Second Citizen MK II

Second Citizen MK II (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/index.php)
-   Gunny's Bunker (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   To: Sauron. Re: Your Battle Plan. (http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=19352)

Govi 12-16-2013 11:33 PM

To: Sauron. Re: Your Battle Plan.

http://2.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/91/3...attle-plan.jpg

Maureen Boccaccio 12-17-2013 09:30 AM

Evil Overlord, Inc.

Jen 12-17-2013 11:24 AM

Obviously an upstart callow neophyte who watched the movie without reading the books.

Reading the books changes everything.

Mostly because it takes so much longer....

:P

Jen Kawaguichi 12-17-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 505184)
Obviously an upstart callow neophyte who watched the movie without reading the books.

Or actually watch the movies again watching these parts:

Boromir: "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland. Riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!"

And when they make it through Ungoliant's tunnel (and Ungoliant was not just a "giant spider" but a primordial being in the shape of a spider), hey what's that big tower looming over the path? The watchtower of Cirith Ungol maybe? Full of watchers? Who capture little Frodo? Hmm, yes.

And why did the army of Men and Elves have to attack the main gate to Mordor?
Gandalf: "I've sent him to his death."
Aragorn: "No. There's still hope for Frodo. He needs time, and safe passage across the Plains of Gorgoroth."
Gimli: "How?"
Aragorn: "Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."
Éomer: "We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms."
Aragorn: "Not for ourselves, but we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us."

And that "dull sword" that cut off Sauron's finger that was still sharp enough 3,000 years later to slice open Boromir's finger when he touched it?

JohnnyVann 12-17-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 505184)

You're thinking of the S. i. m. a. r. i. l. i. o. n. :sleepy:

Govi 12-17-2013 08:16 PM

The Silmarillion was very poorly edited.

Phoenix Psaltery 12-17-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen Kawaguichi (Post 505201)
And when they make it through Ungoliant's tunnel (and Ungoliant was not just a "giant spider" but a primordial being in the shape of a spider)...

It wasn't Ungoliant's tunnel. It was Shelob's tunnel. She was, as you mention, some sort of being in spider form, but she was the "last child of Ungoliant," not actually Ungoliant herself.

Quote:

And that "dull sword" that cut off Sauron's finger that was still sharp enough 3,000 years later to slice open Boromir's finger when he touched it?
"Still Sharpe."

P2

Jen Kawaguichi 12-18-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Psaltery (Post 505215)
It wasn't Ungoliant's tunnel. It was Shelob's tunnel. She was, as you mention, some sort of being in spider form, but she was the "last child of Ungoliant," not actually Ungoliant herself.

Thanks. My brain is getting mushy.

Quote:

"Still Sharpe."

Lol. I didn't realize that was a joke/reference until now. Was that intentional in the movie?

JohnnyVann 12-18-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govi (Post 505210)

Oh, I enjoyed it. But I read it as a teenager a long time ago a it was difficult and seemed to last forever moving very slow. That may have been because of the editing :shrug:

Govi 12-18-2013 11:02 AM

When you contrast the Silmarillion with LotR and the Hobbit, it's clear that Tolkien père can write and self-edit. While he was living, it was said of the Silmarillion that Tolkien was holding it back because it needed work. He was right, it did.

Lucifer Baphomet 12-18-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govi (Post 505210)

The Silmarillion isn't so much a book as a collection of notes.

Phoenix Psaltery 12-18-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

"Still Sharpe."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen Kawaguichi (Post 505217)
Lol. I didn't realize that was a joke/reference until now. Was that intentional in the movie?

Yeah, evidently it was Jackson's little nod.

P2

Govi 12-18-2013 08:41 PM

How the heck did I miss this:

Aragorn & Arwen begat "A number of
unnamed daughters"
http://www.tolkien-online.com/images/jrr_tolkien.jpg
"Unnamed"?! Now, I KNEW from reading most of his works of fiction that women were few and far between, but this... Oy.

:yourmomqft:

clio 05-26-2014 10:42 PM

JohnnyVann 05-27-2014 09:52 AM

Hi Clio! :waves: