Second Citizen MK II

Second Citizen MK II (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/index.php)
-   Websites (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dark Mercury: Book Zero (my serialized novel) (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=9806)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-01-2010 01:18 PM

As an additional note, I have a couple questions for people who are reading along. If you're willing to be a sort of question guinea-pig, give me an "Agree" to this post, and I'll probably contact you via IM to run things past you here and there. No spoilers, promise. :)

Kick Frenzy 10-02-2010 09:59 PM

Just finished Chapters 4 & 5.

I think Oryx meant, by "bulk it up", that she'd like to see thicker chapters? I know I'd be up for seeing that, too. ;)

Good stuff again, looking forward to the next installment(s)!

Augustus Bainbridge 10-04-2010 11:52 PM

If you're still awake, you get the pleasure of being one of the first to read Chapter 6 of Dark Mercury! You'll be the envy of all your friends (or at least of Oryx Tempel and Kick Frenzy, maybe Spaceman Opus...some others...).

Get to it while the getting is good! Be in before the morning's :qft: whoring!

JohnnyVann 10-05-2010 12:04 AM

Would you stop spamming Augie's thread? :fist:

Augustus Bainbridge 10-05-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 283167)
Would you stop spamming Augie's thread? :fist:

Never! :spam::spam::spam:

Spaceman Opus 10-05-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 283163)
If you're still awake, you get the pleasure of being one of the first to read Chapter 6 of Dark Mercury! You'll be the envy of all your friends (or at least of Oryx Tempel and Kick Frenzy, maybe Spaceman Opus...some others...).

Get to it while the getting is good! Be in before the morning's :qft: whoring!

Don't make me start leaving "First!" comments! :fist:


ETA: And now that I've read it, I must quote the one and only Ralph Kramden:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Kramden
...and awaaay we go!


Augustus Bainbridge 10-05-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman Opus (Post 283190)
Don't make me start leaving "First!" comments! :fist:


ETA: And now that I've read it, I must quote the one and only Ralph Kramden:

I will be HONORED when I finally have enough readers to warrant people making "FIRST!" comments.

And yes, the plot is moving. Starting with the next chapter (which is about 30% meatier than the others, incidentally), we'll start getting more action.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-05-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 283163)
If you're still awake, you get the pleasure of being one of the first to read Chapter 6 of Dark Mercury! You'll be the envy of all your friends (or at least of Oryx Tempel and Kick Frenzy, maybe Spaceman Opus...some others...).

Get to it while the getting is good! Be in before the morning's :qft: whoring!

Oh, and :qft: :D

Kick Frenzy 10-08-2010 02:17 AM

Just got done catching up with Chapters 6 & 7.

I won't say anything, but oof! What a doozy!
(And now waiting for the next installment(s))

Augustus Bainbridge 10-08-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 284404)
Just got done catching up with Chapters 6 & 7.

I won't say anything, but oof! What a doozy!
(And now waiting for the next installment(s))

Shh, it's a secret that Chapter 7 has been published yet!

Okay, it's not a secret any more. But I'm still going to whore it out in the morning. :D

Augustus Bainbridge 10-08-2010 01:45 PM

Hey, Augie here to whore himself out a little more.

Chapter 7: Read it.

Also, as if me whoring myself out isn't good enough, I'd like to officially invite all of you to be my literary pimps as well. Since it seems like I'm in a good writing flow, I'm wanting to push the site out to a broader audience.

If you like it enough to pass it around, feel free to link it anywhere you think might be relevant and interested.

If you haven't read it, but like me well enough ( :) ), feel free to do the same.

If you want me to STFU already, that's cool too.

ETA: If you DO share it around somewhere, and let me know where, I'll offer you some manner of thank-you gift. :)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-11-2010 11:23 PM

Chapter 8 is now up to join Chapter 7 in all its...chapterness. The last chapter was a bit darker, this chapter is a bit lighter.

As always, feedback appreciated, either in this thread, over IM, comments on the website. Hell, I'll give you my phone number if you want to talk about it the old-school way.

But in the meanwhile, read up.

JohnnyVann 10-11-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 285430)
As always, feedback appreciated, either in this thread, over IM, comments on the website. Hell, I'll give you my phone number if you want to talk about it the old-school way.

1-900-AUGY-LUV?

Augustus Bainbridge 10-12-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 285435)
1-900-AUGY-LUV?

Awwwww yeah.:fap:

Augustus Bainbridge 10-12-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 285430)
Chapter 8 is now up to join Chapter 7 in all its...chapterness. The last chapter was a bit darker, this chapter is a bit lighter.

