Second Citizen MK II

Second Citizen MK II (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/index.php)
-   Dear Diary (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Comings and Goings of Mero (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=15551)

Merovigan 05-27-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cale Vinson (Post 434024)
OK.

This ........ may well be the single most frightening thing I have ever read on teh inner-tubz.

Cale "won't be getting much sleep this week" Vinson :freakout:







:p

I only use my powerz for good.

Honest!

Kick Frenzy 05-27-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathiee McMillan (Post 434020)
Kick,
So why don't you do a search on said person and post us the results. Do a search on the persons name alone. Lets see how many hits you get on said persons name. It would be like you doing a google search on the person.
So do the search and prove me wrong that you will get the 1 hit on the 1 person.

Well, I don't the persons RL name and I don't want to go digging up info on him.
I also don't feel like starting an account on one of those sites, which you do need to do to get their full results.
However, I have looked up other people I know personally and easily found the right person.

It may help to have all the info you're talking about, but you can find the same info with just a name and state if you're willing to dig through results (if there's a ton).

JohnnyVann 05-27-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaDaft Trollop (Post 433698)
And why you brought up Johnny, I have no idea. Johnny knows what my beef with him was

Actually I don't but I don't and I wish you would PM me and explain. I want a public drama over it though.

JohnnyVann 05-27-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathiee McMillan (Post 433716)
Trout:

its Cathiee! with 2 e's not 3
Your just being rude and a dick when you all do it with the extra e's
Its my fucking real first name.

Actually she's right, making fun of her name is lame (unless it was a chosen name and a stupid one). I remember a forum I was on before where people gave someone hell because their screen name was Jhonny and thought it was a typo. He was eventually chased off by it all. I later learned that was the correct spelling in his country (I think it was South America somewhere).

Like her or not it's we really should use her name as she types it. Her spelling is perfect fair bait though :p

JohnnyVann 05-27-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet (Post 433788)
Never claimed I was a saint.

I think the horns give that away :yep:

IsaDaft Trollop 05-27-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 434050)
Actually I don't but I don't and I wish you would PM me and explain. I want a public drama over it though.

Then perhaps you should go back thru your PMs. Because I did tell you, and you responded back to me. Then I stopped responding to your PMs, but you kept trying to get me to say in public. Which didn't help. But hey, I didn't bring it up, your friend did, and she was so wrong about it - but I wonder where she got the idea from?

JohnnyVann 05-28-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaDaft Trollop (Post 434062)
Then perhaps you should go back thru your PMs. Because I did tell you, and you responded back to me. Then I stopped responding to your PMs, but you kept trying to get me to say in public. Which didn't help. But hey, I didn't bring it up, your friend did, and she was so wrong about it - but I wonder where she got the idea from?

Not trying to start anything Isa, just don't understand. Messages are gone, I purged all messages a few months back.

Can you please send one more explaining it again? I'm like to know what I did so I don't upset you more

Joy Honey 05-28-2012 11:19 AM

why couldn't that be a PM?

JohnnyVann 05-28-2012 11:23 AM

She never responded to my PMs before

Morgaine Alter 05-28-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaDaft Trollop (Post 434062)
Then perhaps you should go back thru your PMs. Because I did tell you, and you responded back to me. Then I stopped responding to your PMs, but you kept trying to get me to say in public. Which didn't help. But hey, I didn't bring it up, your friend did, and she was so wrong about it - but I wonder where she got the idea from?

nope

but hey you can see my previous post here to see where I got that from

Trout 05-30-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathiee McMillan (Post 433716)
Trout:

its Cathiee! with 2 e's not 3
Your just being rude and a dick when you all do it with the extra e's
Its my fucking real first name.

It was one little typo so fuck off. You vomit up a sea of random, unconnected words on a daily basis and bitch and whine like a little crybaby when someone dares to correct you. You openly don't give two shits whether anyone understands even a single a word of your unintelligible, arble-garble, off-point, half-baked, disingenuous, stupid bullcrap, yet you have the gall to bitch at me over a typo that I've made once. One fucking time.

