Second Citizen MK II

Second Citizen MK II (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/index.php)
-   Dear Diary (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Comings and Goings of Mero (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=15551)

Jorus 03-14-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 509057)
So I've been applying for jobs, since about 2/27. I've applied for seven so far and only heard back from one. I did three voice interviews with them and now I have a 4-hour in person interview. If I do well, they'll make the offer that evening and I'll be in a new job at the end of the month (doing Software Operations Project Management.) If not, it's back to the hunt.

I think this job will give my career the software experience I'll need to land a corporate gig in gaming. Plus, they'll pay for my education - I'm looking at getting a MA in Game Design. I have to put together a portfolio though, by November. So, yeah, that's more work to do. But fun work. Good stuff.

That's my life right now.

I'm going to throw this out here again: Portfolio is more important than anything else when breaking into game design. "Game Degree" candidates are being pushed out by the tens of thousands, and maybe 1% of those ever find their way into the actual "Games" industry. If you don't mind throwing in the after work "work" the best thing you could do is start cracking out simple indie games with a couple of friends.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post403236520 <- this is a thread for people who actively design games, they trade tips etc.

and here's a good post on reddit on the subject:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comm...t_1_find_your/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comm..._2_build_your/

Remember those game degree colleges are trying to sell you something.

Also it may be worth shelling out for a SA forums account. There are a lot of game devs that do one on one interaction in the threads for their various games, and Lum posts there as well. I've chitchatted with a couple of the wildstar devs.

Jorus 03-14-2014 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Io Zeno (Post 508271)
I was always under the impression that Lum was a hardcore programmer/developer.

Help Mero?

um.......

I know that he ran one of the biggest and best blogging sites for Ultima Online and I'm fairly sure he used his fame from that to catapult himself into the industry.

And yeah he was a db dev.

Google "Lum the mad" and you'll come up with his wikipedia article.

Bet you guys didn't know that you knew someone famous from these forums. I'm pretty sure I PK'd him once in UO :p

EDIT: oh lord he's working for Richard Garriot now. I'm not sure what to think about that. On one hand I loved the old Ultima games, on the other Richard hasn't put anything out that's been worth a shit since Ultima 7 and Ultima Online, and from reading the description of the game the only thing it has going for it is Richard Garriots name. Typing responses to NPC's? That sounds like a wishy washy mechanic that's going to get frustrating fast. Well at least it will be a return of the old GUARDS BANK A KILL macro's only someone will probably add "ACCEPT QUEST" to the end of it.

Conditional PVP flagging on quests. Well ok, I mean I'd like it because I'm a dickhead but it's going to frustrate carebears to no end.

Jorus 03-17-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorus (Post 509193)
I know that he ran one of the biggest and best blogging sites for Ultima Online and I'm fairly sure he used his fame from that to catapult himself into the industry.

And yeah he was a db dev.

Google "Lum the mad" and you'll come up with his wikipedia article.

Bet you guys didn't know that you knew someone famous from these forums. I'm pretty sure I PK'd him once in UO :p

EDIT: oh lord he's working for Richard Garriot now. I'm not sure what to think about that. On one hand I loved the old Ultima games, on the other Richard hasn't put anything out that's been worth a shit since Ultima 7 and Ultima Online, and from reading the description of the game the only thing it has going for it is Richard Garriots name. Typing responses to NPC's? That sounds like a wishy washy mechanic that's going to get frustrating fast. Well at least it will be a return of the old GUARDS BANK A KILL macro's only someone will probably add "ACCEPT QUEST" to the end of it.

Conditional PVP flagging on quests. Well ok, I mean I'd like it because I'm a dickhead but it's going to frustrate carebears to no end.

I just watched an alpha build of the game and it looks an awful lot like someone hasn't played an MMO since UO. Unnecessary bag overlays, drag and dropping loot instead of a hoover/autoloot. I hope Lum is being a naysmith over there, because there is absolutely no need for me to interact with a fucking bag on a corpse when in most modern MMO's I just like... push V.

Io Zeno 03-17-2014 11:23 PM

I knew Lum was a big deal, just forgot the particulars. :p

btw, you know an even bigger deal, a really fucking big deal and would shit yourself if you knew who this was. I mean it. No, I can't tell you but I wish I could.

/evil laugh

Cocoanut Koala 03-18-2014 12:05 AM

No fair!