As always, feedback appreciated, either in this thread, over IM, comments on the website. Hell, I'll give you my phone number if you want to talk about it the old-school way.

But in the meanwhile, read up.

:qft:

I only really :qft: this time because my hit count is unnaturally low this time around. :'(

Spaceman Opus 10-12-2010 01:38 PM

Off to find new WiFi spots and new IPs for ya!

:D

Spaceman Opus 10-12-2010 01:53 PM

And I thoroughly enjoyed Chapter 8...always good to introduce a good looking woman into the mix :)






























Although I've got a feeling about her.......

Augustus Bainbridge 10-12-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman Opus (Post 285591)
Off to find new WiFi spots and new IPs for ya!

:D

My numbers went up so much after I reposted this here and on FB that I'm kind of wondering if you did! :)

JohnnyVann 10-12-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 285637)
My numbers went up so much after I reposted this here and on FB that I'm kind of wondering if you did! :)

I posted 1-900-AUGY-LUV on the bathroom wall at the gas station. Hope that helps

Augustus Bainbridge 10-12-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 285649)
I posted 1-900-AUGY-LUV on the bathroom wall at the gas station. Hope that helps

It might not help with this, but it'll help with paying the bills. :)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-15-2010 01:34 AM

Yet more self-serving :spam: : Chapter 9 is now posted at Dark Mercury, so go enjoy the hell out of it.

This chapter was HUGE and ungainly (almost twice as long as previous chapters have been), and I spent all night whipping it into shape. Enjoy!

Kick Frenzy 10-15-2010 02:40 AM

Whew! Finally read Chapter 8, then 9. Good stuff, some nice developments throughout and... the lock tech on that briefcase was awesome!

And don't worry, the thicker Chapter 9 didn't come off as any kind of a lumbering beast at all... more like a bigger, juicier steak! Mmmmm... steak.
Looking forward to the next installment, as always.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-15-2010 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 287036)
And don't worry, the thicker Chapter 9 didn't come off as any kind of a lumbering beast at all...

Well, that is (at least in part) because I bludgeoned it from about 5,500 words down to 3,500. I've been a little sick, and when I'm sick, I start to ramble...whether talking or writing. :yep:

Spaceman Opus 10-15-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 287036)
And don't worry, the thicker Chapter 9 didn't come off as any kind of a lumbering beast at all... more like a bigger, juicier steak! Mmmmm... steak.
Looking forward to the next installment, as always.

I didn't even notice the extra length...matter of fact, I want more!

MOAR!

:)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-15-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman Opus (Post 287059)
I didn't even notice the extra length...matter of fact, I want more!

MOAR!

:)

In a perfect world, I'd be updating Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and you'd get moar. Two chapters a week is proving a pretty aggressive pace as it is, though.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-15-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 287002)
Yet more self-serving :spam: : Chapter 9 is now posted at Dark Mercury, so go enjoy the hell out of it.

This chapter was HUGE and ungainly (almost twice as long as previous chapters have been), and I spent all night whipping it into shape. Enjoy!

:qft:

But this time, it's because I forgot to mention that Chapter 9 has two special, secret tributes to Second Citizen in it. Let me know if you catch them :)

JohnnyVann 10-15-2010 12:22 PM

Ok Auggy, I ran out of quarter for the 1-900-AUGGY-LUV and started reading. You are soliciting feedback but I want to know honestly how critical you want me to be. I was both hated and loved in my college creative writing club for my critical reviews.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-15-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 287136)
Ok Auggy, I ran out of quarter for the 1-900-AUGGY-LUV and started reading. You are soliciting feedback but I want to know honestly how critical you want me to be. I was both hated and loved in my college creative writing club for my critical reviews.

Ooh, that's a challenging question.

I think that, on the whole, I'm very open to harsher criticism. That being said, while I'm not hoping to keep the comments on the site pristine and complimentary, I do worry a bit about the possibility of being lambasted by an expert scaring first time readers away.

Maybe something like this: If you want to tear into me (which I invite, actually), maybe send it to me in a PM or an email. If it's basic criticism and suggestions, I'd love for it to be on the site, so that others can chime in.

I know that by posting first drafts in relative realtime (Ch9 was more like version 1.5), I'm opening myself up for such assessment, though, which is one of the main reasons why I made the blog...I want to get better.

So, bring it...one way or the other. And thanks. :)

Ayu Sura 10-16-2010 02:16 AM

You talked about a coffee shop in Rogers Park - I wondered if you were talking about the UncCommon Cup...