If you don't like it when people constantly misspell your name, then take it up with them and leave me the fuck out of your stupid little hissy fits.

IsaDaft Trollop 05-30-2012 07:17 PM

Whoa... :OO:

IsaDaft Trollop 05-30-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaDaft Trollop (Post 434062)
Then perhaps you should go back thru your PMs. Because I did tell you, and you responded back to me. Then I stopped responding ]to your PMs, but you kept trying to get me to say in public. Which didn't help. But hey, I didn't bring it up, your friend did, and she was so wrong about it - but I wonder where she got the idea from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 434098)
She never responded to my PMs before

Reading comprehension FTW. I won't go as far as to call you a liar, perhaps you "just forgot".


Anyway, I'm done with this part of the debate.

Merovigan 05-31-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 434460)
It was one little typo so fuck off. You vomit up a sea of random, unconnected words on a daily basis and bitch and whine like a little crybaby when someone dares to correct you.

And since this is the internet, she totally fits in.

Welcome to Online!

Merovigan 05-31-2012 05:44 AM

Ya know Trout, it must be nice having the intellect, training, wisdom, and writing ability you do. You can sit in judgment of others on the internet all day long and never lose, even when you're wrong, simply based on those strengths.

Why are you even in this thread? This is a Mero thread in the frigging diary section. Came looking for people weaker than you to pick on? Feeling a little ineffectual in real life, maybe? It's ok, we're here for you to spank bro! Kick the dog and then maybe you'll feel a little better ... smile a little more. We love you enough to let you.

Merovigan 05-31-2012 08:22 AM

Not to try and steal the focus of this thread, because it’s been fun watching yall go back and forth, but, I have to vent for a moment.

Folks – if you’re going to ask a manager to work from home on a regular basis, don’t say it’s because of your sick kid. That’s a really really really crappy reason to work from home. Let me tell you what it sounds like from a manager’s point of view:

Quote:

“Will you pay me to take care of my kid while I’m pretending to work? That would make my life so much easier. I have a lot of free cycles at work and instead of letting you, my employer, fill them up with work activities I’d like to fill them up with caring for my child at your expense.”
My goat has been gotten on this one. The person who asked isn’t even an employee – she’s a sub-contractor.

…I wonder what my responsibilities are there, and if I can just terminate the agreement without “firing” her, per se. She's not my employee, she's the employee of whatever company hired her and farmed her out to me.

Dakota Tebaldi 05-31-2012 09:54 AM

As long as she keeps producing, what difference does it make? Why don't you wait until her performance actually degrades before you consider getting rid of her?

Joy Honey 05-31-2012 10:00 AM

What kind of work are we talking about here? I fail to see how her working from home to take care of a sick kid in addition to doing her work is anything but win-win. She won't be "slacking off" at work worrying about said sick kid and you won't see her "slacking". Like Dakota said, as long as she keeps producing, what's the problem?

Lucifer Baphomet 05-31-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 434593)
Not to try and steal the focus of this thread, because it’s been fun watching yall go back and forth, but, I have to vent for a moment.

Folks – if you’re going to ask a manager to work from home on a regular basis, don’t say it’s because of your sick kid. That’s a really really really crappy reason to work from home. Let me tell you what it sounds like from a manager’s point of view:



My goat has been gotten on this one. The person who asked isn’t even an employee – she’s a sub-contractor.

…I wonder what my responsibilities are there, and if I can just terminate the agreement without “firing” her, per se. She's not my employee, she's the employee of whatever company hired her and farmed her out to me.

You want to sack a woman because her kid is sick?

Thats as skeevy as fuck.

It's because of managers with attitudes like that we need unions.

Dakota Tebaldi 05-31-2012 10:24 AM

You know, I really don't understand Mero's fundamental objection to unions. I mean, he tells us that taking advantage of a situation or even other people is perfectly okay if it helps you achieve success. Unions do that; they leverage their numbers and the fact that they can act as a unified front over the management in order to obtain better pay and more desirable employment terms for themselves. It is effective, too. I would think Mero'd be proud.

