" to ever produce consistent quality on even a weekly basis, much less multiple times per week. And DM never felt like it could be properly captured in a one-page, episodal format anyway.

I have several pages of comic line art that I drew for the Comic-That-Never-Was. I've plucked out a few of my original character sketches below, however. I hesitate a bit in showing these, because I know that everyone pictures the characters differently than I do...hell, even I picture them a bit differently now. The comic book was set a few years after the events that are being written for the Dark Zero blog but, other than them still being alive, I don't think that there are any spoilers contained.

Jacob
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1083/...cba910ec2a.jpg

Tyler
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/...7f6c3573_m.jpg

Kayla: Kayla's sketches were interesting. I never quite felt like I got her right back then. This was the closest I came to what I wanted her to look like at the time, even if it is just a really terrible, straight-on first sketch.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1411/...118994e86d.jpg

I recently grabbed a pen during a slow moment of writing and updated Kayla's look to the way I'm writing her now. Still not perfect (she looks too thin here), but the attitude is a bit closer. This has a teensy bit of a Chapter 13 spoiler in it, but since that's being posted within the next 24 hours, I figure that's allowed.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/...8ce1dd02de.jpg

Anyway, the webcomic died on the vine...leaving me with a stack of character sketches to show for it. I've been sorely tempted to render all of the characters in Second Life, but my skill-set is somewhat lacking.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-29-2010 12:47 AM

Later than planned (c'mon, the SF Giants are in the World Series, cut me some slack), Chapter 13 is now available for your reading pleasure.

As always, feel free to start at the main page if you have catching up to do.

Enjoy! If possible, enjoy a little bit in the next two hours, as my hit-count streak is in serious jeopardy! :D

JohnnyVann 10-29-2010 12:55 AM

I can't keep up :freakout:

Augustus Bainbridge 10-29-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 295917)
I can't keep up :freakout:

Focus!

Spaceman Opus 10-29-2010 01:12 AM

Mmmm....delicious :)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-29-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 295909)
Later than planned (c'mon, the SF Giants are in the World Series, cut me some slack), Chapter 13 is now available for your reading pleasure.

As always, feel free to start at the main page if you have catching up to do.

Enjoy! If possible, enjoy a little bit in the next two hours, as my hit-count streak is in serious jeopardy! :D

:qft:

My month-long streak of at least ten readers every day died last night, so I'm feeling a bit discouraged at the moment :(

JohnnyVann 10-29-2010 12:27 PM

Better open up 1-800-AUGY-LUV again.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-31-2010 02:42 AM

Chapter 14 may not be on time this week. I know I have a couple days to get it done, but I've been racked with headaches (they're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack...) and not getting enough done.

I'll still be trying, but just wanted to warn everyone, since people here seem to make up over half my readership.

Spaceman Opus 10-31-2010 04:26 AM

Take care of yerself...we can wait.

....for a couple days......

Zoot Allures 11-01-2010 12:02 AM

Great Stuff!

Augustus Bainbridge 11-01-2010 04:57 PM

Just as an early pre-spam spam:

Disregard my earlier gloom and doom. Starting NaNoWriMo got me moving, and I'll be posting the next chapter later tonight, right on schedule. :D

Augustus Bainbridge 11-02-2010 12:32 AM

And here it is! Chapter 14! Woohoo!

You can always go to the main page if you'd like to start from some place earlier.

Enjoy!

(P.S. Chapter 15 is almost done, too. :) )

Kick Frenzy 11-04-2010 03:02 PM

Apparently I was behind again, just caught up on 13 & 14.

Things are starting to get really interesting! Not that they haven't been, but you know what I mean... plot twists and turns and whatnots.

I always feel like I should be giving a better review when I comment about the chapters, since my girlfriend writes and I know what it's like for her to get "Great chapter!" as opposed to a longer, more thought out response. Something with some meat to it.

Of course, part of why I leave my responses fairly vague is so I don't spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read it yet. Maybe I should just start commenting on the blog instead of here? Do you have a preference?

