Second Citizen MK II

Second Citizen MK II (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/index.php)
-   Websites (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dark Mercury: Book Zero (my serialized novel) (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=9806)

Augustus Bainbridge 09-08-2010 02:09 PM

Dark Mercury: Book Zero (my serialized novel)

So, seeing as how I don't post a lot on SC-II, this will seem extra-spammy to some of you. For those of you who remember me from the days of SC-prime, though, I thought I'd throw this out there.

In order to drum up some interest in the novels I've written (and am just now beginning to try to sell), I've started a serialized prequel, to be published in blog form. The setting is early-Cyberpunk, as the technology typical to the milieu is just being introduced.

Dark Mercury: Book Zero

It won't be as polished as my actual novels, but hopefully it will still be something some of you might enjoy.

And I figure if I can't take the snark level of SCers, I shouldn't even be trying to get published. :)

Lucifer Baphomet 09-08-2010 04:01 PM

Awesome

Sally Rosebud 09-08-2010 04:04 PM

:fangirl:

I wish you the best of luck in getting published!

I'll come back and read as soon as I'm feeling a bit better. :beesknees:

Envoy Costagravas 09-08-2010 04:35 PM

1. This seems extra-spammy to me.
  2. The color choices on the blog are predictable and hard on my eyes.
  3. Gabe might be more harsh on this than I am being, though I could be wrong.
  4. Best of luck, Augie, I'll start reading tonight!

Spaceman Opus 09-08-2010 04:47 PM

Fantastic!

Very engaging, and I want moar.

Augustus Bainbridge 09-08-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Envoy Costagravas (Post 273024)
  1. The color choices on the blog are predictable and hard on my eyes.

Yeah, I know...my knowledge of HTML would fit in a thimble and still leave room for a fingertip, so it's just a default theme. I was worried about readability when I saw the post...I might try something a bit more legible if I can figure out how.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman Opus (Post 273027)
Fantastic!

Very engaging, and I want moar.

Thanks. :) There's actually two whole novels after this. If they don't sell by the time I finish this story, I'm going to self publish the Kindle/iBooks route, most likely.

Envoy Costagravas 09-08-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 273055)
Yeah, I know...my knowledge of HTML would fit in a thimble and still leave room for a fingertip, so it's just a default theme. I was worried about readability when I saw the post...I might try something a bit more legible if I can figure out how.

zOMGBBQ! Dude, only #4 was a serious answer! The blog is fine. :bouncy:

Spaceman Opus 09-08-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Envoy Costagravas (Post 273057)
zOMGBBQ! Dude, only #4 was a serious answer! The blog is fine. :bouncy:

In all fairness, I think it's a safe bet to say #3 was true as well :)

kita_dawg 09-08-2010 08:21 PM

Fun read!

I actually read them backwards XD But it still made sense. I actually like to be thrown in the middle of a story and be left with questions that are later answered. :p

Kick Frenzy 09-08-2010 09:28 PM

lol, kita.. I did the same thing. (Still made sense for me, too.) :P

Not a bad story! I'm intrigued and will try to keep up with Book Zero for now. You've got me hooked a bit here :)

Hope to see you published soon!

Augustus Bainbridge 09-16-2010 01:44 PM

Chapter 2 of my blog-novel is online now at http://darkmercury.wordpress.com/ . Go have a look-see! I've cleaned up the flow of the site too, so only the first paragraph of each chapter appears without a click-through. Much easier to follow now.

Oh, and I'll keep coming back here and waving my little ego-flag every time I update, unless I'm told it's inappropriate. :D

YOUR MOM 09-16-2010 04:42 PM

Good deal Augie and good to see you here. I'll do some reading on my next ten hour park.

Augustus Bainbridge 09-16-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOUR MOM (Post 276103)
Good deal Augie and good to see you here. I'll do some reading on my next ten hour park.

Thanks, Mama Leck. Eventually, I'm going to grovel to everyone I know to spread the link around, but I'm waiting until I'm sure I'm in the writing mode.

I really ought to come up with a clicky-banner type sig line, but I has the dumb when it comes to that sort of thing.

Kick Frenzy 09-17-2010 12:09 AM

Just finished reading Chapter 2. Looks like you have me hooked.

Damn you. :P

Augustus Bainbridge 09-22-2010 12:37 PM

And, here's your weekly spam to let you know that, yes, Chapter 3 is now posted.

Eventually, once the site has legs, I can stop posting this. Right now, it's all about self-promotion.

Out of curiosity, *if* I asked...would anyone be willing to spread the link around a little bit and help a struggling writer out?

I wonder if anyone is subscribed to/is ignoring this thread. :)

Kavik Brock 09-22-2010 03:09 PM

I'll have to take some time to check this out, mang! Cool stuff.