Kristian 03-18-2014 12:11 AM

I came for the name dropping, and stayed for the mean tags that people added to this thread.

Io Zeno 03-18-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoanut Koala (Post 509377)
No fair!

Seriously, I wish I could tell just for the pleasure of watching you have your mind blown (and normally my response to these things is "meh, interesting, I guess") but I can't, of course. I am a trustworthy person and never divulge confidences. Even though it sometimes makes me wish I was a gossip. But then no one would ever trust me or tell me anything. Catch-22. :QQ:

:p

JohnnyVann 03-18-2014 09:57 AM

Are you talking about Lexxie being Hillary Clinton? I though everyone knew that.

Lucifer Baphomet 03-18-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVann (Post 509400)
Are you talking about Lexxie being Hillary Clinton? I though everyone knew that.

No.

She's talking about you being Miss Nicaragua in 1997

JohnnyVann 03-18-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet (Post 509403)
No.

She's talking about you being Miss Nicaragua in 1997

You promised not to tell, pendejo!

Kick Frenzy 03-18-2014 11:08 PM

Actually, she's protecting me...
I'm actually Christopher Lloyd.

;)

Merovigan 03-19-2014 03:09 PM

I got the job :-) Working out the details but I am officially in the "Software as a Service" industry.

What excites me about this new job is that it's in education, designing (and supporting) software that assess people's skills. I think it's just a small hop over to making Serious Games. Hell, if I do things right I won't even need to change jobs. I'll just walk into the boss's office one day and say "Give me part of my budget to make a game that trains our staff." Get that done and then turn it around and say "Now, lets sell this to other people."

But really, it's the journey that matters and I'm excited about the MA in Game Design journey. I missed out on that "fun" college experience because I was busy running away from poverty. Well, I'm firmly away from poverty, now. I'm not going broke. It's kind of an awesome feeling.

Jorus- I appreciate the tips; I'm definitely going for the MA in Game Design, though - that's just who I am. I want the letters, I want the in-person community, I want the contacts, and I want it on my resume. Plus I need it to make the "friends" I would design with. Especially since I'm more interested in managing game developers than necessarily BEING a game developer - my value add is leading more than doing. I'm good at this whole "Project Management" discipline and getting people to work the way I want them to work (read: the best, right, and only way.) I loathe the way game design companies get away with being shitty at project management just because they're "creative." Stupid shit there - I'm a corporate leader through and through and I'll be that 1% who delivers games that make money to companies like EA.

Maybe.

If I try hard, stick to it, and get just a little lucky, that'll be something I get done.

Jorus 03-26-2014 08:51 PM

Serious games as a training aid eh?

Kick Frenzy 03-27-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorus (Post 509618)
Serious games as a training aid eh?

DOO EET!!

Merovigan 03-31-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kick Frenzy (Post 509629)
DOO EET!!

Jorus, I'm not sure if this post means you are contemplating the same thing but if does then I echo the sentiment: DO IT! There's a real need for it and there's a ton of money to be made.

Kick Frenzy 04-03-2014 11:18 PM

And animate/design the whole damn thing as if it were inspired by Aeon Flux.

Becuz really... when teaching someone how to file paperwork, who wouldn't find it much cooler when elongated and using exaggerated movements for everything? :)

Merovigan 01-23-2015 01:18 PM

Life is good.

I’m in software now. Not games yet, but I knew I wouldn't start off in games. Instead I work for a company that makes the online tests that kids take. We’re giving something like 30 million tests this coming year. Kinda awesome. I’m not coding, but project managing which is really where my strength lies anyway.

In less than a week it will have been three years since my ex-wife (it’s official) and I split up over her hitting me. You would think that she would have moved on but, no. Still single and still sending me “I miss you” text messages. Got one yesterday, in fact. At some point she crossed a line from pathetic to creepy.

I’m getting surgery next month to undo the vasectomy, so I can make the babies again, this time with a more stable and healthy female. Kinda excited about doing it all over again with someone who will actually let me parent.

My portfolio is growing and once I’m with my company for a year (next month) I’m going to start applying for a Masters program in Game Design.

And … yeah. That’s life. Going to host an RP game tonight, bringing my daughter with me because she absolutely loves to role play. One of the other players is going to bring his daughter too so, hopefully they get along and the kiddo will have an RPing friend.