Oh! Those drawings up there! They pretty much match how I see the characters. Kayla is really close (both pictures, the 2nd one of her is how I imagined you imagined her when drawing the first one) to how she's come across in the story.

It looks like Jacob is blonde? I thought his hair was darker? Other than the hair color, he seems almost exactly how I pictured him... you even have that snarky, hard-to-trust-anyone look on his face that feels like how he comes across in the story.

Tyler looks much more subdued in that picture, maybe that's his morning cup of coffee? That would look right then. But I imagined him more bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. One of those people who walk 30 miles an hour down city blocks. I think I may have a much more polished view of Tyler than he's meant to be?

The story is going great! Although I'll agree that those motherboards being burnt out is a good thing to write into the next draft, but the firewall thing would be complicated. I don't see why it couldn't have that type of protection though, but I'm no neurotech.

Looking forward to find out what's going on next! (Which should be fairly soon according to your post... yay!)

Augustus Bainbridge 11-04-2010 08:34 PM

Huzzah! Sound the alarm! Chapter 15 is posted and ready to be read!

If, of course, you need to start from an earlier point, as our dear friend Kick Frenzy just did, you can visit the main page.

As a bit of a look-forward...Chapter 16 is already written and awaiting some revisions (yes, I actually do revisions even during NaNoWriMo), and I just started Chapter 17 with some of the most gruesomely morbid writing I have done in a long time. So much so that I might put the whole thing behind a "read more" tag.

Augustus Bainbridge 11-04-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 299406)
Of course, part of why I leave my responses fairly vague is so I don't spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read it yet. Maybe I should just start commenting on the blog instead of here? Do you have a preference?

I think I'd rather it be on the blog, for the sake of spoilers. There is a better chance of conversation about it here, but I don't want anyone saying, "Damnit, you guys!"

Quote:

Oh! Those drawings up there! They pretty much match how I see the characters. Kayla is really close (both pictures, the 2nd one of her is how I imagined you imagined her when drawing the first one) to how she's come across in the story.

It looks like Jacob is blonde? I thought his hair was darker? Other than the hair color, he seems almost exactly how I pictured him... you even have that snarky, hard-to-trust-anyone look on his face that feels like how he comes across in the story.

Tyler looks much more subdued in that picture, maybe that's his morning cup of coffee? That would look right then. But I imagined him more bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. One of those people who walk 30 miles an hour down city blocks. I think I may have a much more polished view of Tyler than he's meant to be?
Yeah, the most recent image of Kayla is pretty well nailed down in my mind, other than thinking she's a bit thicker than that.

Jacob is blonde in that picture mostly because I hadn't committed to what his hair color was at the point that I drew that. Strangely, his hair color actually matters later in the story.

And in that image, Tyler is supposed to be tired and irritated, so yeah. :)

Envoy Costagravas 11-04-2010 08:58 PM

"Damnit, you guys!"

Uncle Fester 11-04-2010 08:59 PM

Auggie I will say this. It takes a lot to capture my attention long enough to get me to read a book. But this had me ready for the next page. Im impressed. I definately will be watching this thread more.

Augustus Bainbridge 11-08-2010 05:11 PM

Look at me, putting up a new chapter all early and whatnot!

Chapter 16 is up for your eventual reading pleasure.

As always, visit the main site if you need to catch up.

Kick Frenzy 11-09-2010 03:55 PM

Good shit. Just finished reading and commenting on it. :)

ETA: Oh yeah, 'll post in the proper thread, too... but I signed up for NaNoWriMo today. Going to give at least a half-hearted effort to accomplish the 50,000 words, even though I'm already a little over a week behind.

Augustus Bainbridge 11-11-2010 09:11 PM

Another huge chapter is ready for you to read at your leisure. This chapter has a lot of tributes to Second Life in it, actually...the similar parts of Book 1 are why I came to Second Life in the first place, actually.

Chapter 17 is now online here.

What? You're still on Chapter [1, 2, 3, ...16]?! Well, click here then and get to work!

Ayu Sura 11-12-2010 12:33 AM

I like!

The only thing that's been distracting me is sometimes you say "Jacob" too often. I think.