And, try to show some 'ePub format' love when you publish, too. :D Works better for those of us that are of the 'B&N nook' kind. :)

Augustus Bainbridge 09-22-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kavik Brock (Post 278163)
I'll have to take some time to check this out, mang! Cool stuff.

And, try to show some 'ePub format' love when you publish, too. :D Works better for those of us that are of the 'B&N nook' kind. :)

Looking into it now. My general HTML-relates skills are close to nil, but if I can figure out how, I will.

Kavik Brock 09-22-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 278196)
Looking into it now. My general HTML-relates skills are close to nil, but if I can figure out how, I will.

Oh, I should have been more specific. When you mentioned publishing for Kindle/iPad. They can all use different format. The nook uses ePub and PDF.

Augustus Bainbridge 09-22-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kavik Brock (Post 278199)
Oh, I should have been more specific. When you mentioned publishing for Kindle/iPad. They can all use different format. The nook uses ePub and PDF.

So if I put it up there in PDF format, you'd be able to view it from the little whoosiewhatsit?

I could do that. I was actually thinking of having a PDF of "The Story Thus Far" available in the sticky-post.

I'm also thinking about paying a friend to be a web-guru, give me a quick set-up on a better layout, and teach me how to do some seemingly simplistic stuff.

Of course, I would be far more motivated once I got above the 100 page-views mark. I'm addicted to watching the little "Blog Stats" line dwindle a little bit with each update. :-/

Willow Matthews 09-22-2010 08:09 PM

More please. :yep:

Augustus Bainbridge 09-22-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow Matthews (Post 278274)
More please. :yep:

I've got plenty more of Book Zero (plus two entire novels that take place about two to three years after this). I'm trying to stick to the post-per-week rate. To be honest, I finished Chapter 4 today, and I'm getting well into Chapter 5.

I think if I ever have two full chapters done at once, I'll post them both at the same time (like I did for the Prologue and Chapter 1).

I actually have some questions for people who have read it, but I'm going to wait until the next chapter, when the story is going a bit more fluidly.

:thinking:

Kavik Brock 09-22-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 278204)
So if I put it up there in PDF format, you'd be able to view it from the little whoosiewhatsit?

I could do that. I was actually thinking of having a PDF of "The Story Thus Far" available in the sticky-post.

I'm also thinking about paying a friend to be a web-guru, give me a quick set-up on a better layout, and teach me how to do some seemingly simplistic stuff.

Of course, I would be far more motivated once I got above the 100 page-views mark. I'm addicted to watching the little "Blog Stats" line dwindle a little bit with each update. :-/

A great thing about Wordpress (at least if you host it yourself, not sure about their free version on their site) is that you can just find a theme you like; you download the .zip file for it; then upload that .zip file into the 'Themes' area of your Wordpress blog and then you can activate.

Done.

At least that is how it works for the version I use for two blogs that I host on my own domain using Wordpress.

Willow Matthews 09-22-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 278327)
I've got plenty more of Book Zero (plus two entire novels that take place about two to three years after this). I'm trying to stick to the post-per-week rate. To be honest, I finished Chapter 4 today, and I'm getting well into Chapter 5.

I think if I ever have three full chapters done at once, I'll post them both at the same time (like I did for the Prologue and Chapter 1).

I actually have some questions for people who have read it, but I'm going to wait until the next chapter, when the story is going a bit more fluidly.

:thinking:

/fixed

I just read what you'd posted up to now and would have read more happily.

I have a week off that should be filled with study and I need mah coffee breaks!

So hurry it up Augie! :fist:

Oryx Tempel 09-22-2010 11:00 PM

Hmmm where did my post go? It disappeared... oh well.

1. Edit the Comments section and allow us to post comments w/out leaving an email addy!

2. I wanted more time in the rehab center... what did they do to him? Is he all tricked out Ninja-style, like River in Firefly? Does he have nano-thingies in his blood now? What?

3. When we first learned about the implants, they were supposed to go in his brain; now they're in his wrist... what gives?

4. I appreciate that you're trying to move ahead in the timeline, but sometimes I feel like I'm reading in fast-forward... maybe you could spend a little more "time" in each episode of his life... flesh them out a little?

5. All in all, good so far! I'm looking forward to the next installment. :)

Augustus Bainbridge 09-23-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow Matthews (Post 278334)
/fixed

I just read what you'd posted up to now and would have read more happily.

I have a week off that should be filled with study and I need mah coffee breaks!

So hurry it up Augie! :fist:

Well, to clarify, I meant three UNREAD chapters that I could post all at once.

But I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying.

Spaceman Opus 09-23-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 278204)

This offer got eaten in the Great :sc: Crash of September '10, but I'll take my kid's laptop around town and read from different wi-fi spots around if that'll help the page-views :)

Augustus Bainbridge 09-23-2010 12:27 AM

Going to try and address this again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel (Post 278342)
1. Edit the Comments section and allow us to post comments w/out leaving an email addy!

