Second Citizen MK II

Second Citizen MK II (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/index.php)
-   Websites (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dark Mercury: Book Zero (my serialized novel) (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=9806)

Lula Svoboda 07-01-2012 06:49 AM

Auggie, I admit when I first purchased the ebook I was doing it to throw my support to a fellow SC friend I admire. I don't usually read fiction and yet here I am at 4am reading it. Usually books put me to sleep. Enough said.

Sansarya 07-01-2012 09:35 AM

And then you get to the end and the "Aww, man, that's all?"

Augustus Bainbridge 07-01-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery (Post 441737)
Wil Wheaton.

P2

With the amount of Twitter and Facebook followers he has, if I could get Wheaton behind ANY project I work on, I'd be set.

Augustus Bainbridge 07-01-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sally Rosebud (Post 441734)
Voice acted by the SC crew. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery (Post 441746)
Now, that could be quite cool.

P2

Tell you what. If I sell over...500 copies by the end of the year, I'll make this happen.

I'll send everyone out dialogue lines to record, and I'll re-edit them back together. :)

Kick Frenzy 07-01-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 441842)
Tell you what. If I sell over...500 copies by the end of the year, I'll make this happen.

I'll send everyone out dialogue lines to record, and I'll re-edit them back together. :)

Now there's some incentive to get us to get the word out!

:kick:

(Umm, how many copies have you sold so far?)

Sally Rosebud 07-01-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 441842)

Nice.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Phoenix Psaltery 07-01-2012 08:52 PM

The only issue with that is the typical person is gonna have an ordinary sound card to record with, which ('scuse my Francais) is gonna sound like shit.

I guess we could have everybody come here so I could record them all with my pro-level mic and audio interface. Party time!

:thumbsup:

P2

Augustus Bainbridge 07-01-2012 09:37 PM

Agreed, but I think this is more for fun than for marketing...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Vengence Opus 07-01-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery (Post 442053)
The only issue with that is the typical person is gonna have an ordinary sound card to record with, which ('scuse my Francais) is gonna sound like shit.

I guess we could have everybody come here so I could record them all with my pro-level mic and audio interface. Party time!

P2

I don't know what you're talking about.

My bathroom + 80's library tape recorder = AWESOME

Audible here we come!

JohnnyVann 07-01-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery (Post 442053)

P2

Will Sans make Frybread?

Augustus Bainbridge 07-01-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 441968)
(Umm, how many copies have you sold so far?)

60, but the initial rush is over. It's been stuck at 60 for a few days now.

Augustus Bainbridge 07-02-2012 12:21 PM

I have sold precisely ZERO books in July so far. I know it's early on the second, but man it makes looking at the website depressing.

Time to get out and start pimping myself a bit harder.

JohnnyVann 07-02-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 442168)
I have sold precisely ZERO books in July so far. I know it's early on the second, but man it makes looking at the website depressing.

Time to get out and start pimping myself a bit harder.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2gufndk.jpg

Augustus Bainbridge 07-02-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 442186)

Hey, pimpin' ain't easy.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...1-1024-768.jpg

Augustus Bainbridge 07-02-2012 02:37 PM

Or perhaps:

http://rumplo.s3.amazonaws.com/image...284/9284-0.jpg

Phoenix Psaltery 07-02-2012 03:16 PM

P2

JohnnyVann 07-02-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 442186)

Auggie,please tell me you have that coat and hat

Kick Frenzy 07-02-2012 08:28 PM

I know yer sales may be hurtin, baby...
But...

Augustus Bainbridge 07-02-2012 09:28 PM

I have an idea, if you would all humor me for a bit.

I know I've asked some of you to cast the movie. Now...let's make the soundtrack!

If you've read the book, and you've associated any songs with any of the characters, drop a link in here!

If anyone gets into this, I'll jump in too, but I don't want to color anyone else's views yet. :)

Kick Frenzy 07-02-2012 11:27 PM

Damn that sounds like fun!
I'd have to re-read the book to get a good feel for that... but, I still don't see it connecting to your Amazon thing and I want you to get the numbers for it over there, plus it makes sense to buy it with the account I already have instead of creating a new one.

Maybe... I REALLY want that paperback!! :D

Oh.. and I'm assuming we can pop down songs for scenes as well as characters?

JohnnyVann 07-02-2012 11:48 PM

Web Link   |   Mobile Link

Augustus Bainbridge 07-02-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 442368)
Damn that sounds like fun!
I'd have to re-read the book to get a good feel for that... but, I still don't see it connecting to your Amazon thing and I want you to get the numbers for it over there, plus it makes sense to buy it with the account I already have instead of creating a new one.

Maybe... I REALLY want that paperback!! :D

Oh.. and I'm assuming we can pop down songs for scenes as well as characters?

Absolutely. But no need to wait to buy it post merge, they're different sales lists.

Augustus Bainbridge 07-02-2012 11:54 PM

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that its your same Amazon account.

Last-case, I just ordered ten for myself, you could PayPal me for an autographed copy. :)

Kick Frenzy 07-02-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 442378)
you could PayPal me for an autographed copy. :)

OOH!
I like the sound of that!

Phoenix Psaltery 07-03-2012 12:09 AM

Me too. In a few decades, that autographed first edition will be worth a fortune.

Can we get a COA with those? :)

P2

Kick Frenzy 07-03-2012 01:19 AM

Maybe for Kayla?

(Thanks to Io for the Goldfrapp post that ultimately helped me find the song above.)

Phoenix Psaltery 07-03-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 442168)
I have sold precisely ZERO books in July so far.

Well, now you've sold at least one in July. (Goes to start reading despite the fact that it's 4am)

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Augustus Bainbridge 07-03-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 442401)
Maybe for Kayla?