Cathiee McMillan 05-31-2012 10:31 AM

I would think it depends on what kinda of work she does at the office can it be done from home.
Is the company set up to have people work from home.
Is the company to supply her with a computer, internet connection. Will she supply it all her self?
What is in the original job description.

Can she go on leave with FMLA if her child is sick?
Can she use her Vacation and her own sick time to be out with her child?


I don't know how even a union would protect this person.
If the job is required to work in the plant and she is requesting special treatment. I doubt a union would go for it as well. The would suggest she goes out on Family Medical Leave for the time.

Lucifer Baphomet 05-31-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathiee McMillan (Post 434606)
I would think it depends on what kinda of work she does at the office can it be done from home.
Is the company set up to have people work from home.
Is the company to supply her with a computer, internet connection. Will she supply it all her self?
What is in the original job description.

Can she go on leave with FMLA if her child is sick?
Can she use her Vacation and her own sick time to be out with her child?


I don't know how even a union would protect this person.
If the job is required to work in the plant and she is requesting special treatment. I doubt a union would go for it as well. The would suggest she goes out on Family Medical Leave for the time.

I gotta say, Cathiee, you'd be in my eyes, a better manager than Mero.

Rather than looking to sack this woman, you're willing to let her work from home if it's feasible, and if it isn't feasible, you're trying to think of how to accommodate her.

Joy Honey 05-31-2012 10:43 AM

Let's put the she on the other foot, Mero. Let's say your daughter is the sick kid and you don't have anyone else to look after her. You are need to take care of your daughter and you can do most (if not all) of your work from home. Do you think you would deserve to get fired because you asked if you could work from home?

Cathiee McMillan 05-31-2012 10:56 AM

Well that is what we do at my work place.
We tend to bend over backwards for our employee's even though they may groan and bitch about some of the stuff we do. My boss use to lend money to the employees when they needed extra cash for big items. He said he felt like a bank some days.

But we allowed people to have adjustable hours, some people have left to go try other work and they didn't work out and we hired them back. (not many companies would do that)
We actually have several people that work out of state for us as well and use RDP.

We have people that work in the office 2 times a week rest they work from home and we had to get them all-in-one printers.
I play tech support for all these outside people as well. Its a pain in the neck cause when they have issue i have to ask is it their home computer or the remote desktop.
But we also as so many in hear dread "Outsource" over seas.
But you all would be surprised that even in the outsourcing countries all the crap we have to deal with. Our plants have been software audited every year. So the government can pull some more money in. We can't ship computers or programs to them for fear of the items vanishing in customs.
A T-1 line is costly, computers are costly. Its the labor that is cheaper. But to get these places to think efficiently doesn't work. They are more likely to throw more bodies to a problem than work out a workflow with scripting to make things easier and consistent.

So yea Not all Companies that are big are so evil and treat their people like crap.
Ages ago Typesetting had unions. I have several old Lead type drawer in my home from one of the companies we took over back in the day.

Ayu Sura 05-31-2012 10:56 AM

Mero makes it pretty clear that there is no room for compassion or really, any other view but his in this world.

I'm blessed with a boss who not only has a kid of his own, but because of it is open to being flexible for us to work from home just for logistic reasons, or for days when it's just impossible - like when our kid is sick and we're not allowed to put him in daycare. It's enough for our team to be in the office two days a week to have face time, with the rest of our communications done through IMs, emails and conference calls.

In return, I don't just work between the hours of 9 to 5 - I put in more than the minimal hours of work - because I appreciate this flexibility.

In your world, Mero, I know you believe there are very few people who would think or act like me - in fact I'm guessing you probably doubt that I put in more work in return for this flexibility - but as we're trying to show you, your world isn't the ONLY world that exists. You should try giving people a chance to prove you wrong, because you may get more out of it than you would otherwise.

Cathiee McMillan 05-31-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

3 users agreed. You should agree too, c'mon, you know you want to. (click it, click it now!)
Remove Your Agree
Cathiee McMillan, Joy Honey, Lucifer Baphomet
GASP
It's the end of the world DOOM
:D

Richard Waveington 05-31-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 434593)
Not to try and steal the focus of this thread, because it’s been fun watching yall go back and forth, but, I have to vent for a moment.