Fixed...I think...let me know if it didn't work.

Quote:

2. I wanted more time in the rehab center... what did they do to him? Is he all tricked out Ninja-style, like River in Firefly? Does he have nano-thingies in his blood now? What?
Yeah, I thought about that, but I wanted to leave it a bit more open to discovery. That being said, I think you're TOTALLY right on this. I reveal a bit more later, but maybe I'll write out an add-in to that chapter and post it somewhere.

Quote:

3. When we first learned about the implants, they were supposed to go in his brain; now they're in his wrist... what gives?
This could be clearer on my part. What I meant was that it's an implant in the brain, cable down the arm, interface plugs in the wrist. I think I deleted that part. You know, the chapter about the rehab center would be a great place for that.

Quote:

4. I appreciate that you're trying to move ahead in the timeline, but sometimes I feel like I'm reading in fast-forward... maybe you could spend a little more "time" in each episode of his life... flesh them out a little?
I think I usually do that with the bulk of my writing (I actually often feel like I'm moving too slowly), but I think that writing serially has made me feel like I have to have a BIG point every chapter...which I don't.

Quote:

5. All in all, good so far! I'm looking forward to the next installment. :)
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Spaceman Opus 09-23-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I thought about that, but I wanted to leave it a bit more open to discovery. That being said, I think you're TOTALLY right on this. I reveal a bit more later, but maybe I'll write out an add-in to that chapter and post it somewhere.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 278386)
This could be clearer on my part. What I meant was that it's an implant in the brain, cable down the arm, interface plugs in the wrist. I think I deleted that part. You know, the chapter about the rehab center would be a great place for that.

Funny....I kinda liked the vagueness (and that's pretty much what I had pictured).

Augustus Bainbridge 09-23-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman Opus (Post 278393)
Funny....I kinda liked the vagueness (and that's pretty much what I had pictured).

Well, my thought was that I wanted to leave it as "what the hell happened in there, anyway?" and then drop tidbits of it lately.

And I'd hazard a guess (not knowing anything about everyone's reading habits) that perhaps there's a correlation between recognizing that and having read much of the genre.

I could be totally off-base, though.

Willow Matthews 09-23-2010 02:41 AM

I bet we haven't heard the last of Megan.

:yep:

JohnnyVann 09-23-2010 12:19 PM

Are you going to incorporate the Mango Dance into the story?

Kick Frenzy 09-28-2010 08:59 PM

I'm ready to meet the future! Of this story!!

Great read, again. You've had some interesting developments so far, I'm looking forward to reading what happens next... should be an interesting chapter. :D

As for the pace of the story, I figured a lot was left out so that it could be referred to later and revealed that way. Also, I got the idea that the implants were what you described above.

One way to mitigate "I hafta have BIG" and including the extra info (if you wanted to and if it makes sense to) is to simply have longer chapters.

Augustus Bainbridge 09-28-2010 09:53 PM

In my never-ending quest for self-promotion, I wanted to announce that chapter 4 has been posted for your reading pleasure.

I'm considering going to a Tuesday/Friday release schedule, since my writing seems to be going pretty smoothly.

I am also going to probably :qft: this in the morning, just because I'm a whore.

Augustus Bainbridge 09-28-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 280789)
I'm ready to meet the future! Of this story!!

See, this thread delivers.

Willow Matthews 09-29-2010 05:41 AM

Please Auggie, can I have some moar?

:willow:

Augustus Bainbridge 09-29-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus Bainbridge (Post 280812)
In my never-ending quest for self-promotion, I wanted to announce that chapter 4 has been posted for your reading pleasure.

I'm considering going to a Tuesday/Friday release schedule, since my writing seems to be going pretty smoothly.

I am also going to probably :qft: this in the morning, just because I'm a whore.

:qft:

See. told you. Total whore.

Oryx Tempel 09-29-2010 01:51 PM

Every time you post a chapter, can you relink in that post? It's a PITA to go scrolling round to look for the URL... sorry. I'm just lazy. :)

YOUR MOM 09-29-2010 01:59 PM

:qft:

Augustus Bainbridge 09-29-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oryx Tempel (Post 281032)
Every time you post a chapter, can you relink in that post? It's a PITA to go scrolling round to look for the URL... sorry. I'm just lazy. :)

Ooh, yes. I didn't realize it wasn't in my sig after the first post...

I'll make sure to do that from here on, thanks.

Augustus Bainbridge 10-01-2010 02:15 PM

Continued literary whoredom:

Chapter 5 is now posted! I already have Chapter 6 and part of Chapter 7 written, as well. I'm going to try for a Tuesday/Friday updating schedule, but not officially yet.

Chapter 5

If you need to start some other place