PDA

View Full Version : Can mice come up the drain?

Seven
01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Last night I left some dishes and pots and pans in the sink and this morning when I went in the kitchen to make breakfast I thought I saw a shadow move in the skin near the drain.

I don't know if you've every had mice in the house, but this is how it usually starts for me, with that "Did I see something?" moment.

And there was this little thing that looked like a mouse turd in the sink.

Before I could get a better look at it, some water spilled out of a bowl and washed it away. So I couldn't be sure. It could easily have been a burned seed from the multigrain bread.

Well, before I had second thoughts, I ran the garbage disposal, but it didn't catch anything.

So, I'm wondering, could a mouse come up the kitchen drain like that?

Briana Dawson
01-21-2010, 04:30 PM
In some areas depending on your sewer system yes. Most homes do not have sewer backflow cutoffs, therefore critters can travel up the pipes. Water pipes however are extremely small in a house, like 2" around which is skinny. Lower level rooms in homes that are at basement level tend to have wider pipe systems since they usually have the closet exit to the homes sewer run off.
It could be that it went down the pipe and then came up again.

More than likely the mouse was traveling your counters snacking on whatever crumbs it could find and then dipped into the jacuzzi, i mean sink for a drink.

You learn the oddest thing as a home owner.

Briana Dawson
01-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Oopsi forgot, those sewer pipes that lead out from the house like from the sink, toilet, etc are all rather big, and its the incoming water pipes that are small in diameter. So yea, you could have Desperaux, Jerry, and Mickey visiting every now and again from the sewers...You may want to get a Tom.

Forest
01-21-2010, 04:40 PM
It's also possible a mouse could go DOWN the sink drain after some yummy it smells and then come back up

Briana Dawson
01-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Freya! i am not a plumber! :fist: That sewer crap gets all confusing. I only know because i wanted to get my kitchen converted for a catering business but in Illinois your kitchen is required to have a sewer backflow cutoff so that if the sewer floods it can't flood into your kitchen making it unsanitary and unusable for food production. And also, we have clay pipes leading out from our house and the tree roots grow through them every year so we have to get them roto-rooted. Once we have that dug up and replaced with that plumbing plastic stuff they use nowadays that problem will stop.

So yea, that gave me some insight into how the home water and sewer system works.

Trout
01-21-2010, 04:53 PM
If you have a garbage disposal, I highly doubt that a mouse could get through the mechanism. Mice generally don't access a home through plumbing, although I guess it's possible. Sewer lines are generally mostly empty when not in use, with the exception of the P-trap, which is that bendy elbow part under the sink. It holds enough water to prevent airflow from the sewer lines into your house so you don't get sewer smells. The larger sewer lines are easily big enough to accommodate a mouse. The separate lines from your sink are usually 2 inch lines, which a mouse could also navigate.

Bottom line - it's possible but unlikely. Rats are big swimmers and have come up through toilets, but that's also very rare. You may have mice in your house, but they are probably getting in somewhere else. It's really surprising how small a hole they can fit through. I wouldn't be surprised if a mouse was attracted to the sink area, since there's a lot of food prep there, maybe some dirty dishes or crumbs, etc.

Jen
01-21-2010, 05:00 PM
If you're connected to a city sewer system, then it depends on the particular system. If you have a separate line, either a graywater line or a line that hooks to your septic tank, things are different.

First, if the line goes straight to the septic line, it flows directly into a septic tank and then out again via the leechfield pipes. To get into the pipes, the mouse would have to either go in via a tunnel that connected to the leechfield pipes, somehow navigate the septic tank and make it into the line that leads out from the house, then travel through that line and up through the pipes, find the ones that don't connect through the toilets but rather the sinks, and then navigate the "s" curve in the sink drain, then the garbage disposal [if it doesn't have a screen at the bottom to catch the largest chunks, I'd be surprised] and then come out of the drain. I consider it unlikely.

Even if it were a city sewer situation, just navigating the garbage disposal and the piping in the house seems unlikely to me as well.

If a mouse WAS in there, it probably came in by a crack between baseboard and floor, and/or the hole in the cabinet where the water/drainpipes go out. If you're going to try to trap it, that's the place to check for the little chocolate sprinkles they leave around.

eta: trout types faster than I do! :OO:

Gabe Lippmann
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
pixies, most likely

Seven
01-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just looked under the sink at the garbage disposal, and I think you all must be right about it blocking the little buggers.

I'm thinking that I was just mistaken. After all, there weren't other traces. I'll see how things stand tomorrow.

And just so you know: I don't usually leave stuff in the sink overnight.

Briana Dawson
01-21-2010, 06:45 PM
And just so you know: I don't usually leave stuff in the sink overnight.

Uh huh...

Do you charge for house work? :D

Macphisto Angelus
01-21-2010, 07:01 PM
It is not a mouse. It is a ghost.

So, feel safe. ;)

Bunnie
01-21-2010, 07:04 PM
The ghosties are here, in my new place. :eek:

Macphisto Angelus
01-21-2010, 07:06 PM
The ghosties are here, in my new place. :eek:

Tell them to go into the light. That works for the Ghost Whisperer.

Bunnie
01-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Ugh, Jennifer Love Huge-tits. :\

Macphisto Angelus
01-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Ugh, Jennifer Love Huge-tits. :\

I maintain that she is a decent actress.

With huge boobs.

Shagazm
01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
No, but snakes and earwigs can, and often DO!

Jen
01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
My daughter has NEVER invaded someone's garbage disposal.

Also: I have done banishings at former mental institutions as well as other Very Haunted places. However, while I do have big tits, I'm too old to profit by them. Much.

[eta: someone wants me to participate in a series about similar. I have seen stuff like Balloon Boy and Jersey Shore people going on, and do not wish to be the Balloon Psychic of the Jersey Shore, so I've been putting them off].

Gabe Lippmann
01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I maintain that she is a decent actress.

With huge boobs.

and a sparkly muff :frolic:

Macphisto Angelus
01-21-2010, 08:44 PM
and a sparkly muff :frolic:

Links please.

I never got the pleasure to see it.

Gabe Lippmann
01-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure where to get pictures of her goods, but she explains here

YouTube- Jennifer Love Hewitt talks about Vajazzling on Lopez Tonight

Gabe Lippmann
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
http://www.completelybare.com/waxing.php?osCsid=6d24517ce06a68dacd7b3876dcac3d56 #

cb with a Flair: (http://www.completelybare.com/waxing.php?osCsid=6d24517ce06a68dacd7b3876dcac3d56 #) Embellish your just waxed bikini with the Swarovski crystal design of your choice

Macphisto Angelus
01-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Oh, George lost a great op for a joke there.

If she had told me she could vajazzle my goatee........

YOUR MOM
01-23-2010, 12:59 AM
This is why I, as a man, have always closed the damned lid. :ew:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/29/can-rats-swim-up-through-the-urk-toilet
http://www.poopreport.com/BMnewswire/1162.html
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=935

YouTube- Toilet rat

YouTube- A rat crawled up my toilet

YouTube- Rat Dives Deep Swimming Underwater *** MUST SEE ***

YOUR MOM
01-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Props to Jennifer and George was bamboozled. LOL