Folks – if you’re going to ask a manager to work from home on a regular basis, don’t say it’s because of your sick kid. That’s a really really really crappy reason to work from home. Let me tell you what it sounds like from a manager’s point of view:



My goat has been gotten on this one. The person who asked isn’t even an employee – she’s a sub-contractor.

…I wonder what my responsibilities are there, and if I can just terminate the agreement without “firing” her, per se. She's not my employee, she's the employee of whatever company hired her and farmed her out to me.

We get it, you're a bad ass Gordon Gekko type. well done.

JohnnyVann 05-31-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathiee McMillan (Post 434618)
GASP
It's the end of the world DOOM
:D


Web Link   |   Mobile Link

Merovigan 05-31-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi (Post 434600)
As long as she keeps producing, what difference does it make? Why don't you wait until her performance actually degrades before you consider getting rid of her?

Why don't I wait for her to do damage to my company's reputation with the client before I fire her? Is that what you said, because that's what I heard.

Merovigan 05-31-2012 12:20 PM

The work MAY be capable of being done remotely, but not to the same degree. You can’t power down your server remotely, and then power it back up (no wake-on-lan here, security issue.) So there’s that. Also, what if the remote connection isn’t available and she can’t remote in? Do we just lose that day since she’s already planned to be at home with the kid? That’s an impact and a medium risk. What do I gain by taking that risk, when I can easily find someone else who knows UNIX?

But, let us keep in mind the stupid reason she gave. That’s the key. She told me it was to take care of her kid and at no point did she offer another, more pertinent, rationale. And so my first thought was “What kind of mom is she?”

Do you see how fucked up that question is, and can you imagine how little I want to answer it? That’s not supposed to be on your resume and your employer shouldn’t have to know it. Maybe she’s the kind of mom who will ignore her sick kid when the client needs her, maybe she’s not. Maybe she’s the bestest ever multi-tasker and she can breast feed with one hand and install patches via scripts in UNIX with the other. Who knows but guess what – I don’t WANT to know. I don’t want to get involved in the personal lives of my employees. From there comes favoritism, and from there comes lawsuits.

I am a parent and I know children. But, what kind of child is hers? Is her child the kind who always wants her mom’s attention? Will the child be at the keyboard smashing buttons while she’s logged in? Again – I’m involved in an employee’s personal life and she didn’t sign up for that as an employee, nor did I sign up for it as a manager. I can’t manage her child and I feel dirty just thinking about asking her to do so. This is beyond inappropriate, to me.

During the discussion the logic never changed. Her argument remained that she needed the time at home to be with her kid. I communicated that if that was the case and we had really reached an impasse where she had to decide between her job and her kid, I hoped that the kid won and she’d be letting me know when her last day was.

Merovigan 05-31-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayu Sura (Post 434611)
You should try giving people a chance to prove you wrong, because you may get more out of it than you would otherwise.

Not when it's my ass on the line. I don't intend to find new work because I trusted someone whom I barely knew. Nor am I willing to take the risk of the damaged moral from "Well so and so can do it but I can't?!"

Not worth it.

Dakota Tebaldi 05-31-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 434628)
Why don't I wait for her to do damage to my company's reputation with the client before I fire her? Is that what you said, because that's what I heard.

What kind of damage could this one person possibly do for your client? How many employees do you have, three?

Assign her less-sensitive work; or give her a leave of absence.

Lucifer Baphomet 05-31-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 434631)
The work MAY be capable of being done remotely, but not to the same degree. You can’t power down your server remotely, and then power it back up (no wake-on-lan here, security issue.) So there’s that. Also, what if the remote connection isn’t available and she can’t remote in? Do we just lose that day since she’s already planned to be at home with the kid? That’s an impact and a medium risk. What do I gain by taking that risk, when I can easily find someone else who knows UNIX?