ETA: I used to work at 111 E Wacker when Houlihans was still there :)

Augustus Bainbridge 10-16-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayu Sura (Post 287455)
You talked about a coffee shop in Rogers Park - I wondered if you were talking about the UncCommon Cup...

ETA: I used to work at 111 E Wacker when Houlihans was still there :)

Ah, Houlihan's is gone? That's good to know...I asked another friend from Chicago to double-check my Chicago-isms, but maybe I should recruit you as well.

And technically, I was referring to the long-gone No Exit Café. I used to live a block from there, and it was where I wrote my first novel (an "epic" high fantasy adventure...:rolleye: ). I'm not naming it, but I *am* pretending it is still there.

All that being said, I *did* choose 111 E. Wacker for a plot-related reason that is NOT the Hyatt. :)

Kick Frenzy 10-17-2010 03:10 PM

Oh! Duh! I see it now!

The "geeky club" which I'm guessing the atmosphere is written to match our very own Bunker/forums. :)

/me looks at the calendar. Damn. Not wed/Fri yet.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-17-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 287760)
Oh! Duh! I see it now!

The "geeky club" which I'm guessing the atmosphere is written to match our very own Bunker/forums. :)

THAT, and the fact that Jacob refers to someone's "techie-wiki nonsense". :)

Quote:

/me looks at the calendar. Damn. Not wed/Fri yet.
Next chapter goes up late tomorrow night. :)

Ayu Sura 10-17-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 287621)
Ah, Houlihan's is gone? That's good to know...I asked another friend from Chicago to double-check my Chicago-isms, but maybe I should recruit you as well.

And technically, I was referring to the long-gone No Exit Café. I used to live a block from there, and it was where I wrote my first novel (an "epic" high fantasy adventure...:rolleye: ). I'm not naming it, but I *am* pretending it is still there.

All that being said, I *did* choose 111 E. Wacker for a plot-related reason that is NOT the Hyatt. :)

Errr you know what? According to google maps it's still there, so ignore what I said :)

ETA: Google maps also says No Exit is still there - it's a block away from the Common Cup :) I *thought* it sounded familiar.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-17-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayu Sura (Post 287922)
Errr you know what? According to google maps it's still there, so ignore what I said :)

ETA: Google maps also says No Exit is still there - it's a block away from the Common Cup :) I *thought* it sounded familiar.

No Exit is kind of still there, but it is a performance space for The Heartland Cafe...which I hear is also having financial trouble now.

I kind of dream about going back to Chicago to reopen the original No Exit someday.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-18-2010 11:17 AM

I just wanted to say a quick "thank you" to everyone who has taken the time to read through my online-novel so far, and a second "thank you" to all of those who have given feedback.

The number of site views has been steadily climbing, and this is something I hope continues (or at least stays at a nice, high level) for as long as possible. You folks here have been a big part of my views, and I'm loving that. I may (still an outside shot at this point, though) have made a really valuable contact from this exercise, too.

Chapter 10 will be going up later this evening, and I'm considering throwing in a couple of small character studies on separate pages (outside of the main flow of the book) for people who might like a little more information.

But the support from you guys has rocked.

Kick Frenzy 10-18-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 287797)
THAT, and the fact that Jacob refers to someone's "techie-wiki nonsense". :)

YES! I remember noticing that while reading it, now that you bring it up!
(Just checked, Chap 10 not up yet )

Augustus Bainbridge 10-19-2010 12:08 AM

Well, Chapter 10 is posted now. It's a little shorter than the previous chapter, but considering the contents of this one, I felt like it needed to stay the way it is rather than be unnecessarily embellished.

Click here to go directly to Chapter 10.

Click here to go to the main site if you've got catching up to do.

I'll make it up to you, length-wise, in Chapter 11, promise.

Spaceman Opus 10-19-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 288531)
Well, Chapter 10 is posted now.

Yay! :dancingbanana:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 288531)
I'll make it up to you, length-wise, in Chapter 11, promise.

s'OK...those of us that are Deadheads know that longer does not always equal better :)
























I mean, c'mon...a 45 minute Dark Star?

JohnnyVann 10-19-2010 12:56 AM

Hey, it's not the length of your, uhm, chapter that matters, it's how you use it.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-19-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 288559)
Hey, it's not the length of your, uhm, chapter that matters, it's how you use it.

I got your 4000 word beast RIGHT HEAH!!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Second Life® and Linden Lab® are trademarks of Linden Research, Inc.
Second Citizen MK II Forums are not affiliated with or sponsored by Linden Research.
© 2009 - 2011 Second Citizen MKII [SC MKII]