(Goldfrapp snip)

Okay, my turn.

First, the song that inspired Kayla in the first place, sorta... (more explanation on that in the next book)

Sidebar: I've actually met Jennifer (the singer in the image there), and if she can act, I'd consider asking her to PLAY Kayla. She's one of the nicest people I've met.

And, when I was writing her, I was torn between two "hacker" names for her, Tempest and another which is lost to memory. Right as I was at the point where I had to make a decision to keep writing, this song came on Pandora:

I won't say if the song is the harbinger of spoilers for future books or not. :) I picture her mid-hack when I hear this song, though.

Kick Frenzy 07-03-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 442472)
Sidebar: I've actually met Jennifer (the singer in the image there), and if she can act, I'd consider asking her to PLAY Kayla. She's one of the nicest people I've met.

She looks a lot like how I pictured Kayla!!
Now I'm drooling over the idea of the Dark Mercury series as a movie series. :D

(And, what would be the best way to do that PayPal autographed version?)

Augustus Bainbridge 07-03-2012 07:22 PM

I should have my prints in a week or so. Once I'm sure there won't be any problems, we can discuss details (PayPal works for me).

Kick Frenzy 07-03-2012 10:25 PM

Sweet... PayPal works for me too. :)
And even though it won't be through Amazon, I can write up a review there once I've read it.

*Dances all happy-like*

Augustus Bainbridge 07-05-2012 12:35 PM

Would anyone be interested in trading some REALLY basic web-design work (literally a two page site...I'm just inept with web-stuff) for an autographed copy of my book?

If so, let me know!

Phoenix Psaltery 07-06-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 443138)
Would anyone be interested in trading some REALLY basic web-design work (literally a two page site...I'm just inept with web-stuff) for an autographed copy of my book?

If so, let me know!

I can do that. PMed you my e-mail, although I suspect you could just have had Kayla find me. ;)

P2

Phoenix Psaltery 07-06-2012 11:36 AM

I purchased the book on Tuesday, but my time has been hit and miss since then, what with dialysis sessions and assembling a gas grill and such, I didn't have a chance to get serious about reading until Wednesday night. By the time I was into about the third chapter, I could scarcely stand to put it down.

I finished reading in a 2-1/2 hour session from about 10:30 last night until 1am. The entire time, my theater major / movie lover's / musician's brain was picturing the characters, the scenes, the sets, even the incidental music.

This book is incredibly well written and the plot thus far intriguing and engrossing.

If you haven't bought this thing yet, you are utterly without excuse. Log in to Amazon right now and buy it. I said NOW.

If you don't have a Kindle, you should buy one just to read this book. (I'm kidding, you can just download a Kindle app for your computer or smartphone. Or order the paperback if you're a real Luddite, in which case what are you doing reading this post? Shouldn't you be at a barn raising or something?)

I cannot wait for part de deux.

P2

Phoenix Psaltery 07-06-2012 12:44 PM

OK, more sycophantic posting (no, not really -- I just think everyone should read this book!):

Quote:

Originally Posted by P2 on Facebook

I want to recommend this book to everyone on my Friends List. It's one of the most engrossing novels I have read in a long time. By the time I was into about the third chapter, I could scarcely stand to put it down.

I finished reading in a 2-1/2 hour session from about 10:30 last night until 1am. The entire time, my brain was picturing the characters, the scenes, the sets, even the incidental music of this thing as a film, because it deserves to be made into a movie. Yes, it's that good.

The first volume in what the author plans to be a five part series, Haven and Hope is future tech science fiction, but not so far removed from our society. It's a world where data connectivity is even more important to corporations and individuals than it is today, if that's possible, and corporate espionage goes far deeper than it does today, if THAT is possible.

Jacob Dane grew up in the foster care system and, through an unfortunate incident, graduated directly from there to prison. Now he's out through the intervention of a program that has wired him for direct data transfer, the implications and use of which he doesn't yet totally comprehend himself.

My recommendation is that you log in to Amazon right now and buy it. The Kindle version is only $2.99. If you don't have a Kindle, you should buy one just to read this book. (I'm kidding, you can just download a Kindle app for your computer or smartphone. Or there's a paperback version available if you're a real Luddite, in which case what are you doing reading this post? Shouldn't you be at a barn raising or something?)

DISCLAIMER: I have known the author as an online acquaintance for several years. However, my comments on this book are based on its quality, not our friendship.

What, are you still here? This post is over. Get thee to Amazon.com!

P2

Augustus Bainbridge 07-06-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery (Post 443410)
OK, more sycophantic posting (no, not really -- I just think everyone should read this book!):

P2

Wow...just...wow. Thanks so much. :)

Kick Frenzy 07-07-2012 12:53 AM

I can't wait to get a signed paperback copy!
(I promise not to send it back with red pen marks. ;))

I'm really looking forward to reading the finished version of this... partially because I don't want to leave any reviews until I do and have the fresh rush of awesomeness running through my brain veins!

Augustus Bainbridge 07-11-2012 09:49 PM

The paperback copies are in!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...83686320_n.jpg

I'm already going to need to order more, I sold two within minutes of opening the box at work!

I'll be sending some people info about getting the signed copies out. :)

More book-related announcements coming tomorrow!

Kick Frenzy 07-12-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 445242)
The paperback copies are in!

I'm already going to need to order more, I sold two within minutes of opening the box at work!

I'll be sending some people info about getting the signed copies out. :)

More book-related announcements coming tomorrow!

http://tommy.ismy.name/wp-content/up...10/excited.jpg

JohnnyVann 07-12-2012 12:58 PM

Auggie, just want to say I'm proud of you, envious of you and jealous of you. Zillions of people say they want to write a book but very very few ever do.

You da man!