But, let us keep in mind the stupid reason she gave. That’s the key. She told me it was to take care of her kid and at no point did she offer another, more pertinent, rationale. And so my first thought was “What kind of mom is she?”

Do you see how fucked up that question is, and can you imagine how little I want to answer it? That’s not supposed to be on your resume and your employer shouldn’t have to know it. Maybe she’s the kind of mom who will ignore her sick kid when the client needs her, maybe she’s not. Maybe she’s the bestest ever multi-tasker and she can breast feed with one hand and install patches via scripts in UNIX with the other. Who knows but guess what – I don’t WANT to know. I don’t want to get involved in the personal lives of my employees. From there comes favoritism, and from there comes lawsuits.

I am a parent and I know children. But, what kind of child is hers? Is her child the kind who always wants her mom’s attention? Will the child be at the keyboard smashing buttons while she’s logged in? Again – I’m involved in an employee’s personal life and she didn’t sign up for that as an employee, nor did I sign up for it as a manager. I can’t manage her child and I feel dirty just thinking about asking her to do so. This is beyond inappropriate, to me.

During the discussion the logic never changed. Her argument remained that she needed the time at home to be with her kid. I communicated that if that was the case and we had really reached an impasse where she had to decide between her job and her kid, I hoped that the kid won and she’d be letting me know when her last day was.

What a cunt.

And no, a good manager has signed up to deal with aspects of their workers personal lives. see managing is actually about people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 431538)
My contract is over in August and I’ve been warned that, even if we win, I’m not wanted on the contract.

This makes more and more sense now.

Merovigan 05-31-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathiee McMillan (Post 434610)
I play tech support for all these outside people as well. Its a pain in the neck cause when they have issue i have to ask is it their home computer or the remote desktop.

This makes NO SENSE. You increase your overhead, which brings in no more money, to provide a service to your employees which, at best, makes them slightly less available than if you made them come in?

What, you think employees are hard to find or something?

Lucifer Baphomet 05-31-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 434632)
Not when it's my ass on the line. I don't intend to find new work because I trusted someone whom I barely knew. Nor am I willing to take the risk of the damaged moral from "Well so and so can do it but I can't?!"

Not worth it.

Your ass is out the door anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 431538)
My contract is over in August and I’ve been warned that, even if we win, I’m not wanted on the contract.

You said so yourself.

Merovigan 05-31-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi (Post 434633)
What kind of damage could this one person possibly do for your client? How many employees do you have, three?

Assign her less-sensitive work; or give her a leave of absence.

I'm not her direct employ so a leave of absence would require them to be involved and that's not what she asked for. She asked for a working arrangement different from what she was hired on for.

Merovigan 05-31-2012 12:32 PM

Oh, yeah, I'm still employed at the end of this, just not on this contract. I'm so good they're taking me into overhead.

Joy Honey 05-31-2012 12:34 PM

I'm sure that with your tact and grace you were able to speak to her actual employer about this dilemma and come to an amicable conclusion.

Ayu Sura 05-31-2012 12:55 PM

Was this supposed to be a permanent arrangement? Or temporary?

You're a manager of PEOPLE, not robots - and people aren't neat and programmed - they have lives that yes, you'll have to manage a bit. I'm not saying you bend over backwards and let them walk all over you, but you know, working out a compromise doesn't always mean you suffer - you can come out ahead.

Merovigan 05-31-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy Honey (Post 434609)
Let's put the she on the other foot, Mero. Let's say your daughter is the sick kid and you don't have anyone else to look after her. You are need to take care of your daughter and you can do most (if not all) of your work from home. Do you think you would deserve to get fired because you asked if you could work from home?

No, that was probably an emotional response. And it came from her insistence and me feeling like we weren't going to come out of this well, or happy. I get to say no, I'm the boss.In the conversation it felt like she was going to force it and it was really offputting.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Second Life® and Linden Lab® are trademarks of Linden Research, Inc.
Second Citizen MK II Forums are not affiliated with or sponsored by Linden Research.
© 2009 - 2011 Second Citizen MKII [SC MKII]