Life is good. Hope you all are well.

Cocoanut Koala 01-23-2015 07:24 PM

Hiya!

JohnnyVann 01-23-2015 08:39 PM

Hi, you new here? :dogpoke:

Kick Frenzy 01-23-2015 09:17 PM

HEY THERE!

Gratz on the job going as well as it is and the imminent game design degree!
Also, I hope y'all have a great time at the RP get-together!

Stop by more often though... even if just a quick update and a quick post in one of the thread games.
(we're dangerously close to becoming a ghost town)

Cocoanut Koala 01-24-2015 03:04 PM

Were not close to it, we ARE a ghost town! Just a few ole cowpokes still a-driftin' among the tumbleweeds.

Kick Frenzy 01-24-2015 03:11 PM

I s'pose that's true.
At least currently anyway.

Maybe someone should go mouth off to SLU and claim we're talking shit about them?
:lol:

Cocoanut Koala 01-25-2015 08:21 PM

Haha! That would get things going!

Joy Honey 01-25-2015 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Io Zeno (Post 509371)
I knew Lum was a big deal, just forgot the particulars. :p

btw, you know an even bigger deal, a really fucking big deal and would shit yourself if you knew who this was. I mean it. No, I can't tell you but I wish I could.

/evil laugh

Yes, I am really Elon Musk... :headexplode:

lol

Merovigan 02-25-2016 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a girl.

Attachment 2591

"But Mero! You got a vasectomy so as to spare the world any more of your progeny!"

Yeah, well, IVF is the workaround and it worked first time around so ... in about August the second daughter shall be born.

And there's still two viable embyros frozen so expect at least one more.

Hope everyone's alive, happy, and .... well, really what more is there?

Kick Frenzy 02-25-2016 11:03 PM

YAY! CONGRATS!!!
I bet she'll end up being awesome. :)

Also... good to see you around after *checks watch* a little over a year!
Apparently, you've been... busy. :rimshot:

Not many people around anymore, but it seems to have been picking up just a bit in the past couple weeks.
Come back more and maybe others will follow.. even to say, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?
lol

Lecktor Hannibal 02-29-2016 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 518565)
It's a girl.

Attachment 2591

"But Mero! You got a vasectomy so as to spare the world any more of your progeny!"

Yeah, well, IVF is the workaround and it worked first time around so ... in about August the second daughter shall be born.

And there's still two viable embyros frozen so expect at least one more.

Hope everyone's alive, happy, and .... well, really what more is there?

I am very very happy for you Mero!!
:thewave:

Kick Frenzy 02-29-2016 03:30 PM

Woah... Leck showed up!

It's like we're getting scattered flashbacks or something.
I like it.

:wave: Hi, Leck!

Cocoanut Koala 03-21-2016 04:49 PM

(Belated) congratulations, Mero!

Kick Frenzy 03-22-2016 01:01 PM

And a Coco, too!

Geez, Mero, maybe you should make more appearances!
lol

Bunnie 04-09-2016 02:16 AM

Yay for girls! Congrats, Mero!

Kick Frenzy 04-09-2016 10:27 PM

And Bunnie!

Mero, yousa maxi-big popular!

(I have no idea why I felt compelled to talk like Jar Jar Binks.)

Merovigan 08-11-2016 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what I made ... Attachment 2592

Govi 08-12-2016 05:11 PM

You're a tattoo artist now? :D

What a beautiful baby! Very very pretty.

:)

Merovigan 08-12-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govi (Post 518909)
You're a tattoo artist now? :D

What a beautiful baby! Very very pretty.

:)

Ha Ha!

Thanks. She's awesome. Life is good.

Hope you're well.

Kick Frenzy 08-14-2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovigan (Post 518908)
Look what I made ... Attachment 2592

Ohmigosh... SO CUTE!

Congrats to you and the mama, she's adorable!
(The baby ain't half bad either... :rimshot:)

But seriously, that's awesome. :)
(And she's the same sign as Lil Kick!)

So, she's a Leo.
Also, in Chinese astrology, it's the year of the Fire Monkey.
Good luck with that, lol.
(But really, it's a good combo.)

Have fun!
And try to get decent sleep when you can!

Bunnie 08-18-2016 03:02 AM

Gorgeous baby! Congrats, Mero! :fangirl: